A Personal Thought

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TheMadHungarian

Re: A Personal Thought

Post by TheMadHungarian »

I see I posted twice on the same page :oops:
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I've only been registered a short time and I see I am already pushing 100 posts. :shock:

I'm the one Ted messaged about being from BF. One advantage/disadvantage of using the same unique username on multiple forums is that "anonymity" is lacking.. :mrgreen:

I was one of the "guest lurkers" for a few years, mainly coming over to gawk when someone on BF mentioned a specific knife, or if I was looking for information on a specific folding knife, which wasn't often as my primary focus is on fixed blades of all sorts. Out of 3500+ cutting instruments, I have less than 200 folding knives - 52 Kabar, 40 Western, and less than 120 "other" folders (Buck, Camillus, Imperial, Utica, Schrade, etc) including 13 10" WW2 folding machetes.

A google search on a fixed blade lead me to a fixed blade thread here. Until then, I had just assumed that y'all covered nothing but folding knives, even though I routinely carry 1 or 2 small fixed blades as "pocket" knives. :mrgreen:

I try not to boost my post count with "Nice knife" type of comments. I also try not to post TOO often on topics I know little about. I do have fairly decent google-foo, so on obscure topics I will go out searching for information on oddball questions and post that up.

As far as the relatively few obnoxious denizens over on BF, that's what the ignore feature is for. ::ds:: Those folks seldom post any information worth my reading time, so I'm not missing their blather.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I think both sites have their positives.

For myself personally, I find that BF has a lot more representation from custom makers and people are really up to snuff on the GEC products.

However, if I have real serious questions about older brands, I find that I get better answers at AAPK. That, and if there are any obscure knives, Ray probably has an example of it. ::tu::
KAW

Post by KAW »

I have to admit.... AAPK was not my first choice as my primary knife board.

I'm new to knife collecting. I have always liked knives right from my Boy Scout years and have carried one in my pocket throughout my adult years (usually a small Swiss Army type knife), but I had resisted starting a collection since I had so many others.... coins, rocks & fossils, old hand tools, bar ware, etc... but I am also a history buff and when I discovered knife manufacturing history of "my backyard", and as I started picking up representative samples of those brands, I then started seeking out more info about the knives which led me more often to BladeForum. So after accumulating more than a dozen knives, I had to accept I'm a knife collector and decided to join the BF board.... I found an old thread of particular interest to me and attempted to revive it.... what I experienced was a total lack of response for days.... and what little response I received in posting to other threads became frustrated by the issue that others were not able to view the photos I posted.... after a couple of weeks, I abandoned that board for the most part and came here. Immediately it became obvious the board was totally the opposite experience and now I'm part of the 100+ club within 2 months of joining.

It is my understanding that most of the forums over there are suffering from inactivity as well based on many similar post complaining about it there too. There too I find the common theme about "lurkers".... "just drop by but do not talk with only the thirst for knowledge and none to give." to quote one verbatim.... to whom I replied, "....with more & more people doing that.... there's the reason why the well is running dry." It seems most lurkers seem to be intimidated by the thought they need to be knowledgeable in order to participate when just the opposite is also what helps keep the board alive! It seems to me what brings folks to the board is seeking knowledge, but don't realize asking questions tends to spark more discussions than someone just offering up some trivia they know.... and we all have questions to ask.... the only complaint I have is that only about half the questions I have asked get answered in any sort of way.... but I digress....

Anyway.... I'm glad I discovered AAPK.... I have learned just as much if not more from this board than from the other one.... but what has become more important to me is.... I find it to be a great bunch of very likable folks here and I enjoy conversing with them.... ::ds::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

KAW wrote:I have to admit.... AAPK was not my first choice as my primary knife board.

I'm new to knife collecting. I have always liked knives right from my Boy Scout years and have carried one in my pocket throughout my adult years (usually a small Swiss Army type knife), but I had resisted starting a collection since I had so many others.... coins, rocks & fossils, old hand tools, bar ware, etc... but I am also a history buff and when I discovered knife manufacturing history of "my backyard", and as I started picking up representative samples of those brands, I then started seeking out more info about the knives which led me more often to BladeForum. So after accumulating more than a dozen knives, I had to accept I'm a knife collector and decided to join the BF board.... I found an old thread of particular interest to me and attempted to revive it.... what I experienced was a total lack of response for days.... and what little response I received in posting to other threads became frustrated by the issue that others were not able to view the photos I posted.... after a couple of weeks, I abandoned that board for the most part and came here. Immediately it became obvious the board was totally the opposite experience and now I'm part of the 100+ club within 2 months of joining.

