KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

Post by djknife13 »

Thanks dogleg. Glenn, you grabbed a couple nice ones. I like the Winchester and that Barber especially and the hammer looks like it will be great for fine tuning knives.___Dave
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

glennbad wrote:Finally got out to my first flea market of the year this morning, with my son. He likes looking for CD's, and of course, I like looking for knives and tools. I have been trying to curb my buying to not just pick up anything. I passed up a lot of knives today that I would normally buy, but I did find some interesting ones...

This is a Hammer brand. I think the blade has been tipped and reshaped, but still cool
fm62418-1.jpg

Kutmaster...it's a little roughly made, but has nice wood handles
fm62418-2.jpg

Small Winchester, has etch, but rusty blades too
fm62418-3.jpg

Not a knife, but a great looking hammer. Might be my new bench hammer
fm62418-4.jpg

This Keen Kutter is a bit of a mess, but $1 is a great price anyway.
fm62418-5.jpg

This might be the catch of the day, an ERA James Barber Sheffield. I think maybe stag covers, steel pins. Awesome knife
fm62418-7.jpg

Never seen one of these from Union. Well used, but still plenty of character.
fm62418-8.jpg
Nice finds, was it a flea market in NH or MA?
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Pile Driver wrote:
NH. Hollis, it usually runs on Sundays. It's hit or miss on quality though
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

glennbad wrote:
Pile Driver wrote:
NH. Hollis, it usually runs on Sundays. It's hit or miss on quality though
When I lived in Massachusetts I used to hit the Hollis flea market quite frequently and found some decent stuff there.Of course that was in the 1980's;I imagine things have changed a bit.

Here are my two scores for today. First one is a Kinfolks fish knife with the etch still very visible and in fantastic shape. Bought at a yard sale for $3.50. Went on to do a job afterward but kept thinking about another knife that was there. On the return trip stopped in and it was still there. Offered the guy $30 for it and he said yes. Another customer who was looking at the other knives on the table didn't look too pleased.
Stamped C.J.(Christopher Johnson)Western Works Sheffield on one side and hand forged England on the other. I believe it is WWII vintage but not sure if it was military issue. I've seen one somewhere;I just can't remember where.
Attachments
KinfolksFishKnife2018-$3.50 001.jpg
KinfolksFishKnife2018-$3.50 002.jpg
KinfolksFishKnife2018-$3.50 003.jpg
ChristopherJohnsonWesternWorksDagger2018 $30 001.jpg
ChristopherJohnsonWesternWorksDagger2018 $30 002.jpg
ChristopherJohnsonWesternWorksDagger2018 $30 003.jpg
ChristopherJohnsonWesternWorksDagger2018 $30 004.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Today is Saturday and after visiting the local flea market and finding nothing but a few old tools I decided to go get my daily coffee at the Golden Arches and head home. After finally getting my coffee waiting behind what had to be half the population of Tecumseh getting orders(it was lunchtime and I should have known better)I headed out the long way around hoping to see some yard sale signs.
Sure enough saw one in fluorescent green beckoning me with the address written on it so I headed that way. Went by the road as the sign had been knocked over so I turned back and finally got to the yard,
Looked like a bunch of "man stuff" and the owner was sitting in the shade with a table full of knives!Unfortunately they were mostly Case and priced way more than I wished to spend.We talked for a bit and I mentioned I collected knives and he said that he used to make knives many years ago but gave it up because of a divorce.
As we walked among his other stuff(mostly tools)he showed me some handle materials and some steel blanks(mostly O1 and some 440 stainless).On one of the tarps was a stag handled carving knife and an unfinished knife blade.
The carver was marked Robeson Germany and the knife blank was etched P.Ramsey. He said it was one he never finished as the grind was not to his liking. Short version:I bought the blank for $5 and the Robeson for a buck!
I may go back and get the blade blanks and handle material(mostly stabilized wood and some white Corian).
Anyway here are the pieces. By the way his name is Paul Ramsey. I'm going to have to look him up as he has supposedly made quite a few knives.
Attachments
PaulRamseyUnfinishedBlade 2018-$5 001.jpg
PaulRamseyUnfinishedBlade 2018-$5 002.jpg
PaulRamseyUnfinishedBlade 2018-$5 003.jpg
RobesonGermanyCarver 2018-$1 001.jpg
RobesonGermanyCarver 2018-$1 002.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dropped in the pawn shop while I was waiting for my pizza and the pawn shop who never has knives had 6 today. A couple of cases caught my eye and after a little haggling I left with both for $45.00. The first is a Case whaler 1199 SH R, I believe from 1981 but with no blade etch. The second is a Case serpentine jack #52087, I think from 1987. Pleased with both and the pizza was good.
DSCN4599.JPG
DSCN4601.JPG
DSCN4602.JPG
DSCN4604.JPG
DSCN4603.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

