It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by jerryd6818 »

What a fine, fine 1st Gen. You start out that well, there's no place to go from there.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Don't know much about this one, but it's coming. Scotts photo.
Attachments
20170421_185202.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Edit: I don't know if it was the seller or the USPS that was constipated but that Mini-Trapper finally moved. It has been sitting in limbo for the past 5 days and this morning the Dulcolax finally kicked in. Delayed gratification is not my bag of beans. This kind of thing annoys me no end. If there are no more hitches in the git-along it should be here by Monday.
They lost your package in the facility for a couple days. I see this happen a LOT in the Miami-area processing facility here. Packages show up here and then just..."vanish". ::facepalm::

If that long-line from the other week represented dipping my toe into the deep end of the #72 pool, I think this one probably comprises a full-on cannonball.

s-l1600 (4).jpg
I probably overpaid for it but not by so much that it causes me any grief, and it's a real beauty. Still paid less than the seller was initially asking. ::shrug::
Tony I got him down to $115 on that one, did you do any better? Give us a full report on that front handle when you get it. I was a little wishy-washy on whether or not it was bone.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote:What a fine, fine 1st Gen. You start out that well, there's no place to go from there.
Oh I think I can find a couple directions to go from here. ::nod:: :mrgreen:

Couldn't let you fellas snap up all the 1st-gens before I had a chance to grab one. :lol:
gsmith7158 wrote:Tony I got him down to $115 on that one, did you do any better? Give us a full report on that front handle when you get it. I was a little wishy-washy on whether or not it was bone.
$100 shipped, and I had the same thought. Claims it's bone and I'll know it when I get hands on it. I've seen "gappy" bone knives before so I didn't make the assumption that it was shrinky-dink or dried-out composition instead, but I did take extra care to confirm it, and it should be immediately obvious when it arrives.

Besides, look at those blades. ::ds::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Couldn't let you fellas snap up all the 1st-gens before I had a chance to grab one. :lol:

$100 shipped, and I had the same thought. Claims it's bone and I'll know it when I get hands on it. I've seen "gappy" bone knives before so I didn't make the assumption that it was shrinky-dink or even dried-out Delrin instead, but I did take extra care to confirm it, and it should be immediately obvious when it arrives.

Besides, look at those blades. ::ds::
Good deal Tony ! The blades are fabulous. We want to see ta full portfolio in the 72 thread now. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I posted this one before as my second entry into my Red Etch Set and it arrived poorly packaged and apparently the postal worker who stepped on it tipped the scales at about 380.The seller graciously accepted my request for a refund so I sent it back and went hunting again. I found this one and she's on the way.
Attachments
031.jpg
033.jpg
036.jpg
040.JPG
040.JPG (17.51 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
041.JPG
041.JPG (16.96 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Tony I am a little envious of that fine 72. Nice score!
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well Tony and Jerry H. sent me over the edge with their new tribal locks so this one is on the way to my house.
Attachments
Case Abalone tribal lock.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KnifeSlinger#81

gsmith7158 wrote:Well Tony and Jerry H. sent me over the edge with their new tribal locks so this one is on the way to my house.
Dangit! You all are going to send me over the edge too.
-Paul T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Everyone's currently in Oak Creek WI so I'm guessing that tomorrow they will both have those magic words "Out For Delivery" in their tracking report. ::ds::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Thanks, Paul ::handshake:: I had it watched and it tempted me every time I checked my email. I finally put in a bid last night and I was as surprised as anyone when it was accepted. If everything is as-described, I'm going to be awfully pleased with this one I think.

Greg, that's an eyeful! Is that gin-u-wine abalone? An absolute stunner. ::tu::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:Thanks, Paul ::handshake:: I had it watched and it tempted me every time I checked my email. I finally put in a bid last night and I was as surprised as anyone when it was accepted. If everything is as-described, I'm going to be awfully pleased with this one I think.

