Schrade Cut. New Life- Part 1

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Cut. New Life- Part 1

Post by muskrat man »

Well, it has begun. I recieved the knife from pa, and looked it over, then set it aside, as I had no blades on hand that would fit. I have some blades inbound that may fit, still unsure. I just couldn't help myself, so I did what I could to hold me over until I get the blade.

I knocked the pin out and got out what was left of some blades.

There was a pretty good gouge in the butt of the knife.

So I figured I best get rid of that

clean things up a little bit

lightly polish the scales smooth.

and I lay her to rest until I get the blades :D

While I had the camera out there in all the dust I figured i'd snap a couple of odd stuff.

Where I spend most of my time working on folding knives

A box of parts:

The other side:

A pile of blades I just got in the mail from a good friend:

Until next time ::smirk::

Questions welcomed.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Very cool Ratman! VERRRY COOL 8) ::tu::

Bryan
Bryan
nmikash

Post by nmikash »

She's looking better already. ::tu:: Keep us posted as you move along.

Nick
"A good cook changes his knife once a year-because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month-because he hacks."
[An excerpt from the Chuang Tzu]
justold52

Post by justold52 »

muskrat man it's only cuz I don't know ok. But you being such a good teacher I am sure you will fix my brain.

I see your Shop, I do not see an anvil, vise, press, drill press, milling machine, lath, grinder, polisher, etc, etc . Not to put you down but I am an old tool & die maker and even have a milling machine in my garage.
I thought you need special tools to work on knives.

I read some post in here and they state that they grind the pins to remove the handles. YES ? In this knife you are fixing you must have removed the pin to get the blades out YES. Did you grind them out I see some grind marks on one side. Then you punched them out YES.I knocked the pin out and got out what was left of some blades. Does that take a pin punch with out a point in the tip? Is the pin wrecked? Can you reuse the pin?
I see you saved some old pins why?
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

MM,

Thank you for sharing those GREAT photo's. What a learning experience for all of us. I for one truly appreciate the process that you have already given us. Visuals are the best teacher in this hobby. I look forward to the next set. What a beautiful knife she will be. I love the photo of the knife in your hand. Good job and keep it up. I like your work area too. I have never gotten into the restoration process as people like you make it look to easy and I would mess it up. I appreciate the questions being asked too, relating to the process. This will be a very interesting post for sure. ::tu::
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Hi Just,
To answer your questions.

The pictured work area is just one corner of my shop. I have a sander, grinder/buffer, drill press, bandsaw, dremel, vice, and a small homemade anvil, I'll grab some pics of the rest of the mess today :D.
You can work on knives with minimal tools, just takes practice, presses, lathes and milling machines would be real handy, but you can only buy what you can afford ::disgust::.

You usually remove the head from the rocker pin (center pin that retains the backspring) then tap it out, then you can totally disassemble the knife. For this knife I decided to try and keep it as origional as possible and only tapped out the pivot pin (that reatins the blades) out with a punch, then removed the blades. To install new blades, it may be neccesery to further disassemble the knife to check tang-backspring alignment and do any fitting that may be required. Only one pin will need to be removed, and it will be easily replaced.

The other pins, just hold the scales to the liners, it makes your job much easier if you leave those alone :wink: .

I use a simple flat head pin punch to knock the pins out, sometimes they can be salvaged for other knives, but are usually too short to use in the same knife and sometimes they are so worn they are only good for the trash bin.

I save old pins for 2 reasons
#1 being I may be able to use them for a future project
#2 being I am just a packrat ::doh::

Hope this answers some of your questions, feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I am not an expert by far, just a backyard mechanic.

I am glasd the poeple here truely appriciate a setp by step photo process, I have posted such things elsewhere and got minimal response.

If any of you are interested, here is a process of rebuilding an old Ulster EZ puill jack I did a few months ago.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... estore.htm
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree, it is nice to have all the tools to make a job go faster. However, I find that the faster a tool cuts the easier it is to make a mistake.

Ben Kelly, in his book on pocket knife repair, said his mentor, Mr Bell, told him "Anything that can be made with a machine can be made with a file."

It doesn't take a lot of fancy machinery to make or repair a knife. Some of the old knives that we all find so alluring were made primarily with simple tools. They didn't have Dremel tools or even electricity in the 1800's, but they made knives that have survived over a century of use.

