Harvest Time Knives!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
313 Mike

Re: Harvest Time Knives!!

Post by 313 Mike »

Those blackberries look outstanding Scott, love 'em! Here are the first edibles out of my garden this year, had to thin out the radishes a bit. Tiny, but tasty, now the others have room to grow.
Attachments
20190518_195926.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Fresh radishes sound good Mike!
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Pic of the garden last week. Ground is wet from all the rain. It was about dried out and now its rained again and suppose to rain all next week.
Attachments
IMG_6120.JPG
David
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Got a few pictures of the garden's progress. The raised beds are doing well, been getting a few straight necked yellow squash. Planted Purple Hull southern peas last Thursday and they are already coming up. 4 days after planting and already showing 2 leaves. Good seed, the right soil temperature and of course good moisture always amazes me when your gone for a few days and when you get back you can see the new plants in the rows from one end to the other! ::tu::
Treefarmer
Plant in the raised beds are doing well
Plant in the raised beds are doing well
Clipping a Straight Neck Squash with a stainless Camillus stockman that has a MoorMan etch.
Clipping a Straight Neck Squash with a stainless Camillus stockman that has a MoorMan etch.
These peas were planted last Thursday, 5/16/19.
These peas were planted last Thursday, 5/16/19.
We have started to downsize our gardens, gettin' to old for all that fun work.
We have started to downsize our gardens, gettin' to old for all that fun work.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

A little late, but the garden is in.
This is our first gardening attempt, so we went easy with the containers. Three of each: Big Boy tomatoes, Sweet Candy Apple sweet peppers, and Ring Leader jalapenos.
If it goes well, we'll do six containers next year.
The Leatherman was issued to us guys on the flight line back around '97, '98.
20190601_151809.jpg
20190601_143842.jpg
20190601_135711.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Steve, that's a new one on me. Had to look up Nutrient Patch, very interesting. ::nod:: Can't beat the home grown tomatoes and peppers.
Our last rain was on Mother's Day and things are getting very dry. Today we were blessed with a wonderful shower around 2:30 this afternoon. At 1:30 it was 94 degrees, at 2:30 the temperature had dropped to 75, lots of wind then the wonderful 0.8" of rain!
Things are growing, Sweet Banana peppers and Bell peppers are doing well. Jalapeno is beginning to bloom. Tomatoes acted like a sail and had to be stood back up. The wind blew hard enough to move the stakes and the cages. The peas are doing well also. A few pictures to show what's happening at Starvation Plantation:
Wonderful, welcome rain shower this afternoon!
Wonderful, welcome rain shower this afternoon!
Sweet Banana peppers for making pickled peppers, stuffing with venison sausage and cream cheese and used fresh in salads.
Sweet Banana peppers for making pickled peppers, stuffing with venison sausage and cream cheese and used fresh in salads.
Market More cukes for lime pickles and salads.  Growing them on a trellis made from cattle panels for the 1st time.
Market More cukes for lime pickles and salads. Growing them on a trellis made from cattle panels for the 1st time.
The tomatoes were vertical before this afternoon's little storm.
The tomatoes were vertical before this afternoon's little storm.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Coming right along there, Treefarmer.

The nutrient patch is part of a Grow Box kit.
www.agardenpatch.com
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Nice set up Steve, those raised boxes should make it easy to maintain your crops as they grow, looking forward to seeing how they progress!
Phillip glad to see you got some much needed rain. I have watched a few YouTube videos on using cattle panels to make an arch style trellis, and was really tempted to give it a try! Maybe next year
Mike

DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Some fresh radishes.
Attachments
IMG_6427.JPG
David
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very cool photos, fellows!
Mel
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Lincoln Peas finally taking off, planted in April 1st, and my Dragon's Tongue Bush green beans pushing through having been planted one week ago.
Attachments
20190603_092449.jpg
20190603_092427.jpg
Mike

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Beautiful gardens guys! I loooove to garden myself. Just been way to sick with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome to do any these last few years.
To bad, kind of sad... :D
But looking at yours makes me feel all good inside. Wonderful stuff guys!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

313 Mike wrote:Lincoln Peas finally taking off, planted in April 1st, and my Dragon's Tongue Bush green beans pushing through having been planted one week ago.
Hey Mike,

So straw to keep weeds down and retain moisture I assume?
I planted my first garden in several years in last couple weeks. I have a seed bed going along with some starter plants.
We have a couple of rabbits here that were pets and escaped a few years ago. Those two were oddly joined by a stray rabbit. They hang out and chase each other around and are a joy to watch. So I had to rabbit proof everything by which took some time. The cages double as trellis support for vining stuff. Have welded wire cages around my pepper and tomato plants and a chicken stuck his head through the 2" x 4" gaps and pecked my pepper plants pretty good first day but they will come back.
I always enjoyed this thread. First time posting.
Your gardens look great all.

