It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Ivoryman

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by Ivoryman »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:23 am
Ivoryman wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:48 pm Conrats, looks like a nice one from old Catquix. Have some from that seller myself. If I was a betting man I would bet you're about to be happy with that purchase, very nice, excellent looker, my favorite knife company. Good one and hope you love it.
Catquix it was! I can’t remember ever checking usps tracking as many times on any shipment as I have on this one. It showed up yesterday! You ever see 41 year old guy in overalls tear open a cardboard box like a kid on Christmas morning?? ::ds::

You paint a great picture, reading it almost felt like being there. Congrats, love that sucker rod wood and the wrench shield and everything. 86 is an underrated pattern. Nice score.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I'm gonna be playin' the Ponies soon...
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:17 am I'm gonna be playin' the Ponies soon...
Looks great Dan. ::tu:: Watch out now, those little ponies are super addictive. ::super_happy::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:10 am Looks great Dan. ::tu:: Watch out now, those little ponies are super addictive. ::super_happy::
Thanks, Smitty! And you have provided ample proof of the ponies' addictive properties. :)
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Next week some time. ::fc:: It's full size but I ordered it because of the Wharncliffe blade. ::facepalm::
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:21 pm It's full size but I ordered it because of the Wharncliffe blade. ::facepalm::
Who's a thunk? :lol: Nice one Jerry. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Smitty.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I wanted to replace a nearly 100-year-old Wharncliffe pattern from LF&C I couldn't quit carrying as I loved the blade selection, snap, and slimness. This was the only thing I could find in carbon steel that came close. It's a little bigger at 3.75" closed, which I find "just right" for a knife.

Kinda weird the ONLY company producing a not-GEC-priced Whittler in carbon steel is Rough Ryder. Case has only released their Wharncliffe Mini Copperhead and Seahorse Whittler in stainless steel. On another note, I'm still kicking myself for not getting a wood #19 Little Rattler when they were new. $75 wasn't too bad when we're talking about GECs.

I don't get the two pen blades over the fact most have coping plus pen; not duplicated blades.
rr1741_1.jpg
Got two others since SMKW had free shipping on all orders today.

Classic Carbon Denim Micarta Half Hawk (Loom Fixer). I decided to get it before it got discontinued and the cheap SMKW direct prices ceased; and at the least I'd be paying $20-25. Also at $15, MUCH cheaper than a vintage Case or Kabar example. Plus, I can use the RR like it was intended without babying it.
rr2186.jpg

And the Classic Carbon hawkbill. I like carbon steel in my hawkbill. Klein may make good hand tools, but their Utica-made pocketknife line is a little rough. Every new one I have purchased was stiff and dull. Lower-end carbon steels take rough farm use better than lower-end stainless steels. I have close to a dozen different Utica-made knives. Only two; one a hawkbill made in the '70s (and it's not got a lock on the blade, and is much slimmer than the current pattern) and a high-end line bone-handle double lockback made for Moore Maker are the ones I'd call grat quality. I'm moving to this for cable/wire/fine pruning work; and a Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill for farm work. I do wish SMKW would put plain bolsters on these Classic Carbon knives, however.
rr1734_1.jpg

And all for $42.63, sales tax inclusive. It's why basically RR is the only Chinese knife I'll buy. Decent quality for a working knife (actually quite good), and it won't break the bank.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:45 am I wanted to replace a nearly 100-year-old Wharncliffe pattern from LF&C I couldn't quit carrying as I loved the blade selection, snap, and slimness. This was the only thing I could find in carbon steel that came close. It's a little bigger at 3.75" closed, which I find "just right" for a knife.

Kinda weird the ONLY company producing a not-GEC-priced Whittler in carbon steel is Rough Ryder. Case has only released their Wharncliffe Mini Copperhead and Seahorse Whittler in stainless steel. On another note, I'm still kicking myself for not getting a wood #19 Little Rattler when they were new. $75 wasn't too bad when we're talking about GECs.

I don't get the two pen blades over the fact most have coping plus pen; not duplicated blades.

rr1741_1.jpg

Got two others since SMKW had free shipping on all orders today.

