KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

Post by Colonel26 »

Y’all are picking up some real winners on this page! Wow!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Got some the last few months. Just got back to a place to post pics from.
eugene 2.JPG
from top left:
an unused Craftsman/ Camillus?
Empire -Winstead Conn.
Henkles with lots of pocket polish.
a well worn Queen #28
Case xx usa
George Wolstenholm celebrated cutlery with what looks like Rosa Horo(a) 1876 scratched into the ivory.
Queen #26A
SAK
Ixl Geo Wolstenholm celebrated Brass camper
Camillus electricians knife
Case m3f
Herters
Chad Morin, made in Kalispell
Thanks
Bruce
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Bruce that certainly does NOT qualify as a junk box. There are some really interesting things there. Several that you will go back and handle several times. Good score. The Case fixed blade and the two across from it are really interesting. ::tu:: ::tu::
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Thanks Doglegg. You're right, so far I can't keep my hands off the Empire and the Queen 28. Here are a few more that got left out of the last pic.
eugene 3.JPG
L to R
Well used Marble's
A celluloid Cattaraugus ( did I spell that right?) that sparkles like a disco ball.
An old skinner, unmarked. my friend Gordon says it's garage made, but it has a poured pewter end cap so I'm not so sure.
The knife from a first version Western States hatchet/knife combo. no sheath no hatchet.
Thanks
Bruce
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Berryb wrote:Got some the last few months. Just got back to a place to post pics from.eugene 2.JPG
from top left:
an unused Craftsman/ Camillus?
Empire -Winstead Conn.
Henkles with lots of pocket polish.
a well worn Queen #28
Case xx usa
George Wolstenholm celebrated cutlery with what looks like Rosa Horo(a) 1876 scratched into the ivory.
Queen #26A
SAK
Ixl Geo Wolstenholm celebrated Brass camper
Camillus electricians knife
Case m3f
Herters
Chad Morin, made in Kalispell
Thanks
Bruce
I’m really intrigued by the Chad Morin. Kalispell is a tiny little town in Montana. The reason it made me sit up and take notice is that my Grandmother was born there, in 1902.
Kalispell has popped up a few other times too. I once moved out a fridge in Edmonton and found a Kalispell letter opener behind it! :shock:
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Inside the garage was this little gem at a community sale today....
Attachments
IMG_3849.JPG
IMG_3850.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Now that is a gem! Dead mint! With Sears being on the brink of collapse, and USA Craftsman now a thing of the past after Stanley bought them; I'd say the Craftsman USA knives won't be cheap much longer.

My grandmother was pulling leaves out of the flower bed that the retaining wall near the garage runs alongside. She tells me "Look what I found in the leaves". Figured it was an old toy (I've found a ton of old, tiny toys of mine in this flowerbed); but it turned out to be my early model chrome Stanley 10-049 "Pocket Knife"; which I much prefer to the folding box cutter. Originally my great-granddad's; I put a new blade in it last year and started carrying it. Guess I left it down there putting string in the weed eater. What amazes me is how the supposedly "carbon steel" blade only had a couple specks of rust on it. I hate to see what the original one kept inside locked in the spare blade compartment looks like (from what, the 1970s?) when I tear it apart to clean.
DSCF1186.JPG
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Nice find! And It didn’t cost a cent!
Sears totally folded up here last year. There are no more stores at all. It’s pretty sad. My childhood Christmas’s revolves around the Wish Book. The only credit card my parents had was Simpsons Sears, (the Canadian name), and it was just for Christmas and emergencies, like the sump pump!
My first new knife was from Sears, a long gone threes blade with light coloured bone handles and stainless blades. I was about eleven or twelve. I never quite bonded with it like I did with my Dad’s hand me down, but it was nice and all mine!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Finds from the weekend at the Janesville Wisconsin Badger Club show. The top two I found in an antique shop on the way home, a neat early Utica bone fixed blade and a unmarked German (my best guess) locking hunter. The HS&B curved ebony jack I picked up for $20 just as I was leaving the show. A KA-BAR dogs head hunter. A Aerial picture handle hunter in very nice shape, A Jaeger Bros. hunter that actually was in my mail box when I got home (thanks Dennis), a IXL stag hawkbill I picked up and set down a dozen times before I bought it. I loved the stag and the shape of the blade, especially the swedge, but the blade wear bothered me. The 12th time I decided I liked it anyway. A Imperial Red, White and Blue Scout that the other Dave that I rode down to the show with picked up for $3 and gave to me, finally and a Winchester English jack I grabbed along with the Dogs Head within the first 5 minutes of the show that took half my knife budget for the weekend at $250 for the pair, which is about what I figure each one of them would have cost me at one of the bigger shows out East or down South. Altogether the whole package (9 knives) was less than $500 total which is about what I expected the weekend would cost me._____Dave
Attachments
Janesville knives picture two 001.JPG
Janesville knives picture two 006.JPG
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

djknife13 wrote:Finds from the weekend at the Janesville Wisconsin Badger Club show. The top two I found in an antique shop on the way home, a neat early Utica bone fixed blade and a unmarked German (my best guess) locking hunter. The HS&B curved ebony jack I picked up for $20 just as I was leaving the show. A KA-BAR dogs head hunter. A Aerial picture handle hunter in very nice shape, A Jaeger Bros. hunter that actually was in my mail box when I got home (thanks Dennis), a IXL stag hawkbill I picked up and set down a dozen times before I bought it. I loved the stag and the shape of the blade, especially the swedge, but the blade wear bothered me. The 12th time I decided I liked it anyway. A Imperial Red, White and Blue Scout that the other Dave that I rode down to the show with picked up for $3 and gave to me, finally and a Winchester English jack I grabbed along with the Dogs Head within the first 5 minutes of the show that took half my knife budget for the weekend at $250 for the pair, which is about what I figure each one of them would have cost me at one of the bigger shows out East or down South. Altogether the whole package (9 knives) was less than $500 total which is about what I expected the weekend would cost me._____Dave

