It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Dan In MI

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by Dan In MI »

Reverand wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 am I have been wanting one of these Barnett knives for a while...
Awesome knife! I guess the knife/pliers combination predates Leatherman by considerable.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Reverand wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 am I have been wanting one of these Barnett knives for a while, and finally got the winning bid on this rough specimen.
23738ECD-7A4C-4C5A-A4A9-6270168F7FC8.jpeg
Restoral looks like a challenging job, but one that I look forward to. I expect to make rear bolsters and then patch the bone, if I am able.
Nice catch. Those are far and between! Congrats. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

I just pulled the trigger on this GEC #86 Oilfield Jack. I was supposed to take a break from buying knives for a while, but this one called out to me in so many ways. ::woot:: This is my first venture beyond the world of Buck and Case.
Attachments
66BCA2A8-6AD5-4369-90A7-C7020AF8BE22.jpeg
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 pmThis is my first venture beyond the world of Buck and Case.
Ya' picked a good one to step out with . . . . ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
TPK

Post by TPK »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 pm I just pulled the trigger on this GEC #86 Oilfield Jack. I was supposed to take a break from buying knives for a while, but this one called out to me in so many ways. ::woot:: This is my first venture beyond the world of Buck and Case.
Nice find Jake! ::tu:: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Cool shield! ::nod:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 pm I just pulled the trigger on this GEC #86 Oilfield Jack. I was supposed to take a break from buying knives for a while, but this one called out to me in so many ways. ::woot:: This is my first venture beyond the world of Buck and Case.
Awesome looking Jack. Really like the shield, ::tu:: ::tu::

Smitty
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:45 am
Reverand wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 am I have been wanting one of these Barnett knives for a while...
Awesome knife! I guess the knife/pliers combination predates Leatherman by considerable.
The original patent is from the late 1880s, so close to a century between the two. And there was a German fishing tool in the 50s that featured pliers that folded up like the Leatherman (and with its blade and scaler inside) as well.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Reverand wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:25 am I have been wanting one of these Barnett knives for a while, and finally got the winning bid on this rough specimen.
23738ECD-7A4C-4C5A-A4A9-6270168F7FC8.jpeg
Restoral looks like a challenging job, but one that I look forward to. I expect to make rear bolsters and then patch the bone, if I am able.
Nice score! These are hard to find in any condition. Mine has the blade broken off, but is otherwise halfway decent. Mine cost me $20; and the guy who I bought it from (and might I add, I later realized outbid me on this same knife) paid more than double (I remember the auction).
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

royal0014 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:33 pm Ya' picked a good one to step out with . . . . ::tu::
Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:18 pm
TPK wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:40 pm Nice find Jake! ::tu:: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Cool shield! ::nod:: :D
Awesome looking Jack. Really like the shield, ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks fellas! I’m really excited about it ::ds::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Just picked up this small Schrade Uncle Henry LB-1 on eBay. I'm pretty stoked about it too! ::groove::
Didn't get a bargain on this one I guess. Costing me about $ 42 shipped but I don't know if or when I'll find another one of them over here so I did what I had to do to get it. Feel a little bit stupid now :mrgreen: for paying so much for it but once I get it and put a lanyard on it I'll be able to forget about the price tag. :)

Ya have to pinch open these & it has a nice looking swedge on it. I found out that these were made between 82 & 96. This one is from my graduation year of 1990. ::nod:: I know that because it's a belated graduation gift to & from me. ::super_happy:: I didn't have the money to go to the Prom back then so I can at least buy myself an LB-1 thirty some years later. Heck, I'm worth it! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake:: :D
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-06-13T194052.320.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-13T194040.101.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-13T194018.465.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-13T194004.813.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-13T193945.521.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-13T193930.670.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-13T193916.571.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-13T193858.674.jpg

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Conrats, looks like a nice one from old Catquix. Have some from that seller myself. If I was a betting man I would bet you're about to be happy with that purchase, very nice, excellent looker, my favorite knife company. Good one and hope you love it.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats Tom. Cool knife. Enjoy ::nod::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:19 pm Just picked up this small Schrade Uncle Henry LB-1 on eBay.
Very cool!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:48 pm Conrats, looks like a nice one from old Catquix. Have some from that seller myself. If I was a betting man I would bet you're about to be happy with that purchase, very nice, excellent looker, my favorite knife company. Good one and hope you love it.
Catquix it was! I can’t remember ever checking usps tracking as many times on any shipment as I have on this one. It showed up yesterday! You ever see 41 year old guy in overalls tear open a cardboard box like a kid on Christmas morning?? ::ds::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:20 am
TPK wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:19 pm Just picked up this small Schrade Uncle Henry LB-1 on eBay.
Very cool!
doglegg wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:01 pm Congrats Tom. Cool knife. Enjoy ::nod::
Thanks Floyd & Dan! ::handshake:: :D

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:23 am
Ivoryman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:48 pm Conrats, looks like a nice one from old Catquix. Have some from that seller myself. If I was a betting man I would bet you're about to be happy with that purchase, very nice, excellent looker, my favorite knife company. Good one and hope you love it.
Catquix it was! I can’t remember ever checking usps tracking as many times on any shipment as I have on this one. It showed up yesterday! You ever see 41 year old guy in overalls tear open a cardboard box like a kid on Christmas morning?? ::ds::

