Will Knives Fold?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
D.P. Hunter

Re: Will Knives Fold?

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Phil,

Thanks for putting a sticky on this article - I agree with you - it is something all knife lovers should read and be aware of. As a NYer, I was definitely effected by Cyrus Vance's bullspit actions, and was enraged by them. Under Vance's interpretation of the law - a swiss army knife is illegal to carry. I don't know what could be more ridiculous than that.

Every household in America has knives in it - maybe we should outlaw kitchen knives while we are at it. Forks are dangerous too. Soon all Americans will be forced to eat from baby bottles and eliminate any kind of pointy tool from all households. That's the direction this is headed in folks. These guys probably want to our teeth removed.

Holy crap do I get reved up when I think about this.

When I was a kid carrying a pocket knife was an acceptable practice - kids now a-days are forbidden to carry them. Generations will grow up thinking knives are bad because of this - I can only imagine what that will lead to.

I would continue - but I think I'm preaching to the choir here.
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I urge all of you to join Knife Rights: http://www.kniferights.org/
Knife Rights has been fighting DA Vance and NYC political machine over this issue. I am a member and I urge everyone who values his or her right to carry a knife to join. For a mere $32 per year you can help fight for knife rights across the USA! If you go to the hone page (link above) you can read about victories Knife Rights have been an important part of in Florida, Nevada and the bills to repeal the Pennsylvania and Indiana ban on switchblades.

Read about the Knife Preemption Bill signed into law by the governors of Arizona, Utah and New Hampshire. The Knife Preemption bills passed in these states; “…prevents the creation of, or eliminates, a patchwork of ordinances and rules which serve to confuse or entrap those traveling within or through the state. A person traveling in a state without preemption laws could be charged with a violation of local law when they have no intention of violating the law. Preemption ensures citizens only have to know and abide by state law.”
This is a proactive step we can all take to protect our knife rights even before they come under attack and make it much harder for Anti-Knife groups to take away our Knife Rights!

For the price of one used knife, $35, you can help protect your entire collection. If you show at knife shows, they have acrylic tabletop signs to display on your table so people will know you support our individual knife rights. Here is the link to the page to join: http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... &Itemid=39

Knife Rights was instrumental in getting the Federal Switchblade Ban amended to EXCLUDE assisted-opening and one-handed opening knives. This stopped the US Customs pocketknife grab!
Read about that here: http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... 8&Itemid=1

If you are a collector or just a person who likes to carry a pocketknife, I think it is in your own best interests to support Knife Rights. Even if you cannot afford the $32 to join right now, you can be aware of knife issues and use the links on their website to send messages to politicians around the USA. After all, an email does not tell a politician where you live. You can email politicians in every state. If we all stand together they cannot get our knives, or guns for that matter. However, I am convinced that if they can pass laws banning knives, they will then try for guns. When we loose those rights it is only a matter of time until we become subjects of the government and not citizens!

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." --Patrick Henry, speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1778
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
heavychevy90

Post by heavychevy90 »

Wow Im really glad I read that! I always suppose I kinda knew alot of that just never had it put into perspective and all the imfo put together kinda makes me worry.
ConservativeKnives

Post by ConservativeKnives »

Thanks for sharing that Jerry. This is a protectionist culture we live in, and many of the left-leaning(or jumping, for that matter) politicians want to model the USA after the UN and the ever so successful Europeans. Hollywood really does control the mind of Americans. Unless you live out in the boonies, their influence is all around us. I urge everyone to exercise their 2nd amendment freedoms, because a right that isn't exercised will soon go away.
CK

Get rhythm...when you get the blues.

Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
krayzzpat

Post by krayzzpat »

Just to add to this not sure if everyone know this or not but If you obtain a domestic violence or battery conviction your rights to ANY firearm, bows, crossbows and NOW knives have came under attack. In a nutshell you basicly lose your knife rights as well and in some limited compacity the knife lenght is what sticks to you, meaning your knive collection CANNOT be of a certain lenght and limited to only folding knives NO fixed blades. Sad, Sad world that we give up these rights silently and without a good fight but its the midnight legislation that does it to us, or at least that is the rules in Wv.
williamcrane

Post by williamcrane »

The United Kingdom has a program called "knives take lives." While over there a couple of times last year I watch half hour programs on how dangerous knives were.
Bill Crane
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is an interesting article that appeared in today's St. Louis Post Dispatch. I don't know how long the link will work:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 634db.html
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

In that case, maybe we should post the article here for posterity.