Nice tutorial MM! ::tu::
Keep us appraised of your progress.

Dale
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

I think it is fantastic MM. I really like those pics and hearing about your approach to the project. You obviously have both a talent and passion for fixing/building/appreciating knives. Thanks for sharing it with us. ::nod:: s-k
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

orvet wrote: I find that the faster a tool cuts the easier it is to make a mistake.

"Anything that can be made with a machine can be made with a file."

It doesn't take a lot of fancy machinery to make or repair a knife.

Dale
Agreed, I do alot of stuff by hand, that could otherwise be done much quicker with the belt sander, or dremel, as I am more confident about the ammount of material that is being removed from the project.

If they could do it a certain way back 200+ years, it can be done the same way today, if you have the patience. That is most of what working on knives is, whethere you reapir them or make them from scratch, it takes alot of patience.

I'm glad you all enjoyed part 1,
Take Care
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

muskrat man...

Boy, I really envy your ability...and the step-by-step process you're showing us is really fantastic. I'm looking forward to watching your progress and learning something in the bargain...Good Form!

cj
justold52

Post by justold52 »

KOOL ::nod::

Ok some more Q??
I see the pin in your first photo and it looks like a straight pin with 2 ends beened over .(not a tapered pin)
I all so see your dremal grind markes on one bolster. (to grind off one beened head, right) Now how can you use that bolster over again? (are they that thick that you can do this more than one time?)
Any reason you ground off that head on that side of the bolster?
Show use your punch too Please. ::paranoid::
And did you have your wife hold the knife so you could punch out the pin? ::nod:: ::nod::
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

The pin was replaced by a previous owner who switched out the origional blades for hammer brand blades, but he obviously broke those too ::dang:: .

He did a poor job of replacing the pin and just beat a head on either side of it. I merely filed the head off, I stay away from dremels when doing little things like this, avoids further injury to the patient :wink: . There isn't any getting around hitting the bolster a little bit, some 320 sandpaper cleaned it right up after the pin was tapped out and did not remove the flutes in the bolster.

I have redone pins up to 6 times on knives (when I first started) and the bolster was never disfigured. The main reason for this being, you just want to remove the peened head, nothing more, nothing less.

No reason for doing it on one side or the other.

I use a 1/16" punch for most of my work, and a 1/8" when I am making fixed blades. I busted my 1/16" punch when tapping the pin out on this schrade, so I need to get another, I'll get a better quality one this time. ::dang::

Wife? You kiddin'? Don't have plans on havin' one of them for quite a while.

Pictures, as promised :D

The rest of the shop:

The cheap punches I have been using as of late:

The blades arrived in the mail today, but the alignment is not even close, I'll keep an eye open for blades at shows and markets, the one bad thing about winter, no flea markets to frequent :(

This will keep me busy in the off time, if anyone is interested I can post step by step progress photos.
Feel free to free your mind of questions, that is what we are for :D

Now, I need to get this essay typed in and ready to submit.
Take it easy,
MM
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

MM-
Way cool stuff here, my friend. ::tu:: To be able to take an ol' gal like that and get her all purdied-up. I'm green w/envy :mrgreen:
Hope you do get some blades that fit. Can't wait to see the end result.
Much respects,
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
nmikash

Post by nmikash »

MM-
It is great to see this process. I am just getting up the courage to start repairing/customizing some of my knives. I was hoping to start this winter so the step by step process will be a great tutorial for me. Keep the pics coming.

Nick
"A good cook changes his knife once a year-because he cuts. A mediocre cook changes his knife once a month-because he hacks."
[An excerpt from the Chuang Tzu]
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

mm, it looks like we need an AAPK backyard mechanics club. i motion you could be the first king.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

Just thought I would bring this thread back to the top for comparison to the next thread.

Just being nosey I guess

::blah::
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I'd be honored to be the king ::tu:: . Still no blades that will fit the old girl, I'm keeping an eye out for some though :D
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Well, I got this one in the mail a couple days ago, didn't get to it until now, as I was working on a customers knives, he sent it as a gift, the master and sheep blades were a tad damaged and the main blade didn't want to snap closed. Tore it down, cleaned it up a bit of reprofiling and you have a great little user.
Sorry for the bad pic
Attachments
schrade 895.jpg
schrade 895.jpg (43.38 KiB) Viewed 1896 times

Return to “General Knife Discussion”