It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
americanedgetech

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by americanedgetech »

Now THAT'S a Knife!
I like them big, and fat. Just like that!

My hands are like baseball mits from decades of working with fiberglass, and every bad chemical it takes to build a boat so I really need a fat knife with a rough texture to even know I am holding it.
That one floats the boat for sure! Nice score! ::nod::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Missed one of these here on AAPK a number of years ago, was glad to see this old Imperial US ARMY Stockman from the Bicentennial era show up in the AAPK Stores this morning. It should be in my hands by late in the week or early next week. OH
Attachments
1510623855_279_1.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
americanedgetech

I couldn't stop myself... I bought a John Salm abalone "fob" knife or pen knife I guess.
circa 1915 ish.
He was a California knife maker for about 10 years, and most of his knives were abalone handled.
I am hoping it looks nicer in hand than the listing pictures. They usually do.
Attachments
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks to the Colonel for a heads up, I picked up the Marine Corps version. Imperial Hammer Brand with the faux forged blades. Unfortunately PayPal didn't work for me so I had to drop a check in yesterday's mail and am now impatiently waiting. ::pace::

Hey, all you squids. The Navy edition is still waiting for a new home. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... blades-nos
Attachments
1975 Imperial Hammer Brand USMC 200 year Anniversary Limited Edition.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
americanedgetech

That is a seriously cool looking knife. Definitely a front, and center piece.
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Ken. I'm reasonably certain it's a shell handle but even those can look good if done well and I like the faux hammered look of the blades.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gino

Post by gino »

Nice looking knives fellas
I am waiting on this one
Attachments
F1411D1C-FB0A-4D42-A4B2-081EBC85205F.png
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

jerryd6818 wrote:Thanks Ken. I'm reasonably certain it's a shell handle but even those can look good if done well and I like the faux hammered look of the blades.
Let us know when you get it; I don't think they have shell handles. ?
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I have another Stockman from the series, the 1776-1976 Bicentennial version; it has shell handles, but they are nicest shells I’ve run across on an Imperial. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As the Colonel says, they came in a commemorative boxed set of three; Army, Navy and Marine Corps. The Colonel got the Army edition, I got the Marine Corps edition and the last I saw, the Navy edition was still available.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l16d00.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
americanedgetech

Another cheepie... but I've seen these sold for 50 bucks or so.
Simmons 1980 ish Ol' Ern lockback. (Japan)
As new/never used or carried. Great dark wood handles. ::nod:: I like it!
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
Ken Mc.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

americanedgetech wrote:Saber 620. I "think" this is a Thin Trapper. Carbon blade, and no shield so I believe it is a German made version from the 70's?
If my eyes aren't failing me (and with recent events it is entirely possible they are), I could swear I'm seeing "Pakistan" underneath the Sabre marque. I have a Japan-made Sabre banana trapper (2-blade) that has some clear differences in frame and blade, and I usually assume the German Sabres are even earlier, so I don't know what it tells us about your knife. Are the handles Delrin?
jerryd6818 wrote:Thanks Ken. I'm reasonably certain it's a shell handle but even those can look good if done well and I like the faux hammered look of the blades.
IIRC those knives have glued synthetic handles and not the usual shell handle construction. I can't venture a guess as to the bolsters being hollow or solid as I've never held any of the knives but I've seen a similarly-sized contemporary Imperial-built stockman that was almost surely solid-bolstered. I wonder if OH has his eye on that Navy knife. ::smirk::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
americanedgetech wrote:Saber 620. I "think" this is a Thin Trapper. Carbon blade, and no shield so I believe it is a German made version from the 70's?

If my eyes aren't failing me (and with recent events it is entirely possible they are), I could swear I'm seeing "Pakistan" underneath the Sabre marque. I have a Japan-made Sabre banana trapper (2-blade) that has some clear differences in frame and blade, and I usually assume the German Sabres are even earlier, so I don't know what it tells us about your knife. Are the handles Delrin?
s-l1600%20(15)-crop.jpg
Tsar Bomba wrote:

IIRC those knives have glued synthetic handles and not the usual shell handle construction. I can't venture a guess as to the bolsters being hollow or solid as I've never held any of the knives but I've seen a similarly-sized contemporary Imperial-built stockman that was almost surely solid-bolstered. I wonder if OH has his eye on that Navy knife. ::smirk::