Going to have my first attempt at canning this year also. Never done it.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for the comments Willy, good to hear from you Jerry!
Yeah, heavy straw mulch to retain moisture, keep the weeds down, and act as a.natural soil amendment as it slowly degrades and works into the earth. You gotta watch out for those bunnies, they can ruin the best laid plans real quick! In my experience they have never bothered my tomatoes, but beans, peas, pepper plants most definitely.
Post up some pics when you get the chance, would live to see your set up.
Mike

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

313 Mike wrote:Thanks for the comments Willy, good to hear from you Jerry!
Yeah, heavy straw mulch to retain moisture, keep the weeds down, and act as a.natural soil amendment as it slowly degrades and works into the earth. You gotta watch out for those bunnies, they can ruin the best laid plans real quick! In my experience they have never bothered my tomatoes, but beans, peas, pepper plants most definitely.
Post up some pics when you get the chance, would live to see your set up.
Glad to hear from you also Mike. I hope life finds you and yours well. Will like do the straw in my seed patch.
I planted seeds Memorial weekend. Weather has been odd here. We had a cold snap a couple of weeks ago and it has been raining more than usual. Supposed to be upper 80s next two days and low of 36 on Friday and Saturday. Been up and down like that but appears the warm weather is upon us locally soon.
Seed bed is 120 square feet. Beets, radishes, bush beans, bush peas and climbing peas, cucumbers (for my first pickle canning attempt) and corn. I have some 7 foot pieces if rebar I will pound in when the vining stuff sprouts. Then I use construction string or wire and run between the 2 pieces of rebar and viola, instant trellis.
I have six different peppers planted, all of the screaming hot on the Scofield scale with jalapeno s be mildest heat. Those have 2 foot high ring of "utility or welded" wire for rabbit and chicken be protection. Various tomato variety/ fruit sizes, 7 total. 5 in ground and two determinate type in containers. I have two tomato left to container plant. Also, two cucumbers (which includes a lemon cucumber, which I love). Will likely wait till next week for the two cucumber plants in case the cold snap this weekend wipes them out.
I also created some "tree rings" with that thick plastic bender board, some screws and stakes.
I use them for my vegetable garden where you see the tomatoes and peppers in the pics. Also around all my trees and most shrubs I plant. For a buck or two per plant or tree, saves me from constant digging water basins around plants/ trees from "watering erosion" and allows more water for the plants and less runoff.

Still have lots of space to plant, close to an acre if I really wanted but I will start small for now

Jerry
Attachments
IMG_20190603_172021332_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190603_172108199_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190603_172126204_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190603_172131330_HDR.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Pretty impressive set up Jerry, I like it. Your tomato and pepper cages look really solid, way better than those cheap wire cages that are so flimsy and way too short. I have always been a cage guy too, but this year for the first time I am using stakes, and am going to try to prune the plants to one main stem and allow them to breath a little. I got 8 foot furring strips and shaped one end into a point and hammered them in next to my seedlings. The peppers all have shorter stakes and chicken wire cages around each individual plant.
I am a fan of the super hots too, this year I have the following chilies growing:
--Naga Orange Bubblegum, which is a cross between a Naga and a 7 Pot Bubblegum, and can grow to four feet tall.
---Chocolate Bhutlah, which is a cross between a Bhut Jolokia a 7 Pot Douglah, and an unknown chocolate variety, and can also grow to four feet tall.
---Carbonero Orange, which is a cross between a Bhut Carbon, 7 Pot yellow and an orange habanero, also grows to four feet.
---And my favorite standby, regular Chocolate Habanero

For tomatoes I am growing Brandywine, Green Zebra, Mexico Midget, German Giant, Lilian's Yellow, and since those are all long season heirlooms, I also planted an Early Girl to get me some early season fruit!.

Then I have a couple kinds of Bush bean, peas, melons and mini pumpkins going, as well as some herbs, and a bunch of flowery stuff and native Wisconsin perrenials too.
Fun stuff, gotta love growing things...
Mike

zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Mike. I also use tent stakes on the cages due to constant wind here and will just cut some larger squares on the 4 foot high wire cages to harvest if needed.
Wow, some hot peppers you are growing there. I bought plants from Bonnie since I started late so more exotic varieties are hard to come by. As far as peppers, I am doing Mammoth Jalapeno, Habenero, Anaheim (not real hot of course), Dragon Cayenne, Fresno and Cowhorn. Most people I will share my bounty with, the ones I listed are likely way too hot.

