Elephant Ivory Handles

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
BWT

Re: Elephant Ivory Handles

Post by BWT »

Beautiful knife Q, thanks for sharing.
Bill
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
Gary...I see that sweet ivory H&R Congress drifting across the top of the screen...OUCH! You're killing me, man...that's potential divorce material if I were to buy it now. Hmmm...which will I choose...my wife? or another ivory knife? (I'll have to get back to you later on that one.) ::undecided::

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

QT. i think these are examples of the knife in the wife for a knife deal. Although maybe not; 3 1/2" (just shy), both are marked " Bertram/*Germany* ". They were sold to me as having ivory handles but they could be ivory Rucarta (an AGR product) and thus out of place in this thread.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3287.JPG
IMGP3288.JPG
IMGP3289.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

kootenay joe wrote:QT. i think these are examples of the knife in the wife for a knife deal. Although maybe not; 3 1/2" (just shy), both are marked " Bertram/*Germany* ". They were sold to me as having ivory handles but they could be ivory Rucarta (an AGR product) and thus out of place in this thread.
kj
Edit: still working on an indoor light set up. these are bad pictures, my most worsest ever.
Very interesting. I am glad to know that, thanks Roland. (My wife is safe...for the time being)

Yeah, I have noticed that it can be difficult to distinguish between genuine ivory and some imitation ivory materials such as Rucarta and Casein in photos. What you call your "most worstest" photos are still significantly better than many of what I consider my most bestest photos. You seem to have mastered the art of photographing ivory so as to highlight the character and grain, a technique I am still trying to learn. Every now and then I manage to get lucky, but it's still a work in progress for me. Proper lighting, of course, is paramount. Consider these examples of my trial & error experimentation.
P1120048.JPG
P1140009.JPG
P1120015.JPG
P1120025.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 3 tiny Barlow knives, 2 1/2" marked A.G.Russell & CM-4/Germany. Handles are elephant ivory.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3283.JPG
IMGP3285.JPG
IMGP3286.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

While you were posting your CM-4 knife i was taking pics of mine. Only saw yours after i posted.
I deleted the bad pictures of the 2 Half Congress knives and posted slightly better ones ?
Outdoor light for ivory is all i know. However in Canada in the winter the sun is at a too low angle to be bright when overcast. My pics will improve with the increasing hours of daylight, meaning sunlight more able to be bright after coming through a layer of overcast.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There is another AGR/Bertram small Barlow that is 2 7/8" and marked "CM-8". The above ivory handled CM-4 Barlows are just slightly under 2 1/2". I am posting 2 pictures to show a comparison. It took me awhile before i realized there are 2 different tiny Bertram/AGR Barlows.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3295.JPG
IMGP3296.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

That's very cool, Roland...I did not know there was a larger version of that pattern. The reason I got my CM-4 is because of the ivory, and it's a sweet little knife, to be sure. But, "little" is the operative word with regard to that knife...a bit too small for my preference, actually. May be novelty knife size, but it's a very nice, well-made knife, nevertheless (as is to be expected with pretty much any AG Russell knife).
P1150033.JPG
P1150034.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an oldie & at just under 2" is a mini multiblade. Snap of all 'blades' is still crisp and the scissors still have the the spring. Note the extensive filework on the spine. Only issue is the tip of button hook is broken off.
Only marked "HALL". I'm sure it is British so either C. Hall 1836-1872, or I. Hall 1795-1830.
Ivory handles, neat old knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3473.JPG
IMGP3474.JPG
IMGP3475.JPG
IMGP3476.JPG
IMGP3477.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is another old British ivory multiblade, 3 3/8" marked "Henry Hobson & Son" 1860's-1920's. This one is '4 thick' and has 4 blades top & bottom.
The scribe & tweezers are present. Secondary blade is about half length. Great walk & talk and feels so smooth in hand. The ivory handles are 'radiused' at the edges so instead of being 90 degrees, the edges are a perfect smooth curve.
Closer to 1860's than 1920's.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3478.JPG
IMGP3480.JPG
IMGP3479.JPG
IMGP3481.JPG
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks for sharing KJ, that's a great looking old knife, nice find!!!
Bill
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

