For Folks Who Are New To Pocket Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: For Folks Who Are New To Pocket Knives

Post by jerryd6818 »

Lssenn wrote:Is there anyway someone can tell me a value of a couple knives ive picked up..send me a pm and ill send pics...thanks
I think you would be better served posing your question in it's own thread in this forum along with pictures ---> viewforum.php?f=4

This is the thread that has instructions for posting pictures. ---> viewtopic.php?f=98&t=50258
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

jerryd6818 wrote:This video is a 19 minute introduction to pocket knives and the terminology you will see folks on the forum using when talking about their pocket knives.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuRiJrNqGI[/youtube]
I would love to watch this video, but don't know how to open it. Could you help this old poop, and tell me how to open it?
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

When the forum software was updated, the "youtube" feature changed how it handled links to videos (for the better). The task of going back through this thread and re-posting every video was so daunting that I just couldn't get up the umph to do it. Maybe I'll have a spurt of energy and redo them a few at a time. Until then, here's the one that's been asked about.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Case Knife Patterns

How It's Made - Swiss Army Knives

How It's Made - Pocket Knives

Two Short Videos Demonstrating Blade Snap

Page #1 Complete
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The making of a (French) Laguiole knife. This is the top notch FONTENILLE PATAUD brand. It's a good video and the manufacturing steps are very similar for any knife.

A review of the Fontenille Pataud, Laguiole Nature, Laguiole knife.

About Elephant Toenails, Sunfish and Sleeveboards: GEC Northfield UN-X-LD Watch Pocket Sunfish (Great Eastern's take on the subject)

End of Page 2 & 3
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Here's a video first posted in another thread by Mitch Rapp. It's all about how Topps Knives (fixed blades) are made. About ten minutes long, I thought it was pretty interesting and also belonged here. Thanks Mitch.

If you have the time, the second video about Ernest Emerson is pretty good too. Also about ten minutes.

GEC factory tour showing the steps it takes to make a complete pocket knife. Part one is 19 minutes long.

Part two is 18 minutes long. I'm glad to see that in part two, they finally got some safety glasses on "Dwayne".

The final step, part three is nine minutes long.

What Every Gun & Knife Owner In America Needs To Know!!

End of page 4 & 5
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cubflyer

Post by cubflyer »

Great info thanks for sharing! ::tu::
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks for the info and video, you can never have enough info. Bill
Bill
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for those new links and new videos! A pleasure to watch!
Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:This video is a 19 minute introduction to pocket knives and the terminology you will see folks on the forum using when talking about their pocket knives.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuRiJrNqGI[/youtube]
I would love to watch this video, but don't know how to open it. Could you help this old poop, and tell me how to open it?
Sut Tatersaul
Until all the links are changed over, you can copy the link between the square brackets "[ ]" so this link that you couldn't get open:
"[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuRiJrNqGI[/youtube]": would then be"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuRiJrNqGI". Notice that the square brackets containing the word "youtube" are removed. Then paste the altered link into the search bar at the top of whatever browser you use. Oh and you only copy/paste the link, don't copy the quotation marks.

That's probably as clear as mud for you. ::hmm::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some of the more frequently asked questions here on AAPK concern cleaning of knives. "Should I clean my knife?" "How much should I clean my knife?" "How do I clean my knife?"

These or similar questions are frequently asked by new collectors. Here are links to some threads that address these questions. As you will see there are occassional differing opinions. Read these posts, and then decide what is right for your knife. Additional posts may also be found by using the AAPK search engine.

"Should I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51009&p=548642&hilit=Cleaning

"How much should I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48441&p=503723&hilit=Cleaning

"How do I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50318&hilit=Cleaning

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=47909&p=495555&hil ... e+cleaning

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Some of the more frequently asked questions here on AAPK concern cleaning of knives. "Should I clean my knife?" "How much should I clean my knife?" "How do I clean my knife?"

These or similar questions are frequently asked by new collectors. Here are links to some threads that address these questions. As you will see there are occassional differing opinions. Read these posts, and then decide what is right for your knife. Additional posts may also be found by using the AAPK search engine.

