KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY

Post by dlr110 »

TripleF wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:27 pm
dlr110 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:25 pm Nice haul Scott, can you tell what brand that stacked leather knife is?
Yes sir. Camillus 1967
Thank you Scott... ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Your ability to find things is amazing, Scott! Nice acquisitions!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

tvic wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:16 pm Your ability to find things is amazing, Scott! Nice acquisitions!
TY ::handshake:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Scott,

Seeing that Chicago Cutlery boning knife brought back some great memories for me. I used to use that very style of knife during my meat cutting days. It's a great boning knife and holds an edge quite well. That one looks as though it's never been used or abused. Nice find.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Reverand wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:49 am Victorinox with Uline logo. I do not know the model name.
The model name is Huntsman. Based on what I see in the photos, the scales don't look horrible. Uline plaid SAKs, in my experience, are uncommon.

Nice pick-ups from everyone! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

KLJ77 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:05 pm Scott,

Seeing that Chicago Cutlery boning knife brought back some great memories for me. I used to use that very style of knife during my meat cutting days. It's a great boning knife and holds an edge quite well. That one looks as though it's never been used or abused. Nice find.
Cool.
Strangely enough she was in a not good looking state. I cleaned the light rust off the blade, sanded the handle with steel wool, then
added a light coat of Boiled Linseed Oil. I do have to agree.....looks purty knice!!
Attachments
IMG_8046.JPG
SCOTT

tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Don’t know how it looked before, Scott, but it looks mighty nice now!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Bought two lower valued knives yesterday, a Schrade new old stock 293Y, and a German Albert Lyman (never heard of this brand).____Dave
Attachments
DSC01687.JPG
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

TripleF wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 am I do have to agree.....looks purty knice!!
Sure does! ::tu::
djknife13 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 pm Bought two lower valued knives yesterday...
A nice duo! ::tu:: What is the tool in the back layer of the Albert Lyman?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:56 pm
TripleF wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 am I do have to agree.....looks purty knice!!
Sure does! ::tu::
djknife13 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 pm Bought two lower valued knives yesterday...
A nice duo! ::tu:: What is the tool in the back layer of the Albert Lyman?
It's a fingernail file and cleaner.___Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

djknife13 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 pm Bought two lower valued knives yesterday, a Schrade new old stock 293Y, and a German Albert Lyman (never heard of this brand).____Dave
That yeller Schrade would be a great work horse! Something about old yellow handled knives that remind me of days gone by. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Great finds, DJ!
Tim
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:08 pm
djknife13 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 pm Bought two lower valued knives yesterday, a Schrade new old stock 293Y, and a German Albert Lyman (never heard of this brand).____Dave
That yeller Schrade would be a great work horse! Something about old yellow handled knives that remind me of days gone by. ::tu::
Treefarmer
I like the yellow handles. Makes it easier to find when you lay them down.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Dave: I never heard of it either so I looked it up in Goins. Not listed there ! It must be pretty obscure if Goins don’t list it.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Well here's my haul from out in town today.
Couple of Made in Japan Promotional; 1 Imperial; 1 Uncle Henry; 2 Colonials; 1 Western Boulder, Colo. and 1 CASE XX with 1 broken blade. I think I can take the blade stub out and just make it a two blade. It's not going anywhere except in my display.
20220831_121825.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

From estate sale today.....drove 34 miles one way!!

The bone handled pocket urility knife has some letters..."ITTERT & CO? I can't see the first letter.
Attachments
IMG_8294.JPG
SCOTT

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I made a trip to New Graham Knives (I think the only cutlery store miles around--and I'm not that far from it), and I actually kept to my list this time.
IMG_20220902_122031(1).jpg
Another forum I'm on is doing a Buck 112 challenge, and I find the Slim Selects are the easiest to tote. I didn't have one for the 112, and had been wanting one for a couple of years, as a 110 is too big for EDC.
IMG_20220902_122648.jpg
I've been wanting to try an Ontario RAT for some time now.

The regular RAT was a monster in person. I ended up going with a smaller RAT II in D2 with the base nylon plastic handles.
IMG_20220902_122737.jpg
I needed a sheath for an old PAL RH-70 I'd purchased recently, figuring they did have some cheap Mexican-made sheath for ten bucks. I found one sheath that fit it.
IMG_20220902_122837.jpg
Spent $25, but you'll see why in a minute.

It's a Randall. Unfortunately, the stone pocket has been removed (could Randall re-sew one on for me?). The clerk said the owner had found it in the back. I suspect he got a replacement sheath from Randall when he got the knife this sheath came with in a collection; and then sold this one on.
IMG_20220902_122840.jpg
Has to be the best-made sheath I own. I hope to eventually find a proper Randall to fit, but I can't exactly afford one.
Attachments
IMG_20220902_122840.jpg
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Stopped at a local road side flea market this morning , guy had some old knives which is kind of rare here. Found this Ulster Old Timer 114OT in fair condition. I know it's not rare or valuable but It's my first Ulster knife so there is that. Missing the bail but the blades all have good snap. Couldn't pass it up for $15.00 plus he threw in a cool Zippo letter opener.
Attachments
DSC_4751.JPG
DSC_4753.JPG
DSC_4757.JPG
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:04 pm I made a trip to New Graham Knives (I think the only cutlery store miles around--and I'm not that far from it), and I actually kept to my list this time.