This one cracks me up and brings a smile every time I look at it. And again when I feel it. Sold as a custom Chuck Garlits in white micarta, or some man made material, bad pics so you couldn't tell what it was. Classic M.O. these days. Don't mention the "I" word. So be on the lookout, never know what you will stumble onto being billed as something other than ivory. This is crown jewel of ivory knives for me anyway, and maybe of all knives for me, top of a small heap. Two of the most beautiful slabs of tusk I've ever seen, cut parallel with the grain, yellows and tans and off white colors under magnification, buffed to a high gloss shine on a very fine knife. Mmmmmmmmnnnnnnn.
Attachments
WP_20180514_100.jpg
WP_20180514_093.jpg
WP_20180517_009.jpg
WP_20180517_002.jpg
WP_20180514_050.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I know of this maker but i have never seen/held one of his knives. I like the design, muscular looking curves and fine looking ivory dress it up, sort of like an athlete in a tuxedo. Was this an ebay knife ?
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Yes KJ, there are two more he's selling, one with MOP, one with brown wood.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. I just had a look. You got the best one by far.
kj
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Ivoryman wrote:This one cracks me up and brings a smile every time I look at it. And again when I feel it. Sold as a custom Chuck Garlits in white micarta, or some man made material, bad pics so you couldn't tell what it was. Classic M.O. these days. Don't mention the "I" word. So be on the lookout, never know what you will stumble onto being billed as something other than ivory. This is crown jewel of ivory knives for me anyway, and maybe of all knives for me, top of a small heap. Two of the most beautiful slabs of tusk I've ever seen, cut parallel with the grain, yellows and tans and off white colors under magnification, buffed to a high gloss shine on a very fine knife. Mmmmmmmmnnnnnnn.
Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous!
Nice snag.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks for comments everyone, appreciate it.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Iman, your ivory is indeed spectacular, certainly for me. I've never seen any that beautiful before. Congrats.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

You're too kind Quick, almost making me blush with all that kind of talk. I don't know how it rates but I know it's a great piece I STOLE for the price. If this had been legal to sell and openly describe, probably would have sold for double or triple what I low balled him for. Almost feel guilty. Thanks again for the compliments all.
abrowe

Post by abrowe »

That's one very classy knife Ivoryman. Pete
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks all, here's another with great tusk. In hand you can see all kinds of grain, splotches, tiny streaks of tans and yellows. It's a great knife with smooth action, tight blades, flush fit and finish. I intended to use this knife but I just can't use the main blade with all that embellishment. Therefore it has to go. I tried posting it on it's own thread to sell, no dice, I'm not cleared, even though I was cleared months ago. I thought. But anyway, if anyone is interested I paid one forty something. Since there's no fees on AAPK anyone who wants it PM me, you can have it for $125 and for that, where you gonna get another one like it? PM me and lets make a deal. Otherwise enjoy the view. Thanks again.
Attachments
WP_20180810_029.jpg
WP_20180810_030.jpg
WP_20180810_031.jpg
WP_20180810_034.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Check out these 6 matching serial numbered Case Ivory handled knives. Just got them back from Gary Harbour who did the scrimshaw work on all of them.
I wanted old ships, because ivory knives make me think clipper ships. Gary did a fantastic job for me.
Mark
Only getting 4 to load will include a few more pics in another post.
Attachments
IMG_3665.jpeg
IMG_3669.jpeg
IMG_3671.jpeg
IMG_3673.jpeg
IMG_3658.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

A few more pics.
Attachments
IMG_3658.jpeg
IMG_3659.jpeg
IMG_3660.jpeg
IMG_3661.jpeg
IMG_3662.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Colored scrimshaw to boot, don't see that much. Fabulous museum quality collection, historical relics. Great stuff. Wow.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Are these knives the only set that Case made with ivory handles ? I think they must be rather rare. The scrimshaw is interesting and colorful, i think it is very good work. This set really deserves to be on display.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”