I might wager that the german lockback is a Henckels. I have one just like it, and they can be worth decent money depending on conditiion

Nice Haul!!!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Thanks Glennbad. I am leaning that way but I know that many of the German patterns were followed pretty close by the different companies and most made pretty decent quality. I paid about $25 for it so it was kind of a no brainer for an interesting knife even when I had already blown the budget. I didn't want to spend the next few weeks kicking myself. ____Dave
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

As usual, every time I leave the Barn, I find a Richards or two stuck to me somewhere! The Scout is actually in quite decent shape, besides a bit of general scunge. The little jeweled beauty needs a few new rhinestones but the rest of it is ok.
I didn’t realize Richards made such a thing. It’s kind of gloriously tacky, isn’t it?! :shock:
7C437EDF-A781-4878-8DFE-A59E23B3E3E7.jpeg
3EFE521D-E288-467E-9344-B95F0B5B50C8.jpeg
C64A4A09-389A-4451-92B2-1714EED3099A.jpeg
4E1835A2-33E4-4E1E-AF05-FEA96DEFD067.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ann, I have one Linnea's oldest daughter gave me. We call it the "skeeter skinner". Not near as fancy as yours.
Attachments
Skeeter Skinner - Open Mark.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

djknife13 wrote:Finds from the weekend at the Janesville Wisconsin Badger Club show. The top two I found in an antique shop on the way home, a neat early Utica bone fixed blade and a unmarked German (my best guess) locking hunter. The HS&B curved ebony jack I picked up for $20 just as I was leaving the show. A KA-BAR dogs head hunter. A Aerial picture handle hunter in very nice shape, A Jaeger Bros. hunter that actually was in my mail box when I got home (thanks Dennis), a IXL stag hawkbill I picked up and set down a dozen times before I bought it. I loved the stag and the shape of the blade, especially the swedge, but the blade wear bothered me. The 12th time I decided I liked it anyway. A Imperial Red, White and Blue Scout that the other Dave that I rode down to the show with picked up for $3 and gave to me, finally and a Winchester English jack I grabbed along with the Dogs Head within the first 5 minutes of the show that took half my knife budget for the weekend at $250 for the pair, which is about what I figure each one of them would have cost me at one of the bigger shows out East or down South. Altogether the whole package (9 knives) was less than $500 total which is about what I expected the weekend would cost me._____Dave
Looks like it was a good day.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I think I’ve met the Skeeter Skinner before, possible in the Little Knives section. Little cutie! ::tu::
I have an even tinier one, made in Italy.
It’s about an inch, closed. Here it is with a watchfob knife.
E78EA3A2-60F7-4AB8-93FA-6239E0C341D9.jpeg
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Berryb wrote: An old skinner, unmarked. my friend Gordon says it's garage made, but it has a poured pewter end cap so I'm not so sure.
Bruce
Bruce, I have seen exactly the same skiner, marked Friedrich Herder Solingen.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Thanks Eustace. That helps alot.
Bruce
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

djknife13 wrote:Finds from the weekend at the Janesville Wisconsin Badger Club show.
Way to go, Dave. That's a great collection of knives. ::tu::
Joe
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

FRJ wrote:
djknife13 wrote:Finds from the weekend at the Janesville Wisconsin Badger Club show.
Way to go, Dave. That's a great collection of knives. ::tu::
Thanks FRJ. It was a good day. ____Dave
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Dude.....Dave! (djknife)....knice haul pal!! congrats!!!

Got these yesterday...
Attachments
IMG_3925.JPG
SCOTT

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Uncle Henry Schrade LB8 logo of AEP
Attachments
IMG_3993.JPG
SCOTT

Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Today at a local antique mall I picked these up. A Utica Scout, a Western and a Camillus. The Western I plan on re handling. All for $11!
20190406_164255.jpg
Attachments
20190406_164317.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Byrd wrote:Today at a local antique mall I picked these up. A Utica Scout, a Western and a Camillus. The Western I plan on re handling. All for $11!20190406_164255.jpg

Great score! I rarely find any knives, let alone for $11 EACH at the antique malls I visit over the summer. And in many cases, a blade is broke or its junk. $11 is a steal of a deal for that trio. I would happily have given that for each knife. So, what are you thinking for scale material on the Western?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Hey Byrd, great pick ups and great prospect on seeing the rehandle. ::tu::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

This Antique Mall is huge, 3 stories and is mostly garage sale type stuff instead of real antiques. I go in about once a month to scout for knives and usually find something for 5 bucks or less. A new vendor was there today and evidently knew nothing about knives so his prices were cheap. I made no comments about what I waa getting, just payed and left! I'm planning on ordering some jigged bone from Culpeper's for the Western. I want to try to match what's on it. It'll be a while because I want to try and use the original shield but I've never done one before so I've got some figuring to do.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”