Robotic Knife Sharpener

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Robotic Knife Sharpener

Post by deo-pa »

In development; available this fall. There are a couple of videos to watch.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/knif ... odn08KYQ#/

Dennis
montemojo

Re: Robotic Knife Sharpener

Post by montemojo »

Interesting to say the least. It could be a money maker if set up at a gun show, flea mkt, hardware, or in a gun store. I would have to see it work for myself as I am skeptical about most new products.

Monte
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for posting this Dennis. There was something about this in the latest issue of Knife Magazine. I'm like Monte - I'd want to see it first hand before I'd invest in one, and from what I saw they're expensive. At least for now you'd need to set up at a gun or knife show to get customers to offset the cost. Might get cheaper later.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I think I'll stick to the old fashioned way.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I think Slinger is right in that most of us wouldn't have a need. However, you can get one for the intro price of $300 vs, the future retail of $700. If you are willing to bet on the come that it works well you could be the first at your local flea market or gun/knife show, and I would think it would not take long to recover your investment. Just the novelty ought to attract a crowd.

I've been to shows where knife sharpeners ply their trade. If anyone here does that maybe they could give us an idea of how many knives they typically sharpen at a two-day show and what they charge. That would make the payback time an easy calculation.

Dennis
KnifeSlinger#81

If you sharpened knives at shows it would be a drag to do so by hand. I don't like powered sharpeners because you can't minimize the burr like you can manually.
-Paul T.

deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

"... you can't minimize the burr like you can manually."

It claims to have a camera to detect the burr and separate belts to remove it (second video).

Dennis
KnifeSlinger#81

deo-pa wrote:"... you can't minimize the burr like you can manually."

It claims to have a camera to detect the burr and separate belts to remove it (second video).

Dennis
That is very interesting. When I said that I was referring to "standard" powered sharpeners, not the robotic one.
-Paul T.

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

To me, the robotic one is even scarier.
The thought of stuffing my knife in the thing and letting the sanding/grinding belts take over could give me nightmares.
But ...... if you've got some big ol' honkin' wedge of steel I guess it won't matter. And of course you'e got those pictures.
Joe
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I've always been slow to embrace the latest technology. I will certainly be slow to embrace this device. It may be great, but like Joe, I'd be afraid to put one of my favorite knives in that thing and just stand by waiting to see what I had left when it got done.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I hear you, but I've seen some amazing applications of robotics in manufacturing applications. They're even using robots now to do surgical procedures - my sister had heart surgery that was done by a robot called DaVinci. ::woot:: Heck I'm still fascinated by the Roomba floor vacuuming robot we have had for several years. The thing is amazing!

That said, I couldn't justify even $300 for a knife sharpener for personal use. Besides, I actually enjoy sharpening by hand. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Interesting. It looks like it uses a clamping mechanism similar to Lansky and many others. Does it clamp the knife automatically? I wonder if it adjusts if the blade isn't perfectly centered... and how well it works with small knives, multi-blade, etc.
robotic-sharpener.jpg
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Seems like it is too over the top for me. Might be useful to someone who is handicapped tho.

This one would be more to my liking as far as powered sharpeners go. Been pondering getting one too.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Work ... Aoeg8P8HAQ
Attachments
WSKTS-KO-z.jpg
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

gwelker62 wrote:Seems like it is too over the top for me. Might be useful to someone who is handicapped tho.

This one would be more to my liking as far as powered sharpeners go. Been pondering getting one too.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Work ... Aoeg8P8HAQ
I bought one of those for a family member to sharpen her kitchen knives. She likes it a lot. I sharpen on a stone but if I were considering the Work Sharp, I think I'd give some serious thought to just buying a belt grinder.

If the robot actually works well on multi-blades and small knives then it or something like it would be useful in manufacturing. I suspect that the clamp might not work as well on those knives though. The demos only show large single blades that are easily clamped. I suspect that the clamp might be somewhat limiting.

Victorinox sharpening is actually already automated
Victorinox-Sharpening-1_zpsdvnj9jod.jpg
Victorinox-Sharpening-2_zpsbsblcxce.jpg
[Victorinox]

But GEC and Case still sharpen manually
GEC-Sharpening_zpsnc1kek6a.jpg
[GEC]
Case-Sharpening_zpsi1sr8bx0.jpg
[Case]
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I can see the principle application in commercial manufacturing BUT only if they can get the time down. I think 5 minutes per blade is too long. Even at a knife or gun show I can see a long line developing. I think people will get tired of waiting. Interesting technology but if it is going outside the home I think the time will be a hindrance.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Just FYI, heart surgery is not performed by a robot, it is performed by a surgeon utilizing robotic assistance. The instruments are inserted into the patient and attached to the arms of the DaVinci robot. The surgeon then sits at a console and via magnified 3-D visualization, manipulates the arms and instruments to perform the surgery, most often a mitral valve repair or replacement.

It works well, but in my humble opinion, the DaVinci is a very expensive piece of technology in search of an application.

It is touted as "Limited Access" surgery, but it's just as invasive as standard trans-sternal heart surgery.

And it was one of the reasons I retired. This dog was just too old for new tricks.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Alexander12

Post by Alexander12 »

WOW, from electric to robot knife sharpener. nice finding
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I think I saw this device set up at The Blade Show.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”