Matchng Pairs

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
PCwizard

Re: Matchng Pairs

Post by PCwizard »

QTCut5 wrote:Some people may think that owning three (or more) identical models of a single pattern is a sign of OCD...Well, they may be right...But I still can't help wondering if I'll ever have enough. ::shrug::

P6290001_1.JPGP6290004_1.JPG

~Q~
QT
Thats a nice looking set of Lone Wolf Loveless's
Now I know why I can't find one to add to my collection. You have them all. :mrgreen: ::drool:: ::oh_my::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Rough Rider Trapper and Mini-Trapper. Thanks to Scott for the full size edition.
Attachments
Trapper & Mini-Trapper Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

QTCut5 wrote:Some people may think that owning three (or more) identical models of a single pattern is a sign of OCD...Well, they may be right...But I still can't help wondering if I'll ever have enough. ::shrug::

P6290001_1.JPGP6290004_1.JPG

~Q~
The Schrade NRA Bicentennial Bowie is the only Schrade Bowie, that I am aware of, that has etching on both sides. When I had a second one re-handled in antique German stag, a few people of obviously poor character, the results of coming from a very shallow gene pool, suggested that I was being anal. I look at it as simply being thorough. After all, how else is a serious collector supposed to display both sides of such a beautifully etched knife?
NRA BOWIES-r.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Some say why? Doug says, why not? ::tu::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

dweb1897 wrote:After all, how else is a serious collector supposed to display both sides of such a beautifully etched knife?NRA BOWIES-r.jpg
Makes perfect sense to me...although, I suppose you could set it on a 360 degree rotating stand surrounded by properly angled mirrors and indirect lighting...no one would think that was anal...right?! ::facepalm::

Let's face it, us knife collectors are a special breed; and if you ain't one, it's unlikely you'll ever really understand what it's like to be one.

~Q~
~Q~
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thanks for understanding guys....I do like to think a little out of the box...and of course it helps that there's no wife to hinder my ideas.

and before anyone says these pic's don't belong in this thread, there are more than a couple pairs in both pics

was a dresser mirror...now a dresser knife display
59 Knives customized by Herman Williams.JPG
was a coffee table...still is but if you set a coffee on it now and you'll get corrected
TABLE 6-28-2018r.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

dweb1897 wrote: of course it helps that there's no wife to hinder my ideas.
And that explains the lack of a governor on your knife purchases. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::poke::
I too do not have a governor on my expenditures. ::handshake:: How liberating.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

Unk wrote:Well, Jerry, I was waitin' on you to do it, but I guess I'll have to do it myself.
Best pair yet
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Unk wrote:Well, Jerry, I was waitin' on you to do it, but I guess I'll have to do it myself.
Sorry to disappoint you Mike. You did fine all by yourself. :mrgreen:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

dweb, Very creative use of materials resulting in beautiful displays. ::tu:: How do you secure the knives to the display?
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Pressure from the glass. Most of my displays are only 1" deep on the inside with 1" batting covered by a knit material...if the material doesn't stretch it looks like crap...lots of hinges and latches to keep the lid from flexing...the mirror display was so large I used 1/4" glass but I generally use 1/8" glass.
On that mirror display I used hidden cabinet hinges so the whole thing folds down on top of the dresser so the displays can be removed. The only power tools I use are a table saw, roto-zip, miter saw, palm sander and a cordless drill. I've turned the top half of a bookcase into a knife display, the space where the TV used to go in an old entertainment center into a display and built quite a few wall displays. I started out buying the wall displays but the shipping on them was so darn high that I started building my own. My place is pretty small so I had to get creative. Fortunately my neighbors own a glass business.
KAW

Post by KAW »

Very cool dweb!!! 8) ::tu::

You didn't mention how long it took you come up with the pattern the knives are displayed in... nor how many attempts before settling on the final patterns... I can see where that may have been harder than constructing the displays "cases". :roll: Definitely calls for an artist's touch... where constructing the cases only needs skill... :D
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thanks for the good words, they're much appreciated. KAW, I'd hate to know how much time I've sent arranging and rearranging my displays to get just the look I was after. Despite my previous remarks, I suppose I'd have to admit to a touch of OCD but then I'd suspect that most all collectors have a touch of it. That's probably what drives us to finish a display or to find that last knife to complete a set. The left side of the coffee table is more or less for overflow ...the knives left over from displays I've put together or ones I don't have enough of to make a display. They're easily accessible and easy to rearrange. Once they get in a display like the mirror, it's a lot more work to change them around. I built a display on and around my coat closet door and the 2 side displays serve the same purpose. After this pic I'll stop hijacking this thread and let it get back to what it was intended. By the way, if I was going to name that middle display of MOP's, I reckon it would be 'Angel Wings'
Enjoy
CLOSET 7-15-18r.jpg
richard