"Should I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51009&p=548642&hili ... ng#p548642

"How much should I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48441&p=503723&hili ... ng#p503723

"How do I clean my knife?" viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50318&hilit=Cleaning
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=47909&p=495555&hil ... ng#p495555

Ken
Ken how about copying this post, naming a new thread "knife cleaning" or some such and posting it in it's own thread in the Tips & Tricks forum. Won't hurt at all for it to be in two places. Just a suggestion. If you see some fault with that logic, feel free to fire away. Yeah, I could do it but it's your post.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Ken how about copying this post, naming a new thread "knife cleaning" or some such and posting it in it's own thread in the Tips & Tricks forum. Won't hurt at all for it to be in two places. Just a suggestion. If you see some fault with that logic, feel free to fire away. Yeah, I could do it but it's your post.
Thanks Jerry. I did as you suggested. I had always thought of the "Tips and Tricks" forum as being guidance on how to navigate around the forum. I think this will be the first "Knife Tips" thread posted there. Breaking new ground, I guess. ::hmm::

BTW I learned something in the process. Simple copy and paste didn't re-create the URL, I had to re-insert the "htpps" and stuff that follows it to make the links work. And the "#" and numbers following it at the end links to a specific post within the thread. If you want to link the entire thread from its beginning you need to delete the # and all that follows it. You probably knew all that but I had to figure it out the hard way. ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yeah, we should probably have a "Frequently Asked Questions" forum.

What I've found that works without all that messin' around is to do a quote post, copy and paste the unposted contents of that into the new location and remove the [quote][/quote] so it shows up like a regular post. Now back out of where you were quoting the post so that disappears. Hope that makes sense
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:Yeah, we should probably have a "Frequently Asked Questions" forum.

What I've found that works without all that messin' around is to do a quote post, copy and paste the unposted contents of that into the new location and remove the
so it shows up like a regular post. Now back out of where you were quoting the post so that disappears. Hope that makes sense
Now you tell me! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

:lol: :lol: Time to take off the training wheels. ::woot::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Yeah, we should probably have a "Frequently Asked Questions" forum.

What I've found that works without all that messin' around is to do a quote post, copy and paste the unposted contents of that into the new location and remove the
so it shows up like a regular post. Now back out of where you were quoting the post so that disappears. Hope that makes sense
Now you tell me! :lol:

Ken
Now THAT was funny... ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::cr::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
John Carter

Post by John Carter »

Thanks!
nativek

Post by nativek »

great info! Is a PICKBONE handle really bone or plastic?
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

nativek wrote:great info! Is a PICKBONE handle really bone or plastic?
Bone.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
RCMsocal

Post by RCMsocal »

Great to have links to all those videos in one place! Thanks
Floyd Partin

Post by Floyd Partin »

I have a Buck Creek congressman bobcat knife on the badge it has the deer antlers and says solingen. Does any one have any idea what it might be worth or what year it was made?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

I suggest you start a new thread here ---► viewforum.php?f=4 and ask your question there so it gets more exposure. AAPK is not an online appraisal service but occasionally there are folks who may be willing to opine on the value of a particular knife. Searching eBay's closed and sold auctions is the commonly suggested method of ascertaining the current value of individual knives. Good luck.

Edit: The Tips & Tricks forum located here ---► viewforum.php?f=98 is a good place to learn how to navigate AAPK and get things done on the forum.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ozwelder

Post by Ozwelder »

I am new here to your AAPK Forum. I am hardly new to pocket knives though, because of the addiction to pocket knives for maybe 57 of my 66 years.

However, I am new to learning the terms and nomenclature of pocket knives. I am keen to study the histories and origins and all about the people who made them.

I can remember the glass side tables in what you blokes call the dime stores. I vividly recall the absolute cornucopia of pocket knives displayed there and trying to get my mum to stop at a table so I could look at the treasures displayed. Now, I have about a 100 or so different pocket knives of one sort or another, purchased new and second hand or received as gifts.

Reading various posts, so far, I reckon I have found "home" as far as pocket knives go. Your Forum appears to me as a very natural friendly and non-pretentious environment.No inane comments about what EDC I am carrying or descriptions of "tactical" anything.

I just love it, It is all fair dinkum stuff. Thumbs up boys I am glad I joined. You are very friendly and helpful people.

I just had a prostate surgery a week ago, so I and am looking at a therapy of pocket knife repair as a hobby to keep me out of strife.I have got all the relatives looking for damaged or non functional traditional pocket knives for cheap in the flea markets.

I am glad to find you blokes.

Oz
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oz, welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. "glass side tables" Is that an Aussie name for a display case?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”