KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bighomer

Re: KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

Post by bighomer »

Ken l just enjoy sharp objects they don't have to be expensive to be fun. ::tu::
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

For me it is the overall shape, and construction (materials/patina) of certain knives that I like.
I'm actually kind of leary of sharp things because of the countless times I have cut myself over the years.

If I can sort of squint or look at a knife from a distance, and find it attractive... I'm in. Maybe that's why knives are a little like women. ::tu:: ::shrug::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

TripleF wrote:
Old Hunter wrote:Nice pickups Scott - good day in the mines! OH

Thanks pal!!!

Here's a better piuc of that Raucherkopf. Anybody know what blade that one blade is called?
Hey Scott - nice old knife ::tu:: ::tu:: ... it has similar blades to a farmer's jack but the frame style for those knives was usually a wharncliffe frame in shape... anyway Lyle who knows alot more and has a great farmers jack collection calls that blade a "rooster" comb due to that high rounded edge on spine ... but not sure if that was Lyle's terminology or that what was used in the older days... I can't remember ::dang:: ... but Lyle would know for sure if he checks in...

Post by kootenay joe »

German trade rules allow a knife to be called "Made in Germany" if any work on it, no matter how slight, is done in Germany. Knives are imported from China, 95% completed and the final buff or install bale, or something minor, is done in Germany and qualify for a "Made in Germany" marking.
Boker and whatever other companies still do manufacture knives in Germany, are lobbying for a change in this law such that "Made in Germany" means is was.
As far as i am aware no change for the better has occurred.
Bernard Levine has posted a few times that he wonders how many of the iconic Puma lockback folders were actually made by Puma, and he was speaking of knives from 1970's-80's.
It is really only of academic interest that we try to unravel secrets of the knife. Whether a current Puma is made in China or Germany is less important than "is it a good knife".
kj
FreePress

Post by FreePress »

Auction purchase this weekend, a two-blade Schmachtenberg. The sale was proceeding very quickly, so there wasn't time to conduct a complete inspection. Grrrrr..., thus I paid a few bucks more than the cost of a fast food sandwich, but still less than $10.

The main blade is stamped with the company name on the tang and the CLIM (axe head) logo.

Since more than a little restoration would be required, is this one a keeper or trading stock for something better?
Attachments
IMG_5182.jpg
IMG_5180.jpg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

That's purty cool....I'd get 'er restored!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That etch is a favorite of mine, cool!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Flea market finds from this past weekend.
Keen Kutter 3 5/8" Jack
IMG_1758.JPG
Ranger Jack 3 7/8"
IMG_1763.JPG
Hammer brand cattle knife

IMG_1764.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Ran out of time and could easily run out of money at the Webster Florida Flea Market. I've been to this market a few times in the summer but in the Fall and winter it appears to really be something! Honestly I've never seen so many piles of knives and very few imported Zombie killers and such. It appears that when the Florida summer weather starts to break, the Snowbirds come south and bring all sorts of goodies to sell on Mondays.
It was like a giant circus, about 40 acres of vendors. I only made it down 3 rows.
My pile today is a mixed bag:
There is a Camillus, NIB 72 Yellow Jacket etch, still with the cellophane wrapper.

A Case 22087 that needs a little buffing on the slick black. It has oxidized slick black handles.

A couple of junkers, a Camillus Boy Scout with shrinky dink handles, I guess it's the 72 pattern? and a Case Tested that I believe is a 5253, no meat on the blades.

I saw a "big full" pocket knife with its' round shield missing, picked it up and it was a Case 6592. Never sharpened but allowed to rust a little and it's SS. It is an NKCA knife, blade etch on clip says "1972 NKCA 1982" over "Decade of Growth". On a blade that appears to be a pen blade, "1 of 1600" is etched. The mark side front bolster is stamped "0811".

Also found a Case 6265SAB w/sheath, used condition.

Then there is a Western S-6504, it too is used. Delrin handles.

