HET and Rooskie

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
SolWarrior

Re: HET and Rooskie

Post by SolWarrior »

HET, as a bottom feeder I come across lots of rooskies! ::tounge::
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Good grief .. .. ..

This subject and questions arise at least once a year.
You would think people would catch on to the joke(s).

::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

royal0014 wrote:Good grief .. .. ..

::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
Because Royal, once a year we have new members who are confused by this tom foolery and it is our job, nay duty, to de-confuse them. ::super_happy::
Attachments
Ban Het.jpg
Ban Het.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Joke? Jokes are funny.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

With all due respect Royal...

What joke? Bragging about screwing someone is a joke? It is a disgrace in my opinion. Maybe you are not privy to solid evidence of such on a failed "rooskie" attempt that was called out on a thread. RARE AUTHENTIC knife, old Kinfolk Hunter as I recall, new member contacted via PM that they had a "Frakenknife" but I will take it off your hands for a fraction of value as a favor. That is a screw job, plain and simple. That is bad enough to do but to brag about is a whole higher level of (censored for AAPK) in my book.
And it has not been just a one off either. I'd be happy to post a link to the thread if you like.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

::cb:: ::cb::
..... nope .. .. .. not takin' the bait . . . . .
Chris
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

royal0014 wrote: ::cb:: ::cb::
..... nope .. .. .. not takin' the bait . . . . .
Interesting response. I ain't fishing. Calling it what it is is not bait in my opinion.

This is just the tip of the iceberg...

I will continue posting examples if you like. To turn one's cheek when something is clearly not right is the easy road, AKA "sticking your head in the sand". As we all know, that is usually not the best route. Some people just don't want to hassle calling it what it is. Easier that way. I am not one of those people.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=44311&hilit=Kinfolks

The link within the thread.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

There are many people here on AAPK that I have come to know through their postings, PM's and phone conversations. Some members that I have had the pleasure to meet personally. Many members that I consider friends whether I have met them or not. Almost everyone that I am familiar with here brings something positive to the site and helps to make AAPK the asset to knife collecting that it is.

I have been actively collecting cutlery for over 30 years now and yet have leaned countless new things and viable cutlery terms since joining this site. IMO the terms HET, Rooskie and the like would be better left to closed doors. I'm am sure that I am not the only one that has been confused and put off by seeing such things in print.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Well said Wayne.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

IMHO, Jerry and Wayne have said it summarized it the best, Rooskie=Deception=Lies, plain and simple.

<<ON MY SOAPBOX>> The bible tells us that the devil is clever, crafty, deceptive and dangerous (1 Pet. 5:8) and that he knows our weakness and exploits them to great advantage against us. The devil uses extreme subtlety, trickery and decep­tiveness. In my world, I have no acceptance of this kind of behavior and I encourage others to stand in solidarity against it as well. This is supposed to be a safe haven for both new and seasoned members where buying, selling and trading of pocket knives should be without the notion of being "taken" by a devilish individual. <<OFF MY SOAPBOX>>
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I guess as a relative newcomer to AAPK I'm a bit naive regarding the terms HET and Rooskie. I've seen them used, mostly by a few of the longer tenured members, and always thought of them as bringing a little "color" to the discussions. Not in the sense of "off-color" though. Just an AAPK-ism, kind of humorous at that, and doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Didn't take long to figure out HET as being a fat-fingered version of HEY, which I assume originated as innocent fun-poking between members. Harmless enough, and easy to learn about by using the search feature to find a thread explaining its meaning.

As for rooskie I always thought of that as meaning a complicated trade or deal with some back-and-forth offers. Sort of "I'll trade you my stockman and an excellent aggie shooter marble for your English jack and $2 cash boot". :lol: Nothing underhanded about that so long as both parties deal honestly.

Like I said, guess I've been naive. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Like I said, guess I've been naive. ::shrug::

Ken
Not necessarily.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Het I have always accepted as described, but rooskie? I have always considered it a play on the work rescue as when buying an old vintage knife that may need a little TLC hence it was rooskied (rescued). Thats just how I think but then again I have Asperger's and dang near always think differently ::nod:: Just my cent and half :lol:
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

::doh::

I had this rather long response typed up, then deleted it for a more simple reply . . . .

I do not have my head anywhere other than on my shoulders.

