KA-BAR repair almost done.........

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knife7knut

KA-BAR repair almost done.........

Post by knife7knut »

Bought a KA-BAR folding hunter over the weekend that had an inch long piece of bone missing from the area of the center rivet. Was going to wait until I found the proper color bone to repair it but found a piece of Winterbottom bone in one of the drawers in my shop so I decided to use it. Hopefully I can stain it to the proper color as the fit is pretty good with a minimum amount of epoxy showing.Rough fitted it using my 1x30 belt sander and epoxied it in place using C7. After it dried I got back on the belt sander and very carefully pared it down until almost flush and then finished it with a small file and 320 wet or dry sandpaper. Got out my Dremel and a ball mill bit and blended in the jigging.Finished polishing with 400 paper and Mother's Mag Wheel Polish.Wrapped old coffee grounds around it overnight to try and stain it a bit but the surface was too smooth for it to sink in. Will probably leave it as is;going to be a EDC for awhile.
Attachments
KA-BARFoldingHunter-15.00 003.jpg
KA-BARRepair 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
XX Case XX

Re: KA-BAR repair almost done.........

Post by XX Case XX »

Looks good to me. If it were the same color as the original handle, I doubt I could tell unless I was actively searching for a patch. Great job K7. :mrgreen:

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “General Knife Discussion”