First Pocket Knife...What was it?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Re: First Pocket Knife...What was it?

Post by oldblinddog »

Old Hunter wrote:Old Blind Dog - my story is nearly identical to yours; my first pocketknife was a blue handled Cub Scout knife (no idea of the brand) at age eight, circa 1962/63. It got bumped down to one of my brothers when I got a Boy Scout knife in 1966 - haven't seen it since. OH

Ps This photo of my Pack was taken in 1964 - some of the boys have a Scout knife hanging on their belts (I don't). I'm the sleepy looking boy standing second from left on the front row (got my high-water britches on!)
That's a great picture! ::tu::

I have four grandsons that will be coming up on that age in the next few years. Trying to keep the traditions going. And getting resistance from grandma.... ::facepalm::
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

OT 3 blade and I still have what's left of it around. It is the first knife I can remember anyway. I got it new when I was about 16 teen, I think I paid around $5.00 for it from the locale hardware.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

My 1 year older brother and I used to route around in an old defunct sandstone quarry across the road from our house. We spent hours cutting "Tarzan vines" to swing on with sharp pieces of sandstone. We were trying to cut through a particularly thick vine and my brother gave up on it. I told him I would have that vine cut through before dinner that evening and he said I was crazy. He went so far as to bet me 10 cents that it couldn't be done.

After lunch I walked a mile into town to Rutland's 5 and 10 cent store, mind you I was just 5 years or so, and purchased a cheap Imperial shell handled jack that I figured would speed the process of vine cutting. I went back to the quarry cut through the vine with some amount of difficulty but managed to get it done. Then I went and got my brother and showed him the vine I had cut in two. Sadly before collecting on the 10 cents I made the mistake of showing him my little secret jack knife. My brother then declared the bet had been compromised by my buying and using a knife to cut the vine. He said I had cheated. Although no ground rules had been set for the bet the declaration saved him 10 cents and that was fair enough for him.

I'm not sure if this event had anything to do with my love of knives or not but am am sure it has something to do with my dislike for gambling.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

LOL.....
Wayne, what did your brother expect you to do... chew through the vine?
I think your ingenuity (and the investment in a pocket knife) was fair. BUT, I know when it comes to kids, age trumps fair play.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Apologies for the length of this post and the thick nostalgia.

My recollection of my first knife is a beat up, dull, rusty Barlow pattern that my Dad gave me when I was pretty young like 6 or 7 years old. It was pretty useless and wouldn't cut a thing except a dirt clod and I have no idea what happened to it. The first knife I bought with my own money was an Old-Timer 3 blade stockman pattern with sawn plastic handles. I remember paying $9.95 in about 1968 to 1970 when I was around 10 years old. This was a lot of money for me at the time. Once a week on Saturday we went into town to shop mostly for groceries. Our nearby small town of 1,100 people was also the county seat. There is a beautiful old courthouse with a town square and prior to the 80’s and 90’s it had a thriving set of stores: Ben Franklin dime store, P.N. Hirsh clothing, Rexall Drug, Western Auto, and several other non-franchise stores. The Western Auto store had the knife display case. I spent many a Saturday looking over the knife case trying to figure out whether to spend this large sum of money for a knife, a rod & reel, saving for new bike, etc. Anyway I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Old-Timer stockman. I can still see it in my mind, but I traded it away in the mid 1970's (more about that later). I knew from being around the older men in my life how mortally embarrassing it was to have a dull knife and I knew from these men that unless your blade would shave the hair on your arm then your blade was dull. So I tried out my new knife and it wouldn't shave the few hairs that I did have on my arms at the time – how disappointing that my $9.95 wouldn't get me the respect I wanted. So I got the whet stone out and got busy trying to learn how to sharpen my blades. I really didn't know what I was doing, but I wouldn't quit until I could shave my arm. One of my earliest lessons about the difference between what money provides you and what diligence, commitment, and pride in your work provides you (i.e., respect is earned not purchased).

Now back to why I don’t have the Old-Timer now… It is related to the real Ralph Alsip. There is more information about the real Ralph Alsip (if you interested) in my post about how I chose my AAPK User ID.

Basically Ralph was a neighbor and role model in my youth. Ralph had a half-brother named Lee who was also a neighbor and role model. Lee was a WWII vet who served in Italy. Lee’s son married my sister. Lee had a nice John Primble bone handle trapper that Ralph could not trade him out of. Lee offered me the Primble for my Old-Timer and I accepted. Looking back and knowing what I know now it is very apparent that Lee was doing a kid a favor. I was a dumb kid and didn't know anything about knife values, but what I did know was that if Lee Alsip asked me to do something I should do it.

After Ralph learned that I had Lee’s Primble knife he offered to trade me the Boker Cotton Gin collectible knife that is pictured below. I have had this knife for 37+ years and not always taken good care of it – I am amazed that I have not lost it through the many relocations that I have made. Ralph convinced me that this knife would really be worth something someday. I am not real sure when "someday" will arrive :D, but I researched prices recently and it looks like I might be able to get $50 for it if I wanted to sell AND I happened to find the right buyer. Even though the knife is not worth much the memory is priceless.
Attachments
ViennaCourthouse.JPG
100-0035_IMG.JPG
Boker Cotton Gin Closed.jpg
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Excellent story my friend thanks for sharing a part of your life...reminds me of a few knuckle-headed things I did as well. Great memories! ::tu::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good story Ralph.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Excellent story Ralph. Just goes to show the value in knives isn't always monetary.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound »

After Mom took my first knife, when she caught me "throwing" it to stick in the grass of the front yard, I set about trying to get a knife she wouldn't know I had...