Certain persons here on AAPK (and there are more than one) seem to troll these
pages actively searching for a verbal argument. These persons go into long-winded posts to
support their argument/point of view. And they absolutely must have the last word in said discussion.

I simply will not participate in these discussions.

::handshake::
Chris
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I've watched this post and gone back and forth on wether to comment or not. I'll try not to be to long winded for anyone. My longest post post thus far has been all of about 2 sentences. As a new collector I know the feeling of trying to be taken advantage of and it doesn't feel good. I've bought some knives from guys on this forum and feel like they have turned into friends. My knowledge is minimal compared to many here but this isn't a knife subject, it's a moral issue. People come to this forum who don't know anything about knives and don't care to. Just trying to receive fair market value for what there dad or husband put together. For a person to take advantage of these people or to condone these actions is unbelievable to me. We have a responsibility and a God fearing country to act in a certain way and to not allow others to break that code. Maybe the code is dead and buried but I hope not. I want to haggle and negotiate with the best of them but not at the expense of the entire knife community. We have compromised in so many ways as a country I thought a knife loving group of people would be different.

Just my thoughts from a new collector.

Keith
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Well said Keith. ::tu::
Roger
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

royal0014 wrote: ::doh::

I had this rather long response typed up, then deleted it for a more simple reply . . . .

I do not have my head anywhere other than on my shoulders.

Certain persons here on AAPK (and there are more than one) seem to troll these
pages actively searching for a verbal argument. These persons go into long-winded posts to
support their argument/point of view. And they absolutely must have the last word in said discussion.

I simply will not participate in these discussions.

::handshake::
I try to do the best I can to positively contribute to this forum. As a background, I have never tweeted, even logged on to Facebook, My Space, whatever social app you can name, never done it. This is the only forum I have ever been a part of to this point and will likely be the only one. That said, not better than anyone else and respect their choices. I don't look for arguments as I have better things to do with my time. But there is that pesky little situation called "Right or Wrong" to be dealt with or not. I chose to take it head on either way and deal with it regardless of ramifications.

However, my positive contribution to this forum yesterday and today in my opinion, although some may not view it as such, is to point out something that in my opinion is a detriment, not a positive contribution to this forum. I don't care who is doing it. Wrong is wrong. It hurts our forum and has no value in any way. Maybe it won't change anything but having the stones to say so even if that makes me unpopular is a risk I am willing to take. So be it. Needed to be said. If someone considers that "trolling", they are way off the mark in my opinion.

Anyone can call me long winded because in many case I am. I prefer that level of detail as to why I feel as I do and point to reasons/fact to back it up. "How about this for an example"? New member (or not) posts a fake knife that has very little knowledge/is still learning. "A member responds 'The knife is counterfeit" with no detail. Most people prefer detail rather than a vague blanket statement.

I certainly was not trying to bait anyone. A comment was made that it was a joke and I obviously firmly disagree with that. This is a discussion as you stated, not an argument.

If this feeds in to the "And they absolutely must have the last word in said discussion" comment so be it. I will not stay quiet in situations like this. But I will be respectful to other points of view even if I don't agree with them.

I don't hide behind my keyboard but rather stand for my morals. The described and posted behavior is not good for our forum. Sorry, but that is important to me and I will not apologize for calling it what it is no matter what the repercussions may be.

Regards, Jerry
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Well said Jerry,Wayne,Kieth.I agree with you 100%. There is something to be said about what's morally right and what's not.We all know in this situation what's what. I think most everyone does, it's all there in black and white.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My definition of an argument. "Two fools, each thinking he will change the mind of the other."
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

jerryd6818 wrote:My definition of an argument. "Two fools, each thinking he will change the mind of the other."
Thanks for your definition JerryD and chiming in. Appreciate you posting that. Based on your definition, we agree this is not an argument. From my perspective at least, as I don't expect or "am thinking" I will change anyone's opinion or "the mind of the other" as you stated. Therefore not an argument by your definition nor a "fool".

The writing is on the wall. If others chose to read it as otherwise, no chance of changing one's opinion anyway. A fruitless battle I never engage in. But I call it as I see it however that may be interpreted as I said. Right and Wrong is the "mountain I want to die on" if one knows what I mean regardless if someone agrees with me or not. That is how I read it. In this case "Wrong" in case anyone missed that part. Seems I am not the only one also. Seems I ship Koolade nationwide or others agree...