Classic Carbon Denim Micarta Half Hawk (Loom Fixer). I decided to get it before it got discontinued and the cheap SMKW direct prices ceased; and at the least I'd be paying $20-25. Also at $15, MUCH cheaper than a vintage Case or Kabar example. Plus, I can use the RR like it was intended without babying it.

rr2186.jpg

And the Classic Carbon hawkbill. I like carbon steel in my hawkbill. Klein may make good hand tools, but their Utica-made pocketknife line is a little rough. Every new one I have purchased was stiff and dull. Lower-end carbon steels take rough farm use better than lower-end stainless steels. I have close to a dozen different Utica-made knives. Only two; one a hawkbill made in the '70s (and it's not got a lock on the blade, and is much slimmer than the current pattern) and a high-end line bone-handle double lockback made for Moore Maker are the ones I'd call grat quality. I'm moving to this for cable/wire/fine pruning work; and a Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill for farm work. I do wish SMKW would put plain bolsters on these Classic Carbon knives, however.

rr1734_1.jpg

And all for $42.63, sales tax inclusive. It's why basically RR is the only Chinese knife I'll buy. Decent quality for a working knife (actually quite good), and it won't break the bank.
Cody, I could be wrong but Bear and Son
use mostly carbon steel and I’m pretty sure that they make a whittler pattern. GEC makes excellent knives but I don’t buy them anymore. Outrageously priced. Bear may run you $35 and they are well made.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:53 pm Cody, I could be wrong but Bear and Son
use mostly carbon steel and I’m pretty sure that they make a whittler pattern. GEC makes excellent knives but I don’t buy them anymore. Outrageously priced. Bear may run you $35 and they are well made.
I did a little research into that. Bear and Son did indeed make a whittler with carbon steel blades: spear master and clip and coping secondaries. It seems to have been discontinued for a little while.

My issue with GEC lies not within their pricing structure, but their distribution methods...which is better discussed elsewhere.
USN 2000-2006
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:12 pm
OSCAR wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:53 pm Cody, I could be wrong but Bear and Son
I did a little research into that. Bear and Son did indeed make a whittler with carbon steel blades: spear master and clip and coping secondaries. It seems to have been discontinued for a little while.

My issue with GEC lies not within their pricing structure, but their distribution methods...which is better discussed elsewhere.
Here’s a cool looking whittler
https://www.smkw.com/rough-rider-whittl ... 216dacbfe2
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:17 am I'm gonna be playin' the Ponies soon...
Congrats everybody! ::handshake:: You guys all just keep on finding awesome cutlery! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

I really like your new Pony Dan! ::nod:: Very cool find! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

I'm off sick from work today. Been having dizziness spells the last couple of days. Could have something to do with being Vaccinated. ::uc:: ::shrug:: Had to go to the doctor again this morning to get some blood taken for blood work. Anyways, everything is good for something right? ::nod:: Today it was good for buying a knife. ::nod:: I have wanted one of these for the last couple of years but I always got overbiden. I have seen these sell for up to €100. ::dang:: But today I finally got lucky! ::groove:: ::ds:: Picked up this 2004 Puma Bantam for 34,99 shipped! Which is about $42. ::super_happy:: The box is a little beat up but the knife is in unused & near mint condition. ::tu:: And the handles seem to have a bit of that "Pocket Worn" look to them too! :D

I am totally stoked!!! I got super lucky today!!! Can't wait to get my hands on it! ::super_happy::

Thanks for looking friends! ::handshake:: :D
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-06-25T084530.727.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-25T084519.829.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-25T084504.310.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-06-25T084452.340.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Made an offer on a slightly used Alox MiniChamp.
These tiny things are rather pricey, new or used. Hope I don't get bit
Attachments
minichamp.jpg
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
TPK

Post by TPK »

royal0014 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:36 am Made an offer on a slightly used Alox MiniChamp.
These tiny things are rather pricey, new or used. Hope I don't get bit
I like that measuring blade Chris. That's pretty cool! ::tu:: :D
What is the blade under it used for ? ::shrug::

John has a cool Victorinox with a magnifying glass on it that would come in handy for looking at tang stamps. ::nod:: ::tu::

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

TPK wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:16 amWhat is the blade under it used for ?
It's a cuticle pusher, Tom.
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
TPK

Post by TPK »

royal0014 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:26 am
::hmm:: Ok. Thanks for the Info. ::handshake:: Didn't know that. ::tu::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

royal0014 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:26 am
It's what it's described now as. It used to be a pill counting/stirring blade, much like the long secondary blade on a doctor's knife.

There are two tools and a Wharncliffe blade on the MiniChamp that originated on models typically only seen with advertisements for pharmaceutical companies. These were produced by Victorinox for the pharmaceutical companies to give away--they are the "cuticle pusher" and the "orange peeler". My theory has been that when regulations were passed in the 1990s to limit how much stuff pharmaceutical companies could give to doctors, originally, the MiniChamp was conceived as a way to use up those tools they had in inventory, and it became a hit; enough so that it became a regular production model. It was later updated to have a bottle opener/small Phillips screwdriver, which MiniChamps originally didn't have.