Greg, that's an eyeful! Is that gin-u-wine abalone? An absolute stunner. ::tu::
It is Tony. I had checked them a couple of days ago and they were for August delivery, but when I checked back today they had just received them. ::ds::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

WOW Greg! Go big or go home. Always thought those handles were just gorgeous. ::tu::
steve99f
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

steve99f wrote:WOW Greg! Go big or go home. Always thought those handles were just gorgeous. ::tu::
Hey thanks Steve! That will be my first abalone handle but I have admired them from afar for a long time.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I've got one of these coming, should be here next week. Already have one but was able to get this at a favorable price. ::tu::
Attachments
bone stag mini trapper.JPG
steve99f
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Steve you and JerryD got a craving hung on you with those Bone Stag Mini-trappers. :D I can't say as I blame you though. They are really getting good with the process on that Bone Stag. Very nice! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Tsar, I was looking at that 72 since day one. I finally decided to message the seller (on Thursday) and ask about the blade snap, wobble and to express my/our concern with that front cover. Told the seller that I believed most of the watchers were guys I knew and that they had the same concerns too. Here's what the seller replied a day later:

"All of the blades snap open and closed with considerable force. I wouldn't consider it soft. The snap just isn't like you would expect from a new knife. Only the sheepsfoot has a tiny amount of side to side play. Its barely noticeable and too small to even measure.

I don't know if one of the scales has been replaced . They both are a good fit and I don't see any evidence that the pins were removed. They are indeed a different color though. Maybe because the shield is slightly raised it slowed down the wear on the scales. I have two more Camillus 72's that I intend to list today but they have black composition handles and are in much worse condition.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks for your interest and have a nice day."

I mentioned that I may make an offer based on his answers but that he probably wasn't going to like it ($75). In the end decided against making an offer. Based on Greg's $115 comment, I think maybe that may have helped nudge the seller just a little further. Glad you got it, buddy. ::tu:: Keep us posted on that 1st G. We're all looking forward to your hands on inspection and full report on the Camillus #72 thread. ::ds:: Thanks for sharing and congrats!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Felix I think just about all of us 72 hounds have been watching that one from day one. It's not comparable to the one you got from Harold but still it was a desirable knife. When he put the best offer on his listing I started working on him. I made him an offer of $65 and he came back with a counter offer of $115. Well I thought I would just see where I could go with this So I sent him a counter offer of $75. While I was waiting for a response Tony must have slipped in there and rung his bell at $100. Good on Tony. You see something you want, you go get it. I saw his other two 72's and they look pretty good one is $22.50 and the other is $35 I believe. He is also the one that has that Case Bros. MFG jack listed at $2250. I think I may be as addicted to this ebay thing as much as I am to Knives
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

gsmith7158 wrote:Steve you and JerryD got a craving hung on you with those Bone Stag Mini-trappers. :D I can't say as I blame you though. They are really getting good with the process on that Bone Stag. Very nice! ::tu::
I did see where Jerryd was getting one in. And another one with different handles. I have a copy of that one as well. I really like that 07 frame size but don't like the spey. The wharnecliffe is a great match if you can't have the pen.
steve99f
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

steve99f wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Steve you and JerryD got a craving hung on you with those Bone Stag Mini-trappers. :D I can't say as I blame you though. They are really getting good with the process on that Bone Stag. Very nice! ::tu::
I did see where Jerryd was getting one in. And another one with different handles. I have a copy of that one as well. I really like that 07 frame size but don't like the spey. The wharnecliffe is a great match if you can't have the pen.
I like that 07W in 6.5 bonestag. Then again, I like just about any pattern in 6.5 bonestag. :mrgreen:
31740061136_5ff0651e81_b.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

gsmith7158 wrote:Felix I think just about all of us 72 hounds have been watching that one from day one. It's not comparable to the one you got from Harold but still it was a desirable knife. When he put the best offer on his listing I started working on him. I made him an offer of $65 and he came back with a counter offer of $115. Well I thought I would just see where I could go with this So I sent him a counter offer of $75. While I was waiting for a response Tony must have slipped in there and rung his bell at $100. Good on Tony. You see something you want, you go get it. I saw his other two 72's and they look pretty good one is $22.50 and the other is $35 I believe. He is also the one that has that Case Bros. MFG jack listed at $2250. I think I may be as addicted to this ebay thing as much as I am to Knives
:lol: It's really funny and amazing how things and people work in rhythms. We three and maybe others decided pretty close to the same time to make a move when this 72 had been sitting there for a couple of months(?) until these last few days. This is nothing short of incredible. And there's no doubt that worlds are colliding with knives/AAPK & eBay too. It's fun yet a very time consuming chore at times. ::pace:: ::cr:: ::yawn::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sniped this one at the last second.
s-l500.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Well Tsar, you sure sniped a good one! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That's one beautiful Barlow Tsar. ::tu::
KnifeSlinger#81

Neat one Tony ::tu:: The 25 is a dandy little pattern.
-Paul T.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”