It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by CluelessNick »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 pm
doglegg wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:14 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:24 pm

Well yeah but I'm not like you guys. I've got willpower and self control. I won't try to buy every knife in the world. Anyway that's what I keep telling myself but it's not working. :D
"Hello, my name is CluelessNick, I am an addict"........ Denial only last for a while. Then you embrace the fact. By the way, "Hello, my name is doglegg, I am........ ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
"Hi, I'm Wayne and I collect sharp/pointy objects. I am NOT an addict. :roll: I can quit anytime I want to. :mrgreen: I just don't want to. ::woot:: ::groove:: ::ds:: "
I think I'll go with this one but the result is gonna be the same either way I'm afraid. :D
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

And to prove my point, here is the latest acquisition - a French M1804 Naval Cutlass made by Klingenthal for export to the Mexican government. This particular weapon was taken as a prize of war from the Mexican Navy ship AMADO during the U.S./Mexican War in 1846. It was then carried as the personal side arm of a Mississippi River Pilot aboard the CSS Arkansas in 1862.

22-7/8" BL 28-1/4" OAL

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:56 pm And to prove my point, here is the latest acquisition - a French M1804 Naval Cutlass made by Klingenthal for export to the Mexican government. This particular weapon was taken as a prize of war from the Mexican Navy ship AMADO during the U.S./Mexican War in 1846. It was then carried as the personal side arm of a Mississippi River Pilot aboard the CSS Arkansas in 1862.

22-7/8" BL 28-1/4" OAL

Pretty awesome!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 pm
doglegg wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:14 pm
CluelessNick wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:24 pm

Well yeah but I'm not like you guys. I've got willpower and self control. I won't try to buy every knife in the world. Anyway that's what I keep telling myself but it's not working. :D ::tu::
::tu::

"Hello, my name is CluelessNick, I am an addict"........ Denial only last for a while. Then you embrace the fact. By the way, "Hello, my name is doglegg, I am........ ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
"Hi, I'm Wayne and I collect sharp/pointy objects. I am NOT an addict. :roll: I can quit anytime I want to. :mrgreen: I just don't want to. ::woot:: ::groove:: ::ds:: "
::tu:: ::tu::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:56 pm And to prove my point, here is the latest acquisition - a French M1804 Naval Cutlass made by Klingenthal for export to the Mexican government. This particular weapon was taken as a prize of war from the Mexican Navy ship AMADO during the U.S./Mexican War in 1846. It was then carried as the personal side arm of a Mississippi River Pilot aboard the CSS Arkansas in 1862.

22-7/8" BL 28-1/4" OAL

Yep, I see your point! ! That’s a great piece there ZZ. The history that goes with it, very Cool. Nice Acquisition ::tu:: ::tu::
JP
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

22-7/8" BL 28-1/4" OAL

Good Lord now that's a knife!! Great history.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Nice knives, Tom & Nick.

ZZ...Man, if that sword could talk, what an amazing past it could tell. Nice acquisition, ZZ. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ordered this Green Alox Farmer @ 0445 this morning. I didn't have a green Alox. Guess I could have gotten a Pioneer but I'm kind of hooked on that saw blade.
Attachments
Victorinox 93mm Farmer -Sococut- Green Alox.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 pm Ordered this Green Alox Farmer @ 0445 this morning. I didn't have a green Alox. Guess I could have gotten a Pioneer but I'm kind of hooked on that saw blade.
👍💎👍 Nice one jerry!!!😁
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 pm Ordered this Green Alox Farmer @ 0445 this morning. I didn't have a green Alox. Guess I could have gotten a Pioneer but I'm kind of hooked on that saw blade.
What a great knife, Jerry. Can't beat the quality to price ratio on the SA's... ::tu::
TPK

Post by TPK »

