It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Tsar Bomba

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by Tsar Bomba »

gsmith7158 wrote:::smirk::
Steve Warden wrote:
americanedgetech wrote:One more...

CASE XX SR6347 1/2 SR Trapper.
I'm diggin' the smooth red bone case knives. There are still enough of them around to keep them affordable. ::tu::
Pretty, but educate me.
I thought the 47 is a stockman pattern. The three blades lead me to that assumption, also.
I thought the trapper pattern to be a two bladed jack.

::shrug::
I'm thinking the SR stood for Satin Rose. Kind of a kissing cousin to appaloosa bone. Most definitely a stockman and not a trapper.
Smooth rose (bone). A few of them have been showing up lately (I think AmericanEdgeTech stumbled across a nice one the other week). Late late 1970s-early 1980s. I should get a group shot of mine when I have a moment. They're nice and you'll probably never find two with the same dye pattern. :lol:

And that is indeed a stockman, not a trapper.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Thanks T. for adding to the knowledge base. ::tu::

There is soooo much I do not know about Case knives BUT I was told by a fella that makes his living on swapping, selling, trading knives that CASE IS the number one brand to deal in.
Personally I do not care for 90% of Case knives (seller be-ware) It is a pattern thing just like the fellas that do not like modern knives. Anyone can make a knife in any pattern.
Case has never done "it" for me. BUT these red bone handles, and the few Case Stags that I have seen are "A" number-Uno in my book.

Maybe it is due to market saturation, and the era that I grew up in (60-80's) but I never thought that a Case knife could command a royal fee.
My red,(SR) and stag collecting has just begun! Those handles do "IT" for me.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
americanedgetech

Forgot... sorry for double posting.
A few more that I picked up, and I need to know about this Case. Is this a DR. knife?

The other is a second RR knife that I bought last night. Same bone but a two blade trapper...
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

Quick Steel wrote:I'm guessing Narra wood for that handle, but don't place any bets on that.
Triple post... my bad!
If you want, I can send you this knife. Evaluate it, and decide if it is something you may want or not, and I will pay shipping both ways. Like a pre paid return box...
If you like it, I like folders. We can trade! PM me... I just buy what looks nice, and is fair on price. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

americanedgetech wrote:Is this a DR. knife?
Yes. Usually two blades with the secondary a spatula, sometimes the secondary is a pen blade. Usually the cap end has bolsters, square across the end but sometimes it's a bare end like yours. Usually 3-5/8" closed but sometimes shorter. Not a typical Doctor's knife but still a Doctor's knife.

Here are some variations. The first is most common.
Attachments
AG Russell Stag - 1998 Labeled.jpg
Bulldog Peacock Handle (PawnstarWv).jpg
Fight 'N Rooster Serialized.jpg
Parker Bone Little Pill Buster.jpg
Queen Brass Handles.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
americanedgetech

Thanks Jerry,
Now I have to ask... Is a DR's knife like a Fisherman's knife or a Cattlemans knife, where the pattern name is just a name or did Dr's actually buy them for use.
The idea of this scares me. :shock:

Edit:
Those are some BEAUTIFUL examples!!! I'm GREEN!!!
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

americanedgetech wrote:Thanks Jerry,
Now I have to ask... Is a DR's knife like a Fisherman's knife or a Cattlemans knife, where the pattern name is just a name or did Dr's actually buy them for use.
What is it about that that scares you?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Ken,
The book says the square end of the doctors knife was used to crush pills, the long slim blade could reach into a medicine vial. I guess yours is a 6185.
That's a fine lookin' Case knife, in my book! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
americanedgetech

jerryd6818 wrote:
americanedgetech wrote:Thanks Jerry,
What is it about that that scares you?
Leeches, Bleeding, cutting, ect... My Grandmother spent 20 years in Grasslands, NY.. Doctors do not mean much to me.

I get the old days where an ingrown toe nail meant death to a traveler. I get it BUT I/WE live in a different time.
IF a Dr. used a knife to do Dr's work... I don't want it. Too freaky for me. Did Dr's use them or is it just a pattern?

This is another knife that I think slipped under the radar, and I'll be happy to trade it for anything.
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

treefarmer wrote:Ken,
The book says the square end of the doctors knife was used to crush pills, the long slim blade could reach into a medicine vial. I guess yours is a 6185.
That's a fine lookin' Case knife, in my book! ::tu::
Treefarmer
That is some crazy stuff TF,
I can't figure why a Dr, would need a spatula?

