It's In The Mail

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: It's In The Mail

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday I purchased these three, Camillus 72, variation pocket knives. Two, MCGREW ARKANSAS, 3 blade "whittlers" (the first four pictures) and a POWR KRAFT 84-11, 3 blade "whittler" (the last two pictures). I don't know if either of the MCGREWs has a blade etch. It wasn't mentioned in either knife's description and I can't tell from the pictures. The POWR KRAFT knife looks like it is in great condition. I will give all three the once over. I will post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). All the following pictures are the seller's.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (14.91 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (11.48 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (33.11 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (12.13 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Finally got one from the year of my youth that I spent in beautiful SE Asia. ::hmm:: sellers photo.
Attachments
20191206_154117.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I just bought this Schrade 863, 3 blade, swelled center, "whittler" pocket knife. Another Camillus 72 variation and another Schrade 863 for my collection. When I receive it, I'll give it the once over and post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These pictures are the seller's.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (19.49 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I just bought this Camillus 72 variation. My first and only, so far, BEAR MGC, 3 blade, swelled center, scout "whittler" pocket knife. It looks like it's in pretty good shape. When I receive it I'll give it the once over and post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These are the seller's pictures.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.39 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A good looker Skip. Let us know what you think of it. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

doglegg wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:20 pm A good looker Skip. Let us know what you think of it. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Thank you Floyd. I'll post my "review" when I get it. ::tu::

Skip
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Skip, don't get your expectations too high on that Bear & Son. I was told by Ken Griffey that mine was a reject that somehow escaped from the factory. Hmmm. Maybe. One thing for certain, it is reject quality.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:57 pm Skip, don't get your expectations too high on that Bear & Son. I was told by Ken Griffey that mine was a reject that somehow escaped from the factory. Hmmm. Maybe. One thing for certain, it is reject quality.
I read a post by you, or it could've been Floyd, saying that a BEAR MGC wasn't a "quality" knife. That's ok as I don't intend on carrying it or using it. It's just another Camillus 72 variation to add with all the others. There is also the chance that it turns out to be of exceptional quality. Either way, you guys will be informed.

This is the seller's description.
"Bear Mgc US made Boy Scout knife, 3 blade stockman style with brown plastic peanut scales to handle and fleur de lys on side. Measures approx. 3.5" folded, 6.25" with longest blade out. Shows a few spots of oxidation to blades that could use polished, edges look good. No wiggle when open. Nice condition."

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hoping I'll get this one before Christmas sence it's my Christmas gift. :mrgreen: I already posted it on the "Lanyard" thread but here it is again. ::shrug:: Hope no one minds the repost. :oops: Kinda strangely excited about this one. I think it's the whistle. ::doh:: :mrgreen:
Attachments
s-l1600-129.jpg
s-l1600-155.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:17 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:57 pm Skip, don't get your expectations too high on that Bear & Son. I was told by Ken Griffey that mine was a reject that somehow escaped from the factory. Hmmm. Maybe. One thing for certain, it is reject quality.
I read a post by you, or it could've been Floyd, saying that a BEAR MGC wasn't a "quality" knife. That's ok as I don't intend on carrying it or using it. It's just another Camillus 72 variation to add with all the others. There is also the chance that it turns out to be of exceptional quality. Either way, you guys will be informed.

This is the seller's description.
"Bear Mgc US made Boy Scout knife, 3 blade stockman style with brown plastic peanut scales to handle and fleur de lys on side. Measures approx. 3.5" folded, 6.25" with longest blade out. Shows a few spots of oxidation to blades that could use polished, edges look good. No wiggle when open. Nice condition."
Kind of my feelings Skip. It fits the description and fills a place. ::nod::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

TPK wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:29 pm Hoping I'll get this one before Christmas sence it's my Christmas gift. :mrgreen: I already posted it on the "Lanyard" thread but here it is again. ::shrug:: Hope no one minds the repost. :oops: Kinda strangely excited about this one. I think it's the whistle. ::doh:: :mrgreen:
Cool knife TPK ::nod:: ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TPK, I have one of those. It's a neat knife. I feel confident you'll be satisfied with it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:14 pm I just bought this Camillus 72 variation. My first and only, so far, BEAR MGC, 3 blade, swelled center, scout "whittler" pocket knife. It looks like it's in pretty good shape. When I receive it I'll give it the once over and post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These are the seller's pictures.
I was told by Mr. Griffey that they still have the tooling to that pattern--would be neat to see a 72 type from Bear. But, Rough Rider could do it better, and cheaper. What I don't get is why the shield is molded into the handle.

