It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Dan In MI

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:23 am Cost me an "Apple & an Egg". ::nod:: (German saying meaning "Cheap")
Ein Apfel und ein Ei? I think I translated that right.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:04 am
TPK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:23 am Cost me an "Apple & an Egg". ::nod:: (German saying meaning "Cheap")
Ein Apfel und ein Ei? I think I translated that right.
::nod:: ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have one coming from California. The seller did not ship it for a week. Now it has been another week and it is somewhere in the state of Maine (I live in Wyoming :shock: ). I worked for the post office for 31 years and I have been receiving knives for some 20 years in the mail and it was never like this until Trump's 'boy' took charge of the post office. He publicly admitted that he was taking the post office down. seems that he also is a major stockholder in UPS. I have heard this but you need to check it out yourself. Meanwhile, I don't even remember what the knife looked like. Hope it was a good one.
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 pm Got bored this afternoon and got on eBay (shame on me) and ended up buying these 3 knives after going back and forth on the prices.
That’s a nice clean Remington and a very handsome Barlow.

eBay has a lot wrong with it, but it’s easy to get sucked in.

I got stupid on the bay this weekend myself.

First is the GEC 82. I’m sure I paid entirely too much, but I’ve been badly wanting one and now I can stop frantically sniffing around like a drunken hound dog!

The Kutmaster stockman with Caterpillar logo had no bids and the auction was ending. I felt sorry for it, and CAT is a major part of my work day, so what the heck??

The little all metal Imperial was literally 4 bucks and kind of cute in its own odd way.

Finally the Parker Frost gunboat. Same story as the Kutmaster. Auction ending, no bids, and I’ve never had a canoe pattern or a Sheffield made knife, so I thought I’d dive in!

And there went my play money for the month! ::facepalm::
Attachments
0691E946-D7CB-44B5-87B5-C290BC3DB098.jpeg
2ABFF21A-CB85-418E-A58E-3043F802D8D1.jpeg
DAFDFFA3-D41C-478B-92C7-8EF5DFAC4979.png
06E57435-902F-4F40-8EEE-6212B6738186.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:08 am
dlr110 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 pm Got bored this afternoon and got on eBay (shame on me) and ended up buying these 3 knives after going back and forth on the prices.
That’s a nice clean Remington and a very handsome Barlow.

eBay has a lot wrong with it, but it’s easy to get sucked in.

I got stupid on the bay this weekend myself.

First is the GEC 82. I’m sure I paid entirely too much, but I’ve been badly wanting one and now I can stop frantically sniffing around like a drunken hound dog!

Gorgeous bone, great three blades to work with, beautiful specimen. Congrats and kudos for the score.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

The Kutmaster stockman with Caterpillar logo had no bids and the auction was ending. I felt sorry for it, and CAT is a major part of my work day, so what the heck??

The little all metal Imperial was literally 4 bucks and kind of cute in its own odd way.

Finally the Parker Frost gunboat. Same story as the Kutmaster. Auction ending, no bids, and I’ve never had a canoe pattern or a Sheffield made knife, so I thought I’d dive in!

Very nice group Willie. ::tu:: Beautiful GEC. ::nod::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Well, some great knives there! ::tu:: I love the GEC 82 and Parker ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

[/quote]
Ivoryman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:11 am Gorgeous bone, great three blades to work with, beautiful specimen. Congrats and kudos for the score.
Thanks Iman, I’m dying to try it out!
Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:05 pm Very nice group Willie. ::tu:: Beautiful GEC. ::nod::
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:16 pm Well, some great knives there! ::tu:: I love the GEC 82 and Parker ::nod::
Papa and GSP, thanks for the kind words ::handshake:: I’m still exploring and figuring out what I like. So many flavors to try!
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:31 am So many flavors to try!
Very true! I've found a couple-few favorite patterns and four or five favorite makers. But sampling all the different flavors is part of the fun.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Tongueriver here made me a great deal on a Craftsman fixed blade I haven't seen before.

It appears to be a Craftsman version of the Schrade USA 153UH Golden Spike, and there's an etch. Looks like maybe "CUSTOM HUNTER?"

Will be used, but I'm gonna have to have a sheath. SMKW has one for $7 that fits (and will be used in the meantime), but I'm planning on having a different style made custom, either a pouch-style sheath or a replica of the original.
use001 (Large).jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That was a great score, Cody!
USN 2000-2006
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

$20 I felt was a really good deal. Golden Spikes seem to be a little expensive, and I can't find very many examples of Craftsman versions. That's why I'm not carrying it or using it much.

My sole big purchase for the August billing period. Yup, to me, $60 is a big amount.

Normally Spyderco sprint runs are based on $100 or more models that are made even more expensive by premium handle materials and/or blade steels that cost much more to procure and machine than the standard steel (G-10 and Maxamet is a big jump). The Jester has not been in regular production since 2006 (15 years!) and while it had a sprint run in 2012, it was G-10 (and $90 back then!). It was only $60 (which is 50% more than a base model Ladybug costs here locally), and CPM-20CV is a steel known for high edge retention (close to double that of a good 440C according to a Crucible spec sheet), wear resistance, and corrosion resistance; with the toughness of 440C. I liked the glow-in-the-dark handles as well. I've used the Ladybug (the Ladybug 3 is based on the Jester's handle) a lot, but disliked the blade shape. I have the Ladybug in hawkbill form as well (serrated), and it's good for farm work, but bad at EDC. The semi-Sheepsfoot of the Jester is MUCH better.