Love doing zucchini but squash bugs are horrendous here but likely have been fine since it has been a few years since last garden and they winter over here. Just would need to figure out the rabbit proof on those. Maybe next year.

Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

BTW Mike I was in Hermosillo Mexico about a year ago. Went to a Buffalo Chicken Wings joint there. Told them I wanted the hottest wings they had. They were pretty warm and very good.
I finished them off and asked the guy mentioning they were good. Whether or not factual, I guess the were seasoned with Ghost Peppers. That is what he said. Good stuff.

Jerry
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I used those flimsy wire cages for a couple of years and decided I needed something a little more substantial.

Homemade. Works great.
Attachments
Tomato Cage (5-20-16).jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Jerry, ghost peppers are one of my favorites, real slow burn, creeps up on ya slowly. I like them in a sauce with chipotle for the smokey slow burn

Other Jerry, that is one rock solid tomato tower you have there! What kind of tomato plant do you have in there?

Last of the radishes have been pulled.
Attachments
20190526_074327.jpg
Mike

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

313 Mike wrote:Other Jerry, that is one rock solid tomato tower you have there! What kind of tomato plant do you have in there?
I think it was Pink Lady but don't quote me on that. Grew up and over the top of the cage and it's 6' tall. I didn't grow any last year and none again this year. I've lost my enthusiasm. These back issues just take the "wanna" right out of me.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

jerryd6818 wrote:
313 Mike wrote:Other Jerry, that is one rock solid tomato tower you have there! What kind of tomato plant do you have in there?
I think it was Pink Lady but don't quote me on that. Grew up and over the top of the cage and it's 6' tall. I didn't grow any last year and none again this year. I've lost my enthusiasm. These back issues just take the "wanna" right out of me.
Hey JerryD,

Sorry to hear your back is bothering you. Get well soon.

Nice looking radishes Mike. Are they "Cherry Bell"?

Jerry
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

zp4ja wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
313 Mike wrote:.

Nice looking radishes Mike. Are they "Cherry Bell"?

Jerry
Yes they are Cherry Bell. I planted a different variety called watermelon radish, and they were a bust. Lots of leaves but a tiny tough bitter little radish end. The cherry bells are always a winner though
Mike

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

313 Mike wrote:Pretty impressive set up Jerry, I like it. Your tomato and pepper cages look really solid, way better than those cheap wire cages that are so flimsy and way too short. I have always been a cage guy too, but this year for the first time I am using stakes, and am going to try to prune the plants to one main stem and allow them to breath a little. I got 8 foot furring strips and shaped one end into a point and hammered them in next to my seedlings. The peppers all have shorter stakes and chicken wire cages around each individual plant.
I am a fan of the super hots too, this year I have the following chilies growing:
--Naga Orange Bubblegum, which is a cross between a Naga and a 7 Pot Bubblegum, and can grow to four feet tall.
---Chocolate Bhutlah, which is a cross between a Bhut Jolokia a 7 Pot Douglah, and an unknown chocolate variety, and can also grow to four feet tall.
---Carbonero Orange, which is a cross between a Bhut Carbon, 7 Pot yellow and an orange habanero, also grows to four feet.
---And my favorite standby, regular Chocolate Habanero

For tomatoes I am growing Brandywine, Green Zebra, Mexico Midget, German Giant, Lilian's Yellow, and since those are all long season heirlooms, I also planted an Early Girl to get me some early season fruit!.

Then I have a couple kinds of Bush bean, peas, melons and mini pumpkins going, as well as some herbs, and a bunch of flowery stuff and native Wisconsin perrenials too.
Fun stuff, gotta love growing things...
313 Mike. We are into winter here, so no tomato growing, but will start germinating seeds in about 6-8 weeks time. Most of my seed selection is one that you mentioned. Green Zebra-they are the tastiest tomatoes in my humble opinion, and an added bonus is the birds leave them alone. Curious about Early Girl, have not heard of them before. Have a good day and growing season. :D
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

All my seeds are coming up. Of course, tonight is expected to be 32 degrees with wind chill of 26.
10% chance of frost here 1st week of June. Will likely be latest frost I have ever seen her in over 20 years since I have lived here. It is what it is.
Gotta see what I can do to try to offer some protection.

Jerry

Return to “General Knife Discussion”