shell handled knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bighomer

Re: shell handled knives

Post by bighomer »

My latest shell handle, cute little bugger.
Attachments
20181017_181354.jpg
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Looks like a good'n, Bighomer. ::tu::

WB
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

whitebuffalo58 wrote:Looks like a good'n, Bighomer. ::tu::

WB
WB seeing your fine collection inspired me to see if I could add a few to my small pile. I like the old shells, I grew up on them. ::tu::
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

bighomer wrote:WB seeing your fine collection inspired me to see if I could add a few to my small pile. I like the old shells, I grew up on them.
Well thank you for that! ::handshake::

I bought my first shell handled toothpicks/fish knives as a kid. The local bait and tackle store had a Sportsmaster countertop display that the owner kept well stocked. Mostly with jigged black or cracked ice, but ever so often he'd get a few colored ones in. The shop was along my first paper route and I was able to keep a close eye on what was coming in. Even though he still had to pay his subscription each month, when all was said and done, a lot of months he pretty much got his papers for free. :D

WB
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Cool story, I remember the cards of knives at the five & dime,feed store and western auto. I got another one today. ::tu::
Attachments
20181018_181350.jpg
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

There ya go! Another good one!

For Imperial, the half congress wasn't a rare pattern, but it doesn't seem like they made nearly as many as most other patterns. They did however, on rare occasion, make a 4-blade version. I've yet to find one of those in mint condition. Mines not bad, but still far from mint. I've only seen either version with the Hammer Brand stamp, but they may have made them with the Imperial stamp, too.

Those half congress make great Sunday go to meetin' knives. ::tu::

WB
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Since I was already sorting knife photos into albums and I realized looking over the results that I had been finding a number of shell knife photos from back in the day, I figured I would contribute some of them here...
Attachments
24281951683_5a5d489e91_k.jpg
29571254633_d12ab4da44_k.jpg
24818699605_33fd56a07c_b.jpg
43602096570_0cb892cd81_k.jpg
24955054391_168d25ac13_k.jpg
27292443813_8033246719_k.jpg
27008515576_4c70794c4a_k.jpg
28042288081_f5e45af9d3_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Nice lot there, Tony! I especially like that Tuf-Nut jack and the Sabre fish knife. Was the Sabre made in Ireland? I don't have one with shell handles, mine was made in Japan and has the hollow bolsters with solid yellow comp. handles.

Thanks for sharing! ::tu::

WB
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

whitebuffalo58 wrote:Nice lot there, Tony! I especially like that Tuf-Nut jack and the Sabre fish knife. Was the Sabre made in Ireland? I don't have one with shell handles, mine was made in Japan and has the hollow bolsters with solid yellow comp. handles.
Thanks for sharing! ::tu::
Thanks, WB! ::handshake:: The Imperial Tuf-Nut advertising jack is probably my favorite shell knife in my pile. Packs quite a snap for such a small serpentine jack.

That yeller Sabre is a Hong Kong knife. I've seen Sabre Japan fish knives but as you observed they were more traditional and of a higher build quality. The Sabre Hong Kong knife isn't anywhere near the quality of the older Sabre Japan knives (we recently had a decent little thread about Sabres to which I contributed this fish knife along with some Japanese Barlows and a unique little peanut), and really doesn't even compare in F&F to the ubiquitous Imperial shell fish knives, which were never "elegant" by any metric (but are highly useful and interesting).
44716582754_96f3b29c99_k.jpg
I've never been able to track down the story of the Sabre Ireland knives but I've always assumed some sort of link with the old Jowika factory that Imperial ultimately purchased (from which they ran off a lot of "Stag Ireland" shell knives).
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I've always thought the Ireland Sabre's were made after Imperial took over. The Jowika fish knives have a whole different look to them. The front bolsters tend to be elongated and somewhat flat.
SANY0001.JPG

WB
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Okay - this thread has been around for several years and I never posted a knife. Here is an Ulster fish knife that I like. I think that most of the pocket knives that I grew up with were shell handled. I am pretty sure that all my old fish knives were shell handled, anyway.
Attachments
Ulster3.jpg
Mel
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Whoa, talk about strong out of the gate! Very nice! ::tu::

You know, I've been collecting shell handled toothpick/fish knives for a very long time and I've never come across one with an Ulster stamp. There couldn't have been many.

Thank you for showing that one, Mel! Another knife on the 'to find' list.