It is my understanding that most of the forums over there are suffering from inactivity as well based on many similar post complaining about it there too. There too I find the common theme about "lurkers".... "just drop by but do not talk with only the thirst for knowledge and none to give." to quote one verbatim.... to whom I replied, "....with more & more people doing that.... there's the reason why the well is running dry." It seems most lurkers seem to be intimidated by the thought they need to be knowledgeable in order to participate when just the opposite is also what helps keep the board alive! It seems to me what brings folks to the board is seeking knowledge, but don't realize asking questions tends to spark more discussions than someone just offering up some trivia they know.... and we all have questions to ask.... the only complaint I have is that only about half the questions I have asked get answered in any sort of way.... but I digress....

Anyway.... I'm glad I discovered AAPK.... I have learned just as much if not more from this board than from the other one.... but what has become more important to me is.... I find it to be a great bunch of very likable folks here and I enjoy conversing with them.... ::ds::
Ken, I will repeat it as often as I feel needs be, "Posts are the life's blood of any forum. Without posts (no matter what kind) a forum will become stagnant and/or shrivel and die."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Ken, I am a member both here and at BF.

One of the reasons I was so late to the AAPK forum was that my perception of AAPK was that it was "folder world" and that's not really my cup of mead.
I like to look at a nice looking folder, and I use a few but I don't study, research, or accumulate them

I mainly haunted and then later joined BF and mainly posted there. Finally ended up joining here after seeing a couple of references in BF to threads over here about fixed blades.

The biggest difference between BF and AAPK is the number of members. More people mean more posts.

BUT,,,,,

The second biggest difference and the one that is most influential towards new members is the lack of browbeating here when someone necroposts. Some of the long timers on BF will just flat out blast newbies for posting in older threads. And the criteria for being accused of thread necromancy varies withing each sub-forums. Some claim its necromancy after a only few months of inactivity.

I still prowl both forums, but now I'm at least active and contributing a small share of info here.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I just found this thread...

Look up posts from Zombie411 on... another site.
That's me. (till I banned myself) I had enough! I posted about A gentleman from China. He is a MAJOR importer of collectible knives (to China), and some there did not like this. China is a dirty word there to begin with.
I said he is importing to arm an army of patriots to defend against Godzilla, (just in case) and declared that as my last post. Guess what? Banned. ::shrug:: Jump from a plane w/ a pillow case, and what will happen / :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1/2 the time there was spent fighting w/ mods, and the rest of the time there was spent fighting w/ the same members over, and over again. It gets old fast. Learning is secondary there. Clever wips are more important.

Common courtesy is a part of life we all learned in pre-school. If not there, then your friends were supposed to teach you.
This new "net" world has provided a shield where people become whom they are. Much like the drunk at the bar.

You can not discuss anything with a drunk, and have a meaningful conversation. I felt the same effect there on the "net" in many instances. (not here)

I post my name, and where I live everywhere I post. Triumph forum... Zombie/Ken McLaughlin.
Harley forum(s) Zombie/Ken Mc. Kymco forum, Zombie/Ken McLaughlin, Carrabelle Florida. Science Madness, Zombie/Ken McLaughlin Carrabelle, Fl.. The Hull Truth... same
I am who I say I am, and I live where I say I live. americanedgetech is a NEW business to me, and I want that name on the net.
I want MY (Ken McLaughlin) name associated with every post I have ever made on the net. History is paramount if you are posting at all!

GummyBearlovesKnifes??? ALWAYS has something rude to say. He has a "drunk" excuse. He is invisible (so he thinks)! ::smirk::

"I" do not hide nor am I intentionally rude to anyone UNLESS they are face to face, and they do not understand common courtesy.

That's why I like this forum. Real people, sharing information, and going OUT OF THEIR WAY to help.

KUDOS All About Pocket Knives! KUDOS!!! ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::clapping::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
jzwhts

Post by jzwhts »

I have been on here for several years and only posted once recently. I read on here all the time. Research is awesome here and knowledge is awesome here. I am also a gun owners forum member and don't post a lot on there, but I do learn a lot. I am quiet in general but I certainly appreciate those who post a lot. Thank you all for that!!! Otherwise, what the heck would I read. I will try to get involved more. I do a lot of knife trading with folks at work and sell some on eBay. My goal in this hobby is to sell enough to pay for most that I keep. I have a wife, four kids and a dog. Two of which are in college (not the dog) and one income. Trading and selling is how I stay afloat with this hobby and I seldom deal with real expensive stuff. Isn't that one of the great things about pocket knives, it doesn't take a lot of money to get started and the collection can grow just a little bit at a time. Anyway, you all carry on and I will ride along and help paddle a little along the way.

