Harvest Time Knives!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Steve Warden

Re: Harvest Time Knives!!

Post by Steve Warden »

313 Mike wrote:
Steve Warden wrote:That's a hefty hab there Mike!
Whatcha gonna do with it?
Sauce? Salsa?
Thanks Steve. That particular habby is destined for the salsa jar. Love the slow burn and flavor of the chocolate habanero.
Not sure if I've ever had a chocolate habanero, but I do love a good habanero sauce! Not in just for the heat; its gotta have flavor.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Cukes coming on
Attachments
WP_20190722_030.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Ivoryman, that cuke looks great, sure would like to have 7 pounds of them to make lime pickles. Our recipe makes about 5 quarts with 7 pounds. ::tu::
jerryd6818 wrote:Philip, did you ever plant any Cushaw squash?
Jerry you sent us some Cushaw seeds several years ago after you showed us what a real Cushaw was supposed to look. Mother called the little "Seminole Pumpkins" Cushaws because of the shape. Seems like we planted and the seed and everything got washed away in one of the big rain events.
The pumpkins we planted are beginning to grow, we've hoed and disked up all the volunteer Purple Hull pea sprouts, just hoping they will mature before 1st frost. There are about 20 hills planted in two 100 foot long rows. This is how they look this evening:
These pumpkins were planted on August 13, there are about 20 hills like this.  That's my ol' faithful Queen #49 stuck in the dirt.
These pumpkins were planted on August 13, there are about 20 hills like this. That's my ol' faithful Queen #49 stuck in the dirt.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

It will be interesting to see oif you can get those Cushaw to grow before your "winter" settles in Phillip!
Here is a Lillian's Yellow heirloom tomato I just picked this morning. My tomato plants are reluctant to give up their fruits this year, lots of green unripe ones hanging on still...but when they do turn, they are big and tasty.
This one is about 1 3/4 lbs.
Also picked these Golden Jenny melons. Similar to a mini cantaloupe.
Attachments
20190901_075929.jpg
20190901_081247.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Mike, do y'all eat "mater" sandwiches up there in the that north country of Wisconsin? ::skeptic:: That big ol' tomato ought to make enough sandwiches to feed the whole family! ::tu:: 'Course you got to have a fresh loaf of light bread and Duke's Mayonnaise for them to be just right.
Back a few years, we had a frost on October 6th, you never know, just like where the hurricanes will eventually go. Maybe they will make it.
Treefarmer

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

treefarmer wrote:Mike, do y'all eat "mater" sandwiches up there in the that north country of Wisconsin? ::skeptic::
Treefarmer
You know it Phillip!
A garden fresh Mater sandwich is one of my favorite concoctions ever. I blend some habaneros into my mayo for a little extra zing!
This one was made with a Green Zebra tomato a week or so ago. And of course with this being Wisconsin, I just gotta add a thin slice of Cheddar too....
Attachments
IMG_20190820_100553_612.jpg
Mike

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

313 Mike wrote:
treefarmer wrote:Mike, do y'all eat "mater" sandwiches up there in the that north country of Wisconsin? ::skeptic::
Treefarmer
You know it Phillip!
A garden fresh Mater sandwich is one of my favorite concoctions ever. I blend some habaneros into my mayo for a little extra zing!
This one was made with a Green Zebra tomato a week or so ago. And of course with this being Wisconsin, I just gotta add a thin slice of Cheddar too....

::tu:: ::tu:: ::woot::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice photos, Ivoryman, Treefarmer, and Mike! Just seeing that tomato sandwich makes me ready for lunch.

Nothing left to harvest in my little garden other than Rosemary, sage, and Basil.
Attachments
Rosemary and Queen
Rosemary and Queen
Mel
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Dinadan, I like your S&M Sheep foot 1/2 whit there, and that bone is great. Is that Italian Jigged bone? Very cool jigging and color.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Ivoryman wrote:Thanks Dinadan, I like your S&M Sheep foot 1/2 whit there, and that bone is great. Is that Italian Jigged bone? Very cool jigging and color.
Thanks! Yes, it is Italian jigging. I got that little knife a couple of years ago at a very reasonable price and sharpened it up and used it. I have always liked sheep foot blades. I hate the way things have gone with Queen since then. That Wharncliffe of yours was also made by Queen, was it not?
Mel
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Know what you mean. I have this Sheep foot whit from Queen/S&M, but the one above is a Tim Britton, BG-42 steel, India stag. This S&M is from 2005 and flawless, such smooth action, great snap. Probably like yours. Great bones you have though.
Attachments
WP_20180703_011.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Heirloom tomatoes coming along...German Giant, Brandywine, Lillian's Yellow, Green Zebra, and a couple Jamaican Red peppers as well
Attachments
20190910_090308.jpg
Mike

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Mike, those different varieties of tomatoes are mighty fine looking. Tomatoes have a tough time in our part of the world. The tomato growers build soil beds with a tractor, then the bed is sealed with a plastic cover that eliminates weeds and hold the fumigant that controls soil born diseases and critters. Transplants are planted through the plastic. Some of the big farms use drip irrigation and the plastic must help hold the moisture. All this to say it's very expensive to grow a just an acre of good tomatoes. But in the end, nothing beats a good home grown tomato!