I've wanted a Joker for 2-3 years now, but their secondary market prices were a lot more than $60.

Spyderco Jester Glow in the Dark CPM-20CV; The Knife Joker Exclusive (sprint run).

jestergitd3.png
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I was working with a buddy cutting up a partially rotted fallen tree we'd removed from the upper field (and the tree did take out a ton of fencing; which we replaced), determining which parts were salvageable as lumber, which parts were firewood, and which parts were worthless. He used a utility knife to do the marking and I said to myself "You know, I'd love to have a timber scribe/rase for this". That was justification. I've been wanting one for years.

Camillus short-line, cocobolo handle. Cost $35.
s-l1600CTS.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 pm Camillus short-line, cocobolo handle. Cost $35.
I'd say you did pretty well on that one.
USN 2000-2006
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:56 pm I was working with a buddy cutting up a partially rotted fallen tree we'd removed from the upper field (and the tree did take out a ton of fencing; which we replaced), determining which parts were salvageable as lumber, which parts were firewood, and which parts were worthless. He used a utility knife to do the marking and I said to myself "You know, I'd love to have a timber scribe/rase for this". That was justification. I've been wanting one for years.

Camillus short-line, cocobolo handle. Cost $35.

s-l1600CTS.jpg
Very knice Cody!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Cool finds everyone! ::tu::

My latest additional is this 74mm Victorinox Elinox advertising pen knife. Did some quick research to find that the advertising on it is for a Swiss sewing thread company. ( Zwicky & Co. AG est. in 1840 ) Their Logo is a cat holding sewing thread. ::tu:: If you look closely, on the red thread roll there is an umbrella. If there is any connection to the umbrella on the Elinox tang stamp? I don't know. ::shrug::

Thanks for looking! ::handshake::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062345.641.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062332.498.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062322.399.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062301.461.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062247.959.jpg
1263.jpg
45.jpg
61S0k6QcLEL._AC_SY879_.jpg
5387.jpg

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TPK wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am Cool finds everyone! ::tu::

My latest additional is this 74mm Victorinox Elinox advertising pen knife. Did some quick research to find that the advertising on it is for a Swiss sewing thread company. ( Zwicky & Co. AG est. in 1840 ) Their Logo is a cat holding sewing thread. ::tu:: If you look closely, on the red thread roll there is an umbrella. If there is any connection to the umbrella on the Elinox tang stamp? I don't know. ::shrug::

What a cool find, Tom! Very nice! Those ads are frame worthy!
TPK

Post by TPK »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:59 pm

What a cool find, Tom! Very nice! Those ads are frame worthy!
Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Yes, those ads are pretty cool! ::nod:: Might try to find one for the wall. ::hmm:: Would be an interesting knife related conversation piece. ::hmm::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am If you look closely, on the red thread roll there is an umbrella. If there is any connection to the umbrella on the Elinox tang stamp?
The umbrella on the tang stamp is actually a crossbow. Looks to be pre-1976, based on the tang stamp. Cool find!
USN 2000-2006
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:19 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am If you look closely, on the red thread roll there is an umbrella. If there is any connection to the umbrella on the Elinox tang stamp?
The umbrella on the tang stamp is actually a crossbow. Looks to be pre-1976, based on the tang stamp. Cool find!
::hmm:: Crossbow. ::hmm:: Ok. I thought it was an umbrella. ::shrug::

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Tom;
What is the writing on the other blade? It looks to have 4 lines?
I believe the "Elinox" logo ended in 1957.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TPK

Post by TPK »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:29 am

Tom;

Dan
Hey Dan! ::woot:: Haven't seen ya for a while. Great to see ya again Buddy! ::nod:: ::handshake:: Tell your Queen Bee I said Hello. Hope you are both doing well my friend. ::super_happy::

Not sure what the stamp reads but it's in the mail so we should find out soon. ::nod:: ::tu::

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TPK wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:16 pm
Old Folder wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:29 am

Tom;

Dan
Hey Dan! ::woot:: Haven't seen ya for a while. Great to see ya again Buddy! ::nod:: ::handshake:: Tell your Queen Bee I said Hello. Hope you are both doing well my friend. ::super_happy::

Not sure what the stamp reads but it's in the mail so we should find out soon. ::nod:: ::tu::
I guess I should have read "It's In The Mail" :oops:

Queen Bee says: Thank You Tom.

Queen Bee.jpg
Queen Bee.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TPK

Post by TPK »

::ds:: Picked up a Case 1970 10 Dot 6269 Small 2 Blade Congress Knife. Blades need some cleaning but it still should be a nice EDC once that's done. ::nod:: I'm always pretty happy whenever I find a used Case knife over here! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

::hmm:: Does the pitting indicate that it has Carbon Steel Blades? Or could SS also look like this? ::shrug::

Thanks for looking! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204216.799.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204203.811.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204151.740.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204133.618.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204120.936.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204109.786.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204048.853.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204038.151.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204024.800.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204011.813.jpg

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:41 am Does the pitting indicate that it has Carbon Steel Blades? Or could SS also look like this?
I suppose stainless could develop pitting, but it's less likely to. That sweet 6269 is more than likely CV.

I have some new Cases on the way myself, a 6220 and two 10318s (the latter being G-10, a material I'm really eager to test out). No pictures, as I didn't think to save them until after I made the purchase. They apparently went from "almost sold out" to "gone!"
USN 2000-2006

Return to “General Knife Discussion”