Thanks again,
Paul
americanedgetech

I love your post JZ!

I have seven dogs (all graduated), and 3 ex wifes... (insert Dangerfield joke here).

I can not learn unless I ask questions. Most are inane but some lead to conversations that no-one expects. I have to hear answers as a train of thought so I post everywhere to learn everything I can. ::tu::

Life is too short for me to wait! Just me...

Love your post sir. ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Glad to see your post Paul. And a belated welcome here. Hope you'll post more and share some pictures of your knives, even if they're knives you're flipping. We will enjoy seeing them and discussing them.

I've seen some folks comment that they don't make posts just to inflate their post count. As stated in the OP of this thread and reiterated by others, posts are the lifeblood of any forum. Even a simple "nice knife, thanks for showing it", or "I can't answer your question but I like your knife" are valuable posts. That tells the original poster that someone is looking and appreciates that they took time to make a post.

Unlike some other sites, AAPK doesn't award gold stars or similar "rewards" for number of posts. We just have conversations, like friends, old or new, sitting around having coffee or a beer - so join in! ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

Great discussion! I've carried a pocket knife since I was about 9 and starting collecting when I was a teen. It wasn't until about I think 2011 that I came across AAPK and I've been hooked ever since. I read about BF and check it out once but quickly decided it wasn't my kind of neighborhood. That said, I was gone for awhile but came back to the same great people. As with everything there is always the 80-20 rule and in this case 20% of the people here do 80 percent of the posting, it doesn't make it right and that can change but with any organization that is usually how it is. We have a great group of people here and if you like it here become one of us and join in, don't just lurk, we won't bite and you might learn something or make a few friends like I have! ::tu::
Bladeguy
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I have obviously done a LOT of lurking here but I recently became more active. I've probably posted more in the last two months than I have in the last three years.

I'm not really sure what happened exactly but I think it had something to do with the fairly recent option of purchasing a supporting membership. For some odd reason, just having that option gave me more incentive to join in whether I became a paying supporter or not. Strange, but I think that's what happened in my case.

I visit other knife forums on a regular basis as well and I like those forums too. That being said, I'm very happy to be more active here. I've mentioned it before elsewhere but I feel that knife forums are every bit as much a part of the hobby as the knives themselves. Perhaps even more so. In fact, I log onto knife forums a lot more often than I actually use my knives. For me, it's just as much fun.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Railsplitter, I'm presumin' you're the same Railsplitter as over at BF. :) ? You know yourself the amount of knowledge over at the other site, the makers and shakers that post there, there is an enormous eatin amount of knowledge over there between the custom makers, the manufacturers forums supported and moderated by their own people. I't's what it is, the largest knife forum on the internet,

As such it has it's own dynamic as well as this place does, there are members who like myself are members on multiple knife sites including this one. Most are the same people no matter which site they're on, (like myself) I tend to be the same person no matter where I'm at. One thing though is that I carry myself differently in the different part of the forum. Again like here there's a different dynamic in different portions of the site, different behavior is acceptable and represented in different areas.

There are like many places, more adult portions of the sites. Places where a more boisterous attitude is acceptable and people can be a little or a lot more blue. The thing is to know where those places are and the dynamics specific to each forum and sub, the other thing to keep in mind about a place so big is that the same questions get asked a million times and it can get tiring, especially when people are either too lazy to search on their own or read the forum specific rules to know what can and can't be asked and discussed.

There are quite a few members here that also hang their hats at BF, some of us old enough and members long enough to remember the start of most of the internet knife discussion boards, don't condemn one place because you didn't get along with some Ken. There are many who don't get along with everyone but realize and accept the site for the vast amount of knowledge and knowledgeable members there, just like the knowledgeable members here and the info available. I will admit that as a whole this is a more laid back site overall but again the same "stupid" and I use the term lightly, gets asked a hundred times and you see it asked again even though it's asked on page 1, 3 times already, it can be frustrating. Also frustrating is when there are so many alleged experts on a site, sometimes the good questions get missed between the attitudes and posturing goin' on.

I use this place for a reference source mostly and because it's easier to search here. There's a wealth of info here as well, a smart person benefits from both without badmouthing an entire site over an issue with a few. Don't trash a whole forum because you didn't get along with a few people Ken, make the best outta both sites like I do. I know you know who I am over there Ken and I saw your time over there as well. There were and are great/good people on both sites, just gotta learn to get along with those you can and ignore the ones you can't.

