Found Case Tool at Flea Market

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Found Case Tool at Flea Market

Post by deo-pa »

I picked this up this Case "FIXXIT" tool today. (Lightning bolt S, 6 dots = 1984). Blade opener + screwdrivers + knife blade. Mechanism on back allows each tool to slide in and out and lock in place retracted or exposed. Note the play on "XX" in the name of the tool. First one I've seen though they may be common as far as I know.

Dennis
Attachments
Case Tool-1.jpg
Case Tool-3.jpg
Case Tool-2.jpg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Found Case Tool at Flea Market

Post by Old Folder »

Dennis;
Unfortunately, we lost Walter (Blackie) six years ago this month in a Motorcycle accident. He was 71 years old. He was quite an inventor. His knives are very collectible.
What you have is a piece of his inventive history. I can not put a price on it. To me it would be priceless and a true keeper.
I have attached a bit of his history below. A big loss to our cutlery history.
https://www.knife-depot.com/blog/renown ... -in-crash/
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Very cool find, Dennis. I had never seen one of those before. ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

That's a great find Dennis. Hard core "Case Guys" would go nuts over that thing. I'd contact Steve and ask for some input on that one!! I guess you were in the right place at the right time. Extra cool... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Obviously not designed for knife repair so this was a glovebox type of kit? Interesting accessory from Case.
steve99f
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I can't help you out with much info but I know they had different face plates like Shooters tool. Some were in clam packs and others came in the Case silver and red box from the 90's. Here's a pic of mine.
024.JPG
023.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Your fixxit is from 1994, not 1984. I have no idea as to why Case did the stamp that way - maybe they had not enough room on that narrow tang for the 90's long tail C stamp. It is confusing, but I can assure you that its a 90's stamp. Question has come up several times on the Case collector's club forum.

In the early to mid 1990's, Case did a number of collaborations with Blackie Collins. Most only lasted a year or two. However, the "Ridgeback" hunters were very popular and may still be in the Case line.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice score Dennis ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Thanks to all for your feedback and comments. Steve, without your comment I would have gone through life showing off my 1984 Case tool... WRONG! The Case gurus would be snickering and thinking, "Rookie... doesn't even know what he has."

Dennis
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Great find I never seen one.
Keep Near the Cross.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

These were also branded as Zippo (who owns Case). My grandfather has one he got from a local concrete casting company in the mid '90s, it's got their name on the faceplate, and Zippo on the tang. I've always considered it a bit blocky in my opinion.

My question is, what's with the tang of the blade sticking out? Is it to serve as a pry tool or screwdriver?
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

My guess is it is a knife blade opener Cody. Seems too short to pry and too rounded at the edges for a screwdriver.

Dennis
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

deo-pa wrote:My guess is it is a knife blade opener Cody. Seems too short to pry and too rounded at the edges for a screwdriver.

Dennis
Good answer Dennis! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

deo-pa wrote:My guess is it is a knife blade opener Cody. Seems too short to pry and too rounded at the edges for a screwdriver.

Dennis
I believe that it was intended for use as a "coin slot screwdriver". For any of you who have worked around electrical/control panels as I have, you will recognize this term.

Many electrical/control panels have a round hasp that has to be turned in order to open the panel door. A coin or a short stubby screwdriver works for this. It only takes a half-turn to release the hasp and to open the panel door. Of course this type of hasp is only used on panels with 120V maximum in the panel.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

That's really cool. I had recently read about them but not seen one. Seeing it makes what I read make more sense as to what it is.
Greg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”