It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TPK

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by TPK »

Cool finds everyone! ::tu::

My latest additional is this 74mm Victorinox Elinox advertising pen knife. Did some quick research to find that the advertising on it is for a Swiss sewing thread company. ( Zwicky & Co. AG est. in 1840 ) Their Logo is a cat holding sewing thread. ::tu:: If you look closely, on the red thread roll there is an umbrella. If there is any connection to the umbrella on the Elinox tang stamp? I don't know. ::shrug::

Thanks for looking! ::handshake::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062345.641.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062332.498.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062322.399.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062301.461.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-07-29T062247.959.jpg
1263.jpg
45.jpg
61S0k6QcLEL._AC_SY879_.jpg
5387.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TPK wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am Cool finds everyone! ::tu::

My latest additional is this 74mm Victorinox Elinox advertising pen knife. Did some quick research to find that the advertising on it is for a Swiss sewing thread company. ( Zwicky & Co. AG est. in 1840 ) Their Logo is a cat holding sewing thread. ::tu:: If you look closely, on the red thread roll there is an umbrella. If there is any connection to the umbrella on the Elinox tang stamp? I don't know. ::shrug::

What a cool find, Tom! Very nice! Those ads are frame worthy!
TPK

Post by TPK »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:59 pm

What a cool find, Tom! Very nice! Those ads are frame worthy!
Thanks Buddy! ::handshake:: Yes, those ads are pretty cool! ::nod:: Might try to find one for the wall. ::hmm:: Would be an interesting knife related conversation piece. ::hmm::

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am If you look closely, on the red thread roll there is an umbrella. If there is any connection to the umbrella on the Elinox tang stamp?
The umbrella on the tang stamp is actually a crossbow. Looks to be pre-1976, based on the tang stamp. Cool find!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:19 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am If you look closely, on the red thread roll there is an umbrella. If there is any connection to the umbrella on the Elinox tang stamp?
The umbrella on the tang stamp is actually a crossbow. Looks to be pre-1976, based on the tang stamp. Cool find!
::hmm:: Crossbow. ::hmm:: Ok. I thought it was an umbrella. ::shrug::

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Tom;
What is the writing on the other blade? It looks to have 4 lines?
I believe the "Elinox" logo ended in 1957.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TPK

Post by TPK »

Old Folder wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:29 am

Tom;

Dan
Hey Dan! ::woot:: Haven't seen ya for a while. Great to see ya again Buddy! ::nod:: ::handshake:: Tell your Queen Bee I said Hello. Hope you are both doing well my friend. ::super_happy::

Not sure what the stamp reads but it's in the mail so we should find out soon. ::nod:: ::tu::

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TPK wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:16 pm
Old Folder wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:29 am

Tom;

Dan
Hey Dan! ::woot:: Haven't seen ya for a while. Great to see ya again Buddy! ::nod:: ::handshake:: Tell your Queen Bee I said Hello. Hope you are both doing well my friend. ::super_happy::

Not sure what the stamp reads but it's in the mail so we should find out soon. ::nod:: ::tu::
I guess I should have read "It's In The Mail" :oops:

Queen Bee says: Thank You Tom.

Queen Bee.jpg
Queen Bee.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
TPK

Post by TPK »

::ds:: Picked up a Case 1970 10 Dot 6269 Small 2 Blade Congress Knife. Blades need some cleaning but it still should be a nice EDC once that's done. ::nod:: I'm always pretty happy whenever I find a used Case knife over here! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

::hmm:: Does the pitting indicate that it has Carbon Steel Blades? Or could SS also look like this? ::shrug::

Thanks for looking! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204216.799.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204203.811.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204151.740.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204133.618.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204120.936.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204109.786.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204048.853.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204038.151.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204024.800.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-05T204011.813.jpg

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TPK wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:41 am Does the pitting indicate that it has Carbon Steel Blades? Or could SS also look like this?
I suppose stainless could develop pitting, but it's less likely to. That sweet 6269 is more than likely CV.

I have some new Cases on the way myself, a 6220 and two 10318s (the latter being G-10, a material I'm really eager to test out). No pictures, as I didn't think to save them until after I made the purchase. They apparently went from "almost sold out" to "gone!"
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TPK

Post by TPK »

Dan In MI wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:31 am
TPK wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:41 am Does the pitting indicate that it has Carbon Steel Blades? Or could SS also look like this?
I suppose stainless could develop pitting, but it's less likely to. That sweet 6269 is more than likely CV.

I have some new Cases on the way myself, a 6220 and two 10318s (the latter being G-10, a material I'm really eager to test out). No pictures, as I didn't think to save them until after I made the purchase. They apparently went from "almost sold out" to "gone!"
Thanks Dan! ::handshake::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

TPK wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:41 am ::ds:: Picked up a Case 1970 10 Dot 6269 Small 2 Blade Congress Knife. Blades need some cleaning but it still should be a nice EDC once that's done. ::nod:: I'm always pretty happy whenever I find a used Case knife over here! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

::hmm:: Does the pitting indicate that it has Carbon Steel Blades? Or could SS also look like this? ::shrug::

Thanks for looking! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
Nice one! I don't see a stainless stamp, and carbon steel can pit like that; and so can stainless if it's exposed to something that will rust it. I'm inclined to say carbon steel, as it wasn't as prevalent in the Case lineup in 1970 as it is today. The Half Congress is a lot more practical. I'm getting a Camillus, most likely.

