Elephant Ivory Handles

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Tony_Wood

Re: Elephant Ivory Handles

Post by Tony_Wood »

Ivoryman wrote:This one cracks me up and brings a smile every time I look at it. And again when I feel it. Sold as a custom Chuck Garlits in white micarta, or some man made material, bad pics so you couldn't tell what it was. Classic M.O. these days. Don't mention the "I" word. So be on the lookout, never know what you will stumble onto being billed as something other than ivory. This is crown jewel of ivory knives for me anyway, and maybe of all knives for me, top of a small heap. Two of the most beautiful slabs of tusk I've ever seen, cut parallel with the grain, yellows and tans and off white colors under magnification, buffed to a high gloss shine on a very fine knife. Mmmmmmmmnnnnnnn.
Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous!
Nice snag.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks for comments everyone, appreciate it.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Iman, your ivory is indeed spectacular, certainly for me. I've never seen any that beautiful before. Congrats.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

You're too kind Quick, almost making me blush with all that kind of talk. I don't know how it rates but I know it's a great piece I STOLE for the price. If this had been legal to sell and openly describe, probably would have sold for double or triple what I low balled him for. Almost feel guilty. Thanks again for the compliments all.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
abrowe

Post by abrowe »

That's one very classy knife Ivoryman. Pete
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks all, here's another with great tusk. In hand you can see all kinds of grain, splotches, tiny streaks of tans and yellows. It's a great knife with smooth action, tight blades, flush fit and finish. I intended to use this knife but I just can't use the main blade with all that embellishment. Therefore it has to go. I tried posting it on it's own thread to sell, no dice, I'm not cleared, even though I was cleared months ago. I thought. But anyway, if anyone is interested I paid one forty something. Since there's no fees on AAPK anyone who wants it PM me, you can have it for $125 and for that, where you gonna get another one like it? PM me and lets make a deal. Otherwise enjoy the view. Thanks again.
Attachments
WP_20180810_029.jpg
WP_20180810_030.jpg
WP_20180810_031.jpg
WP_20180810_034.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Check out these 6 matching serial numbered Case Ivory handled knives. Just got them back from Gary Harbour who did the scrimshaw work on all of them.
I wanted old ships, because ivory knives make me think clipper ships. Gary did a fantastic job for me.
Mark
Only getting 4 to load will include a few more pics in another post.
Attachments
IMG_3665.jpeg
IMG_3669.jpeg
IMG_3671.jpeg
IMG_3673.jpeg
IMG_3658.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A few more pics.
Attachments
IMG_3658.jpeg
IMG_3659.jpeg
IMG_3660.jpeg
IMG_3661.jpeg
IMG_3662.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Colored scrimshaw to boot, don't see that much. Fabulous museum quality collection, historical relics. Great stuff. Wow.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Are these knives the only set that Case made with ivory handles ? I think they must be rather rare. The scrimshaw is interesting and colorful, i think it is very good work. This set really deserves to be on display.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, I was so captivated by your wonderful collection I forgot to puff on my pipe and it went out. I collect some scrimshaw but nothing approaching your level. Just sensational. Congratulations. ::ds::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Shepherd Hills Cutlery offered these back in 2009 or 2010 I think. They made 100 sets of these. If you bought the first one, they then gave you the option to buy the other 5 matching serial numbers as they came out. Obama’s administration annouced some changes were coming to the ban on ivory which would have made it nearly impossible for them to be sold after that. So they rushed the other 5 into production and let everyone know that they were going to have to come up w/ the cash for all 5 at once instead of over a period of time. So I am not sure how many people got the entire matching serial numbered set. But there could be 99 other sets out there.
Gary Harbour hadn’t scrimed any other sets and this was the first set of these he had seen.
I got these scrimshawed to sell them easier, but after I got them back, I am not sure I want to let them go.
I have another thread on this going about whether I should sell them or keep them. Trying to get advice from people wiser than myself about what I should do. My big fear is that a future administration will change the rules again and make it a crime just to own these. Plus I live in fear of being robbed, living out in the country. Not robbed by strangers but by drug addict family members. It’s a tough choice.
I saw this thread and figured you guys would really enjoy seeing these.
Mark
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Those who collect custom knives say it is more difficult to sell a knife with engraving work or scrimshaw work. This is the opposite of what seems logical, that the engraving/scrimshaw enhance the knife and thus should enhance the value.
Does the same apply to production knives, i.e. harder to sell once embellished with scrimshaw or engraving ? or do production knives 'behave' opposite to custom and scrimshaw etc. makes them easier to sell ?
I am sure you have a lot of money invested in this set so to keep or sell cannot be an easy decision.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks for the interest everyone, appreciate it, the Bulldog is sold. Thanks again.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Roland, I thought about that. When I decided on what the scrim work should be I thought this would have broad appeal. What got me on this was watching an Elephant Toe that was sold on EBay with scrim of an Elephant. The seller, whose identity I won’t mention, just had this listed as a scrimshawed knife, but it went for about 900 dollars and it was obvious to me and everyone that this was ivory. So that got me thinking about doing something different on these. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Still trying to decide if I want to sell or keep.
Mark
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, i really think you should keep them for 'awhile' unless someone makes an offer that allows you to break even or come out ahead. Do you know the maker of the $900 Toenail ? I have a GEC ivory Toenail, no scrimshaw.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Roland, I know the knife was made by Case. The Scrimshander I can’t remember, but it was beautiful and very well done. It was a well known artist that uses two initials. I think it was DS, which is David Stanbrough. Or it could have been MD Mary Davidson. Not sure.
Tried to find the listing on eBay and it’s not there anymore. Which is strange because I had it in my watchlist. Can’t find it in advanced search either.
If I come up w/ it, I will let you know.
Mark
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Mark. Knowing it is a Case toenail is enough for me. Older Case knives are expensive even without ivory or scrimshaw work.
A knife dealer told me he had sold a GEC #45 Toenail with ivory handles for $1500. This i think is 'very expensive'. Very few of us would pay that amount.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just an FYI, If anyone is interested in haveing a knife scrimed, Gary Harbour is still working hard and doing a great job. You can find him online. Or I can pass along contact information if you PM me. I won’t put it up here on a public forum.
Thanks,
Mark
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

