Mercy!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Tsar Bomba

Re: Mercy!!

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:Is there no history of this pattern in vintage Sheffield knives ? i.e. older than Case.
If I'm right about the "beginning of Case", this pattern is indeed older. As FRJ showed, there are plenty of old European toes out there, lots of them suffering from the batonning damage I mentioned before. His is an absolute gem, though, and I always appreciate when he shares it. ::tu::

I imagine another possible explanation is that European cutlers began producing a pattern that may have originated in America, or had been shared across the pond by migrating cutlers, and the use many of those knives found were distinctly more marine than the American counterparts.

As an aside, regarding Pennsylvania oil fields, I always thought it was appropriate that GEC released a run of knives in the oil sucker rod wood handles. They have a fascinating history (but are waaay smaller than the behemoths featured in this thread :mrgreen: ).
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

bkazz5 wrote:I have a couple Whalers. Big ole knives. I also have this Bob Cargill Cripple Creek that is from 1980/81. Lots of similarities to the GEC Whaler. Maybe just a little bigger.
...BK, is the photo distorted or is that last one that much bigger than the other two???.......... ::shrug:: ...........
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Anyone have any photos of the toes or whalers that have been damaged by beating on the spine?
Mel
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That's an excellent question Mel!!! If indeed they were hammered on the spine one would expect to see some evidence of that use....

Post by Edgewise »

kootenay joe wrote:Rope on sailing vessels can be 2" or more in diameter. The deep blade helps keep the spine exposed for hitting with the baton. Plus the blade is rather stout to keep it from deflecting off course; i.e. won't flex.
kj
Understood. It's just the name "whaler" that has my imagination going. :shock:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Whoa, you can have a whale of a good time with this Whaler knife. You know, you can really whale away on it and when you do you become a 'whaler' just like your knife. Waylon the Whaler !
kj
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

I have a couple sunfish and elephant toes, but no whalers. :?
Has anyone ever used one of those whalers, or even cut a 2" rope, whaler or not? ::uc::
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

kootenay joe wrote:Whoa, you can have a whale of a good time with this Whaler knife. You know, you can really whale away on it and when you do you become a 'whaler' just like your knife. Waylon the Whaler !
kj
Have mercy, kj !
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Carmillus, the pic is correct. The Cargill is bigger. I will get some pics of them together.
Attachments
Toenail Honey.jpg
2013-07-10_21-15-07_648.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"The Cargill is bigger."
How so ? Cargill looks to measure exactly 4". My GEC Whaler is 4 3/8".
But the real test of 'bigger' is mass. Other than seeing how much water each would displace, comparing their weight would show which is 'bigger'. (not exactly accurate as handle slabs are different material)
kj
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

So I guess it depends how you want to define bigger. The GEC whaler's overall length is longer. The Cargill is wider side to side, wider back spring to top of blade and heavier. Either way I wouldn't throw either one of them out of my collection.
Attachments
20170426_213413.jpg
20170426_213458.jpg
20170426_213352.jpg
20170426_213312.jpg
20170426_213255.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The weigh scales show the Cargill is 'bigger'. These last pics show how thick (side to side) the Cargill is. Very thick & very heavy ! If it is in pant pocket you better have suspenders to avoid sudden exposure !
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Again I have to say those knives termed Whaler by some more modern companies as noted and elephant toe nails (or sunfish) by others in the past are one heck of a handful of knife - beautiful examples all ::tu:: ... to EDC that knife I would need 3 pairs of suspenders and 2 belts :lol: :lol:

In thinking about the pattern being called a "Whaler" this is a perfect example of terminology getting confused overtime as different companies change the names to suit their own needs (perhaps marketing etc)... But in truth and as an example the pic below which is for posterity was taken from a current eBay auction - NOTE: this is referred to as a classic New England Whaler and noted as such on the blade etch as made by LF&C (if you double click you will see the etch as I note)..... this is what I call a "Whaler" and what was confusing me earlier in this post - this pattern was called a Whaler (a New England Whaler) by many old companies and I have seen other examples of older Whalers such as this made by other companies in this same style... note a completely different style and pattern of knife including blade (sheepsfoot) and handle etc but similar among older cutleries... Just throwing this out there for those interested...
LF&C New England Whaler.jpg
I haven't checked Levines guide for his take on the pattern just as an aside...
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Dear Lee - I WANT THAT KNIFE - that is all. Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”