Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
313 Mike

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by 313 Mike »

I received this Case workman's series 6375 big stockman in blue delrin as a most generous gift from a friend and forum member some time ago...I really liked the knife but wanted to upgrade the covers. I ordered some "Lapis blue bone" from Culpeppers and sent it on to Glenn, and received the finished product back in yesterday's mail. Here she is...nice upgrade I think!
Attachments
20170524_104216.jpg
20170716_102200.jpg
20170716_102211.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations to both you and Glenn on a very handsome and distinguished knife. ::tu::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

That's really nice Mike. Good job Glenn.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
bdev

Post by bdev »

Picked up the Voyles Cutlery Sodbuster the other day. Made by Queen in 1978 and measures 3 5/8". Black Bear Skinner.
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

bdev wrote:Picked up the Voyles Cutlery Sodbuster the other day. Made by Queen in 1978 and measures 3 5/8". Black Bear Skinner.

DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0006.JPG
I like that Bruno! ::tu:: Very sleek!
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Mike, what a handsome knife. Congratulations to you and Glenn! ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

FRJ wrote:Mike, what a handsome knife. Congratulations to you and Glenn! ::tu:: ::tu::
X2!!!! NICE!!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Nice sod buster Bruno! ::tu:: Dang now there is another knife that I need to keep and eye out for! ::nod::
bdev

Post by bdev »

#goldpan wrote:Nice sod buster Bruno! ::tu:: Dang now there is another knife that I need to keep and eye out for! ::nod::
gsmith7158 wrote:
bdev wrote:Picked up the Voyles Cutlery Sodbuster the other day. Made by Queen in 1978 and measures 3 5/8". Black Bear Skinner.

DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0006.JPG
I like that Bruno! ::tu:: Very sleek!

Thanks guys. goldpan....you might not have to look far. This one might be listed in my AAPK store soon.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

PM in bound Bruno!
outkast

Post by outkast »

Another shell puller added to the box Gebr Butz, Solingen
Gebr Butz 1.jpg
Gebr Butz 2.jpg
Gebr Butz 3.jpg
Gebr Butz 4.jpg
7-17-17 1.jpg
7-17-17 2.jpg
7-17-17 3.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

WOW!
Nice knives, outcast. ::tu::
Joe
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Outcast those are a wonderful and diverse group of shell pullers! Very Nice--stag a plenty ::nod:: Lloyd
Lloyd
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

A couple single blade trappers straight from China. $13.00 each, free shipping. :D
Attachments
Lees knives.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

ludwig26 wrote:Bought this in a junk store, no sheath.
I think handles are horn. On the road so no tape measure.
Ludwig, what you have there is a Collins #18 Pequeno Machete, or little machete.

The ones with green horn handles like yours are hard to come by. Either they have been busted up or the horn beetles have gotten to them.

They were first made by Collins in 1926 and Collins production continued up through about 1943 during WW2.

This is the knife that keeps getting called (INCORRECTLY) the V44 Marine Raider knife. Cole called them the V44 Types 1,2,3,4 (Collins, CaseXX, Western, Kinfolks) and the CaseXX Fixed blade V44, the type 5. I'm not certain if Cole decided to name them that or if he was just following along with the prevailing nomenclature.

Starting in 1934, they became THE survival knife used by the Army Air Corps as part of their M592 Seat Pad Survival Pack aka Jungle Bailout Pack since they were primarily used on AAC planes flying in Central and South America operations and training missions.

In 1938, the M592 became a Back Pad Kit - shown here with a REAL V44 :mrgreen:

At some point, Collins started using black bakelite for the handles. So your knife was made somewhere between 1926 and whenever the change was made. When Case and Western made clones, their's were made exclusively with black bakelite handles.

With all the Army and Navy planes heading to the Pacific, Collins could not keep up with the demand for the #18 (as they were also pouring out as many full-sized machetes and other clearing tools as they could.

The government then wrote out contracts for Case and Western to make copies of the #18. I'm not sure of the numbers but I've seen that around 50,000 of them. Kinfolks made them as well, but most likely for private purchase in PXs/Exchanges.
Case XX version

Western Version

The Kinfolks version is slightly larger than the #18/Case/Western versions and will NOT fit in the M592 kits. Also no contract with Kinfolks for the knives has surfaced over the years. The knives were very popular and frequently "liberated" from the Survival packs, so Kinfolks and the PXs were probably trying to capitalize on that.