The Case serpentine jack.
DSCN4594.JPG
DSCN4595.JPG
DSCN4596.JPG
DSCN4597.JPG
DSCN4598.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

doglegg wrote:Dropped in the pawn shop while I was waiting for my pizza and the pawn shop who never has knives had 6 today. A couple of cases caught my eye and after a little haggling I left with both for $45.00. The first is a Case whaler 1199 SH R, I believe from 1981 but with no blade etch. The second is a Case serpentine jack #52087, I think from 1987. Pleased with both and the pizza was good.DSCN4599.JPGDSCN4601.JPGDSCN4602.JPGDSCN4604.JPGDSCN4603.JPG
Nice knives at a very good price, good going. I bought one of those 1199's from and old seasoned knife collector/craftsman years ago and he told me it was one of the best whittling knives he'd ever had. I've never gotten around to trying it out for myself, but I just might have to now that you jarred my memory. ____Dave
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

djknife13 wrote:
doglegg wrote:Dropped in the pawn shop while I was waiting for my pizza and the pawn shop who never has knives had 6 today. A couple of cases caught my eye and after a little haggling I left with both for $45.00. The first is a Case whaler 1199 SH R, I believe from 1981 but with no blade etch. The second is a Case serpentine jack #52087, I think from 1987. Pleased with both and the pizza was good.DSCN4599.JPGDSCN4601.JPGDSCN4602.JPGDSCN4604.JPGDSCN4603.JPG
Nice knives at a very good price, good going. I bought one of those 1199's from and old seasoned knife collector/craftsman years ago and he told me it was one of the best whittling knives he'd ever had. I've never gotten around to trying it out for myself, but I just might have to now that you jarred my memory. ____Dave
Thanks djk, I had not thought of it for whittling as I usually prefer a smaller blade but I may have to give it a try. Any update on you grand son?
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

I think I'd buy a lotto ticket today if I were as lucky as you doglegg. :lol:
Both are real nice knives and a real good deal at that price.
Greg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

sunknife wrote:I think I'd buy a lotto ticket today if I were as lucky as you doglegg. :lol:
Both are real nice knives and a real good deal at that price.
Thanks sunknife, I felt very fortunate for quality and price.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

My find at the local flea market today. I don't normally buy Swiss Army Knives as I already have about 50 of them but this numbered set by Wenger kind of tripped my trigger and the guy who had it bought it because he knows I collect knives. I gave him what he paid for it plus a ten spot and he was happy.Came in a nice hardwood box too!
Attachments
WengerCollection#2184TheLife 2018 $50 004.jpg
WengerCollection#2184TheLife 2018 $50 005.jpg
WengerCollection#2184TheLife 2018 $50 006.jpg
WengerCollection#2184TheLife 2018 $50 007.jpg
WengerCollection#2184TheLife 2018 $50 008.jpg
WengerCollection#2184TheLife 2018 $50 009.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Cool set.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray you might have scored Big Time with those special SAK's There are ebay sellers in Switzerland who often have individual SAK from a set similar to yours and each knife sells for $100-$200. I'm sure this does not apply to every special run SAK.
Here is a Victorinox "Spartan" for $109 listed on ebay now as an example of special run SAK. There are hundreds of similar SAK's 'out there'. You might or might not have scored a high value series.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (7).jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