22-7/8" BL 28-1/4" OAL

COOOOL! 8) Now that, is an interesting find! ::tu:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Very nice Farmer Jerry! ::tu:: Got one of those on my own personal "get list". I like the saw blade also. ::tu:: And then there is also the Farmer X with Scissors. ::hmm:: ::super_happy::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TPK wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:46 pm
Very nice Farmer Jerry! ::tu:: Got one of those on my own personal "get list". I like the saw blade also. ::tu:: And then there is also the Farmer X with Scissors. ::hmm:: ::super_happy::
Decisions, decisions.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

I went over the deep end today. ::facepalm:: I thought there was 40% off everything today at Shepherd Hills. I realized that the 40% was not being deducted so I called and asked before I bought these. Turns out I was wronge. ::woot:: I had to buy them anyways though. I mean I had to buy em cause they were already in my cart. ::shrug:: And..., I spent hours yesterday picking them out. That's two good reasons right there. ::nod:: Oh well, I like our couch. :lol:

They are both on back order though. ::pace:: And then mom has to ship them. ::pace:: So, by the time I get these, it will almost be a surprise. :lol: I'll post them as if I bombed myself. :lol:
Attachments
12185.jpg
-413373.jpg

TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:48 pm
TPK wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:46 pm
Decisions, decisions.
::nod::

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

You made the right decision, Tom...the couch is more comfortable than the dog house floor. :lol: ::woot:: Hope you get them soon...at least the lighter before Thanksgiving. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice haul Tom!! Future surprise!!🧐
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Tom
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:20 pm You made the right decision, Tom...the couch is more comfortable than the dog house floor. :lol: ::woot:: Hope you get them soon...at least the lighter before Thanksgiving. ::tu::
::nod:: Correct! ::nod::

Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: It's bighomer's fault I bought the Zippo. ::nod:: I wanted a Gobbler like in his pictures. ::nod:: :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=60899&start=2070

TPK

Post by TPK »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:51 pm Nice haul Tom!! Future surprise!!🧐
John ✌️
Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: A surprise! ::groove:: ::ds:: ::nod:: :lol:

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:00 pm I went over the deep end today. ::facepalm:: I thought there was 40% off everything today at Shepherd Hills. I realized that the 40% was not being deducted so I called and asked before I bought these. Turns out I was wronge. ::woot:: I had to buy them anyways though. I mean I had to buy em cause they were already in my cart. ::shrug:: And..., I spent hours yesterday picking them out. That's two good reasons right there. ::nod:: Oh well, I like our couch. :lol:

They are both on back order though. ::pace:: And then mom has to ship them. ::pace:: So, by the time I get these, it will almost be a surprise. :lol: I'll post them as if I bombed myself. :lol:
I really like the looks of that penknife! And, that's a nice Zippo. I only have a plain jane chrome version.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I made my first AG Russell order. I did not buy any of the Chinese-made offerings.

I was trying to cheap out, and there for a long time, was only interested in one or two cheaper knvies, and then kept realizing the $8 shipping charge. Well, I ended up making a $90 order with 3 of the non-Chinese models that I'd been looking at for a long time that weren't too expensive. I think I'll end up in the dog house for this one too, as this is my most expensive knife purchases since Spyderco's factory seconds sale in Dec. The Woodswalker and One-Hand Featherlite are Japanese, the Hunter Scalpel is made in Taiwan.

Woodswalker. I bought it as to have a pocket-carry fixed blade that can take on most of what I need. Belt sheaths are a bad idea. They hang up on equipment (esp. control levers and grab rails) constantly. At 6" with a 2 3/8 blade, it's neither too big nor too small. AUS-8 is decent for most jobs too.