Pocket knife sales soar on renewed popularity
CJ Budk.jpg
CJ Buck (left), the president of Buck Knives, chats with former St. Louis football Cardinals tight end Jackie Smith at the NRA Annual Meeting and Exhibit on Saturday, April 14, 2012. Buck, the fourth generation of Bucks in the company founded in 1902, is the great-grandson of the founder of the company, H.H. Buck. Photo by Christian Gooden, cgooden@post-dispatch.com

By MICHAEL D. SORKIN msorkin@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8347

Americans are walking around with more knives in their pockets, although not for the same reasons they are rushing to buy guns.
Scouts, hunters and anglers, collectors and office workers who just want a tool for opening packages are boosting pocket knife sales. For a decade, airline safety rules and the Great Recession had cut into sales.

After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, airplane passengers accustomed to traveling with a pocket knife found that they had to leave it in checked luggage. Even then, TSA agents sometimes confiscate a blade.

Sales now are rebounding, due partly to a growing desire for preparedness in the aftermath of disasters such as the Joplin tornado and Hurricane Sandy.

In Missouri, sales got an additional boost this year when the state legalized certain knives.

In July, Gov. Jay Nixon signed a law repealing the ban on possession, sale and manufacture of switchblade knives. A switchblade snaps open with the push of a button.

Now, just about anyone can legally own a switchblade under Missouri law. (But check with police to make sure switchblades are legal under local laws.)

After the state law change, customers flocked to stores to shop for switchblades, which had been banned for years. Some walked out with switchblades, which can cost $200 or more for top-of-the line models. Other, more frugal customers, bought less-expensive manual knives instead.

That has helped drive up sales of all types of knives by “a solid 10 to 15 percent,” said Al Rothweiler, one of the owners of Mid America Arms in south St. Louis County.

While Rothweiler also sells guns, he and others say that most knife buyers aren’t looking for a weapon.

“A knife is simply a very useful tool,” says Doug Ritter. He is founder of Knife Rights, a nonprofit he calls “the NRA for knife owners.” His organization worked with the National Rifle Association to legalize switchblades in Missouri.

“For a part of America, putting a knife in your pocket when you get up is simply a part of getting dressed,” says Ritter. “It’s like putting your keys in your pocket — it’s normal.”

WHO NEEDS 100 KNIVES?

Paul Beretta is among the most active collectors and has his own website, http://www.paulberetta.com. The retired computer programmer has more than 500 knives, mostly Spydercos. He has 70 versions of one model, the Kiwi.
“I collect knives I don’t use because they are pleasant and interesting to look at,” he explains.

He adds that, “Nobody needs a hundred shot glasses or thimbles, or a dozen beer company clocks on their wall.”

Those who claim their collections are investments are “either deluding themselves,” he says, “or just trying to placate their wife.”

Beretta is single.

Besides the beauty of design and the craftsmanship, a knife’s basic utility is what draws aficionados.

Jared Karlin, 30, a sign language interpreter in St. Louis, began collecting knives when he was about 12. He now has nearly three dozen fixed and folding blades for which he paid a total of about $5,000.

“I’m not carrying a knife as a weapon,” Karlin emphasized. “I carry it as a tool. I use it daily for some of the most mundane stuff you can imagine — from cleaning under my fingernails, to cutting open that blister pack from the big box store, to opening the mail. I’m always finding a use for it.”

He recently used his knife to help in an emergency.

He was driving with his mother in north St. Louis County and came upon a car that had crashed into an Interstate 270 barrier.

When an off-duty firefighter asked for something with which to pry open a car window, Karlin was ready. He handed over his Becker 3, a sturdy, 7-inch fixed blade used for prying doors and breaking glass. The firefighter broke open a window, cut the victim’s seat belt and pulled him from the car. The crash victim survived.

A favorite spot for collectors is GPKnives, 20 minutes from downtown St. Louis in Troy, Ill. It’s one of the few remaining brick-and-mortar stores in the U.S. where business is almost entirely in knives.

The store and its new warehouse are filled with scores of brands, including the Big Three for knife collectors: Chris Reeve, Strider and Hinderer. Prices range from $350 to more than $1,000.

Pricey collectibles sell out quickly and the store can’t keep them in stock.

“Guys who are really into knives are looking for the Holy Grail,” says co-owner and buyer Justin Payton.

