A Personal Thought

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Drukai

Re: A Personal Thought

Post by Drukai »

I try to get on everyday and post something just getting started
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Garddogg56 that is a most impressive photo of your knife room! 8) ::tu::
David
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Well, if all you want is more posts, I'll throw 'ya a bone .......

::tounge::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

I know more of y'all could go to General Off Topic Discussion, and join in the AAPK Trivia Challenge.
See the sticky thread.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I'm fairly new to knife collecting and AAPK. I find it a great reference and there are so many knowlegeable people here, it lessens the learning curve. I've always been a discussion board kind of guy for my interests ... be it golf, woodworking, bass fishing, electric guitars and now knives ... it's a great way to learn and interact with like minded guys.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thank for the kind words ::handshake:: as I see all the pride in the great craftsmanship you all put into our hobby I also have pride in my hobby but I love using these edged tools to make money... just in my lifetime seeing great changes in the knife industry.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Just wanted to let you guys know that some members like me are soaking up the info available on AAPK. This is my first post , but I've been reading posts for a couple years. Please don't be discouraged for lack of participating members. We enjoy the knowledge and I love the banter back and forth between some of the more experienced members.
I did enjoy talking knives at the Wind Gap knife show last Saturday. Bought a beautiful Fighting Bull jumbo trapper built by Wendell Carson with shot blasted yellow bone scales from a gentleman whose name has left my memory. We got on the Schrade subject, and Orvet Dale's name came up with very nice compliments about his work and character. Hope to meet some new friends at the Easton show this fall. Thanks to all you regular posters and administrators for keeping AAPK going. Your Bladebuddy, Steve Budd.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Since you've been hanging around AAPK for a couple of years, you already know we would love to see a picture of your latest acquisition.
AAPK Welcome Ready.jpg
AAPK Welcome Ready.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Jerry I'll post pictures as soon I learn how. I think I saw a tutorial for that.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Good point. I'm afraid that I'm a guilty one, as you can see from matching the date I joined to my number of posts.
My knife obsession comes in cycles, sometimes relative to the health of my wallet.
So here's my post, as a token of my support, and my sincere pledge to turn over a new leaf. After all, AAPK has long been dear (as well as dare) to me. :D
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Yes indeed, posting encourages further posting, without a doubt. I know I am guilty of sometimes feeling a little miffed if I take the time to make a reasonably thought out post, or put up some pictures, and get absolutely no response. Kind of feel like no one is "listening" if there is not even one reply. I know sometimes though if I post something and it turns out to be the last post on a page, it oftentimes goes unnoticed since the following post will start a new page and my post will get lost, unless someone quotes it.
....I must admit that sometimes if I feel I have something worthwhile to add, or ask, I will wait for the page to turn before posting, that way it will be closer to the top, get more views and potentially more responses. Of course if I just chiming in with a "cool knife" comment then it doesn't really matter. ...and with my current work situation I don't have as much time as I would like to post, but I do visit every day, I love me some AAPK ::tu::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Edgewise wrote: My knife obsession comes in cycles, sometimes relative to the health of my wallet.
:D
There appears to be a rather large contingent on this forum who do not have this issue.
It seems to me those are some of the most active persons, imho .... 8)

There are one or two individuals here who seem to hunt the most controversial posts of other members and proceed to pick a verbal fight. And they refuse to back down. They absolutely must have the last word on the given subject. I've been baited, too ....

NOPE .... ::td::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
just bob

Post by just bob »

I appreciate the information available on this site and try to contribute when I can. I'll admit I'm too lazy to grab the camera sometimes and post pictures. I should to that more often. One comment I'll make about new members posting is the practice of some members attacking and belittling others for their opinions. We are talking pocket knives here and not world peace. Each person has a right to express their own views. If they are in error on facts one of the experts will usually set them straight. If it is an opinion - so be it. I wonder if some new members aren't afraid to post out of fear of humiliation? The moderators should control those inclined to disparage others. As far as helping others or posting insightful new information - I'm sadly lacking in knowledge. To borrow a phrase from a person that frequently posts - Ima sitting in the corner wearing a dunce cap. Het!
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Been a member for a while. Don't post much, just do a lot of reading. Lots of knowledge to be found here. I've learned a lot from the Experts.
Guess that I should be more appreciative and thankful to the ones that do post. I'll try and do better at recognizing everyone efforts.

Great post, by the way. Keep on posting.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

just bob wrote:I appreciate the information available on this site and try to contribute when I can. I'll admit I'm too lazy to grab the camera sometimes and post pictures. I should to that more often. One comment I'll make about new members posting is the practice of some members attacking and belittling others for their opinions. We are talking pocket knives here and not world peace. Each person has a right to express their own views. If they are in error on facts one of the experts will usually set them straight. If it is an opinion - so be it. I wonder if some new members aren't afraid to post out of fear of humiliation? The moderators should control those inclined to disparage others. As far as helping others or posting insightful new information - I'm sadly lacking in knowledge. To borrow a phrase from a person that frequently posts - Ima sitting in the corner wearing a dunce cap. Het!
Quite often I will apply the old adage - Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
I learned a long time ago life is often easier if you keep your ears open and your mouth shut. :wink:

