First Pocket Knife...What was it?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Bloodhound

First Pocket Knife...What was it?

Post by Bloodhound »

I am in a sentimental and reflective mood today and the guys at work and I were discussing this...they had some great ones Uncle Henry, Buck, Case, Cub Scout...a few of the guys still had their first pocket knife.

Mine was a Texas Toothpick fish knife...white bone or composit scales and unknown make. Mom took it a couple of days after I bought it when she caught me trying to flip-stick it in the lawn...never saw it again. She was not happy when I bought it and was more than happy to take it from me... :(
"...Boys, those pocket knives are nice...but someday when you have grown to be men, you'll own a Case like this one here..."
Quote: My 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: First Pocket Knife...What was it?

Post by buck16 »

I was 3 yrs. old, going on 4. A big Texas cousin of my dad's gave it to me outside the entrance to the first rodeo I ever saw. It was a yellow handled Case; two blade I think. I never got to carry it right then but was carrying it before I started school. I can't remember too many days better than that; my first knife and my first rodeo. In the sixth grade I let an older boy who had been held back a few years trade me out of it. When my dad found out it was one of my worst days. Thanks for starting this thread. It should be fun.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My first knife was a small Case serpentine two blade jack that I bought when about 10 or 12 years old with money saved from my "allowance", earned doing chores at home. Don't remember much about it except it was small and had two bolsters. The handles were dark, probably either slick black or dark red bone. Looking back on it now I suspect it was probably a 6227 pattern. I bought it because I liked the looks and it was one of the only ones the store had that I had enough money to buy. Remember my dad telling me after I bought it that Case was a well made knife. Didn't have it long as I lost it to an older kid in a game of mumbleypeg on the school playground.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Attachments
Barnette Tool Co.JPG
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

I must have been 14 years old when I decided that I would need a "proper" knife. So I went to a gun-store and got myself a Puma Gamewarden, which is a copy of the Buck 110. It had Jacaranda wood handles and brass bolsters and cost me a small fortune. Unfortunately it was quite heavy in the pocket, a belt holster was too obtrusive and I was too dumb to sharpend it. ::dang::
I guess it´s this old Puma that planted a strong distaste for all Buck 110 clones in me. ::hmm::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Bloodhound,
The 1st knife I can remember buying was a Case XX (40-64 era) 61048. I carried it all through high school till I left home to join the Marines in 1964. My Dad claimed it and wore it to a "needle", I got it back after he died in 1979. Just a month or so ago, Elvis (Bob) replaced the blade with a full new 9 dot blade. I promptly put a vinegar forced patina on her so she wouldn't stand out :) .

There are a couple of threads some where on AAPK following this same topic. Always interesting to read about personal knives.
Treefarmer
Attachments
Here's the 61048 with the 9 dot blade installed.<br />Do you think Pop got the &quot;goodie&quot; out of the original blade?
Here's the 61048 with the 9 dot blade installed.
Do you think Pop got the "goodie" out of the original blade?

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

My first was a shell handled colonial that didn't last long. Then several other cheapies to carry around and abuse, carving my name in a tree or playin' tiddly wink etc.

My first real pocket knife was a Christmas present when I was 13. Buck 110 in 1986 ::tu::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.........my first knife was a Camillus cub scout knife, my mother took me to hind's dept. store in tupelo to buy it in 1943!!................... ::tu:: ..................
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Here's my first two...an Ulster Old Timer 58OT and a Colonial jack.
Used the Colonial for dressing rabbits and squirrels when I first started hunting, and the Old Timer resided in my tackle box for years. Once I got the collecting bug, I dug them both out and was thrilled to find that I still had them! Both still take a razor edge, the Colonial sits on my workbench and gets used for random tasks, and the Old Timer gets a carry about once a year or so for a special outing...I would be heartbroken to lose it.
GEDC3300.JPG
GEDC3301.JPG
GEDC3303.JPG
I also had a small German "Edge" brand fixed blade with stag handles that saw small game duty on occasion, no pics of that one though

When I started deer hunting at age 12, I saved up my funds and got a 125OT, I was sure proud of that knife!
My Dad accompanied me to a small hunting and fishing shop in Waukesha Wisconsin, called "Wau-Wis Trading Post"...The big Old Timer was beneath the glass counter, the shopkeeper pulled it out for me and I just knew that was the one for me! .... I can still smell the fresh leather sheath in my mind...I remember rubbing it down with mink oil when I got it home to soften it up. Still have that one too, here it is keeping me company in a tree last fall...
GEDC2799.JPG
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

My first knife was Dad's old knife when I was five. I don't remember much other than Brother telling me I could rub it on the step and sharpen it. I don't remember if I got it sharp, but I do remember Mom telling Dad "Billy will cut himself" and Dad saying "of course he will he's a boy".
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
Salernoslim

Post by Salernoslim »