Post by richard »

great displays, love the angel wings.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

dweb, looks like your OCD was put to good use. That is all amazing. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Coupl'a matches I recently acquired. Is it just me or does it seem like once you get fixated on a particular knife, you start seeing it pop up everywhere you look (and you can't seem to stop buying them)? It's probably just me and my OCD (Obsessive Cutlery Disorder).
P7190002.JPG
P7190003.JPG
P7190001.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~, fortunately buying duplicates is not a problem I have to contend with yet. Welll, except maybe for Camillus 72's. And 1987 Winchester 2921 Coffin Jacks. And Camillus #14's. And GEC #48s along with the Case Mini-Trappers or Sway-Back Jacks which I don't count because the handles are different on them. ::sotb::

See? My mental health is perfectly intact. ::super_happy::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I have this OCD w/ Case Allegheny Mountain bone handled knives. Starting to pick up duplicates of some of these knives in the photo. When these were offered to CCC members, it was one of the absolute best looking knives I think Case every produced. The next closest is the burnt moss knives that were produced for CCC members. Anyone else liking these Allegheny Mountain Bone knives?
Attachments
4E42B5D6-1F82-45F3-AD66-E2FAC193F73E.jpeg
13B6F55B-3161-4FDF-8215-665011159A01.jpeg
148A5D17-982D-4754-91F6-14D53470AA57.jpeg
7318CB61-BCA1-4970-9E5E-45329337FA5C.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I happened to notice that Bruno (bdev) had a Queen Amber Carved Stag Bone #51 for sale recently. Although I already have one, I am a huge fan of ACSB, and I also have a well-documented "51 fixation" so, naturally, I bought it (Thank You Bruno!)
P7240013.JPG
Of course, just like with all the other duplicates I've purchased, once again, my wife (Ann) & I went through the same old routine--which goes something like this:

Ann: Why do you need another knife that's exactly like one you already own?

Q: It's not exactly like the one I already own.

A: OK, why do you need another knife that's almost exactly like one you already own?

Q: I was thinking that I would keep the nicer of the two and sell the other one.

A: Uh-huh, that's what you always say but then you end up keeping both or all of them (as the case may be)...Like what happened with these three:
P7240017.JPG
P7240019.JPG
Q: Well, there's subtle differences in the color of the Rogers Bone that makes each one of them unique.
A: Uh-huh...and what about these two Case 1st Issue Honey Bone 07W Mini Trappers?
P7240020.JPG
Q: Now you're just being silly, sweetheart...didn't you notice that one has a serrated wharncliffe and the other has a straight edge wharncliffe? ::doh::
P7240021.JPG
Q: Oh, and by the way...the two Queen ACSB 51s also have different master blade profiles...so, they're not "exactly" the same either! ::sotb::
P7240012.JPG
(The remainder of the conversation is not appropriate to print here, but you can probably guess how it went.)
A: ::disgust::

~Q~
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That is so funny. And strangely that conversation sounds so familiar. Why don’t women understand us? Don’t they love us? She knew I was like that when she married me. Oh forget it!
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

It is interesting to read how others try to explain the need for for multiple similar knives. Many times my way of rationalizing multiple comparable knives is that one is for the collection and one is for the pocket. In the Tuna Valley patterns I like, I try to get a black buffalo horn example to carry and a fancier one such as Mammoth to collect. These pictures are a Tuna Valley Easy Open tear drop. The buffalo horn example is noticeably thinner and more pocket friend (IMO). Mechanically they are both very sound with firm half stops and snap to open and snap to close. Like Canal Street has found a way to continue I hope Tuna Valley also can find a way to continue.
Attachments
Tuna Valley Easy Open Tear Drop Compare #1.jpg
Tuna Valley Easy Open Tear Drop Compare #3.jpg
Tuna Valley Easy Open Tear Drop Compare #5.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Both of those E/Os are very appealing. The difference in width is striking.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I didn’t realize that Tuna Valley made such beautiful knives. Now those are on my list of knives I am hunting.
Nice, nice, nice.
Mark
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Great set of Tuna's. The mammoth they used during that run of teardrops was some of the best I've seen, with a lot of color variation in it.
Carl B.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Thank you gents for the gracious comments.
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:I didn’t realize that Tuna Valley made such beautiful knives. Now those are on my list of knives I am hunting.
Mark
Mark, you need to ogle this thread on AAPK to see well-photographed beautiful Tuna Valley examples.
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=46857&p=660690#p660690

Return to “General Knife Discussion”