That said, as a result of this thread, I have been much more active in posting.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

just bob wrote:One comment I'll make about new members posting is the practice of some members attacking and belittling others for their opinions.
Dang Bob. Are you sure you don't have AAPK confused with BF? I think I'm pretty sensitive to that type of thing and I seldom see that. Hmmm.
Just my opinion. ::hmm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Gotta agree with Jerry. I'm at AAPK every day and only vaguely recall one or two instances. I think that kind of thing is most likely to occur when on the political forum or the controversial off topic forum. While courtesy is always in style, given that political opinions often run deep some may slip up or get a little testy.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

I'll have to agree with Jerry, too, Bob. I, uh ::paranoid:: , occasionally visit other forums if I'm trying to find more info on a "new to me" knife and the responses from "other forums", seem to be met with such sarcasm, a feller wouldn't want to be around such a bunch of arrogant jerks.
As Quick Steel said, the most controversy here seem to come from political topics and sometime moral issues but are usually tightened up pretty quick by the very able moderators.
Again, you cant beat AAPK! ::ds::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::tu:: This has been an interesting post, enjoyed reading everyone comments. Us older types are luckier than some in that we are retired and have more time to sit and read and post and take photos. If I am home, I get online and read everyday and look forward to reading the posts on AAPK and have met some "online friends" that I'm sure will last a life time. ::handshake:: Keep up the good work! Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

This forum has been very important to me.
I really enjoy my pocket knives. I love buying new knives and showing them off here and I always enjoy the back and forth about the knives. It's fun.
I also enjoy how much information I have gathered here about knives. It allows me to participate with fellow knifers.

Hey, did you see my new Empire dog leg? ::woot::
Joe
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Actually, I stuck with this forum because it has been very tolerant and patient, and I know I can say dumb stuff without being made to feel dumb ::doh:: , (and sometimes members send me gifts ::ds:: ), and many other reasons too of course. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Come on Paul, fess up. You're just here for the freebees, aren't you. :lol: :lol: ::poke:: ::watching_you::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

FRJ wrote: Hey, did you see my new Empire dog leg? ::woot::
I didn't even know you had a dog named Empire.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

jerryd6818 wrote:
just bob wrote:One comment I'll make about new members posting is the practice of some members attacking and belittling others for their opinions.
Dang Bob. Are you sure you don't have AAPK confused with BF? I think I'm pretty sensitive to that type of thing and I seldom see that. Hmmm.
Just my opinion. ::hmm::
This is true, I have a lot of time vested in BF, I joined BF in '01 and here in '04. I have over 26,000 posts in BF and just cracked 100 here. In my defense I forgot I was registered here till recently and basically used AAPK as a reference source that I often quoted in BF.

The thing is I think people tend to post where they feel comfortable. It's easier to feel comfortable when you're 1 of almost 300,000 people with over 1,000,000 threads and 16,000,000 posts. It's easy to be anonymous in that big of a crowd and post pics and comments. Odds are you won't raise any interest or garner any ill feelings unless you really try to show up on the radar.

Here on the other hand it's a more intimate group and I think people don't wanna seem uninformed. Here a thread might not get a response for days so as soon as you post everyone's lookin'. On BF you get so lost in the sometimes 1,000s of posts a day and it takes a while till you're actually noticed by any of the cliques.

I just wanna add 1 thing, BF is without a doubt the largest most informative knife site on the net, (not to take away from AAKP, 2 totally different dynamics) but it's easy to be a small fish in such a big pond. Here it's easier to notice a new post or thread and I get why people don't wanna sound like they don't know what their talkin' about here but I'havent seen any major disrespecting of members and their opinions here.

On a positive note, I'm back to postin' and bein' active here, those of you who know me from other sites know I can be a pretty prolific poster and am always willing answer a question without bein' judgemental or snobbish. I'm also trying to actively steer some of the more informative members over this way to participate in the threads. There's something about knowin' the bulk of the folks here and feeling that friendly atmosphere.

Just check out the Traditional's forum over at BF and see how friendly and accommodating a large group of people can be.

1 Last thing I feel is intimidating is picture taking. I wanna put together short tutorial on how to take pics with what ever device you have, (smartphone, P&S camera, DSLR Prosumer cameras) what ever you have available. There are ways to fool your camera and functions some aren't aware are on their particular device, there are lots of tips and tricks, just look it up on Google or whatever browser you're using. Feel free to message me if there's anything I can answer, what I don't know and there's a lot I don't know, we can figure out together. I know enough people in the industry and community I can at least send you off in the right direction to get your answer.

I'm a man of few words as you can tell ;) so don't be surprised if your question elicits a 2 page response with links and pictures. :)

AAPK is a great site and has a lot of talent here, just don't be afraid to chime in when you read something that interest you or you may know a little more than someone else does. In the end we're all here to share and learn from each other.
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

jerryd6818 wrote:
FRJ wrote: Hey, did you see my new Empire dog leg? ::woot::
I didn't even know you had a dog named Empire.

::rotflol:: ::tounge::
Joe

Return to “General Knife Discussion”