It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Stanwade

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by Stanwade »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:33 am
Stanwade wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 am
Papa Bones wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm This one is on the way. A VICTORINOX ALOX BANTAM HARVESTER, single blade 3.7" closed.

Bantam Harvester.jpg
Another nice one, Smitty👍..

I just ordered this little Boker auto.. looking forward to receiving it 😁
Appreciate it Ryan. I've never seen the Stubby Strike. A friend of mine has a Strike PS in Tan. It's very similar to my SOG. Slick action. I believe you'll enjoy it! ::tu::

I think I will, too..😁
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I'd missed out on this one because I couldn't get my hide out of bed in time. Not today! It's an Imperial with a key blade. How old might it be, and is there even a slim possibility that the covers are celluloid? For as little as I paid for it, those are my main concerns.
s-l1600.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Got a couple of 3 5/8 inch lock backs on the way. Looking forward to both of them.

By the way, Smoky Mountain Knife Works is having a great sale on select Boker knives right now. I saved myself about $70 on the Junior Scout.
Attachments
Sharnshinyknives Exclusive Moki Kronos
Sharnshinyknives Exclusive Moki Kronos
Boker Junior Scout
Boker Junior Scout
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 pm By the way, Smoky Mountain Knife Works is having a great sale on select Boker knives right now. I saved myself about $70 on the Junior Scout.
That's a heck of a discount! They had a Kirinite Mini Copperhead with a Wharncliffe blade in today's flash sale, and I took that bait.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:55 pm That's a heck of a discount! They had a Kirinite Mini Copperhead with a Wharncliffe blade in today's flash sale, and I took that bait.
That's what I thought too. I bought a Boker Boy Scout (bottom knife) in 2018 for full retail price but I didn't think the price for those was that bad in 2018. I've wanted the mid sized Junior Scout ever since but I couldn't bring myself to pay full retail.

I just happened to be looking at the Junior Scout again and it came down to either the Moki SFO or a Junior Scout. I chose the Moki and I was just going to forget about the Boker again. Thanks to that sale I'm going to have both knives instead of just one.
Attachments
IMG_4386.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

These are coming from Olde Cutler's recent sale here.

Buck 301 beater with wood scales. I have a Delrin 1992 301, but I don't carry it. It was a Christmas gift to employees of Pounding Mill Quarry, a local business, in 1993 (etched with a dragline shovel and "PMQC 1993"). I wanted one I could use, and use hard, and not baby. At $15, this was just what the job required. The fun fact was that I paid $15 also for the never-carried or used, practically new 1992 3-4 years ago, and I know I really underpaid. All the other knives were broken $5 new import junk in that pawn shop's cabinet, and the guy wanted the SAME price for all of them.

A buddy of mine and I have gotten together, and we're raising some beef cattle. I'm just helping out with the fencing work we're doing in the next few weeks to prepare, but caring for the livestock will mostly be my responsibility. I live here on the farm with my grandparents--he's got a family of his own, helps his dad out with his well-drilling business, and has a full-time job on top of that. This will be my work knife for that job. I want something reliable, modern production, and tough. I've been retiring the bulk of my halfway-decent Camillus, Schrade, and Queen users (except for Big Chiefs). The Buck 301 meets all that criterion.
IMG_4258.JPG

Rigid Japan RG-51. Some time ago, a guy on eBay had a huge amount of NOS Rigids for dirt cheap prices, including an RG-51 ($30). Seems this was not a popular model, and once he sold out, I only saw expensive examples. Basically, the RG-51 is a handyman's knife/multitool. In addition to a one-hand opening drop-point blade, there is a short serrated Wharncliffe blade. But, there's also tools built into the pocket clip, which rotates out to form a tool. A plastic cover comes off to reveal three wrenches, wire strippers, and a screwdriver tip. It's such a weird knife, I had to finally get one at just $20.

IMG_4264.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Utica Cheyenne I Trapper. I've seen one place say it was 3 7/8 closed, another 4". Utica themselves say 4 1/2". I say 4 1/8", as they make some Moore Maker Trappers that are listed as 4 1/8". Utica discontinued most of the traditional folders they make that aren't SFOs (Moore Maker, Klein), and this is pretty much the only one left, along with a two-blade model. Typically, they're about $50. I consider Utica less than Case, but more than Bear and Son in quality; so I'm not paying more than a 3254CV Delrin Trapper.