Then there is the one I think is the prize for the day! Both handles are missing about half the bone, the shield is still hangin' on and after a drop or two of oil this Platts Bros. Andover N.Y. knife will bite! It also has 1/2 stops on both blades. Steel bolsters and brass liners. :) 1907-1909?
Treefarmer
026.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

treefarmer
WOW, what a bonanza, like the mother load. Wish I could wade into something like that!!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Phil, nice hunting. You appear to be having way too much fun.___Dave
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

There is too much "cool" going on here.
I have to go buy something... 8)

I'll have a hand full to post by morning. Promise!
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Treefarmer, that's great good haul you have there!
David
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks Fellers! I'll clean 'em up a bit and pay some attention to the Platts Bros. I would love to carry that one if I can get it rehandled. The rest of them are trading material or worse some might even be eligible for the next POS Roundtable. :)
I did have a good time and wished we had felt like walking around some more. Scott needs to hit that place on Mondays, it's only about 60 miles from where he lives.
Treefarmer

bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Farmer, knice haul, you probably didn't get far enough to find the zombie stuff. I've only been in the late fall and winter months but the last time I was there, there was plenty of pacific rim stuff, but also a lot of good ole antiques and junk. It's a fun time, when we go we spend the day although my old feets won't let me enjoy like I use to. There's some good food venders there. I'm gonna try to get down that way this winter if possible. ::handshake::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Kniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice haul Philip! Next time you head there send me a PM, maybe we can hook up!

Picked this SOG TRIDENT at my local pawn shop!
Attachments
IMG_4465.JPG
SCOTT

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

treefarmer wrote:Camillus Boy Scout with shrinky dink handles, I guess it's the 72 pattern? Treefarmer
026.JPG
1047 Scout version of the 72. With the 1st class shield, most have the round Scout shield. Probably late '40s through the '50s and maybe into the '60s. You'll see the round shield on the brown Delrin editions.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Jerry, this 1047 Scout Camillus has what I think is a 1946-1950 stamp. On the 2nd chart you posted in the Tang Stamp charts thread, does the '46-'50 have USA below the line NEW YORK? This knife has the short line under CAMILLUS but can't see if it has USA for a bottom line.
The clip blade has been tipped, probably typical of a young'un and a knife. A good one for some one to rehandle.
Treefarmer

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Philip, they've always had the USA beneath the New York. You got me to thinking, Camillus didn't start making the Scout 1047 until (I believe) 1948 or so. That would make your knife fit into a fairly narrow 6-7 or 8 year time slot, late '40s - early to mid '50s or there abouts. Short line with a 1st class shield.
Attachments
Camillus 72 - '46 to '50 Bone Handles Tang Stamp.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TF, you did indeed strike a gold vein! Some real prizes in that bunch. The Camillus Yello-jacket caught my eye right off! ::tu:: ::tu:: But the sleeper is the old Platts.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Philip, they've always had the USA beneath the New York. You got me to thinking, Camillus didn't start making the Scout 1047 until (I believe) 1948 or so. That would make your knife fit into a fairly narrow 6-7 or 8 year time slot, late '40s - early to mid '50s or there abouts. Short line with a 1st class shield.
I think it interesting that Camillus incorporated so many small anomalies into their production lines that seem to intrigue and baffle modern day collectors. Such as the first class shield and the double sided sabre ground blade on a few long line 1047's. Drives a fellow nutty sometimes! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Picked these up the other day at the antique mall.

Ulster bone handled Scout knife
IMG_1772.JPG
My first Camillus 72. I didn't realize just how neat these are until I read the posts about them on AAPK. Now there is one in my pocket. Just a little rehab needed on the tip of that master blade. Is the correct pattern name for the 72 a swell center something?
IMG_1773.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Is the correct pattern name for the 72 a swell center something?
From 1946 until at least 1979, the name Camillus used was "Carpenter's and Whittler's Knife". Sometime between 1979 and 1984 Camillus dropped the "Carpenter's" from the name and went to just plain "Whittler". They are great knives. So easy to get addicted to.

Reprofile the main and drop it in your pocket. It's not the first 72 to end up with a short main.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

jerryd6818
That's what I plan on doing. It's tight and sound otherwise. Picked it up for an "Abe" at the antique mall.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Picked this at my local pawn shop....
Attachments
IMG_4622.JPG
SCOTT

Return to “General Knife Discussion”