Elephant Ivory Handles

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bighomer

Re: Elephant Ivory Handles

Post by bighomer »

Q all I got to say about that and the barlow is WOW!!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: that glennbad is goooood. ::nod:: ::tu::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

That Barlow surely is a beauty. It does seem to be one of the German Authorized Reproduction of the '70s or possibly '80s (?), so bear in mind that it's not one of the 1920s-1930s Remingtons most vintage collectors refer to as "authentic Remingtons". I have these two Remington-stamped Barlows that seem to fit the same exact profile as those marked reproductions but do not have the repro stamps indicating as such... Neither are ivory but I will post them here in hopes that they help with any further research. Note the lined bolsters and pin placement including the offset end pins which are not found on "authentic" Remingtons (and are not seen as often as centered end pins on Barlows and barehead jacks in general).
29426434874_2511b3d827_k.jpg
30053998015_76a42620a7_k.jpg
Either way, that's a fantastic score. ::tu:: Makes me want to find one with a spear blade, ivory or otherwise. 8)
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I did not know of authorized Remington repros made in Germany 1970's-80's.
Just barlows ? or other patterns as well ?
Do you know which German manufacturer ?
thanks, kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

QTCut5, nice to hear you speak of your ivory collection. Is it mostly recent production ? or vintage ? and only folding knives or fixed blades too ? Any full customs ?
My ivory knives span from maybe 1870's to present, production & custom, folders & fixed blades.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:I did not know of authorized Remington repros made in Germany 1970's-80's.
Just barlows ? or other patterns as well ?
Do you know which German manufacturer ?
thanks, kj
I may be a little light on the details; some other large knife forums I've been a part of were pretty much all in agreement over these particular "Authorized Reproduction Germany" knives as being of Boker manufacture from the 1970s or 1980s (or both?), commonly marketed on ebay and other sites as "authentic Remington Barlows". I haven't heard of any German repros of other Remington patterns from this period, and I never really found and saved a reference because it just seemed to be "common knowledge" -- which of course could have led me to assume all sorts of erroneous details! ::shrug::

I do know that I've seen a steady march of these Barlows stamped "Authorized Reproduction Germany" on the pile side of the master, and that they are routinely featured in "How to tell genuine Remington Barlows from fakes" threads, even though these don't seem to count as sheer "fakes". Early in my Barlow collecting I found both of the knives I posted for good to very good prices, pulled the trigger, and only later found out that they seemed to be identical builds to the "Authorized Reproductions" I learned about after the fact. The tangs do not seem ground and the stamp on the mark side is the same, so I always assumed these were reproductions meant for markets that didn't require/expect the repro stamp to appear.

The ivory-handled Barlow seems to be directly related to all of the other "Authorized Reproduction" Remington Barlows I've seen, the construction seems to confirm the vintage ('70s over '20s-30s), and looking through photos of all the old Remington Barlows you can see none of them used that offset end pin which seems to be the calling card of these reproductions. Only difference between the ones I've seen and this one is the spear blade and the ivory; before this thread I've never seen one with anything but a clip master and bone handles.

They're built solid, take and hold edges well, and feel right in the hand. If the price is right (and $40 is assuredly right) then it's a bona fide quality Barlow regardless of originality or country of origin. As always, feel free to correct any erroneous assumptions so that we may learn how to better read these knives, folks. ::nod::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

kootenay joe wrote:QTCut5, nice to hear you speak of your ivory collection. Is it mostly recent production ? or vintage ? and only folding knives or fixed blades too ? Any full customs ?
My ivory knives span from maybe 1870's to present, production & custom, folders & fixed blades.
kj

Finally got around to gathering all my ivories together for a group photo. No antiques or vintage. Just one full custom--so far, anyway, I'm still waiting on a couple of custom orders.
P5190377.JPG
Latest addition is this little AGR CM-4 Baby Barlow shown next to a Lone Wolf Paul Perfecto (modified by Ivoryman) and a Case Large Copperlock (modified by glennbad) for size comparison.
P5190382.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Wow Q, stunning group, very uniquely beautiful and striking look. I imagine they feel amazing too, ivory has that certain feel that is really nice. That's a heck of an accumulation of rare beauties.
Love to see what you have too KJ.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I like the AGR Baby Barlow, elegant little knife.
I will try to get some of my vintage ivory folders pictured & then post them. But it likely will be in a few weeks time.
kj
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Q Gorgeous simply gorgeous WOW × 10.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ivory knife handles are as much about in hand feel as well as visual appeal. A well designed handle with edges radiused so there are no edges has a most pleasing in hand feel. The vintage Jos. Rodgers from circa 1900 perfected ivory knife handles. Not even my best custom has as perfect 'melt into your hand' feel as my (now ex) Jos. Rodgers ivory multiblade from ~ 1906.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