For just over $30 with a carbon steel blade, I couldn't say no. Not really a fan of the white Delrin. Unlike other colors, it gets real ugly, real quick. Thinking I'll get it rehandled.

Also, I'm not sure how it will come.

Either an ugly etched blade:
D57-1-11-12979WD.png

Or a Utica-stamped blade with an old-looking style Utica tang stamp. Honestly, has Utica EVER changed their tang stamps? I have new and 50 year old Utica/Kutmaster with the SAME tang stamps.
51DLU3zj7uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:59 pm Not really a fan of the white Delrin. Unlike other colors, it gets real ugly, real quick. Thinking I'll get it rehandled.
Unless I intended it to be a cabinet queen, I'd do the same. I tend to avoid white Swiss Army knives for that reason. The stamped tang has more eye appeal, but I guess that isn't terribly important for a carrier.
USN 2000-2006
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

SIlver Knights Blades, after a long dry-spell due to Buck's SFO guy leaving and the COVID-19 epidemic, announced they'd found some old offerings that were returned some time ago in the shipping department. Among them was the Buck 501 Squire "Goodfella". I've been wanting a 501 since 4-5 years ago, when in a group of knives I inherited, I got an empty box for an early production 501 (when it was still called the Esquire). It's just the right size for me. And, it's just 3 ounces and slim; which the 110 and 112 ain't. I've had its 1990s Bucklite cousin, the 444 for quite some time and love it. But I didn't love the handle it used--doesn't feel as solid as a Gerber LST or Schrade SP-7. I wanted a bit less pedestrian steel, and a Custom Shop 501 in S30V with a non-wood handle was nearly $120. I could not afford that. I emailed the owner, and he said they were just $70 ($10 less than when new). That's roughly equal to what a standard wood/420HC 501 is from Buck these days if you just buy the knife; and then pay $8 for shipping. These may have some small centering problems, but I don't care. This will be a user. I know while some Bucks ain't perfect, they can't get down to the level Bear and Son seems to find acceptable.

Steel: CPM-154. One of my favorite steels, as it's better in edge retention than the old school Buck 440C, but not much harder to touch up. Handle: Burlap Micarta.--grippy and looks good (albeit I prefer canvas micarta) Sheath: standard leather.

50530676_380146236133647_1817132465446688514_n.jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:43 pm SIlver Knights Blades, after a long dry-spell due to Buck's SFO guy leaving and the COVID-19 epidemic, announced they'd found some old offerings that were returned some time ago in the shipping department. Among them was the Buck 501 Squire "Goodfella". I've been wanting a 501 since 4-5 years ago, when in a group of knives I inherited, I got an empty box for an early production 501 (when it was still called the Esquire). It's just the right size for me. And, it's just 3 ounces and slim; which the 110 and 112 ain't. I've had its 1990s Bucklite cousin, the 444 for quite some time and love it. But I didn't love the handle it used--doesn't feel as solid as a Gerber LST or Schrade SP-7. I wanted a bit less pedestrian steel, and a Custom Shop 501 in S30V with a non-wood handle was nearly $120. I could not afford that. I emailed the owner, and he said they were just $70 ($10 less than when new). That's roughly equal to what a standard wood/420HC 501 is from Buck these days if you just buy the knife; and then pay $8 for shipping. These may have some small centering problems, but I don't care. This will be a user. I know while some Bucks ain't perfect, they can't get down to the level Bear and Son seems to find acceptable.

Steel: CPM-154. One of my favorite steels, as it's better in edge retention than the old school Buck 440C, but not much harder to touch up. Handle: Burlap Micarta.--grippy and looks good (albeit I prefer canvas micarta) Sheath: standard leather.