Tracking says it's here in town. Maybe I'll be able to let you know what it is later today. Maybe.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

I'm waiting on a Moose.
Attachments
811217-Antique-Amber-Jigged-Bone-324x195.jpg
811217-Antique-Amber-Jigged-Bone-324x195.jpg (21.47 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
David
americanedgetech

Two more for the rebuild pile.
A couple of Queen knives that I know less than nothing about but I like the patterns, and the price. ::tu::

These are (IMHO) great candidates for rebuilds, and future re-sale.
Just to put this on the table, I have a strategy that I think will be effective for re-selling rebuilt knives, and that is to document each step from as found to finished in photographs, and advertising the knives in that way.

There is no fraud or shady business going on, and buyers will realize that they are paying for the work more than the knife.
Time will tell... ::nod::
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

Still more, in the mail
The kitchen knife thread got me started so the first two new ones are a couple of Ontario Knife pieces.
One is an old Hickory (8"blade), and the second is a True Edge (10"blade).
Both are newer but nice users when they are cleaned up. Cheaper than dirt... 3 bucks, and change. ::tu::
Attachments
s-l1600 (5).jpg
Ken Mc.

John Carter

Post by John Carter »

americanedgetech wrote:Still more, in the mail
The kitchen knife thread got me started so the first two new ones are a couple of Ontario Knife pieces.
Both are newer but nice users when they are cleaned up. Cheaper than dirt... 3 bucks, and change. ::tu::
Awesome. I have a few very old cutlery pieces as well. Maybe trade Knives but not 100% sure.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

There's just something about those old kitchen knives Ken! You must have way more than you need. Don't know why that is. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
americanedgetech

gsmith7158 wrote:
There's just something about those old kitchen knives Ken! You must have way more than you need. Don't know why that is. ::shrug::
Not yet sir but I'm working at it! :lol:

JC, I just started collecting fixed blades because I know that once I begin, there will be none left for everyone else! ::nod::
I have been reading a little on those trade knives, and I think that is the era that interests me the most (mid thru late 1700's)

Those knives, and the men that carried them built nations. There is no denying the history in any trade knife. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Got a old timer rat coming, looks good in the bay photos we'll see. ::pray::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

americanedgetech wrote: I have been reading a little on those trade knives, and I think that is the era that interests me the most (mid thru late 1700's) Those knives, and the men that carried them built nations. There is no denying the history in any trade knife. ::tu::
Better be careful on those; if you are after authentic pre-American Civil War trade knives, which look about like modern butcher knives, you could be in the 99% who get burned. Just sayin....
americanedgetech

I appreciate that Cal.
Once you get past early 19th century it is almost impossible to date a knife visually. At least for me it is.
The subtle differences in eras seem to blend into non existence.

For those early knives I do not think FleaBay is going to be my best buddy as it is in the later knives that I am buying now.
Thru this forum I have been developing a network of resources and pathways to better information that I didn't have or even know where to begin looking for just a few months ago.

I fully expect to get "burned" here or there in collecting but the advantage I have is acceptance. I buy hoping for the best, and I have already decided that I have made a fair purchase before I buy.
Will I lay out 10k for a trade knife that might have been owned by some random trapper that just happened to give it to Meriwether Lewis just before he died? No. I'm not biting...
Estate sales, yard sales, antique shops, junk shops... maybe 50 bucks for a box of knives, and I might get lucky.

I'm just saying that I am keeping my eyes open for them more so than seeking them. I have a friend in Toronto that is doing the same for me. Just keeping an eye open for something unusual.

Thanks for the reality check Cal. I guess you see how eager I can get! ::ds::
Ken Mc.

gino

Post by gino »

I pulled the trigger on this one last night can’t wait for her
Maher and Gross Kansas cane cutter (by GEC)
I bought this because I love the pattern, blade choices, bone and size she’s 4 1/8” closed and also something important to me half stops
Attachments
B27E729D-278F-4400-A3A3-6DAA68E94E60.png
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have one of these M&G "Cane Cutter" knives. Well built strong knife with everything about it easy to like.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Beautiful knife, gino! GEC really knocked it out of the park with that old timey looking bone.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”