artificial inflation

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Lansky1

artificial inflation

Post by Lansky1 »

I wish eBay had a policy that they charge people accordingly for the initial price they list items at ... it would prevent non-sensical listings like this. The BIN price is 8-10X the going market value on eBay (this knife is nothing special, not vintage and usually goes for $45-60 - I have one, it's a great appaloosa sided serpentine stockman):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-SR-6304 ... Swv0tVLGkP

I see so much of this dramatic over pricing on eBay ... seems like a lot of trouble to list knives at such dramatic overinflated prices for almost zero chance of anyone biting ... they must just have time on their hands and be hoping for a sucker. Maybe they get lucky once or twice a year which makes it worth their time to do this. I'd feel guilty scamming somebody when I know my over-inflated price is intended to simply take advantage of the less knowledgable. Maybe what they say is correct that there's a sucker born every minute, but I find the whole practice very irritating and unethical. If you look at his feedback - he's a knife guy ... I find it hard to believe he doesn't know the worth of the knife - he's just trying to take advantage of someone.

Thoughts ?
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: artificial inflation

Post by gsmith7158 »

Yeah that description is a lot of hulaBaloo over a regular old knife "blades contain thumb studs and or nail nicks".
Imagine that ::facepalm::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Couldn't agree more.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The main problem is that ebay couldn't care less. If nobody enforces the proper ethics, then this kind of thing will continue to go unchecked.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I guess it's a philosophy of, "Never hurts to ask. Worst they can say is, 'no'."
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Steve Warden wrote:I guess it's a philosophy of, "Never hurts to ask. Worst they can say is, 'no'."
Hey if it sells for that ebay's commission is much higher. So long as it's not a switch blade or ivory handle. Can't have that.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Lanksy, I couldn't agree with you more but weasels (no offense to the actual animal) and people of questionable character are everywhere. It's those same greed driven corporations that has promoted and lowered the values of a society through media and materialism. The target is to lead them into believing that what we have is who we are. ::shrug:: Best thing to do is exactly what you did here - expose them for what they are. Thanks for that. ::handshake::

Here's another: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Camillus-19 ... Sw4DJYh4Ai I bought a JPK much like that one in the link but mine is used and weathered and made by Ontario instead of Camillus (same knife based on Government specs) dated 1-1973 (technically still Vietnam era) a few weeks back for $30 shipped. I'm very happy with it. ::tu::
This one
JPK 1-1973.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

30bucks I'd be happy too ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sucker-hunting. ::disgust:: Disgusting habit.

The real joke is I'd probably be a buyer on the smooth rose stockman at a more than fair price if the condition is right, as I collect that style of Case, but I am not as stupid as he hopes his buyers are, and I have no way of offering or communicating a reasonable price offer for the knife because of the style of auction he chose. ::zzz::

And because of that, I'm not gonna message him and try to talk some sense into him. He probably scores often enough on the sucker-hunt to do this regularly. Due to that, I have no compunction about waiting for another example -- even if the condition isn't as nice -- just so this behavior isn't rewarded.

So now he's lost a customer, not gained one. ::td::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
bdev

Post by bdev »

Here's another one of his "deals".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-6254-9- ... SwT6pVg0VD

I have to laugh at guys like this. Maybe he'll sell this knife in the year 2050 at that price. :mrgreen:

I usually block sellers like this guy in my searches so I don't have to see ridiculous listings like this one. ::td::
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

bdev wrote:Here's another one of his "deals".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-6254-9- ... SwT6pVg0VD

I have to laugh at guys like this. Maybe he'll sell this knife in the year 2050 at that price. :mrgreen:

I usually block sellers like this guy in my searches so I don't have to see ridiculous listings like this one. ::td::
Icing on the cake is $13 shipping. I ship knives all the time - never costs more than $2.77 to send a folding knife USPS First Class. If you want to go full out priority mail, it won't be over $7 in the USA. He gouges on listings, he gouges on shipping ... agree, I'll block him
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “General Knife Discussion”