Regards, Jerry (Nevada Jerry as some call me)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

zp4ja wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:My definition of an argument. "Two fools, each thinking he will change the mind of the other."
Thanks for your definition JerryD and chiming in. Appreciate you posting that. Based on your definition, we agree this is not an argument. From my perspective at least, as I don't expect or "am thinking" I will change anyone's opinion or "the mind of the other" as you stated. Therefore not an argument by your definition nor a "fool".

The writing is on the wall. If others chose to read it as otherwise, no chance of changing one's opinion anyway. A fruitless battle I never engage in. But I call it as I see it however that may be interpreted as I said. Right and Wrong is the "mountain I want to die on" if one knows what I mean regardless if someone agrees with me or not. That is how I read it. In this case "Wrong" in case anyone missed that part. Seems I am not the only one also. Seems I ship Koolade nationwide or others agree...

Regards, Jerry (Nevada Jerry as some call me)
I took it as expressing an opinion with a take it or leave it attitude.
My post re: "definition of an argument", prompted by precieved argumentative notes (not from you) was intended as an opinion with a take it or leave it attitude.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I also have followed this thread, and considered not commenting, but since I am a member of the forum, I guess I'll say my piece.

I'm just a guy that likes knives. A lot. I suppose I should be better educated on the brands and their history, but as of right now, I'm not. I know enough to make me dangerous. I have a ton of respect for those on this forum that have taken the time to learn the history of the brands they follow, and even brands that they don't follow. I defer to those people to know if a knife is legit, or estimated value, and do not feel they would try to take advantage of me or others. I don't always get that feeling at knife shows.

I admire and appreciate people on this forum like Steve, Tom, Lee, Joe, Dale, Jerry, Dimitri, etc., too many to name, that are free with their brand and collecting knowledge. I've done deals with a handful of you, and I feel that most on this forum are generous and fair. I would think we would also extend that generosity, fairness, and kindness to people that are new to the forum. And I believe that we do that, even knowing that we'll never see that person again that comes to ask about value on a knife. However, I would wager that a few contributing members started here simply by asking the value of a knife they had, felt welcomed, and stayed on.

I am sure many of you would give someone the knife rather than it be said that you took advantage of them in a sale. Sometimes our integrity is all we have that's worth anything these days.

Glenn
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

glennbad wrote: Sometimes our integrity is all we have that's worth anything these days.

Glenn
I wholeheartedly agree ::tu::
cbfd

Post by cbfd »

For what it is worth,I`ve never looked at those two terms with anything but a bit of humor. Bill
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

#goldpan wrote:
glennbad wrote: Sometimes our integrity is all we have that's worth anything these days.

Glenn
I wholeheartedly agree ::tu::
100% agree Glenn. Integrity is paramount to me. Not worth trading for anything material in the world and not certainly for sale. Prefer to have a semi clean slate (I am not perfect) when I meet my maker. Whole post was well said.
cbfd wrote:For what it is worth, I've never looked at those two terms with anything but a bit of humor. Bill
I hear ya Bill. Seems innocuous on the surface and not sure I would call it humorous but I respect your opinion. After scratching the surface of the comment, not so humorous in my opinion. I have no issue with "HET". Not my bag and that is harmless to the forum although it seems a lot of folks wonder what the heck it means.

However, "ignorance is bliss" as far as the term "Rooskie". Most that have seen the underside of such a term know it is bragging about a screw job. More than the posted link member have been on the receiving end. I find no humor in that. I find this behavior minus the bragging as unacceptable and detrimental to the new members of the forum AND a reflection on the forum as a whole, myself included. I have an issue with other actions reflecting poorly on myself. The bragging on a screw job takes it to a different level for me as I sated. That is how I feel if anyone agrees or not. So be it.

Maybe some did not read what I posted on page 2.

Anyone ever wonder why the old chat room was dismantled or got broken? Brian is greatly appreciated by me and very knowledgeable about website, etc. No doubt. I only visited a couple times but everyone knew the "rowdy forum bunch" chatted there as I recall. Correct me if I am wrong. Certainly not a positive forum atmosphere as I recall. And if not a technical issue, no skin off my back that it is gone.

I appreciate the responses, whatever your viewpoint may be. That said, what is good for our forum? Most all enjoy and MOST care about it. I see this behavior as not acceptable to current and especially new members.

If anyone thinks this is an isolated incident and not a pattern, they are painfully incorrect.

Regards, Jerry

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”