Eye Brand

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
longbeachbum

Eye Brand

Post by longbeachbum »

Does anyone know anything about Eye Brand knives or have an opinion? I was reading about them today, and evidently the blades are hammer forged instead of cold stamped.

All else being equal, does this make a big difference? What I've read suggests that hammer forged blades have better edge retention.

My impression about these knives from the little I've read is that the fit and finish is marginal, but the blade steel is excellent, making them ideal users as opposed to collectors. I note also they are not cheap.

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I'm considering getting one.

Regards,

Jim
steve

Post by steve »

hey,

well, i dont know alot about them other than i think they are german made. my father inlaw has one. its a yellow handled eye brand canoe. its missing the shield, but he carries and uses it. he seems to like it pretty good.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Jim,

I always have an opinion.... :mrgreen:
It just might not be worth a hoot. :roll:

I have only a '70s "fake" Bowie style hunting knife made by Carl Schlieper (Eye Brand) in Solingen, that looks exactly like about 5 million other German-made imported knives from that time......(sigh) :oops: .

My experience with the Eye brand slip joints is limited to handling them at a gun show or two. From that I'd say they are using a carbon steel similar to what Fight'n Roosters use (1075, 1084, 1095.....whatever). To me, they looked a notch below F/R in fit and finish....more like Bulldog....but better than many knives out there.

Since Bryan doesn't appear to sell these, I'll post this link.....

http://www.cuttersandcollectors.com/eyebrand.html

Bryan, if this is wrong I do apologize.....and please remove it.

Otherwise, Ron Ryder is a fellow I've dealt with quite a few times. He's a moderator at a couple of forums, sheathmaker, and a straight shooter (former gunsmith...pun intended). ::tu::
You could email him with questions.

Not much help....but I'm running (OK, a medium walk) with it.

Bill

Edited for clarity...and misspelling SOLINGEN.....jeeeeez :oops:
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hey Bill,

Don't ever hesitate to post my competitor's website links! This is neutral grounds here. The more options we find for buying knives, selling knives, discussing knives, whatever... the better imo ::tu:: AAPK will fit in somewhere. :D I wish I could contribute to this discussion, but I know nothing about Eye Brand...

Bryan
Blademan44

Post by Blademan44 »

I have 2 Eye Brand knives one dated between 1960's-1070's it's a Pearl Trapper(no shield)it is a top notch knife. Fit and finish is super and the Pearl is out standing.
The other Eye Brand I have is a estimated date of 1979(possibily dated less
than that), it is a Jumbo Stag Trapper with awsome stag. Fit and finish on this one is top notch as well. These are in my display case and will be handed down to my daughter.
But I love the older Eye Brand knives. I don't have a camera to post pics but I will try to post a webcam pic after church tomorrow if i can get a good shot of the two.

Blademan44.
longbeachbum

Post by longbeachbum »

Thanks for the info!
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Here's a fairly informative page on the German Eye knives.
HTH
A Scripto Vu-Lighter Collector
Come by and visit
Hawke's Trading Post
Hawke's Boker Notes

Return to “General Knife Discussion”