IMG_20220902_122031(1).jpg

Another forum I'm on is doing a Buck 112 challenge, and I find the Slim Selects are the easiest to tote. I didn't have one for the 112, and had been wanting one for a couple of years, as a 110 is too big for EDC.

IMG_20220902_122648.jpg

I've been wanting to try an Ontario RAT for some time now.

The regular RAT was a monster in person. I ended up going with a smaller RAT II in D2 with the base nylon plastic handles.

IMG_20220902_122737.jpg

I needed a sheath for an old PAL RH-70 I'd purchased recently, figuring they did have some cheap Mexican-made sheath for ten bucks. I found one sheath that fit it.

IMG_20220902_122837.jpg

Spent $25, but you'll see why in a minute.

It's a Randall. Unfortunately, the stone pocket has been removed (could Randall re-sew one on for me?). The clerk said the owner had found it in the back. I suspect he got a replacement sheath from Randall when he got the knife this sheath came with in a collection; and then sold this one on.

IMG_20220902_122840.jpg

Has to be the best-made sheath I own. I hope to eventually find a proper Randall to fit, but I can't exactly afford one.
You should enjoy carrying the Rat II I’ve carried one in my rotation for last year and a half, the D2 steel is great for EDC under normal condition I sharpen it once every other month, but I just hit it with 800-1000 grit diamond wicked edge and it holds edge very well.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
gordonjohn

Post by gordonjohn »

Heres a HoBo knife I found today at a estate for 6 bucks it is a japan made it is marked on the sheath Diaeagle it has not seen much use if any.
Attachments
PICT0046.JPG
PICT0048.JPG
PICT0050.JPG
PICT0051.JPG
PICT0053.JPG
PICT0054.JPG
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Nice, Gordon!
Tim
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Technically this is more like "knife finds of the last two weeks", but ... Whatever.

Mainly parts knives rather than good knives or even projects, but some things I couldn't pass up as I perused some antique stores and thrift stores:

Russel
Russel
Russel
Russel
A Russel stainless table knife. The blade has a bend and the handle is cracked, but for $1 - worth it.
Primble
Primble
Primble with a good frame? The Main is pretty worn, but it might be useable. Probably wasted $3
Boker Congress
Boker Congress
A Boker Congress with a good pen. I had thought that the coping blade was okay at first, but is deeply pitted. I might be able to reshape it into another pen blade, maybe not. I have a couple of these that need blades. The bone handles, shield, and one pen should be worth my $3.
Frost Congress
Frost Congress
A Frost Congress that was free. The Rams horn is chipped on the pile side. My brother was using it to cut twine when one blade snapped. I will temper the blades if I decide to use them, since they are that brittle.
IMG_20220829_212020295-1.jpg
IMG_20220829_212110465-1.jpg
A Carborundum stone #149L. The leather pouch was as brittle as glass, and full of dirt and grime when I bought it for $3.
After a week of treatment, the leather was supple enough to clean. After a few rounds of saddle soap on the leather and dishwashing detergent on the stone, it looks nice enough, and put a decent edge on my favorite Barlow.
After
After
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Woops. I forgot two new (to me) knives.
Case
Case
A $10 Case 3318 Stockman that has already seen some pocket time.

Argyle
Argyle
IMG_20220829_213937362-1-1.jpg
And a German-made Argyle Whittler that has seen better days. I like the groove that is machines across the bolsters and the MOP. That would be a unique look on a good knife. I doubt that I will restore this one, but I felt too sorry for it to leave it in the store.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I like my Carborundum stones. They seem to quickly field-sharpen an edge and are designed to work well with only water. I tend to just keep those in my fencing tool and camping gear packs instead of fancy diamond stones--the problem is no one makes any stone quite like them anymore. I bought a Norton that is the same stone as what is in a Pilot's Survival Knife sheath, and it's nowhere near as good as a Bear Brand by Norton than the 1950s that I keep in the fencing tool pack for my machete and Mora knife.

A member here bought a lot that had a really beat-up 3318 from 2003 that he didn't want, so he sent it on to me. It's a good quality knife that just simply gets the job done. It's in such a condition that I don't worry about babying it (the coping blade has been made into a completely round-tip blade), but it does hold an edge.

Most of my really old knives aren't much different from that old Argyle. It's really neat looking at how many hand operations went into these more than 100 year old knives.
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Nice finds, Reverand! I like to see someone rescue these seemingly hopeless knives and do something with them.
Tim

Return to “General Knife Discussion”