Walk-in trade is a tiny part of sales today. Internet sales have taken over the knife business and account for more than 75 percent of sales at GP and other sellers.

Imports represent the other big change in the knife business. Chinese factories produce knives for as little as one-seventh the cost of American factories.

Imports allow consumers to buy modestly-priced production knives — at prices as low as $20 to $25 — based upon custom-made models costing hundreds of dollars more.

Imports also have cut deeply into the profits of U.S. manufacturers and retailers.

A.G. Russell, 79, is considered the dean of the knife business. He’s been a designer, manufacturer and retailer for 49 years and says he has watched his profit margin shrink each year.

“So what I’ve got to do is make knives of equal or better quality that sell for less money,” Russell says. “But at some point, I’ve got to raise the price.”

Russell invented a drink dispenser device before opening the A.G. Russell Knives in Rogers, Ark., “50 miles due south of Joplin.” He still has considerable walk-in business, coupled with Internet and catalog sales.

Sales, he says, are better now than at any time in five years.

“Because I think people are tired of sitting on their money and scared of what’s going to happen,” Russell adds.

That’s a common theme among knife people. They see knife sales increasing in parallel with guns.

Gun sales have jumped across the country on fears that President Barack Obama would try to restrict gun sales. He hasn’t, although the massacre of 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut has revived talk of gun control.

KNIFE CULTURE

Knife companies hark back to America’s past and often emphasize their patriotism and religion.
At Buck Knives in Post Falls, Idaho, business meetings open with a prayer. Each knife comes with literature that says: “From the beginning, management determined to make God the Senior Partner.”

At the giant National Rifle Association convention held in St. Louis last April, knife buyers lined up at the company’s exhibit, eager to have purchases autographed by CJ Buck, president of the company that bears his family’s iconic name.

The company was founded in 1902 by Buck’s great-grandfather. The Buck Model 110 has been so popular since its introduction in the 1960s that consumers sometimes call any brand of knife a “Buck.”

Buck reacted to customer criticism a few years ago by bringing back some manufacturing it had outsourced to China. Now, “Ninety to 95 percent of our new products every year are USA-made,” CJ Buck says.

Another prominent manufacturer is Spyderco, which Sal Glesser and his wife Gail started in 1976. The headquarters in Golden, Colo., sports a garrison-size, 20-foot by 30-foot American flag.

“We wanted something that would stir the spirit, not some dinky little flag,” Glesser says.

Spyderco shares royalties from one of its Sage models with research for Alzheimer’s disease. Part of the proceeds from another model go for cancer research and another goes to AIDS research. The company donates thousands of knives to soldiers and Marines stationed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“We’re not as profit-oriented” as many companies, Glesser says. Sales, he adds, have “grown steadily” since 2005.

Most knife companies are privately owned, like Spyderco, Buck and A.G. Russell. They don’t report sales figures.

Nationally, knife sales have increased steadily for two years, says Jan Billeb, executive director of the American Knife & Tool Institute, an industry group.

She points to the estimated 37 million hunters and anglers in the U.S. as one big reason.

“If you’re going hunting,” she says, “you can’t go without a knife.”

Not everyone likes knives.

The district attorney in New York City has taken aim at pocket knives. He has filed criminal charges against some people just for possessing a folding knife that can be opened with one hand.

Ritter’s Knife Rights organization has responded with an ongoing lawsuit against the prosecutor. Ritter says the arrests were unwarranted and that none of the knives had been used for any criminal activity.

But until the suit against the prosecutor is settled, most knife manufacturers and online retailers are refusing to ship their products to dealers or customers in New York City.

A favorite hangout for knife collectors is bladeforums.com
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Very interesting Jerry! It is good to hear that the knife industry in the US is recovering. In my opinion there are only three places where an american pattern pocket knife should be coming from: The USA, Solingen or Sheffield!
Meanwhile knives that can be opened with a single hand are banned in Germany too but I don´t care - I´ll take a slip joint at any time!
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
Harris74

Post by Harris74 »

WOW! Great read! Thanks for sharing this important article. My dad recently gave me a switch blade. Ive been collecting knives for 30 years, "since i was 9", ive never owned a switch blade, because here in Tn. Its a big no no. I never really knew exactly why it was a no no, until now. Thanks Hollywood!! After reading this article, and other info that i have inquired over the past few years, it would not surprise me one bit if eventually we will have to show ID and have a background check in order to purchase certain knives. Thats why i support the NRA and other pro-gun/knife entities.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Recently received this as email alert from AKTI (American Knife and Tool Institute) and thought it should be posted here. AKTI is a non-profit organization of knife makers and knife owners advocating for knife rights. For additional info go to http://www.akti.org and click on "more" under the alerts section (left side of home page, near the top) .