doglegg wrote:
djknife13 wrote:
Thanks djk, I had not thought of it for whittling as I usually prefer a smaller blade but I may have to give it a try. Any update on you grand son?
doglegg, it probably wouldn't work for detail work but I'm sure it will remove wood quickly to get down to the details. Thanks for asking about my Grandson. He has about a month left.___Dave
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Ray you might have scored Big Time with those special SAK's There are ebay sellers in Switzerland who often have individual SAK from a set similar to yours and each knife sells for $100-$200. I'm sure this does not apply to every special run SAK.
Here is a Victorinox "Spartan" for $109 listed on ebay now as an example of special run SAK. There are hundreds of similar SAK's 'out there'. You might or might not have scored a high value series.
kj
Thanks for the heads-up Roland. I posted some pictures on the Multi-Tool website in their SAK forum and a couple people said they have seen the set go for about $800(!) so I guess I did good. I may have to put this one up for sale as my summer taxes are due the end of next month and that is just over two grand.
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

My knife find of the the day is the large Imperial fish knife with marbled ,I assume ,celluloid scales. Looks to be in unused condition and never sharpened. The quality of early Imperial knives is so much better than the later shell handled knives.
I have to thank my friend Jerry (not an AAPK member yet) for selling it to me. The two smaller knives are a Winchester cattle knife and an Ulster equal end. Was wondering if any other member has knives with this handle material. It seems very stable on all 3 of mine. Thanks Steve B.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

My find is an actual find. I was getting my wife's ice coffee yesterday morning. As I was driving, I noticed what looked like might be a knife in a sheath laying in the road. On the way back, I stopped to see if it was still there, and it was. It's not a high dollar knife, but still a decent knife. I mean, who doesn't like finding a knife, right? I feel bad that someone lost their knife though, but it will be well taken care of.

mora find.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

glennbad wrote:My find is an actual find. I was getting my wife's ice coffee yesterday morning. As I was driving, I noticed what looked like might be a knife in a sheath laying in the road. On the way back, I stopped to see if it was still there, and it was. It's not a high dollar knife, but still a decent knife. I mean, who doesn't like finding a knife, right? I feel bad that someone lost their knife though, but it will be well taken care of.

Good find, glennbad, I used to work for the City on traffic signals and it was amazing the tools I found in the road. Usually ran over but most still useful.

mora find.jpg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

bladebuddy wrote:My knife find of the the day is the large Imperial fish knife with marbled ,I assume ,celluloid scales. Looks to be in unused condition and never sharpened. The quality of early Imperial knives is so much better than the later shell handled knives.
I have to thank my friend Jerry (not an AAPK member yet) for selling it to me. The two smaller knives are a Winchester cattle knife and an Ulster equal end. Was wondering if any other member has knives with this handle material. It seems very stable on all 3 of mine. Thanks Steve B.
Beauty of a find Steve!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Thanks Scott, it must have been my lucky day.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
richard

Post by richard »

pair of old cattaraugus, i picked up. one is a ebony and bone. the other a M.O.P.double spring back.
Attachments
011.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Nice pick ups. Especially like the little whittler.
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

This weeks highlights. An AJ Jordan iron handle, a Shapleigh
and Case 6217 loomfixer.
The iron handle was off eBay the other 2 local.
Kerry
Attachments
41EE33AC-2E8F-47E7-A1F8-203545FB0C62.jpeg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Kerry they're all nice, but that loomfixer………..um, um, um. ::tu:: ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “General Knife Discussion”