The pumpkins we planted about a month ago are beginning to "lay down and run", we've had to water them a bit as we've had no measurable rainfall in 18 days. :( This is the same plant we showed 15 days ago:
Check out the Queen #19 hiding under the punkin' plant.
Check out the Queen #19 hiding under the punkin' plant.
Treefarmer

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Looks like your pumpkin is starting to take off...but man that soil looks dry! Surprised it is growing at all, must be a strain that is meant for your location. At least you dont have any weeds!
Mike

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That S&M is a beauty, Ivoryman. Some very nice detailing with the double threads on the bolsters, silver shield, and long pull.
treefarmer wrote: All this to say it's very expensive to grow a just an acre of good tomatoes. But in the end, nothing beats a good home grown tomato!
Treefarmer
I have a hard time just growing two or three tomato plants, never mind an acre. Actually, the plants grow just fine, but the tomatoes attract too many predators.

The soil is dry in my area also. But on the positive side, my grass is barely growing at all so the lawn mower is getting a break.
Mel
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Getting towards the end now, warm temps this week should extend the harvest a bit. Last of the beans picked, peppers still producing.
Attachments
20190919_091647.jpg
Mike

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Mike, what kind of beans are those? Do you shell them out? Never shelled out any beans just southern peas. They're all probably related. ::hmm::
Our pumpkins are still growing. It has been way too dry, have to water them every day or so. Watering just doesn't compare to a good natural rain shower. Found my 1st bloom and tiny little pumpkin this morning, maybe they'll make before frost (if we have one).
Still growing
Still growing
1st little pumpkin on the vines.
1st little pumpkin on the vines.
Treefarmer

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Yep, Philip, those beans are for drying and shelling, will use for soup or baked beans. Hope your pumpkin plant hold in long enough to produce for ya!
Here are the last of my carrots, not many, but still tasty. Knife is a stag handled GEC 66 jack.
Attachments
20190928_123806.jpg
Mike

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Down to the last gasp in the garden. Miss Joy gathered a sack full of Bell Peppers and stuffed a half dozen of the larger ones. She then sliced up most the remaining ones and we vacuumed sealed them for the freezer. She left another batch to stuff. This late in the season the peppers don't achieve the size they do earlier in the season.
Ready for the freezer to be used in soups, chili and stews.
Ready for the freezer to be used in soups, chili and stews.
Treefarmer

woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Very nice looking Bell Peppers. I can eat them with a salt shaker right out of the garden. 6 degrees tonight here in Southeast Missouri. Happy Veterans day Treefarmer. Thank you for your service! :)
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Dang Phillip you have a good stash of peeps laid in now. Always a little sad to see the garden season end, not grateful for the harvest!
Mike

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

313 Mike wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:47 pm Yep, Philip, those beans are for drying and shelling, will use for soup or baked beans. Hope your pumpkin plant hold in long enough to produce for ya!
Here are the last of my carrots, not many, but still tasty. Knife is a stag handled GEC 66 jack.
Love the photo, knife and veggies!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
TPK

Post by TPK »

Picked up these two Imperial Irland knives on the bay. Should be great for garden work next season. Will give them a light cleaning & the single blade could stand to be sharpend. Any tips on sharpening these hawkbills appreciated. ::tu:: The single blade locks & on the 3 blade, the electricians blade locks.
Attachments
P_20191117_170659.jpg
P_20191117_170430.jpg
P_20191117_170516.jpg
P_20191117_170815.jpg
P_20191117_171023.jpg
P_20191117_171458.jpg
P_20191117_171045.jpg
P_20191117_172414.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:58 pm Picked up these two Imperial Irland knives on the bay. Should be great for garden work next season. Will give them a light cleaning & the single blade could stand to be sharpend. Any tips on sharpening these hawkbills appreciated. ::tu:: The single blade locks & on the 3 blade, the electricians blade locks.
Tom, a very nice l@@king pair of knives. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:11 pm
TPK wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:58 pm Picked up these two Imperial Irland knives on the bay. Should be great for garden work next season. Will give them a light cleaning & the single blade could stand to be sharpend. Any tips on sharpening these hawkbills appreciated. ::tu:: The single blade locks & on the 3 blade, the electricians blade locks.
Tom, a very nice l@@king pair of knives. ::tu::
Thanks Skip! They are "growing on me". :mrgreen: So I posted them here. :mrgreen:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”