WB
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks, WB. I do not think of myself as collecting fish knives, but every now and then I see one that I like and buy it.
Mel
Wbyonder

Post by Wbyonder »

Love these knives guys!! Here are a few of mine, mostly imperials and hammers! Keep them pics comming!!!
Attachments
15402389606562518783031324377882.jpg
Wbyonder

Post by Wbyonder »

Forgot this unusual shell it's a large stockman Jawika Ireland,and a unusual imperial cover!
Wbyonder

Post by Wbyonder »

Wbyonder wrote:Forgot this unusual shell it's a large stockman Jawika Ireland,and a unusual imperial cover!
Attachments
15402394741615573683333368490365.jpg
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Wbyonder wrote:Love these knives guys!! Here are a few of mine, mostly imperials and hammers! Keep them pics comming!!!
Wow, nice showing Wbyonder! Some great colors in the mix! I have a Barlow with those "stag'd" handles and I believe Dimitri (Miller Bros.) had a toothpick with those same handles. They are unique.

Thanks for sharing!

WB
Wbyonder

Post by Wbyonder »

Thanks guys, I just love learning from you all and seeing all the pictures!!! I also collect safety razors, and knives are the same, always something you haven't seen or don't know existed! it would be miserable for me as collector to come too a point where I new everything about something, And had seen everything, So lucky for me , that will never happen!! Not even close, and learning history that most people could care less about , makes me smile ::ds:: have a great night one and all!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I don't have all the great colors that you fellers are showing, but here's a few.
Attachments
20181022_185628.jpg
20181022_185547.jpg
20181022_185250.jpg
20181022_183706.jpg
Wbyonder

Post by Wbyonder »

Great ones!! I had forgot about all the shell campers, I that a hawk ill on that last barlow I spy, if so that's, old school Kool!! Thanks for sharing!! ::woot::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Dinadan wrote:Okay - this thread has been around for several years and I never posted a knife. Here is an Ulster fish knife that I like. I think that most of the pocket knives that I grew up with were shell handled. I am pretty sure that all my old fish knives were shell handled, anyway.
While it's hard to be sure given 2D photos, I'm fairly confident that your Utica's fish shield is identical to my Imperial's.

Was there any interplay betwen Imperial and Utica? I don't think Utica was ever brought under the same company umbrella like Schrade and Imperial were, but Utica would have had to have access to the same machining to produce a shield that uncannily similar to the Imperial knife, no? ::shrug::
bighomer wrote:I don't have all the great colors that you fellers are showing, but here's a few.
big-H, I only recently discovered that Imperial made shell-handled automatic fish knives/ticklers like the second from the top in your photo, and I've been crazy about finding one ever since. How does it fire? It probably was a cut above the usual shell-handled fish knive in price, huh?
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

It is WBY and here's a couple of more that is cool to me , the ones with screw driver blades. Tony I wish,sorry to say but it's it's a fake. Colonial made several to look like switch blades but are not. ::tu::
Attachments
20181022_195900.jpg
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

bighomer, you've been holding out on us, nice grouping! ::tu::

I see a couple of unique ones, the Electricians Camper is one. You can tell by the electrical snipe on the screwdriver of mine, that somebody took the name a bit to literal. :D Does yours have a "You Can Rely On Certified" etch?
SANY0001-002.JPG
SANY0004.JPG
Tsar Bomba, if I was a bettin' man, I'd put my money on that Ulster being a contract knife, made by Imperial. ::nod::

WB
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

WB l don't see any etch, someone reprofile the screwdriver blade on mine. It's got some more fine steel, razor sharp. Scott( triple f) had one for sale a couple years ago but I missed out on it.I thought I had a couple more of the fish and toadsticker type knives but they seem to be missing in action. ::shrug::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

whitebuffalo58 wrote:Tsar Bomba, if I was a bettin' man, I'd put my money on that Ulster being a contract knife, made by Imperial. ::nod::
Agreed, WB. The world of cutlery was often very "incestuous" and I've been utterly gobsmacked at times to see things like identical knives wearing Case and Robeson livery from the early part of the 20th. Speaking of Case, I believe Utica made a fair number of Barlows for Case in the early days, too. Makes this hobby of ours ever so much more fun to try and chase down the backstory behind all these "cooperative builds". ::nod::

But now I've gotta run down a Utica-stamped fish knife... ::hmm::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”