The pill smashing end (I'll lick them all) makes sense.
I am thinking that doctors did not buy them any more than Congressmen bought Congressman knives. I just dislike titles, and I am trying to understand why patterns are named what they are.

Just 'cause?

Ohhh. Spatula,,, Sliding pills into a jar. Got it!
Pharmacists knife... no one knew how to spell it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I get it ::tu::
Ken Mc.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

americanedgetech wrote:A few more that I picked up, and I need to know about this Case. Is this a DR. knife?

The other is a second RR knife that I bought last night. Same bone but a two blade trapper...
As Jerry pointed out, that's probably a USA-era 6185, though I believe most of those were bone and I think the pictured one might be brown Delrin (more common in the 1970s dot-era). The "jigging" looks too uniform in profile, like a few of the other synthetic "jigged" handles I have from Case, but the photo isn't clear enough to be positive either way. Regardless, that's a nice old knife you don't see much and I think you might find that doc knives have a way of getting under your skin. While I don't have anything to match Jerry's AGRs or his other beauties, I have developed a soft spot for the pattern. Doctors of years past actually used them as pillbusters, pill-cutters, and spatulas for pill bottles/dispensing (some even have a second or third spatula blade).

That RR is a nice one. I'm a fan of their smooth tobacco bone and the knives are cheap and well-made enough to warrant a niche in my accumulation. I have a dogbone jack in the same bone that gets EDC consideration.
americanedgetech

Busy days...
This stag Praddel

Ohh this Paki damascus...

Edit:
I HAVE to say that I love little fixed blades. To me they are the revolvers of the knife world. Always there, and always reliable. ::tu::

Nuther... Who knows whom this maker is?
John Thomson?
I'm thinking he is a modern "Forged in Fire " guy. Like always... just a guess...
Attachments
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg
s-l1600 (10).jpg
s-l1600 (11).jpg
s-l1600 (15).jpg
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

Tsar Bomba wrote:
americanedgetech wrote:A few more that I picked up, and I need to know about this Case. Is this a DR. knife?

As Jerry pointed out, that's probably a USA-era 6185, though I believe most of those were bone and I think the pictured one might be brown Delrin (more common in the 1970s dot-era). The "jigging" looks too uniform in profile, like a few of the other synthetic "jigged" handles I have from Case, but the photo isn't clear enough to be positive either way. Regardless, that's a nice old knife you don't see much and I think you might find that doc knives have a way of getting under your skin. While I don't have anything to match Jerry's AGRs or his other beauties, I have developed a soft spot for the pattern. Doctors of years past actually used them as pillbusters, pill-cutters, and spatulas for pill bottles/dispensing (some even have a second or third spatula blade).

That RR is a nice one. I'm a fan of their smooth tobacco bone and the knives are cheap and well-made enough to warrant a niche in my accumulation. I have a dogbone jack in the same bone that gets EDC consideration.
This one? With the lanyard, and whistle?
I'm a BIG fan of their Tobacco bone. 12 bucks, and NOT Buck knives. 12 dollars!

Thanks for filling in on the Case because I figured it was a forgotten step kid. I'll post a picture of the tang when I get it (after I lick the smasher, and recover)

There are too many knives to learn... ::shrug::

Lovin' it all!!!
Attachments
51+Q566LGpL._SY355_.jpg
51+Q566LGpL._SY355_.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
Ken Mc.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

That's the same pattern in RR's sawcut brown bone. The smooth tobacco bone DBJ has the same acorn shield as the other knives in the series plus the same etch as the pictured knife. It's really an excellent size and complements a lot of my usual EDCs well. I really wish RR would release a Barlow in smooth tobacco bone.
americanedgetech

That would be nice...
They make soooo many patterns/combos that I wouldn't be surprised if they took "requests". ::tu::
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

Still hard at it.
Digging in the knife mines.

I bought a Frontier "Powder Horn" (made by Imperial I believe)
a Camillus "Young Buck" limited production, and a NM Winchester trapper number 1 of 1,000.
Every one of them I paid less than 1/2 of what I feel they should have gone for so it was a good day.