You paint a great picture, reading it almost felt like being there. Congrats, love that sucker rod wood and the wrench shield and everything. 86 is an underrated pattern. Nice score.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I'm gonna be playin' the Ponies soon...
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:17 am I'm gonna be playin' the Ponies soon...
Looks great Dan. ::tu:: Watch out now, those little ponies are super addictive. ::super_happy::

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:10 am Looks great Dan. ::tu:: Watch out now, those little ponies are super addictive. ::super_happy::
Thanks, Smitty! And you have provided ample proof of the ponies' addictive properties. :)
USN 2000-2006
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Next week some time. ::fc:: It's full size but I ordered it because of the Wharncliffe blade. ::facepalm::
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:21 pm It's full size but I ordered it because of the Wharncliffe blade. ::facepalm::
Who's a thunk? :lol: Nice one Jerry. ::tu::

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Smitty.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I wanted to replace a nearly 100-year-old Wharncliffe pattern from LF&C I couldn't quit carrying as I loved the blade selection, snap, and slimness. This was the only thing I could find in carbon steel that came close. It's a little bigger at 3.75" closed, which I find "just right" for a knife.

Kinda weird the ONLY company producing a not-GEC-priced Whittler in carbon steel is Rough Ryder. Case has only released their Wharncliffe Mini Copperhead and Seahorse Whittler in stainless steel. On another note, I'm still kicking myself for not getting a wood #19 Little Rattler when they were new. $75 wasn't too bad when we're talking about GECs.

I don't get the two pen blades over the fact most have coping plus pen; not duplicated blades.
rr1741_1.jpg
Got two others since SMKW had free shipping on all orders today.

Classic Carbon Denim Micarta Half Hawk (Loom Fixer). I decided to get it before it got discontinued and the cheap SMKW direct prices ceased; and at the least I'd be paying $20-25. Also at $15, MUCH cheaper than a vintage Case or Kabar example. Plus, I can use the RR like it was intended without babying it.
rr2186.jpg

And the Classic Carbon hawkbill. I like carbon steel in my hawkbill. Klein may make good hand tools, but their Utica-made pocketknife line is a little rough. Every new one I have purchased was stiff and dull. Lower-end carbon steels take rough farm use better than lower-end stainless steels. I have close to a dozen different Utica-made knives. Only two; one a hawkbill made in the '70s (and it's not got a lock on the blade, and is much slimmer than the current pattern) and a high-end line bone-handle double lockback made for Moore Maker are the ones I'd call grat quality. I'm moving to this for cable/wire/fine pruning work; and a Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill for farm work. I do wish SMKW would put plain bolsters on these Classic Carbon knives, however.
rr1734_1.jpg

And all for $42.63, sales tax inclusive. It's why basically RR is the only Chinese knife I'll buy. Decent quality for a working knife (actually quite good), and it won't break the bank.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:45 am I wanted to replace a nearly 100-year-old Wharncliffe pattern from LF&C I couldn't quit carrying as I loved the blade selection, snap, and slimness. This was the only thing I could find in carbon steel that came close. It's a little bigger at 3.75" closed, which I find "just right" for a knife.

Kinda weird the ONLY company producing a not-GEC-priced Whittler in carbon steel is Rough Ryder. Case has only released their Wharncliffe Mini Copperhead and Seahorse Whittler in stainless steel. On another note, I'm still kicking myself for not getting a wood #19 Little Rattler when they were new. $75 wasn't too bad when we're talking about GECs.

I don't get the two pen blades over the fact most have coping plus pen; not duplicated blades.

rr1741_1.jpg

Got two others since SMKW had free shipping on all orders today.

Classic Carbon Denim Micarta Half Hawk (Loom Fixer). I decided to get it before it got discontinued and the cheap SMKW direct prices ceased; and at the least I'd be paying $20-25. Also at $15, MUCH cheaper than a vintage Case or Kabar example. Plus, I can use the RR like it was intended without babying it.

rr2186.jpg

And the Classic Carbon hawkbill. I like carbon steel in my hawkbill. Klein may make good hand tools, but their Utica-made pocketknife line is a little rough. Every new one I have purchased was stiff and dull. Lower-end carbon steels take rough farm use better than lower-end stainless steels. I have close to a dozen different Utica-made knives. Only two; one a hawkbill made in the '70s (and it's not got a lock on the blade, and is much slimmer than the current pattern) and a high-end line bone-handle double lockback made for Moore Maker are the ones I'd call grat quality. I'm moving to this for cable/wire/fine pruning work; and a Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill for farm work. I do wish SMKW would put plain bolsters on these Classic Carbon knives, however.

rr1734_1.jpg

And all for $42.63, sales tax inclusive. It's why basically RR is the only Chinese knife I'll buy. Decent quality for a working knife (actually quite good), and it won't break the bank.
Cody, I could be wrong but Bear and Son
use mostly carbon steel and I’m pretty sure that they make a whittler pattern. GEC makes excellent knives but I don’t buy them anymore. Outrageously priced. Bear may run you $35 and they are well made.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:53 pm Cody, I could be wrong but Bear and Son
use mostly carbon steel and I’m pretty sure that they make a whittler pattern. GEC makes excellent knives but I don’t buy them anymore. Outrageously priced. Bear may run you $35 and they are well made.
I did a little research into that. Bear and Son did indeed make a whittler with carbon steel blades: spear master and clip and coping secondaries. It seems to have been discontinued for a little while.

My issue with GEC lies not within their pricing structure, but their distribution methods...which is better discussed elsewhere.
USN 2000-2006

Return to “General Knife Discussion”