E.I. Bulldog sow belly stockman
Attachments
WP_20170609_002.jpg
WP_20170609_008.jpg
WP_20170609_006.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

That is one sleek sowbelly stockman...Beautiful curves on that, just beggin' to be stroked & caressed. 8) ::drool::

~Q~

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ivoryman i have wondered about the later (i.e. not first Gen.) Bulldogs with ivory handles: actual slab of original tusk ivory or 'reconstituted ivory' (ivory sawdust + epoxy) ?
What is your opinion of the ivory on this sowbelly ?
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

This is a 2004, they are slabs, in hand the grain lines are clear, some areas of slight color variation into beige or off white where the grain changes a bit under the shield.
Thanks Q, I do like the curves on it. Flowing and sweeping.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Don't know what year this Bulldog wharncliffe whittler was made, but it has "reconstituted" ivory scales. The difference between the ivory dust/epoxy covers and genuine elephant ivory is pretty obvious when you examine the knife in person. The recon ivory lacks grain and the glossy "depth" of genuine ivory. If I didn't know better, I would probably think the scales on my whittler were a synthetic material (which, essentially, they are...unless epoxy is a natural substance).
P6150357.JPG
P6150361.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

There are some gorgeous knives being shown in this thread! ::drool:: Here's a large Samuel Jackson whittler.
Attachments
Samuel Jackson Whittler.jpg
jackson-11.jpg
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dave, it looks like whittler is just over 5" ? How old do you think it is ? 2 springs or one ??
kj
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

It's 5 5/8" closed and dates between 1833 and 1874. It's one single spring, but it's been split in a unique way.

Part of the backspring was cut out to create the two springs for the pen blade and leather punch. In between the two springs is a brass bit on a pivot. Moving the brass bit pushes the master blade up and out of the handle so it can be easily opened since the blade lacks a nail nick or a long pull.
Attachments
jackson-6.jpg
jackson-8.jpg
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Now that is one cool knife! 8) ::tu::

Master blade is practically a melon tester...seems like it'd be hard to whittle anything with such a long blade.

So, does the brass spring-wedge push against the cutting edge of the master blade to open it?

~Q~

~Q~
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Thanks, Q. :D

The knife is more like a folding dirk, but because of the placement of two smaller blades opposite the master blade, it's technically whittler. Like you said, it'd be hard to actually whittle with it. Pretty sure I'd end up with a nasty cut or two if I tried. :lol:

The brass bit does push against the cutting edge to get the master blade out. It rotates on the pivot slowly, so it pushes on the cutting edge gently enough where you don't have to worry about it dulling the blade.
Dave

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dave it is a true split spring whittler, and more with the 'blade lifter'. I have seen pictures of this knife in the BRL forum at BF about 5 or more years ago.
Is it your knife ?
kj
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

That's my knife, kj. I sent it to Bernard Levine shortly after I got it to get a value estimation for insurance purposes.
Dave

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow. I think it is one of the most significant of all vintage USA folding knives. It is worthy of being in a Smithsonian museum display.
kj
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
At the risk of being laughed at by you real Ivory handled Knife collectors, I am posting pictures of my knives that have possible ivory handles. I lack the skill, and expertise to tell if any of them have real ivory handles. The only one that i would say has real ivory, is the little Henckels pen knife, and I'm probably wrong on it. The top knife shown, is a Bridge Cutlery Co. of St Louis knife. The second is a Winchester Trademark made in USA #2089, the third , is a Case xx Best #44047P. The fourth a Schrade Walden N.Y. Stainless steel Fruit knife. The fifth, is a J.A. Henckles Pen knife. The first three of the knives were acquired by the "Drop Knife" game played many years ago on construction jobs. The Schrade Walden fruit knife in Florida at a gun show, many years ago. The little J.A.Henckels pen knife, was a present from my Sons many years ago. I would like to have the opinion of the Ivory experts on this forum, Do any of them have real ivory handles?
Attachments
DSC01537.JPG
DSC01538.JPG
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

dcgm4 wrote:That's my knife, kj. I sent it to Bernard Levine shortly after I got it to get a value estimation for insurance purposes.
Dave I referenced that pic from BF just the other day in another thread. I had no idea it was your knife. What an absolute treasure you have there. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”