Forgot... " I also bought the Original Trapper" that Kooteney Joe was selling in another thread.
So I'm done buying for the week, and it's time to begin cataloging what I have to date.
Attachments
s-l1600 (16).jpg
s-l1600 (17).jpg
s-l1600 (18).jpg
s-l1600 (19).jpg
s-l1600 (20).jpg
s-l1600 (21).jpg
s-l1600 (22).jpg
s-l1600 (23).jpg
s-l1600 (24).jpg
029.JPG
029.JPG (17.41 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
Ken Mc.

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Always thought the Imperial Frontiers were "sleeper" knives, more deserving as good quality pocketknives than they get credit for - the ones I have seen and the ones I have owned have been excellent working knives. Never seen the Camillus Young Buck etch - pretty cool. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
americanedgetech

Yeah, I thought the whole group had something interesting about each piece. They are each unique in some way...
I don't know if you noticed the deer shield on the Camillus... near the but end bolster.
Attachments
s-l1600 (19).jpg
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Great Camillus #29. I too have never seen the "Young Buck" etch nor the little buck enlay/shield. BTW, in case you didn't know, Camillus called those Delrin handles "Indian Stag". Pretty darned cool. I have a soft spot for the 29 pattern and would collect them but there are so few variations, once you got them all the rest would just be hoarding. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
John Carter

Post by John Carter »

These are in the mail...

Paid 59.99 for the Russel Commemorative and 50.00 for the Case.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-11-05-08-38-45_kindlephoto-7280698.png
Screenshot_2017-11-05-08-38-52_kindlephoto-7368351.png
Screenshot_2017-11-05-08-38-26_kindlephoto-7311384.png
Screenshot_2017-11-05-08-38-10_kindlephoto-7186997.png
Screenshot_2017-11-05-08-38-05_kindlephoto-7224506.png
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

You did well John. Those are two winners for sure. Your cost is imo is very reasonable. ::tu:: ::tu::
John Carter

Post by John Carter »

Thanks Quick! I love the Barlows. Although I've read that Barlow knives were widely counterfeit ed, more so than others. Remington and a couple of other companies are vulnerable to this.
americanedgetech

jerryd6818 wrote:Great Camillus #29. I too have never seen the "Young Buck" etch nor the little buck enlay/shield. BTW, in case you didn't know, Camillus called those Delrin handles "Indian Stag". Pretty darned cool. I have a soft spot for the 29 pattern and would collect them but there are so few variations, once you got them all the rest would just be hoarding. :lol:
My hoarding has only just begun sir! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhh.... Native American stag. Jus sayin' ::tu::

John Carter, I love those Barlows!
I had read that Barlows were made with the extra long bolster to provide additional strength and torsional support for the main blade. That in turn made them a more used pattern as a work knife that led to more cloning, and counterfeiting than other knife patterns
It was never meant as a collectible value type copying but more of a market share grab type thing.
Ken Mc.

John Carter

Post by John Carter »

americanedgetech wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Great Camillus #29. I too have never seen the "Young Buck" etch nor the little buck enlay/shield. BTW, in case you didn't know, Camillus called those Delrin handles "Indian Stag". Pretty darned cool. I have a soft spot for the 29 pattern and would collect them but there are so few variations, once you got them all the rest would just be hoarding. :lol:
My hoarding has only just begun sir! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhh.... Native American stag. Jus sayin' ::tu::

John Carter, I love those Barlows!
I had read that Barlows were made with the extra long bolster to provide additional strength and torsional support for the main blade. That in turn made them a more used pattern as a work knife that led to more cloning, and counterfeiting than other knife patterns
It was never meant as a collectible value type copying but more of a market share grab type thing.
Interesting. So cloning may not have been due to high collectabillity, but to simply sell more for use. Wow. I wonder if there is a specific guide to counterfeits, particularly barlows?
americanedgetech

Yeah. It was more of a copy of the pattern than to make money in fakes.
But today may be different because Barlows go back to the 1690's so finding an old "copy" Barlow may be an easy blade swap to an older John Barlow from the early 1700's or an even older one from O. Barlow in the 1690's

Counterfeiting is a big deal in knife collecting. They show up everywhere, and that is one of the biggest advantages in joining a forum. Having thousands of experienced collectors to look at suspect knives is a great advantage.

Youtube is also a great place to find advice on counterfeits BUT you have to be careful whom you listen to there.
Ken Mc.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”