Advice on a pattern to start collecting with

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Little Lee

Advice on a pattern to start collecting with

Post by Little Lee »

Hi Every One, I'm new here and new to collecting pocket knives, I'm a 58 year old Disabled Veteran and would like to start to collect Case knives. But I'm on a very limited budget and was hoping someone could suggest a pattern I could start with that could be do able with my limited budget. :oops:

I at one time was a wood carver and I really like the Wharncliff type blade, is there any way to incorporate this into my collection? Are the Seahorse Whittler, a very expense way to go? I know most of you think they are ugly, but I guess you have never seen my first date. :shock:

Thanks, Little Lee ::tu::
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Hi Lil Lee,

I am doing this on a small scale myself. And new to the hobby. So far Ive seen that Sod Busters can be bought cheaply. Another would be Toothpicks maybe, but my choice would be the Peanut I think if I were to do one brand/type of knife. Lots of choices and interesting items in that #20 pattern. I have three nuts right now. I almost got a 5 blade that is called a BigNut I think.
A Scripto Vu-Lighter Collector
Come by and visit
Hawke's Trading Post
Hawke's Boker Notes
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hi Little Lee,

Welcome to the forums. If you are on the fence about the seahorse, check out this website...
http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/rod/knives/case/seahorse.html

That pattern has a pretty good following. They may be a little more expensive than some other patterns, but... If you like them, it would be well worth saving a little longer to get what you want, even if it means having less of them. It's great to see more people getting into this hobby. I think you will like it. Welcome aboard!

Bryan
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

A little advice from someone who has been there and back again. Quality verses quanity is by far the most important thing in knives. If you like the CASE seahorse then by all means. Go for mint knives, get a collection of all the handle materials and variations. At this time you can get them for retail or less and as a collection they will garner more value quicker. BUT don't think that you can retire early on your investment. Collecting for short term investment is a whole other ball game. If you are doing it becuase you love knives and don't want to waste your money, then proceed as you have indicated. You will be very happy. Bryan's advice and web site services are second to none. WELCOME. Let us see a photo of your collection as it grows.
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
steve

Post by steve »

hi lee and everyone,

theres some great advice here! i thought i would throw in my 2 cents worth...lol. anyway, i too like you lee, fell in love with collecting case knives and at first, i didnt really know which way i wanted to take my would be collection because there just seems to be something about just about every case pattern that i like. anyway, this is what i did. after getting a few, i have decided that i enjoy collecting older knives best. i dont have a very big collection yet and like you and alot of other collectors, i am limited in what i can budget for the hobby but i currently have about 15 case knives in my collection and the newest knife i have is a 1995 case appaloosa bone canoe. all the others are older....40s thru 80s, but as someone earlier said, quality is alot better than quanity and although i dont have many, i am proud of the ones i do have. so what i do, is keep my eyes open for any older ones that i can find that are in mint to near mint condition or sometimes very good to excellent condition and buy those and add them.

i can say honestly that i dont have one in my collection that i dont like....lol. anyway, i know alot of people just collect certain patterns and nothing wrong with that, just thought i would share how i started and how i decided on what i would collect. anyway, hope this helps and im sure what ever you decide to collect, you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us.

thanks,
steve
Little Lee

Thank every one

Post by Little Lee »

Thanks All,

I had also considered the peanut, but there seem to be so many that I didn't think I could but a dent into them. :roll: Also considered the senators, they still are on the list. The Seahorses with the the Wharncliff blade that I fell in love with well I was carving, seem like the most likly to make it. :P

When I collect any thing, the last thing on my mine is making a profit on the resale, if I do I do, :) I would like to brake even, :wink: but I also know that is not alway possible. :( I just want to enjoy myself and forget about the problems in my life.

Thanks all again, Little Lee

Return to “General Knife Discussion”