Ring opener knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bronze4u

New incoming ring turn

Post by bronze4u »

This is one I just purchased by the Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & CO
I assume it is nickel, or nickel silver maybe? I will be posting my own photography once it arrives. I like heir stamp on tag: 'O.V.B.' (our very best)

Looking forward to yet another nice ring turn knife.
hibbard44.jpg
hibbard33.jpg
hibbard22.jpg
hibbard 11.jpg
If you’re gonna be dumb... You better be tough!
bronze4u

Re: Ring opener knives

Post by bronze4u »

Just in... I have this beautiful unsharpened ring ring turn knife by: Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co.
ring list 57 - Copy.jpg
ring list 26 Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co..jpg
ring list 50.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

bronze4u wrote:Hello, I am a 'newbie' here. I am currently collecting the old vintage 'Ring opener', 'Ring Turn', ring Twist' pocket knives, or whatever you like to call them. Please let me know should you have any you'd like to trade, or sell? I also have a fairly large collection of other vintage knives, and straight razors. Cheersring turn pic 2 - Copy.jpg
*UPDATE:
GRIFFON XX GRIFFON CUTLERY WORKS, GERMANY
Just purchased this beautiful jigged bone/stag? vintage ring turn in near mint condition!
I will post my own photography later, once it arrives.
ring list 34 Griffon Cutlery Works XX.jpg
RING GRIFFON 11.jpg
ring list gr.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Joining the Ring Opener party :) that Kirk started with his cool collection ::tu::

Empire Winsted CT Sterling Silver Ring Opener (3 & 1/4") - Nicely engraved and some cool stamps on bottom photo on the mark side cover... not sure but believe the stamp on left which is a small flag with "F&B" inside may have been the jeweler who made the sterling handle covers, middle stamp is Sterling and numbers on right may be the pattern # from Empire "5467" ...
Mark Side DSCN5743.JPG
Pile Side DSCN5815.JPG
Blades Open DSCN5770.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN5793.JPG
Handle Mark Side Stamps DSCN5800.JPG
Cheers and thanks for looking!
Lee

Post by bronze4u »

That's a beauty! Let me know should you ever want to sell, or trade for anything, or both maybe? Thank you for joining in!

Cheers,

Kirk
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Kirk ::tu:: ::tu:: ... first Ring Opener in my collection within my line of focus :D ...

Post by bronze4u »

LongBlade wrote:Thanks Kirk ::tu:: ::tu:: ... first Ring Opener in my collection within my line of focus :D ...
I understand Lee! Great post! ::tu::
Should you ever want to part with it, I have many vintage autos you might like to choose from. Lol

Cheers

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

TRIO OF ALL THREE SIMONDS RING TURN KNIVES!!!

I now have collected the prized trio! The eldest version is before it was Warden & White, Just A A Simonds. All are USA, yet W. H. Morley Made.
nds group of 3.jpg
ring list 3 Simonds group.jpg
[attachment=0]
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

Finally I have all three versions of Simonds ring openers!
Oldest starting with: "the A A Simonds - Dayton Co.", then "Simonds - Worden - White Co.", and "Simonds Worden White Co."

We all know that feeling of reaching that 'knife hunt goal' At least I hope everyone knows... There will always be a hunt when it comes to knives!

Of course - I still have several other ring turn knives I am hunting for... As well, there are all the variables and unknown ring turns that I won't even know about until I see them. THIS ads so much more to the 'thrill of the hunt'.

I hope everyone finds their prey out there hunting.... Please share anything ring turn related here!

Cheers,

Kirk
ring list Simonds Trio.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

My group shot minus one arriving later today. 8)
ring list group 2.jpg
ring list group 1.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

My Griffon X X is here!

Looks to be bone for sure as I see a bone like side grain in it.. It also feels heavy like the real deal. It is definitely jigged.

Knife is great, just has some up/down blade wobble. No real side to side.. All in all in all a very nice and shiny new looking old knife.

Cheers,

Kirk
griffon b.jpg
griffon h.jpg
griffon f.jpg
griffon e.jpg
griffon c.jpg
griffon 11.jpg
Griffon 1.jpg
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

Here is another new ring turn that arrived today.