It looks neat! Hopefully, it will be a good one. I think the older the better with Bear. I recently got a penknife that is functionally perfect; and it was in 1990s packaging (which was in pretty poor shape, thus I chose to open it).
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:47 pm
New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:14 pm I just bought this Camillus 72 variation. My first and only, so far, BEAR MGC, 3 blade, swelled center, scout "whittler" pocket knife. It looks like it's in pretty good shape. When I receive it I'll give it the once over and post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These are the seller's pictures.
I was told by Mr. Griffey that they still have the tooling to that pattern--would be neat to see a 72 type from Bear. But, Rough Rider could do it better, and cheaper. What I don't get is why the shield is molded into the handle.

It looks neat! Hopefully, it will be a good one. I think the older the better with Bear. I recently got a penknife that is functionally perfect; and it was in 1990s packaging (which was in pretty poor shape, thus I chose to open it).
I have not bought a single Camillus 72 variation with any sort of high expectations. I go by the pictures, the seller's descriptions and hope that the knife I receive is at the very least in the condition described. I have not been disappointed yet. I have a feeling that this particular knife is in good mechanical condition and aesthetically pleasing. We will see.

Here is the link to the BEAR MGC "72" variation discussion posted previously by cody6268: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63174

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

Thanks Floyd & Jerry! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::super_happy:: I appreciate your comments! ::tu:: ::handshake::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I just acquired another Imperial "Deer Head" pocket knife for the zoo. Hopefully it will arrive sometime this week. When I receive it, I'll give it the once over and I'll post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These pictures are the seller's.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.14 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I just bought this Camillus 72 variation. It's another Craftsman 9494, 3 blade, swelled center, "whittler" pocket knife. To say the description was vague is an understatement. I've included it just for kicks. The pictures aren't that good at all either. So basically, it's a mystery knife. When I receive it I'll give it the once over. I'll post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These pictures are the seller's.

There were 2 knives in the lot, I edited one out of the pictures. Here is the description:
"One of these is about 4" long and says Craftsman on it. It looks like it has 2 or 3 blades. I did not want to try to open it due to getting a cut on another one earlier! The other is about 2" long and is one blade. I cannot read the brand but it looks like the Craftsman. I'm not sure though. Please use the pics as a description as I just don't know much about these pocket knives."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (12.31 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (9.87 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

Skip
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Gonna have to put some shine on the bolsters, been sitting in a collection for a while. Sellers photos.
Attachments
20191208_114600.jpg
20191208_114531.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:44 pm I just bought this Camillus 72 variation. It's another Craftsman 9494, 3 blade, swelled center, "whittler" pocket knife. To say the description was vague is an understatement. I've included it just for kicks. The pictures aren't that good at all either. So basically, it's a mystery knife. When I receive it I'll give it the once over. I'll post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These pictures are the seller's.

There were 2 knives in the lot, I edited one out of the pictures. Here is the description:
"One of these is about 4" long and says Craftsman on it. It looks like it has 2 or 3 blades. I did not want to try to open it due to getting a cut on another one earlier! The other is about 2" long and is one blade. I cannot read the brand but it looks like the Craftsman. I'm not sure though. Please use the pics as a description as I just don't know much about these pocket knives."
Skip, his lack of knowledge is your win. Congratulation on a fine looking 9494. ::tu:: ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

doglegg wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:47 pm Skip, his lack of knowledge is your win. Congratulation on a fine looking 9494. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you Floyd. ::handshake::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I just had my offer accepted for these two, Geo. Schrade, single blade, wire handle, jack pocket knives. They both appear to be in pretty good shape. When I receive them, I'll give each one the once over. I'll post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These are the seller's pictures.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I just bought another Camillus 72 variation. Another 3 blade, swelled center, Craftsman 9494, "whittler" pocket knife. It looks like it's in good condition. When I receive it, I'll check it out and clean it if needed. I'll post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These are the seller's pictures.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 1944 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I just bought this Camillus 18. It doesn't look bad at all. I'll check it out when I get it and post MY pictures in the appropriate location(s). These pictures are the seller's.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.61 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

Skip
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Indian Stag Delrin® handles. Looks to be in excellent condition. I love #14's and #18's. Congrats on that find.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:48 pm Indian Stag Delrin® handles. Looks to be in excellent condition. I love #14's and #18's. Congrats on that find.
Thank you Jerry. ::handshake:: For less than $23, including shipping, I couldn't pass it up. ::tu::

Skip

Return to “General Knife Discussion”