Does the Perfect Knife really exist?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Does the Perfect Knife really exist?

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I have pondered this question until my ponderer is sore.

Gonna be a LONG time before I'd ever be able to keep just one knife.

But I find this old thing in my pocket more than any other knife.
ImperialProvRIUSAScout.jpg
Wicked sharp blade, nice punch, can opener and bottle opener/screwdriver.
Plain old plastic scales. Somewhat slimmer than most scouts and no bail to get in the way.

ALWAYS going to be a few other knives on me. But this one COULD perhaps be the one.

Only paid .50 for this thing a few years ago too.....
Looking for the magic penny!
redferd

Post by redferd »

This is one of my favorites among many. If I were allowed one knife tho, it would be a wrangler three blade 3.5 inch. to 4 inch closed.
Attachments
knife PICS1 067.jpg
tendots

Post by tendots »

One is more likely to find the H Grail than the perfect knife,but Hey it's the surch that matters.So grab your goldpan and go for it.Gus.
Tang stamps hide more than they reveal.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

There cant be "The One Perfect Knife"!! Then there would be no reason to have all the others!!! ::facepalm:: ::sotb:: John ::groove::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
pinnah

Post by pinnah »

Just Plain Dave wrote:I have pondered this question until my ponderer is sore.

Gonna be a LONG time before I'd ever be able to keep just one knife.

But I find this old thing in my pocket more than any other knife.

Wicked sharp blade, nice punch, can opener and bottle opener/screwdriver.
Plain old plastic scales. Somewhat slimmer than most scouts and no bail to get in the way.

ALWAYS going to be a few other knives on me. But this one COULD perhaps be the one.
So, in his original post, Jerry asked, "I look at knives and think, "I like that but I would change this or that" and that got me to wondering, does the Perfect Knife really exist." In this light, your camper (Camillus, I'm guessing?) is perfect. No need to modify it.

I've been thinking about this thread some more and it occurs to me that there's two kinds of objects or at least, two kinds of owners: stock and modified. I'm in the latter camp and it drives my wife just nuts. "Can't you own at least one thing that you don't modify?", she asks? My answer is, "My Svea 123", which is almost true. The Svea 123 is a little brass camp stove. Same basic design has been around for 100 years and mine has been working for nearly 30 years with no failures. I've added a tin foil wind screen to the kit, so I can't say the system is unmodified, but, I've not used a tool on the stove itself.

Nearly all my knives have been modified. I've softened the bolsters on my Buck 110 and my Buck 112. My Opinels have been massively modified, but I think that's just sort of required for Opinel owners. And on my Schrade 5OT, I've opened up and sharpened the indent at the choil so it won't hang up as easily when cutting boxes and lines. And of course, my grandfathers big old hunting knife was modified by him with filed notches for his deer. The only untouched knife I have is my Buck 500 and that knife isn't safe from my figitty hands.

I grew up working on bicycles and learned pretty early that a complete cyclist not only knew how to repair his bike, but knew how to bend the bicycle to his will. That meant modifying it. I understand that there are some cars (like Ferraris?), some bikes (like a Rene Herse?) and some knives (like a Tony Bose) that should not be modified. But such things leave me cold. To my mind, they're still owned by the maker and not by me. I also admit to a certain sadness, anger almost, when I see an entirely stock Mustang GT. I feel like saying, "C'mon, man up and *DO* something with that car. Own it already."

I'm a collector's nightmare and I know that. I own good selection of flat files and I have that twitch in my eye...
Dave "Pinnah" Mann, Bahston, MA
Dave's Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

1914-1941 camillus wedge whittler-rogers brown jigged bone, bomb shield!!!!..................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Now there's a man that knows his mind!!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

pinnah wrote:So, 2 weekend ago, before this thread started, my son who is 11 and I had the following conversation.

Some background I have an Opinel #8 that is my most used knife, by a long shot. My son has been begging for a real knife for a while. I got my first knife at 8 (and my first stitches about a month later and yes, they were from that knife) so I figured my kid was due. I gave him a small multi tool at the beginning of the summer that had a joke blade on it and he already had a key chain SAK, again with a joke blade on it. I tested him with my slip joints and lockbacks but his hands aren't strong enough to handle them with ease. But my Opinel was fine for him.

Anyway, 2 weekend ago, it was opening day for deer season up on Vermont and I took him with me for his first trip to the hunting camp. On the way up, I presented him with a new Opinel #6. It never left his hands or his pocket for the entire weekend. He walked close behind me as we hunted up into places that Grandfather had shown me. One, was a high flat landing with 4 or 5 large semi-trailer sized boulders that had cleaved off of ledges higher up on the mountain. Another was a wet swampy area of mixed birches and spruce just below 2 ponds that has a carpet of thick sedges. We worked our way through there in the golden light of late afternoon working into a nice headwind. Moose sign and deer beds all around.

On the way home he was sitting exhausted in the back seat with his new Opinel still in his hand.

"That's a perfect knife, isn't it?", I asked him.

"Sure is. Absolutely perfect. I love it."

"And we walked in some perfect places today, didn't we."

"Yah. But I wish we had seen a deer."

