Buck Creek Knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Hunter

Buck Creek Knives?

Post by Old Hunter »

I've been accumulating knives for over 40 years (without guidance) and began avidly collecting several years ago by lurking and then by joining AAPK and a few other forums to learn about knives in addition to simply buying them. One brand that comes up whenever I search the internet for USA Buck Knives is the Buck Creek brand; I know nothing about them, other than they are listed on ebay auctions as being German made. I never see any threads here about Buck Creek collectors here - who is Buck Creek and are they a decent knife? Who makes them and who imports them? Are they users or collectibles? Thanks, OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Buck Creek Knives?

Post by jerryd6818 »

The best information I have is they are owned by Frost. As far as where they are made, opinions vary widely. They are stamped with Germany and advertised as made in Germany but there is much speculation as to where the parts come from. All that and given the price, it gives one pause.
Attachments
Buck Creek Whittler German Origin.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
basser5

Post by basser5 »

They were originally made by Kaufmann, Solingen Germany.

The older ones... 1970s to mid 80s were very well made IMO.

I can only speculate on the new ones.

Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Their is a good book that has a whole section on their knives along with some good info. "The Knife Collector's Guide"by Ron Stewart. It is the only book I have found that gives you some kind of idea of pricing along with all the info.
They first owner was Burns&Company,KY thin Talor and now by Frost. They are still being made in Germany but I can't seem to find out who by. There was one pattern made in Japan. Buck Creek is a name of a mountain stream in KY that is how MR Burns got the name for the brand.
I can tell you the new Frost knives are not the same caliber as the older knives. The new ones have that China fill to them but they are stamped"Hand Made in Germany".
I have a whittler up for sale or trade on the knife trading thread if you want to take a look.
The ones stamped with 2 Indian head stamp seem to be the hardest to find. Like it has already been said,the older knives are of great quality and are very reasonably priced. Mr Burns died in 1985.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
glenn

Post by glenn »

Older ones is much better knife than newer ones.
razor edge
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

glenn wrote:Older ones is much better knife than newer ones.
+ ::tu:: ::tu:: do you think there China parts Glen?The new Frost knives . I know you probably have had them apart. That is what I have thought,made in Germany with China made parts.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I own two Buck Creek knives:one is a beautiful little 3 blade stockman with stag scales that was a Blade Show commemorative.The other is a folding guard single blade trapper pattern with celluloid scales that completely destroyed itself due to out-gassing in less than 5 years.Although I would agree that the early ones are well made I would stay away from cel handled models.JMHO
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
glenn

Post by glenn »

Try to find the older indian head with carbon steel . ::tu:: These frost buck creeks and Hen and Rooster newer knives are made in the same place most likely china.
razor edge
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

agree with basser on the 70s & early 80s knives. very good carbon steel but as mentioned some of the celluloid should be avoided. HiPower
HiPower
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thank you for all the information in answering my question re: Buck Creek. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Camillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Camillus »

Brand BuckCreek Owner/TM Frost
Country, Place of Manufacture: Germany, China (PRC)
Product notes: BuckCreek was an old German Brand, the TM was bought by Frost. Currently most production is still in Germany, however a few items have been made in China.

This is my only Buck Creek knife
Single blade Doctors knife in bone stag
Very well crafted German made knife.

Camillus
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Have a Knife Day!
Brett Allen

Post by Brett Allen »

Camillus wrote:Brand BuckCreek Owner/TM Frost
Product notes: BuckCreek was an old German Brand, the TM was bought by Frost. Currently most production is still in Germany, however a few items have been made in China.

Camillus
Nice looking knife Camillus! Love the look of bone stags.
Passionate about really awesome pocket knives...
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Mine says Germany ::shrug::

but considering who's holding the helm now your guess is as good as mine ::facepalm::

I will say that it is a pretty decent whittler for the $ spent ::tu::
Attachments
Buck Creek 005.JPG
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Camillus wrote:Brand BuckCreek Owner/TM Frost

Camillus
I like the looks of it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Kyboy18

Post by Kyboy18 »

Does anyone know how to date buck creeks knives by just apperance?
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I find Buck Creek knives interesting because we have a Buck Creek here that runs through multiple counties. My grandchildren play at Buck Creek Park near their home.

Avoid the celluloids.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I have a Buck Creek trapper. It's a nice looking knife but I have doubts as to where it's made.
It says German of the box but does not say it's made there.
Attachments
back side tang stamp.jpg
Buck Creek Trapper.jpg
Buck Creek shield and tang stamp.jpg
buck creek box.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I have three Buck Creek knives. Two whittlers and half congress. The two with the cracked ice handles are in carbon steel and the red handled knife is stainless. What I find different is that the stainless knife says Germany stainless and the carbon knives say German Carbon Steel. All three have the master blades etched with Hand Made Germany. I believe all three are German made but who knows? ::shrug:: I think I bought these about 2005.
IMGP0001.JPG
IMGP0002.JPG
IMGP0003.JPG
IMGP0004.JPG
IMGP0005.JPG
IMGP0006.JPG

Return to “General Knife Discussion”