Ken

Call to Action Alert
Your Help is Needed This Week!
Interstate Transport of Knives
U.S. Senate Bill - S. 1955 "Knife Owner's Protection Act

(Forward to family, friends and other knife owners)
SUMMARY OF KNIFE LEGISLATION
Passage of the U.S. Senate bill S. 1955 Knife Owners' Protection Act (KOPA) will allow citizens to transport knives over state lines for lawful purposes, even when state or local restrictions would otherwise prohibit possession of that specific type of knife or length of blade.
Read more.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
It will solve the problem of trying to abide by a patchwork of different laws in each state (or towns in that state) that you travel through or to. This will eliminate the potential for being arrested for possession of a knife that is legal where you live.

What AKTI is Doing
The American Knife & Tool Institute worked with Senator Mike Enzi (WY) to get this solution introduced. It is similar to the federal Firearms Owners Protection Act. We continue to provide input and assistance to help this bill through the legislative process.

What You Need to Do Now !
Contact your Senators by phone, mail or email and respectfully ask them to support S. 1955 and to contact Sen. Enzi to be a co-sponsor.

AKTI is doing what we can, will you do your part?
For more information and detailed bill information visit our website at: AKTI Works to Permit Interstate Transport of Knives
American Knife & Tool Institute http://www.AKTI.org
Ensuring that Americans will always be able to make, buy, sell,
own, carry and use knives and edged tools.

American Knife & Tool Institute | 22 Vista View Ln | Cody | WY | 82414
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

As one who has carried a knife for close to ten years now, I've seen the laws most other countries have and it doesn't make sense. In England, any knife over three inches in length isn't OK. That means I'd be in jail, as I've carried fairly large tactical folders and folding hunters before. In some cities here in the US, it's illegal to carry a knife with a locking blade. That means I'd be in trouble right now if I lived in one of those cities, as the screwdriver blade on my Colonial TL-29 that I have in my pocket locks, in addition to about half the other knives I've carried over the years. I don't own any switchblades, so I guess I'm OK by Virginia and local laws. Luckily, assisted openings are not considered switchblades, as I have a Colonial Quick Flick.

I own a couple BB guns, and those things are usually considered toys to most people I know, but in a lot of countries, and a number of states here in the US, these things are controlled like firearms. Heck, last time I bought a can of airsoft BBs at Walmart, I had to get it "approved" by a cashier.

To me, knives are tools, and always have been. My grandfather and I both carry knives on the farm for opening cattle feed, cutting weed eater string, etc. They're especially tools when you carry a multi-tool like I usually do.

To quote something I've heard before, "Guns and knives don't kill people, people do". I don't own a firearm, but everyone I know owns at least one. I am very pro-second amendment.
guyprotection

Post by guyprotection »

I'm happy to be part of this community

thanks for the post jerry ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Howdy fellas, so good to have a little time to get back here and hear some real sensible talk again....spent so much time in Doc`s offices and hospitals this last year, fighting city traffic and hearing those damn boom boxes blare in the back of some teenagers cars that I was about to go zany. Thank God I don`t have to live in those cities where all that goes on and only have to go there now and then for my wife`s Doc`s appointments and thank God I`m a country Boy!

My granddad put his ole Remington .22 in my hand and told me to go get a couple squirrels for dinner back when I was 7 years old on my own!....would have been back in 1958. The previous year I shot my first raccoon out of a tree when I was 6....of course I wasn't on my own then, granddad and ole "Froggy Lee"(his best friend) was hunting and let me tag along. I`d been carrying a good western pocket knife since I was 5(and skinned my own game) and Dad bought me my first .410 shotgun when I was 10 and now...I`m wondering....what the heck has happened over the last 50 years!!!! Now days I suspect that both my granddad and my dad would have been thrown in jail for child abuse.....and I`d probably been put in some sterile foster home with no love, no care, no respect and most importantly no damn knowledge of what it really takes to raise a young man properly!

I thank all of you for chiming in here and raising hell about these dang politicians who were(mostly) raised with a sliver spoon in their mouth and who don`t have a clue about anything except lobbyists and pleasing all the so called "do--gooders" out there who think they know what`s good for everyone.