50530676_380146236133647_1817132465446688514_n.jpg
That's a good lookin' knife, Cody! ::tu::
TPK

Post by TPK »

Nice find Cody! ::tu:: ::handshake::

This 3 3/8" Ed Wüsthof Dreizack Solingen. Never had any of this brand before. Wanted to see how they are. Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-04-24T174747.083.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-04-24T174735.231.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-04-24T174722.436.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-04-24T174704.878.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-04-24T174649.317.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-04-24T174636.414.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:04 pm Nice find Cody! ::tu:: ::handshake::

This 3 3/8" Ed Wüsthof Dreizack Solingen. Never had any of this brand before. Wanted to see how they are. Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
I think it would be a rather nice knife. Plus, Wusthof is a really high-end name in kitchen cutlery. I have a growing number of Solingen-made, but rather inexpensive ad knives, and regardless of whether they were made in the '50s (Kaufmann mini-Mercator) or the 2000s (Hilti Tools Tea Time Folding Knife) they are great quality. Really great value for the money. I've seen several knives like the Hilti, but the Hilti is odd in that it has a bottle opener, not a wire insulation scraper notch. It's a better EDC knife for that reason. Big, though (like 4.5" closed).

These are also bad though, and that because finding one that is more than $20 isn't hard, you may end up with a bunch of them and not notice. I now realized I had over a dozen shell-handle Imperial knives (because they were cheap). Five of them are Barlows!
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:30 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:04 pm Nice find Cody! ::tu:: ::handshake::

I think it would be a rather nice knife. I have a growing number of Solingen-made, but rather inexpensive ad knives, and regardless of whether they were made in the '50s (Kaufmann mini-Mercator) or the 2000s (Hilti Tools Tea Time Folding Knife) they are great quality. Really great value for the money. I've seen several knives like the Hilti, but the Hilti is odd in that it has a bottle opener, not a wire insulation scraper notch. It's a better EDC knife for that reason. Big, though (like 4.5" closed).

These are also bad though, and that because finding one that is more than $20 isn't hard, you may end up with a bunch of them and not notice.
:lol: Over here, they usually sell for more than I want to pay. This one, I picked up for €7 or about $8.50 shipped. That's right up my alley! ::nod:: ::tu::

TPK

Post by TPK »

I just figured out that some of these knives are stamped Ed Wüsthof & others are stamped Carl Wüsthof. Seem to be different time frames of production and I am guessing that the ones stamped with Carl Wüsthof are older than the ones stamped with Ed Wüsthof but I have to do some more researching on the subject. ::hmm::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Looks like a nice one, Tom.
USN 2000-2006
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:03 am Looks like a nice one, Tom.
Thanks Dan! ::handshake:: Should be ok as an EDC I guess. :D

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Moore Maker (Utica) Drop Point Hunter. I got this through the guy who sells Moore Maker's seconds on eBay for $52 shipped, quite a bit less than what Moore Maker's $66 MSRP is, and that didn't even factor in their crazy shipping costs, which would've been close to $15-20. That's why I never buy MMs directly from them. It is not imperfect--it is said to be perfectly fine. This is kinda close to the Schrade PH Hunters, but a bit cheaper than I find even used examples of those.

7" OAL. But, I think this is an incorrect measurement. Utica produced a 6 3/4" fixed blade in the Catskill with a 2 3/4" blade. They didn't produce a 7" version--just 6 3/4" and 8 1/8".

s-l1600MM3100UDLP.jpg

I feel a little silly. Could've gotten a bit bigger version of this knife for less. I forget that most Moore Maker patterns are based on existing designs from the companies they contract to (albeit, the double lockbacks; and the former Camillus Medium Sierra pattern are all exclusive; and several knives are offered in 1095, when the company contracted's own-version knife is usually stainless). This is the bit bigger version (which Moore Maker also sells under their own name), for a bit less; but is a regular Utica, not MM. Also has bone handles, but still has a 1095 blade. May get this one too as a nicer one mostly for the collection. Yellow Delrin is my go-to for a hard-to-lose knife. Bone is dressier.

https://www.chicagoknifeworks.com/utica ... xed-blade/
TPK

Post by TPK »