F. Herder, crossed keys logo, ivory whittler; early 1900's, sample knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5346.JPG
IMGP5348.JPG
IMGP5349.JPG
IMGP5350.JPG
IMGP5351.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

kj, Given its age I think the condition is quite good. I don't know if there is a way to stop the pin cracks from developing further. Maybe putting on a layer of Renn wax or something similar?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks QS. I think pin cracks in ivory are stable as long as knife is not dropped onto a hard surface. I think the crack occurs with the last tap of the hafter's pin hammer.
The front handle shows no grain and on it's own i would doubt it to be ivory. However the back handle does show some typical ivory grain, so the front handle is also ivory. I mention this so you can know that sometimes ivory will not show any grain.
It does not have "Germany" so could be pre 1891 but more likely F.Herder did not export to USA in early 1900's. Anyone know if or when F. Herder knives were imported into USA ? Note: there are about 5 "Herder" knife manufacturers; this one is "Friedr. Herder Abr.Sohn" ( or "F. Herder"). The crossed keys logo was registered in 1848. Their more well known logo is the Spade that goes back to 1727.
kj
BWT

Post by BWT »

Roland can't help you with the knife information, but it's a beauty!!!
Bill
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks QS. I think pin cracks in ivory are stable as long as knife is not dropped onto a hard surface. I think the crack occurs with the last tap of the hafter's pin hammer.
The front handle shows no grain and on it's own i would doubt it to be ivory. However the back handle does show some typical ivory grain, so the front handle is also ivory. I mention this so you can know that sometimes ivory will not show any grain.
It does not have "Germany" so could be pre 1891 but more likely F.Herder did not export to USA in early 1900's. Anyone know if or when F. Herder knives were imported into USA ? Note: there are about 5 "Herder" knife manufacturers; this one is "Friedr. Herder Abr.Sohn" ( or "F. Herder"). The crossed keys logo was registered in 1848. Their more well known logo is the Spade that goes back to 1727.
kj
Roland, Simple elegance is the phrase that comes to mind when I see this knife. Very nice.
SSk
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I bought it from Bill Claussen who said it came from the Herder Factory display and that it dates to 1880's. He bought much or all ? of the display.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”