I bought the model with leather hip pocket sheath, as it was a bit less expensive than the Kydex one for some odd reason (as buying leather is more expensive, and it takes more work than Kydex, which just requires forming, cutting, and rivetin). And, the back pocket is often easier to access. I will eventually buy the Kydex sheath on its own.

agprs.jpg

Hunter Scalpel in orange. Surprisingly, despite being slightly smaller than the Woodswalker at 4 3/4", it packs a slightly larger 2.5" blade. This is yet another-pocket carry fixed blade, but will be lighter and slimmer than the Woodswalker. Plus, the sheath has a latch in it that keeps the knife from coming loose unless released. AUS-10 is basically 440C, so I expect a bit more edge retention.
ru-t914-or_10a.jpg
K-93 One-Hand Featherlite, Clip-Point blade. I'm a big fan of ambidextrous locking mechanisms. You'll need two hands, regardless of which lockback you've bought. Most linerlocks (aside from those on most 111mm SAKs) need the right hand, not the left. Benchmade's AXIS lock works great for me, as does Spyderco's Compression Lock, but I lean towards lockbacks for some reason. This style lock should work great. Like the Woodswalker, it's AUS-8. It is lightweight, and slim. There is no clip, either. It is just under 4" closed at 3 7/8 closed, and it has a 3 1/8" blade--not too big, not too small.
k-93c10-b10.jpg

To unlock this-style blade, you lift up on the lock-bar near the pivot.
k-93c10_2.jpg
TPK

Post by TPK »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 pm I made my first AG Russell order. I did not buy any of the Chinese-made offerings.

I was trying to cheap out, and there for a long time, was only interested in one or two cheaper knvies, and then kept realizing the $8 shipping charge. Well, I ended up making a $90 order with 3 of the non-Chinese models that I'd been looking at for a long time that weren't too expensive. I think I'll end up in the dog house for this one too, as this is my most expensive knife purchases since Spyderco's factory seconds sale in Dec. The Woodswalker and One-Hand Featherlite are Japanese, the Hunter Scalpel is made in Taiwan.

Woodswalker. I bought it as to have a pocket-carry fixed blade that can take on most of what I need. Belt sheaths are a bad idea. They hang up on equipment (esp. control levers and grab rails) constantly. At 6" with a 2 3/8 blade, it's neither too big nor too small. AUS-8 is decent for most jobs too.

I bought the model with leather hip pocket sheath, as it was a bit less expensive than the Kydex one for some odd reason (as buying leather is more expensive, and it takes more work than Kydex, which just requires forming, cutting, and rivetin). And, the back pocket is often easier to access. I will eventually buy the Kydex sheath on its own.

agprs.jpg

Hunter Scalpel in orange. Surprisingly, despite being slightly smaller than the Woodswalker at 4 3/4", it packs a slightly larger 2.5" blade. This is yet another-pocket carry fixed blade, but will be lighter and slimmer than the Woodswalker. Plus, the sheath has a latch in it that keeps the knife from coming loose unless released. AUS-10 is basically 440C, so I expect a bit more edge retention.

ru-t914-or_10a.jpg

K-93 One-Hand Featherlite, Clip-Point blade. I'm a big fan of ambidextrous locking mechanisms. You'll need two hands, regardless of which lockback you've bought. Most linerlocks (aside from those on most 111mm SAKs) need the right hand, not the left. Benchmade's AXIS lock works great for me, as does Spyderco's Compression Lock, but I lean towards lockbacks for some reason. This style lock should work great. Like the Woodswalker, it's AUS-8. It is lightweight, and slim. There is no clip, either. It is just under 4" closed at 3 7/8 closed, and it has a 3 1/8" blade--not too big, not too small.

k-93c10-b10.jpg

To unlock this-style blade, you lift up on the lock-bar near the pivot.

k-93c10_2.jpg
Great looking knives Cody! ::tu:: I especially like that first one! That would also be a super cool piece of kitchen cutlery! IMO ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Good night friends ::tired::

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 pm I made my first AG Russell order. I did not buy any of the Chinese-made offerings.

Woodswalker.

Hunter Scalpel in orange.

ru-t914-or_10a.jpg

K-93 One-Hand Featherlite, Clip-Point
Very nice group of knives Cody. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 pm
I think you'll be quite pleased with that little A.G.Russell. I've had one for years and have even carried it and used it a few times. It's the dinktum. It rides in the hip pocket just slicker than snot on a door knob.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”