As a testament to the great people who dwell there as well, not takin' away from the great and generous folks here, I got this anonymously in the mail last week. (I have an inkling who sent it, the same person who gave me 2 ZT s and another large Sebenza 21 for my birthday this year).
100_5726 - Edited.jpg
Both the Large 21 with the Ebony inlay and the 25 were gifts from the same person.
100_3040.jpg
I've made some great friends across the world as a result my interest in knives, I've met some custom makers and bladesmiths as a result of the forums and have even had some customs made, fixed blade and folders and I find you get back what you put into a site so I usually try to be helpful, informative and entertainin' :). Always be payin' it forward, who knows? Someone might gift you a Sebenza someday
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Great post, Ted. Yep, I'm the same Railsplitter. ::tu::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
americanedgetech

I certainly get your point Hungarian.
There is something missing tho... Lets say Jane asks about blade steel for the 12 billionth time. You, and I are both sick to death of the question so you, and I post up a snotty remark about search this or open your eyes, and close your mouth...

Jane's question was not answered, and every reader that follows has to see the frustration in both the posting members replies, and Jane 's inability to get a REAL answer.

This "pattern" is repeated in most of the forums because of the 80/20 rule posted above. In fact within a week I had 30 or so members on Ignore. It was a battle to get a real answer without an attached remark.

Now, since tactical is not my thing, and vintage knives are, this forum is better suited to answer my questions, and not once has anyone been out of line or rude. (well once but I egged it on...)
I also need information on the business end of collecting, and I am picking up glints of info here, and there across the net. More here actually... I see fellas talking about shows or swap meets, and they are themselves the entire time. Lead by example!!!
No posing as super heroes or no taking orders that they do not have inventory for.

I guess I was raised in the city, and now I prefer the quieter country life. That is the best way I can put it.
Thanks Hungarian for putting some perspective back in the topic. It is something to think more about... ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

bulldog

Post by bulldog »

Sorry i don"t post much but i really enjoy AAPK! I am disabled and i have a hard time even trying to push these keys on the computer! I have been a member sence 2006. I surely love knives and really like these posts and discussions! You all are great and HERES TO AAPK!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

bulldog, I really appreciate your making the effort to share your feelings about AAPK with us. That is encouraging to me and I am sure to many of the members. ::tu::
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

americanedgetech wrote:I certainly get your point Hungarian.

This "pattern" is repeated in most of the forums because of the 80/20 rule posted above. In fact within a week I had 30 or so members on Ignore. It was a battle to get a real answer without an attached remark.
Ha, I got you beat by one for a total of 31 on ignore. I am a registered member of literally dozens of forums running under a whole "wack" of topics and I really can't think of any that I have anyone on ignore. I find life too short and stressful to put up with some "keyboard warrior's" inflated opinion.

AAPK has a more laid back approach that I find more inviting. I know very little about pocket knives other than they are usually sharp and can cut me if I'm not careful, so I will probably read more than comment, however, it's nice to know that when I do comment, I won't (usually) be called out for it.
americanedgetech

I agree Colin.
Life IS too short to waste time, and effort with total strangers over what amounts to less than nothing.

AAPK is a top shelf site with a GREAT bunch of folks sharing what they know. Time spent here is good time IMHO!!! ::tu::
Ken Mc.

keithw

Post by keithw »

I don't post much on AAPK, but have been a member since 2007.
I will post when I have something to say, but usually I just browse the topics on most of the forums (at least once a day).
I've received great info on matters that I had no idea about; and made quite a few friends here as well.
Truth be told, I would probably give up knife collecting altogether if I lost touch with this community.
So, thank you all (for costing me so much money ::facepalm:: ), just kidding.
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
americanedgetech

I have heard the word "enablers" whispered once or thrice... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ken Mc.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

I was reading the unread posts this morning and this post was up.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22954
This was my first post on AAPK. Memories came flooding back to me. I ended up calling Hawk and he lives 1 hr from me, went to his house and we did a big knife trade and I got my first Remington display case but at that time didn't own one Remington knife. The friends and knives I've found since then has been amazing. I'm going threw a rough spell in my life right now and the only people I confide in are friends I've met her. Sure am glad Don "HAWK" posted that he was looking for PAX knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

espn77 wrote:I was reading the unread posts this morning and this post was up.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22954
This was my first post on AAPK. Memories came flooding back to me. I ended up calling Hawk and he lives 1 hr from me, went to his house and we did a big knife trade and I got my first Remington display case but at that time didn't own one Remington knife. The friends and knives I've found since then has been amazing. I'm going threw a rough spell in my life right now and the only people I confide in are friends I've met her. Sure am glad Don "HAWK" posted that he was looking for PAX knives.
What I find amazing is a guy that rarely posts, responded to your post in a thread that was almost three years old and did it in less than 24 hours. 'hawk' must be a loyal lurker, not a poster.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”