It`s a sad day and I wish I was still young enough and had the wherewithal to go out and "kick a few asses" so to speak. We need to wake people up to the fact that we need our own guns, knives and gear to defend ourselves from ANYONE that wants to take our hard fought freedoms away.

Thanks for listening folks....and God Bless America

Bob
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

Way too many of us are just apathetic. We hear about the dumba$$ gun or knife grabs and figure that'd it'd "never happen here where I live". That's just those crazies in the "big city".

The multitude of groups that are out to completely disarm we citizens are slowly chipping away at the stone that is our Constitution from all angles. They know they need to pander to their base in the large urban areas first, and slowly spread from there. Inch at a time.

Every time there is an incident, the dogs begin baying for more control. Knowing all along that criminals by definition are people who don't obey the law anyway. And our idiots in charge fall in line. Such as the new policy regarding our military recruiters. Rather than allowing our soldiers and airmen to be armed, they're directed to run away, or hide behind movable partitions. Disgusting. Reason? We don't want to upset the soccer moms at the strip mall if they see a Marine wearing a sidearm. I guess the idea of seeing an armed member of our military is way to stressful for people to endure. Oh the humanity!

The gov't nannies want every aspect of our life to flow through them cause they know what's best.

If we don't take stand now and become more involved in what's happening "over there", it'll be happening in your town too soon enough. Do your homework and vote. Support those groups that fight for us and our Constitution.
heavychevy90

Post by heavychevy90 »

I can say this... My father raised me to always carry a pocket knife. Not for self defense he actually always told me"if you pull that thing you better make sure ya know how to use it cause you'll look awful funny with it stuck up your ass"
I still carry at least one every day no matter what and feel rather naked when I enter places like an airport and am NOT ALLOWED to carry one. I read a bumper sticker once that read "if we outlaw guns only outlaws will have them" and that has stuck with me for years. It's true and will continue to be. The are plenty of laws in place making it illegal to Stab someone making more laws taking knives away will change nothing. I can not stress enough that if just one person on those flights during 9/11 has been carrying a knife maybe things would have gone differently.
I guess my opinions are just that.... MINE but I can tell you that the day a knife is outlawed will be the day that I to become one.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The liberals seem to have the misguided notion that you can change the ways of evil people by smothering them with laws. Fourteen laws against that already on the books? Just one more is all it will take to fix the problem. Sigh. Like Ron White has said so many times, "You just can't fix stupid".
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Drug laws don't stop idiots from doing drugs. Gun laws don't stop criminals from shooting people. Knife laws don't stop the insane from attaching people. Reality doesn't stop liberals from passing laws that make no sense.

What we need are good men with guns, knives, and sense, not more laws.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Colonel26 wrote: What we need are good men with guns, knives, and sense, not more laws.
Well said Wade! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
JIMJC

Post by JIMJC »

Well, I'm not a liberal but all laws can't be painted with the same brush. The bunch in the White House are in the process of dismantling clean water and clean air laws. If fact Trump just signed bills to dismantle clean water and air regulations. So corporations will be able to pollute your water and coal producers don't have to produce clean coal, and will pollute are air we breath. That's not fake news! It's a fact.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Trump didn't dismantle any laws.He sign ed an executive order to override an Obama executive order.There is a place for politics and this ain't it.
Roger
JIMJC

Post by JIMJC »

^^^^The process has started.

This isn't political this is about what we drink and breath. Second this whole thread is political, about laws with knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

If you read the first two posts in this thread you should see how the thread ended up in the General Knife Discussion. I can see why you would relate this thread to political views so maybe it should have been moved to the Political Discussion Forum but this where a Moderator moved it so here it shall stay.

As to your comments on clean water and air pollution, you make some valid points BUT this is a knife thread and as Roger (peanut740) opined, the comments do not belong here, they belong in the Political Discussion Forum. If you take exception to my post, that's fine but you need to take it up with one of the Moderators or Administrators. They have the final word on this kind of thing. Enjoy your day.
July Delta Actual out.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I spent 30 years in law enforcement and during that time personally saw 2, just two assaults with "pocket knives" (both were Buck 110s) but I also personally know of more than a dozen assaults and homicides involving plain old unregulated kitchen knives! Laws are only obeyed by the law abiding, criminals could care less what the law says. Obama was trying to regulate into a socialist state, Trump is trying to undo it! He put all sorts of regulations on the coal industry without having a viable alternative.
Perception is Reality

Return to “General Knife Discussion”