I saved and scrounged money from the couch cushions and took bottles to the the grocery store for refunds....I had $3...I traded the cold hard cash to a guy at school who had one of those black handled mini switchblade style knives that were advertised in the back of comic books and Boy's Life. The blade was worn and it was a cheap knife that wouldn't hold an edge...but it was mine and Mom didn't know about it :D

When I was in second grade, I wanted a Cub Scout knife and thought I should get it with Mom's knowledge...it was after all for Scouts...she said "NO...we are not spending that kind of money for something I will just have to take away from you anyway" So I saved and scrimped and carried groceries and wood and came up with $10 to buy a real knife, a barlow....I bought it while I was staying with my cousin, from the local drug store counter display...and I still had cash left over to buy a baseball cap. Don't have the knife or the cap anymore...but I still have a love of pocket knives.

I decided that I didn't ever need to ask permission to buy a knife again...so I didn't and don't...I buy em when ever I want now.... ::tu::
"...Boys, those pocket knives are nice...but someday when you have grown to be men, you'll own a Case like this one here..."
Quote: My 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

RalphAlsip wrote:Apologies for the length of this post and the thick nostalgia.

My recollection of my first knife is a beat up, dull, rusty Barlow pattern that my Dad gave me when I was pretty young like 6 or 7 years old. It was pretty useless and wouldn't cut a thing except a dirt clod and I have no idea what happened to it. The first knife I bought with my own money was an Old-Timer 3 blade stockman pattern with sawn plastic handles. I remember paying $9.95 in about 1968 to 1970 when I was around 10 years old. This was a lot of money for me at the time. Once a week on Saturday we went into town to shop mostly for groceries. Our nearby small town of 1,100 people was also the county seat. There is a beautiful old courthouse with a town square and prior to the 80’s and 90’s it had a thriving set of stores: Ben Franklin dime store, P.N. Hirsh clothing, Rexall Drug, Western Auto, and several other non-franchise stores. The Western Auto store had the knife display case. I spent many a Saturday looking over the knife case trying to figure out whether to spend this large sum of money for a knife, a rod & reel, saving for new bike, etc. Anyway I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Old-Timer stockman. I can still see it in my mind, but I traded it away in the mid 1970's (more about that later). I knew from being around the older men in my life how mortally embarrassing it was to have a dull knife and I knew from these men that unless your blade would shave the hair on your arm then your blade was dull. So I tried out my new knife and it wouldn't shave the few hairs that I did have on my arms at the time – how disappointing that my $9.95 wouldn't get me the respect I wanted. So I got the whet stone out and got busy trying to learn how to sharpen my blades. I really didn't know what I was doing, but I wouldn't quit until I could shave my arm. One of my earliest lessons about the difference between what money provides you and what diligence, commitment, and pride in your work provides you (i.e., respect is earned not purchased).

Now back to why I don’t have the Old-Timer now… It is related to the real Ralph Alsip. There is more information about the real Ralph Alsip (if you interested) in my post about how I chose my AAPK User ID.

Basically Ralph was a neighbor and role model in my youth. Ralph had a half-brother named Lee who was also a neighbor and role model. Lee was a WWII vet who served in Italy. Lee’s son married my sister. Lee had a nice John Primble bone handle trapper that Ralph could not trade him out of. Lee offered me the Primble for my Old-Timer and I accepted. Looking back and knowing what I know now it is very apparent that Lee was doing a kid a favor. I was a dumb kid and didn't know anything about knife values, but what I did know was that if Lee Alsip asked me to do something I should do it.

After Ralph learned that I had Lee’s Primble knife he offered to trade me the Boker Cotton Gin collectible knife that is pictured below. I have had this knife for 37+ years and not always taken good care of it – I am amazed that I have not lost it through the many relocations that I have made. Ralph convinced me that this knife would really be worth something someday. I am not real sure when "someday" will arrive :D, but I researched prices recently and it looks like I might be able to get $50 for it if I wanted to sell AND I happened to find the right buyer. Even though the knife is not worth much the memory is priceless.
You grew up in Vienna? I went my freshman year of High School about 30 miles northeast up the road in Harrisburg.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

JerryD, I did grow up in Vienna. For those not familiar with Southern IL, Vienna is pronounced in a way that sounds like "hi anna".

I used to hang out some in Harrisburg because Harrisburg was one of the few towns around that had a movie theater. Not sure how things look there now after the recent tornado and declines in the coal mining industry, but it was a nice place in the 60's and 70's.

JerryH.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

My good friend Keith espn77, in a very nice gesture, gifted me an Old Timer 8OT with a match strike pull. A knife like this was my very first pocket knife purchase (see posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=41827#pr413811 for more info if interested).

I had found another 8OT without the match strike pull, but my recollection is my first knife had the match strike pull so I am very happy to have the one Keith sent me.

Thank You Keith - I will always be grateful ::handshake:: ::ds::
Attachments
Walden Old Timer 8OT with Match Strike
Walden Old Timer 8OT with Match Strike
Schrade Old Timer 8OT with Plain Pull
Schrade Old Timer 8OT with Plain Pull
Box for Walden 8OT
Box for Walden 8OT
bluecow

Post by bluecow »

My first pocket knife was given to me by my dad at the age of 4. with no instruction or supervision ( dad what where you thinking? ::dang:: ) i managed to cut myself the same day. mom managed to take that knife out of my life forever.
specgrade

Post by specgrade »

The first knife I remember having was one a family friend brought back from Germany back in the early 1980s. I don't know what happen to it. Sure wish I still had it though...
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Jerry. I had no idea what the knife meant​ to you when I sent it. I feel privileged to be a part of a great childhood memory. Thanks for your friendship.
Keith
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Buck 3-1/2" lockback. No idea what became of it. Amazing the amount of knives I've lost over the years...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “General Knife Discussion”