Mine was one of my dad's hand me down case trappers. It was too big to fit in my pocket but it didn't stop me from trying. The fact that it was too big to carry is no doubt the reason i still have it to this day.
Robert
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Remembering back a long time ago, the first I can come up with is a cheap push-button tickler that you could buy at the Army/Navy store for a buck. Didn't take too long for the blade to loosen up and wobble back and forth. Or was it one of those Jap made scout knives with the fork and spoon that folded into the side of the knife on the out side. One of those two.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I still have my first ::super_happy:: a Imperial Kamp King my Dad gut me when I entered scouts.
Attachments
scouts &campers 034.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I had a couple of really cheap ones that may not even have had a brand name before I finally saved enough to buy at what age 9 or 10 was the knife of my dreams. A Case XX 6383 Whittler. By then I knew all about the split backspring and the main blade falling in the center between the two small blades and liked the blade configuration of it. Case didn't list handle material colors back then, but if it was bone, you got brown or red. Mine was brown. I decided then I was going to learn to sharpen it the right way and pretty soon I had it shaving without any scratches on the blades. It was my most prized possession and I took very good care of it until I joined the Army at age 19 where it was confiscated as "contraband". Some Drill Sergeant probably carried it home that night. I replaced it 3 years later with an identical one that I still have today along with a Case Sodbuster I bought the same day. Forty-two years later, the Case 6383 is my most collected knife and I'm going to request that I be buried with that replacement 6383 in my hand.

Treefarmer, good to see the 61048 again! I hope you get as much use out of it as your Dad did. ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

All I remember is sitting under this overhanging bush beside our purch, whittling a piece of wood, carefully making sure my strokes went AWAY from me and just barely slicing my knee (I was sitting with me knees folded).

It was some sort of camp/scout/utility knife....probably the Camillus Scout knife.....

I still have the scar!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Scott,
If you are like me, you probably have several scars that are a clear point back in some foggy memory :roll: . "Scars" might be an interesting topic for new thread ::shrug:: when we ain't got nothin' better to do.
Bob,
I remember my Marine Recruiter. His name was Cpl. Jimmy Rippy and his specific instructions included, "Do not take your pocket knife to Parris Island!". There were literally garbage cans full of, as you say, "contraband" at the receiving point at P.I. I remember seeing pocket knives, shaving lotions, fishing poles, even a set of golf clubs ::dang:: in those cans. The "welcome" the owners of the contraband received was unforgettable, I learned a bunch of "new phrases" that day! (They intended to play a round of golf or go fish in Ribbon Creek in their spare time ::uc:: )
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Yep, lost my pocket knife at Ft. Knox, Ky. Wasn't much of one though.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I believe my first was bought for me by my Grandmother, a cheap barlow off a counter-top display card. I have no idea what ever became of it.
I'm certain it never made it through childhood..... ::facepalm::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Don't really remember my first pocket knife, but think it was a yellow handled Imperial. My first fixed blade I remember well. Standing in Loyden's Army Surplus store while my Dad was making some kind of purchase, drooling over and staring at a Western L28 in a display case. Dad was a small town grocery store meat cutter with 7 kids who knew where every cent was going from his meager paychecks. I figured the knife was still worth a shot, but figured my odds were zero at owning it. I asked Dad if I could have it and without a beat He said OK. I was still trying to come up with a argument to convince Him I needed that knife when old Loyden handed it to me and Dad gave him what was probably a couple dollars of his hard earned money. I was so terrified I'd lose it I tied it to my belt with a leather shoe lace whenever I carried it. I still have it, along with almost every variation they made of that knife, and around 25 other makers childrens hunting knives.
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

Mine was a Boy Scout knife my dad gave me when I was 8 (1962) so I'm pretty sure it was an Ulster. I have no idea where it is now but I sure do wish I still had it. I have several "replicas" but none seem to measure up to that one.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Old Blind Dog - my story is nearly identical to yours; my first pocketknife was a blue handled Cub Scout knife (no idea of the brand) at age eight, circa 1962/63. It got bumped down to one of my brothers when I got a Boy Scout knife in 1966 - haven't seen it since. OH

Ps This photo of my Pack was taken in 1964 - some of the boys have a Scout knife hanging on their belts (I don't). I'm the sleepy looking boy standing second from left on the front row (got my high-water britches on!)
Attachments
Pack 200 - LOOM 885 - 1964.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Red handled Barlow 5 yrs.s old bought with milk money in kidigarden--thinking it was a Providence Cutlery my Grandmother from Tn. took it--never liked her before that :x
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

My first was a Imperial Barlow from the local drug store. I was 6 at the time. I carried it for a long time and I can't remember what happened to it. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Jigslinger

Post by Jigslinger »

I bought some off-brand stockman with a plastic handle off a display card at my local grocery/hardware store (same place I used to buy those rolls of twine with the little wooden bobber attached with which I would make my own fishing pole) when I was 8 or 10 years old. My local dentist traded me out of that knife and gave me a 1969 Case XX red-bone 6233 which I still have to this day, 45 years later.
"A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick."
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Jigslinger wrote: My local dentist traded me out of that knife and gave me a 1969 Case XX red-bone 6233 which I still have to this day, 45 years later.

That's awesome, right there...

Return to “General Knife Discussion”