And Case Congress can be expensive! I was given a really banged-up 6488 (the big 4 1/4" one); and was hoping to find a little bit nicer one of about the same vintage. When it comes to older American made knives, I'm used to (usually 1960s and newer) Camillus, Schrade, and USA Bokers; none of which are that bad if I want a nice shelf queen to go with a banged up user (which used to be, and still are to a much lesser extent, cheap) I am looking at north of $150 for a decent one! Yikes!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Way to go Tom! You’re on a roll buddy!

That CASE is non stainless, my favorite.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
TPK

Post by TPK »

Thanks for the Input Cody & Wade! ::handshake:: Appreciate it! ::tu:: ::nod::

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

It's funny Tom, I have a 6269 from '65 to '69 era that has almost identical pitting to yours. The handle and bolsters were in great shape, but the blades were pretty badly pitted. The blades look like stainless, but are not marked stainless. Here's a pic. of mine for you to compare. I do love that little knife though..
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yup gents, both of your beauties are full carbon blades. Nickel silver bolsters, brass pins and liners. According to Mr. Case, the pattern was discontinued in '78. It was only ever offered with CV blades.
With Case in general, if it is stainless blades, a SS would be stamped somewhere. Most of the time at the end of the model #. Not to be confused with the Lightning S knives.
Clean 'em up, and put 'em to work. Vintage Case makes for some wonderful edc's, which y'all know already.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

WillyCamaro wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:49 am Yup gents, both of your beauties are full carbon blades. Nickel silver bolsters, brass pins and liners. According to Mr. Case, the pattern was discontinued in '78. It was only ever offered with CV blades.
With Case in general, if it is stainless blades, a SS would be stamped somewhere. Most of the time at the end of the model #. Not to be confused with the Lightning S knives.
Clean 'em up, and put 'em to work. Vintage Case makes for some wonderful edc's, which y'all know already.
Thanks for the info, Willy! It's a great little knife. My EDC's are usually a little bigger. I have a problem keeping up with those small knives.
But, that doesn't keep me from buyin' 'em!
TPK

Post by TPK »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:56 am

It's funny Tom, I have a 6269 from '65 to '69 era that has almost identical pitting to yours. The handle and bolsters were in great shape, but the blades were pretty badly pitted. The blades look like stainless, but are not marked stainless. Here's a pic. of mine for you to compare. I do love that little knife though..IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPG
Still looks great though. ::super_happy:: I guess I will try my hand at cleaning the blades with fine sandpapier. ::hmm:: ::shrug::
Then add it to my EDC rotation. ::nod:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

WillyCamaro wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:49 am Yup gents, both of your beauties are full carbon blades. Nickel silver bolsters, brass pins and liners. According to Mr. Case, the pattern was discontinued in '78. It was only ever offered with CV blades.
Thanks for the Info Willy! ::tu:: ::handshake::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

May be here Monday. I just liked the handles and the knife was inexpensive.
Attachments
Elk Ridge ER-938RD - Labeled.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

TPK wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:41 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:56 am

It's funny Tom, I have a 6269 from '65 to '69 era that has almost identical pitting to yours. The handle and bolsters were in great shape, but the blades were pretty badly pitted. The blades look like stainless, but are not marked stainless. Here's a pic. of mine for you to compare. I do love that little knife though..IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPG
Still looks great though. ::super_happy:: I guess I will try my hand at cleaning the blades with fine sandpapier. ::hmm:: ::shrug::
Then add it to my EDC rotation. ::nod:: ::super_happy::
Multiple grades of steel wool work great Tom. Then finish off with #### paper (either auto or hobby), and a polishing compound. It's my cleanup system, works great from my experience. And a nice side affect of using wool; you get a very sharp edge on your blade, as long as you start with something half decient.
Best of luck mate, put that sucker to use!
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

toomanyknives wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:03 pm
Thanks for the info, Willy! It's a great little knife. My EDC's are usually a little bigger. I have a problem keeping up with those small knives.
But, that doesn't keep me from buyin' 'em!
My pleasure mate! I'm always here to help out a guy in need, just need to ask.
Winston Churchill

TPK

Post by TPK »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:00 pm May be here Monday. I just liked the handles and the knife was inexpensive.
Great looking handles on it! ::tu:: ::nod::

TPK

Post by TPK »

No Namer. ::tu:: Hope the handles are bone. ::hmm:: ::shrug::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-08-09T200002.116.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-09T195934.762.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-09T195914.230.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-08-09T195857.511.jpg

toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

TPK wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:55 pm No Namer. ::tu:: Hope the handles are bone. ::hmm:: ::shrug::
Looks like some awesome bone to me, Tom! That's a really cool knife!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”