"I know. Maybe next time. Here. Hold up that knife for second... I have a favor to ask of you, pal. You might loose that knife next month, or you might still have when you're an old man. I don't know. But every time you reach into your pocket, I want you to remember today, when your dad took you hunting for the first time, ok?"

"I sure will."

"Listen pal, this old world certainly has some sadness in it. No way around it. But this world also has some perfect places too and you walked through two of them today. When you use that knife, I want you always to remember that there are perfect places. That there is a perfect knife and you're a perfect son. Always know that."
I just came upon this post and it's a great one for sure. You might even try to print it out and keep it if you haven't done it already! Again a great story, thanks for sharing.
Richard
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I'm starting to think my somewhat modded Case Red Bone CV Humpback Whittler is perfect.
Sunken joints. Lovely bone.
Case Humpback Whittler.jpg
Looking for the magic penny!
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Jerry's mention of his "close to perfect knife" led me on a search and, believe me, there aren't many thread titles with the word "perfect".
I'm still looking for my "perfect" knife, which will be the last knife I buy, because you can't improve on perfection. ::shrug::
So far I've narrowed it down to Victorinox for fit and finish, walk and talk. Now for the pattern.
The overall popularity of the stockman/whittler pattern has proved itself over the years with its three different blades to suit every need, as well as CV for the steel.
I tend to rely on the knife-experienced AAPK members who suggest their own version of a " close to perfect knife" to arrive at the OBJECTIVE perfect knife.
I suppose YOUR "close to perfect knife" is the knife that ENDS UP suiting your needs best. That also includes your super rare, safe queen, investment knives, because they can also suit your needs best. Your perfect knife can also change with your needs, in which case it's the knife you die using, :lol: or the knife you used most over your lifetime. ::hmm::
I learn so much from these pointless discussions that I just wanted this thread to continue. ::nod::
Just Plain Dave, maybe I should add sunken joints to the list of perfections.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Actually two perfect knives exist :mrgreen: Schrade cut co 8813 and gec 81.

Really though the most absolute perfect knife would be an amalgamation of these two made by the master Tony Bose. With damascus.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
truck

Post by truck »

No more than the perfect woman. But I found my wife and I found the Schrade 34OT. Not in that order, though.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I just re-read this thread and decided I must have started it before I got my first Camillus 72.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

This Robeson gets pretty close for me. ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN2919.JPG
DSCN2927.JPG
DSCN2930.JPG
Joe
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

jerryd6818 wrote:I just re-read this thread and decided I must have started it before I got my first Camillus 72.
I've just been looking at a Camillus #72 thread with 1286 posts.
Now that's some recommendation for a "close to perfect knife". :shock:
You think there might be a "close to perfect knife" in current production? ::shrug::
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

If it exists, I'm not sure I want to find it. If I did what would I do then. The search for the perfect knife is why I buy knives. Something like a SAK Pioneer or Climber comes close, for me at least, or maybe a Stockman......hmmmmm. ::ds::
Perception is Reality
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

truck wrote:No more than the perfect woman. But I found my wife and I found the Schrade 34OT. Not in that order, though.
I found this knife on ebay. No one wanted an old Schrade, with a big crack in the bone handle.
It had not been used, So I paid $5 for it. However, it was close to perfect - when the handle was replaced.
Attachments
Dale 2.JPG
Schrade finished.jpg
Schrade Fileed back springs.jpg
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Yes it does until I get it home and check it out oil it and put it away, and then I realize that wasn't the one. This happens to me often. I have even sold my perfect knife a few times.

Harold
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Yep!! I have one but its a secrete!! ::paranoid:: SHHHH!!! ::super_happy:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........split backspring CAMILLUS whittler!!!............ ::tu:: ::ds:: ...............
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The perfect knife exists for everyone, but there is no perfect knife for everyone ::hmm::That's why they make so many Ya ding-a-ling ::smack:: ::smack::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Yep, it exists. It's a XX era Case 6375, of course, a Camillus 89 will also do. Both are square jawed 4 1/4 inch stockman knives.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Colonel26 wrote:Yep, it exists. It's a XX era Case 6375, of course, a Camillus 89 will also do. Both are square jawed 4 1/4 inch stockman knives.
I never knew about the 89. You've given me another knife to look for, which is a mixed blessing :lol:
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:Yep, it exists. It's a XX era Case 6375, of course, a Camillus 89 will also do. Both are square jawed 4 1/4 inch stockman knives.
I never knew about the 89. You've given me another knife to look for, which is a mixed blessing :lol:
There are some differences. They're the same size, but on the 89 the sheepsfoot sits down below the clip instead of sitting up high like a CASE. Also on the 89 you can have it in any handle material you want as long as all you want is imitation stag made of delrin. Lol. But man what a using knife.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Colonel26 wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
There are some differences. They're the same size, but on the 89 the sheepsfoot sits down below the clip instead of sitting up high like a CASE. Also on the 89 you can have it in any handle material you want as long as all you want is imitation stag made of delrin. Lol. But man what a using knife.
Got a pic wade. I can't believe it would beat 0ut the 67. Butttt ::hmm::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”