Nice looking knife Cody! ::tu:: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:56 pm Nice looking knife Cody! ::tu:: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
Thanks! I'm also going to try to make a pocket-friendly Kydex with clip sheath for it, as at 6 3/4" OAL, it's not really too big for a back pocket knife. It will be my first attempt at Kydex work.
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:56 pm Nice looking knife Cody! ::tu:: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
Thanks! I'm also going to try to make a pocket-friendly Kydex with clip sheath for it, as at 6 3/4" OAL, it's not really too big for a back pocket knife. It will be my first attempt at Kydex work.
I'll have to Google Kydex. ::shrug:: ::hmm::

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

TPK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 am
Hey Tom, Kydex is a name brand of a Thermoplastic acrylic PVC blended material that a lot of new holsters and combat knives sheaths are made of. It's also the same material used inside aircraft. The neat thing about it is, you can heat it with a heat gun and conform it to the shape you like, or form it around items. If a person is really skilled, they can make some good looking items with it. There are several UT videos that show people working with it.

Cody, be sure to post some updates.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
TPK

Post by TPK »

Papa Bones wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:37 pm
TPK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 am

Hey Tom, Kydex is a name brand of a Thermoplastic acrylic PVC blended material that a lot of new holsters and combat knives sheaths are made of. It's also the same material used inside aircraft. The neat thing about it is, you can heat it with a heat gun and conform it to the shape you like, or form it around items. If a person is really skilled, they can make some good looking items with it. There are several UT videos that show people working with it.

Cody, be sure to post some updates.
Cool! Thanks for the Info Smitty! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Got this lot of "cigar cutters" off the store here for $20 shipped. The odd "Firestone" advertising tool was mainly what made me buy it. It's got a ruler, wire cutter, knife blade, screwdriver, bottle opener, and what I think is a crimper, not a cigar cutter. I want to say I've seen one before, and it may have a file as well. The bartender knife, while worn, looks old and of good quality. The pearl-handled cigar punch will be used as a small marlinspike for untying my shoelaces.

The two knives center right accept a single-edge (or double-edge, I forgot--been a while since I was last looking at them) safety razor blade. If double edge, it gives me a good reuse for my Feather blades. I had been looking at getting one to replace my Gerber EAB (as even after being not sharp enough to shave painlessly, those Feather blades are as sharp as a new utility knife blade), but people wanted too much. The one at the left accepts the common single-edge usually sold as a scraper blade, so I'll keep some on hand.

1619624326_4471_1.jpg
TPK

Post by TPK »

Interesting lot Cody! ::hmm:: Especially the one on the bottom right. Catches my curiosity. ::hmm::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'd been planning this purchase, and set money aside for close to a year. To celebrate finishing my college classes for the near future (I'm taking a bit of a break to take an online IT course on my own schedule), I finally bought it. The generic Bronco clone was $15 cheaper, but I liked the C-10 much better. I had been stuck between this and the Kyosho Mini Z 4x4 Suzuki Jimny. The Kyosho was more than $50 more expensive (even after the fact this order had some assorted spare parts and a battery added; and $9 FedEx shipping as I hate SurePost/Smartpost shipping, even if it is free), fragile, and parts usually had to be sourced from Japan, as American Kyosho dealers rarely stock parts for all but the Mini-Z street cars. I had a 2WD Mini Z Overland Mitsubishi Pajero in my teens, which I bought used in poor condition, and that thing needed a lot of work, and parts. That is extra cost and waiting time--$20 shipping and waiting a month wasn't uncommon. Axial has several US dealers, the SCX-24 was cheaper, and parts are easy to get and rather inexpensive. I had to have 4-wheel drive (rare in smaller, less-expensive RC cars) and a decent ground clearance, without the truck looking like a monster. I loved the gunmetal color of the black version, but I preferred the more stock appearance of the teal one.

Axial SCX24 1967 Chevy C-10 crawler. This is an entry-level pro-grade car, but a bit smaller at 1/25 scale. That's as big as I go. Up until recently, I usually chose toy-grade RC cars one could buy from a store. They weren't very powerful, did not usually have proportional control, and were well, garbage. I'd spent enough on those since I was 9 to probably buy 4-5 SCX-24s. Pro-grade cars are tougher, more responsive, and usually anything that can be busted has replacement parts available.

http://www.axialracing.com/products/axi00001t2
AXI00001T1_A5_IJKMSCQC.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”