For Folks Who Are New To Pocket Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: For Folks Who Are New To Pocket Knives

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Probably get a better answer if you post the knife and your question in the Bulldog Collectors forum. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... m.php?f=74. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome to all you new members. ::handshake::

Tee, you have good looking BD. It is a 3rd generation BD. The "prototype" mark is unlikely to add any value to the knife as it was sometimes added to a blade to increase its desirability to a potential buyer. I don't have any way to distinguish a true prototype from an "artificial" prototype.

Your scales appear to be celluloid. BD made many attractive scales using this material. Do not store it were it will be exposed to heat. Sometimes celluloid may begin to deteriorate or "outgass" which will corrode the knife and any other knives in proximity. I suggest you apply a coating of Renn Wax or other high quality wax to the the entire knife, scales and blades. Many collectors have had celluloid handles for decades with no outgassing. So enjoy your knife. There are many good Bulldogg knives available in our AAPK stores.
Tee

Post by Tee »

I came across this knife says GARTMAN inside a arrowhead i know it is a Jess Elrod "rope cutter" with the name Charlie Jones on back of blade can anyone give more info is a good collector knife or a waste of time
20190915_211215.jpg
20190915_211157.jpg
20190915_211141.jpg
Dnight18

Post by Dnight18 »

I was going threw some knife I’ve had for year and seems these and was hoping someone could help me identify them
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Jusy want to welcome you to the AAPK. ::handshake:: It's likely someone will come along eventually who may be able to shed light on what you have.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I can add that the very bottom knife appears to be a Kissing Crane knife [Herman Klass] which, judging by its apparent age, would have been made in Germany. Can you find a mark anywhere that says Solingen? This town in Germany is where they used to be made.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You would be better served if you post your knives and questions in ‹Knife Related Q&A ---► https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... um.php?f=4
They will get much better exposure there and bring you answers to your questions much quicker.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ole Joe Clark

Post by Ole Joe Clark »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:00 pm This video is a 19 minute introduction to pocket knives and the terminology you will see folks on the forum using when talking about their pocket knives.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuRiJrNqGI[/youtube]
I realize this is a reasonably old post, but it is so classy. No loud music, how great I am, etc, and always talking about the subject, and spoke clearly, easy to understand. I wish this was required viewing for anyone wanting to do a video. I am an old cranky guy, but this kept my attention all the way through, and I learned a lot.

Thanks again.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
New2PocketKnives

Post by New2PocketKnives »

Have recently starting building my pocketknife collection. This is kind of an odd, and probably obvious question, but when you all are talking about your collections, what kind of quantity are you referring to? Or is it more to the types or brands of pocketknives or is it an "all of the above" kind of answer?
Thanks for enlightening this newbie!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

New2PocketKnives wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:25 pm Have recently starting building my pocketknife collection. This is kind of an odd, and probably obvious question, but when you all are talking about your collections, what kind of quantity are you referring to? Or is it more to the types or brands of pocketknives or is it an "all of the above" kind of answer?
Welcome aboard!!
One is start.
Two is a couple.
Three or more is a collection. Just my way of thinking.

As for what or how, that's your call.
By brand/maker.
By handle material.
By pattern.
By size.
By color.
By function.
By year.
By (insert category of your choice here).

Many of us (I raise my hand) see a difference in collecting and accumulating.
Collectors generally buy knives that are for display, never to be used. They usually have a few that do get pocket time.
An accumulator (me) use any and all the knives they purchase.

All the above are just my 2-1/2 cents.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

New2PocketKnives wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:25 pm Have recently starting building my pocketknife collection. This is kind of an odd, and probably obvious question, but when you all are talking about your collections, what kind of quantity are you referring to? Or is it more to the types or brands of pocketknives or is it an "all of the above" kind of answer?
Welcome to AAPK! First rule...there are no rules to what constitutes a collection, around here. Second rule...you just have to enjoy looking at and / or enjoy using a knife...to hang out with the folk here. A great group of people are here and you can learn a lot from them.
Oh...and we do like pictures...so feel free to share some of your knives, with us!
::welcome::
::handshake::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
TPK

Post by TPK »

Hello & Welcome to our little home on the WWW N2PK,

Tons of good information & even more great people here on the AAPK so Welcome aboard, grab ya a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, read some posts, show us some pictures, tell us a joke, make a prayer request or whatever, just enjoy, we're glad you came! ::handshake::

I guess reading the above statements I'm situated somewhere between the two categories of collecting & accumulating. I have both new and old knives in my little show case on the wall as well as in my pockets. Petesknives (Ken) has a saying he got from his dad that I like. He said "Some knives are for useing & some knives are for looking at." We all can choose which is which I guess. As to the quality of knives you collect or accumulate, it's a question of taste & money. But don't get discouraged by that because there are some good quality knives that can be found to fit just about any budget. I've only bin accumulating a little over a year now so I'm no expert on anything here but I can say that I'm finally feeling more confident about myself in relationship to pocket knives. After a year here, I can say I've learned a lot about patterns, brands, quality, my personal prefrences ect. And right before this post, I took my first attempt at sharpening knives with a stone. I must say, I am well pleased with my first attempts. I took some really messed up old blades (5 of them) and got them sharpend up enough to cut paper fairly well. You can't shave hair with em yet but I'll settle happily on paper cutting for my first attempts. Here's a link to a real simple stone sharpening video. I used the paper fold trick to find the right angle and an old belt as my leather strap & I was positively surprised at my first results. ::tu:: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GtSMCsWk2gw

Anyways..., Welcome to the AAPK! ::handshake::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
CamouflageYVR

Post by CamouflageYVR »

Hi, Great to join AAPK...
TPK

Post by TPK »

CamouflageYVR wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:48 pm Hi, Great to join AAPK...
Hello CamouflageYVR & Welcome to the AAPK! Pull up a chair, glad you came! ::handshake:: ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Mossyoak56

Post by Mossyoak56 »

Hey guys thanks for the add. Some of you guys are gonna like newbies like me..oh boy fresh meat right?? I just inherited my dads knife collection. Most of his folders were stolen several years back, but I have quite a bit of fixed blades I'd like to learn about. He collected mostly stag handles, and brands from Ruana to Remington, and vintage Kershaws to DeLeon if that's how you spell it. I'll post some pictures and ask some questions if yall don't mind.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Mossyoak56 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:21 pm Hey guys thanks for the add. Some of you guys are gonna like newbies like me..oh boy fresh meat right?? I just inherited my dads knife collection. Most of his folders were stolen several years back, but I have quite a bit of fixed blades I'd like to learn about. He collected mostly stag handles, and brands from Ruana to Remington, and vintage Kershaws to DeLeon if that's how you spell it. I'll post some pictures and ask some questions if yall don't mind.
We don't mind at all. In fact, we encourage it!
Welcome aboard!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Welcome MO56! We love pictures and look forward to them!
::welcome::
::handshake::
Mossyoak56

Post by Mossyoak56 »

Kershaw
Kershaw
Let's start here.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

::ds:: Those are some sweet knives Mossyoak! ::welcome::
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Mossyoak56

Post by Mossyoak56 »

::tu::
Byrd wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:07 pm ::ds:: Those are some sweet knives Mossyoak! ::welcome::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Can't wait to see any Ruanas.
Mossyoak56

Post by Mossyoak56 »

Would hate to keep a good man waiting!
Attachments
Ruana
Ruana
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Wow. Fine, very fine looking Ruana. ::tu:: ::tu::
Mossyoak56

Post by Mossyoak56 »

::tu:: Thanks!
Quick Steel wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:14 am Wow. Fine, very fine looking Ruana. ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”