The Wharncliffe "Emergency Blade" was designed as an emergency tracheotomy blade; and the "orange peeler" for cutting off the safety band and picking out the cotton on pill bottles. I use the Wharncliffe more than the pen blade, and the "orange peeler" I use as its original purpose (cutting safety bands off pill bottles) and for cutting clampack. The "cuticle pusher" is usually a pry tool and scraper.

Great score by the way! MiniChamps, even Cellidor variants are bloody expensive! I own two Cellidor; one that is blue (repaired it using scales off one of my many Classics--pen scale cracked) and then one that is bog standard.
TPK

Post by TPK »

As always, very interesting & informative Cody! ::nod:: Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: :D I appreciate your posts! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 am MiniChamps, even Cellidor variants are bloody expensive!
Indeed they are. However, you do occasionally get lucky. I was recently able to score a used (but still very usable) Cellidor model for less than $20 out-the-door.

One other thing to add: when the MiniChamp gained the bottle opener/screwdriver combo tool, a ballpoint pen replaced the toothpick.
USN 2000-2006
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:37 pm
cody6268 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 am MiniChamps, even Cellidor variants are bloody expensive!
Indeed they are. However, you do occasionally get lucky. I was recently able to score a used (but still very usable) Cellidor model for less than $20 out-the-door.

One other thing to add: when the MiniChamp gained the bottle opener/screwdriver combo tool, a ballpoint pen replaced the toothpick.
::hmm:: So older Champs had toothpicks. Interesting. ::hmm::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am So older Champs had toothpicks. Interesting.
They sure did! I'll get some photos of mine soon.

Meanwhile, another one is on its way to me. I felt kinda sorry for this little Pony Jack, so I had to give it a good home!
s-l1600.jpg
USN 2000-2006
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:18 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:48 am So older Champs had toothpicks. Interesting.
They sure did! I'll get some photos of mine soon.

Meanwhile, another one is on its way to me. I felt kinda sorry for this little Pony Jack, so I had to give it a good home!

s-l1600.jpg

Nice one! While I have Schrade's take on the "Pony Jack" (the 12OT), I'm going to have to get a Camillus.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've wanted a bit older German-made knife for an EDC. I wanted something that was new enough to where I didn't care about using it (this one appears to be '70s-80s) and is not even close to mint condition (a little beat up, but not bad). I wanted to avoid synthetic handles, too. I have no excuse to NOT carry this one. Last German-made, stag-handle knife I bought ended up getting stashed not long after I bought it (German Boker stag penknife).

Edge Mark (Solingen, Germany) 10-243 Stockman; in what I think may be stag handles. Total cost, $17. I have a bit older "Edge Brand" 460 my Granddad gave me, which is a small stag handle fixed blade with about a 3.5" blade.

Needs just a tiny bit of work (stabilizing a couple of small cracks, replacing the shield), but nothing that shouldn't be a complicated, drawn-out repair.

Anyone got any idea who could have made this for Gutmann?

s-l1600GEMS1.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:05 am I've wanted a bit older German-made knife for an EDC. I wanted something that was new enough to where I didn't care about using it (this one appears to be '70s-80s) and is not even close to mint condition (a little beat up, but not bad). I wanted to avoid synthetic handles, too. I have no excuse to NOT carry this one. Last German-made, stag-handle knife I bought ended up getting stashed not long after I bought it (German Boker stag penknife).

Edge Mark (Solingen, Germany) 10-243 Stockman; in what I think may be stag handles. Total cost, $17. I have a bit older "Edge Brand" 460 my Granddad gave me, which is a small stag handle fixed blade with about a 3.5" blade.

Needs just a tiny bit of work (stabilizing a couple of small cracks, replacing the shield), but nothing that shouldn't be a complicated, drawn-out repair.

Anyone got any idea who could have made this for Gutmann?

s-l1600GEMS1.jpg

I would say Boker.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:03 am Nice one! While I have Schrade's take on the "Pony Jack" (the 12OT), I'm going to have to get a Camillus.
Thanks, Cody! The Camillus 21 is a great little knife, and often modestly priced. And your new German-made Stockman looks like a most excellent pick-up.

I don't have a 12OT (yet), but I did manage to score another 18OT. This one has some minor carbon spotting, but is said to be unused. It even includes the box and paperwork! ::ds::
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
USN 2000-2006

Return to “General Knife Discussion”