The #18/clones were replaced in the M592 in late 1942 with the 10" folding machete, although the #18 versions were used until the contracts ran out.

ONLY the Case XX "type 5" fixed blade machete is the REAL V44. It replaced the #18/clones and the 10# folding machete in the M592 in 1944. V-44 comes from Case's in house designation of the small fixed blade machete.

Other than the obvious names stamped into the blades, A Western can be recognized at a distance from the Collins/Case /Kinfolks version by the guard. The other 3 used big brass guards as seen on yours. Western used a simple steel oval.

Edit - After reviewing what I wrote, I realized that I had a sentence in the wrong place. I moved the sentence to where it belongs.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, zzy, what an incredibly informative post and clearly stated as well.
Not my thread or area of collecting but i enjoyed reading it and learning.
Thank you.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

What were the other contents in the survival packs?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Thanks zzyzzogeton. That was very informative and I appreciate you taking the time to do that.
It was really nothing I collect so I sold it on eBay and will use the proceeds to help my Barlow pile grow.
Are the knives in your post yours? If so you have a wonderful collection.
Kerry
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Those are pics I swiped from the internet that depict the various items. I have at least 1 of each, but as I mentioned in some post, I lost all my pics a while back when my hard drive crapped out and my backup tape turned out to be corrupted. I just haven't had the time to go back and redo every thing. One of the many items on my To Do list.

I really wish I did have 2 complete M592 kits, but those are rarer than hen's teeth.

The kits' contents varied by Area of Operation and sometimes by mission. Navy pilots in the Pacific all had a life raft knife in the the kits where Army pilots in Europe seldom did. Winter ops would include heavy gloves while summer ops, light weight utility gloves were packed.

A kit SHOULD have had the following --
M592 Back Pad Kit Contents: Poncho Cover, Gloves, Mosquito Headnet, Instruction Book,
Magnifying Lens, Signaling Mirror, Machete, Sunburn Ointment, Compass, Cotton Line, First
Aid Kit, Emergency Rations, Jack Knife, Oil, Fishing Kit, Whistle, Drinking Water, Sharpening
stone, Pyrotechnic Kit (Signal and Smoke Flares), Salt Tablets, Waterproof Tape, Safety Pins

Sometimes things went missing. Sometimes there were shortages and the kits came with "most" of the stuff. Sometimes pilots would add their own item - a common item was an extra 20 or 30 rounds for their sidearm, usually a 1911, but some carried revolvers of various calibers.

The Navy also had a "gold kit" which included 3 large gold rings and 5 gold coins ( 3 British -1 sovereign and 2 half-sovereigns and 2 French 0 10 Franc and 20 Franc) with which to buy stuff or bribe folks if shot down.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

I would like to add that kit to my "California Earthquake Bag" but I think Earthquake Insurance would be less expensive. ::shrug::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

Picked up my first Old Timer of the bay the other day and it arrived today. Got a pretty nice 34OT - pretty nice to me anyway. Needs cleaned and sharpened but I think it'll be a nice piece. I wanted it to whittle with and think it ought to serve my purposes, especially for $9.13 delivered!

Pardon the poor photos; it was too hot to go outside for natural lighting :shock:
Attachments
IMG_2063.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2065.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG
Greg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

WV Papaw wrote:Picked up my first Old Timer of the bay the other day and it arrived today. Got a pretty nice 34OT - pretty nice to me anyway. Needs cleaned and sharpened but I think it'll be a nice piece. I wanted it to whittle with and think it ought to serve my purposes, especially for $9.13 delivered!

Pardon the poor photos; it was too hot to go outside for natural lighting :shock:

Good knife at a decent price! I have done mods on a few of these 34OT's. They seem to hit the sweet spot for size, although they may be a little small in the hand for some.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Here's a cheapie horn handled shell puller from china that came with a little surprise bonus knife.
Attachments
Horn shell puller& bonus.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

WV Papaw wrote:Picked up my first Old Timer of the bay the other day and it arrived today. Got a pretty nice 34OT - pretty nice to me anyway. Needs cleaned and sharpened but I think it'll be a nice piece. I wanted it to whittle with and think it ought to serve my purposes, especially for $9.13 delivered!

No complaints about that. A good solid work knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Case 365, Outters (no name), Schrade 104OT
Attachments
IMG_2684.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “General Knife Discussion”