Pa Knives (what IS that knife on your ID?)

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

HEY, I guessed it was made in New York, but Cat's came from Pa orginally. So I should wind something too!!!!!! :lol:
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
mypepsi5

Post by mypepsi5 »

Now here's another question about that knife, or rather the maker. What would the markings be on a knife made by that company? Or isn't it as simple as that? I know I must sound pretty dumb about these things, but I HAVE learned a lot since I started my quest. Its just there is SO MUCH to know, and even though I already know more than my husband :wink: it still isn't enough to catch up to you guys. :?
Deb
Can I use this knife to cut butter? :)
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hi Deb,

For me, the biggest giveaway on this knife (without seeing the tang) would be the bone handle (color / jigging). I tried to find a good picture of a Cattaraugus tang stamp, but the attached is the best I could come up with... This one is the most common you will see. It has Cattaraugus in an arch. The next most common would have the Cattaraugus name in a straight line.

Bryan
Attachments
catt_tang_stamp.jpg
catt_tang_stamp.jpg (21.74 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

HEY PEOPLE!

If your looking for a great old collectable knife, this company is a stand out. I have visited the old factory area a couple of times. This region is really rich in cutlery history. Old Cat knives are increasing in value considerably. Many patterns to chose from and not super hard to find, but getting there. I suggest you look at some books that are just on CAT's. There are several variations on the tang stamps and the handles are always gorgeous.

AS you can tell people I am trying to convince her to get into the old time stuff like me. :oops: There is just something about this old knives that gets my blood going. The quality is always top knotch. ::tu:: This is a great place to ask questions about them. EBAY is a good source to view many knives and get a feel for their prices. Remember that there are new CAT's too, from Arkansas. Great quality but not orginal old time knives. Byran has a great section on this site that gives links and history on these company. He always has help for us. Now if I could just get him to realize that PA knives are by far the best :D HA HA HHA HA

OK I'm done on this one.
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
mypepsi5

Post by mypepsi5 »

Well thank you gentlemen! I will be sure to look out for these knives when I'm snooping through some sales. I know what PA Knives means about the old ones though. You can almost feel the history in them. You might think I'm silly, but I always wonder who owned them. What they were used for--did the owner take them to different places. Was the knife carried in a war, was it given to them by a favorite relative? Okay, enough rambling--just wanted to say thanks for the lesson!
Deb
Can I use this knife to cut butter? :)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”