Dolphin Cutlery N.Y.S.R., Co., "Berry & Caswell Clothing Hub"
ring list 35 Dolphin Cutlery N.Y.S.R., Co., Berry & Caswell Clothing Hub.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Another cool ring opener addition to the pile Kirk ::tu:: ::tu:: .... you are on a ring opener "mission" for sure and on a roll ::nod:: :D

Post by bronze4u »

LongBlade wrote:Another cool ring opener addition to the pile Kirk ::tu:: ::tu:: .... you are on a ring opener "mission" for sure and on a roll ::nod:: :D
Ha! Thanks longblade!

Cheers,

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

Gotta love MOP scaled knives, especially with rings!
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1507.JPG
IMG_1517.JPG
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co. ring turn
IMG_1521.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

These are in the mail. I purchased one lot of nine ring turns! Then the other three are coming from the U.K. We'll see how I did? These are the sellers photos that I combined.
IMG_1818.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Nice collection. I see you even found a cigar box opener with a ring blade opener. That has to be a rare piece. ___Dave
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Kirk - nice haul to add for the collection you are building ::tu:: ::tu:: ... you are indeed the "ring" leader :lol: ... I particularly like the HSB knife handle covers !!

As Dave pointed out a ring opener for cigar boxes - now that is interesting given that I thought these knives were favored by the ladies so they wouldn't break a nail opening the knife blades - like to see a photo of the woman who used this smoking a big stogie :lol: :lol: ... (if indeed it was a woman as I am sure some men carried these as well)...

Post by bronze4u »

djknife13 wrote:Nice collection. I see you even found a cigar box opener with a ring blade opener. That has to be a rare piece. ___Dave
Thanks Dave, hmm I never heard that before. I thought it was a letter opener, or grafting knife.
I have one other one (added pic)
IMG_8575.JPG
IMG_9155.JPG
that seems really rare and possibly real ivory.
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

LongBlade wrote:Kirk - nice haul to add for the collection you are building ::tu:: ::tu:: ... you are indeed the "ring" leader :lol: ... I particularly like the HSB knife handle covers !!

As Dave pointed out a ring opener for cigar boxes - now that is interesting given that I thought these knives were favored by the ladies so they wouldn't break a nail opening the knife blades - like to see a photo of the woman who used this smoking a big stogie :lol: :lol: ... (if indeed it was a woman as I am sure some men carried these as well)...
Yea it's funny - as knowbody really knows it 'as fact' I even hear for the blind? Whattt? Not sure but either way they are cool to me and becoming pretty scarce. Although there were so many different models made and many were advertising knives. Given that I suspect there are many more out there. Thanks guys, for all the input and interest.

Cheers

Kirk
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

djknife13 wrote:Nice collection. I see you even found a cigar box opener with a ring blade opener. That has to be a rare piece. ___Dave
For a better look, I cropped the new one that is coming in the mail. Seller said French, it is stamped Paris on handles. But most are either Sheffield made, or German.
IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG (22.57 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

LongBlade wrote:Kirk - nice haul to add for the collection you are building ::tu:: ::tu:: ... you are indeed the "ring" leader :lol: ... I particularly like the HSB knife handle covers !!

Yes, I like the HSB as well!
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Kirk - that first ring opener with ivory looks to me to be a grafting knife as well and I am assuming perhaps the blade was a lambsfoot or sheepsfoot at one time - classic looking design for that pattern and a ring opener as well - unique to me as I had never seen a grafting knife with a turn ring... ::tu::

The second in metal with advertising though certainly makes me agree with Dave - looks like a box opener - perhaps a palette for putty but leaning towards a box opener... think a letter opener would be much thinner with a point and perhaps longer... it may be interesting to try and figure out what it was advertising for as that may be a clue ::nod:: ...

Cheers
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

The ivory one looks to me to maybe be a letter folder (paper folder) and a close-up of the metal one makes me second guess my first assessment because I don't see a nail puller slot in it. Is the advertising on the knife a tobacco company? They both are the same shape as cigar box openers. People didn't usually carry the openers except for ones with a cigar cutter/knife blade. Most of the more regular box openers were used behind the counter in drug stores to open the boxes and the ones with hammer heads were to tap the little nail back down. I'll have to dig my collection of them out for a picture of what I have when I get a chance.___Dave

Return to “General Knife Discussion”