Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
J1890

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by J1890 »

GEC 43 and Northwoods HarrisonBay.
B32180D2-44EC-414B-911A-D8B5187851CC.jpeg
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

J1890 wrote:GEC 43 and Northwoods HarrisonBay.
Is that kudu bone on both of those? Looks knice. ::tu::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Totally beautiful knives these last few weeks guys... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sadly nothing to report on my end, had to buy new glasses and got started in electric guitar. Maybe next month... ::teary_eyes::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
J1890

Post by J1890 »

doglegg wrote:
J1890 wrote:GEC 43 and Northwoods HarrisonBay.
Is that kudu bone on both of those? Looks knice. ::tu::
Kudu on the Harrison and orange camel bone on the 43.
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My A.G.Russell Curved Regular Jack came today. Someone else commented that he thought these might be 2nds and I'm of a mind to agree with him. It's a fairly nice knife but it has a couple or three "defects". Nothing terribly awful but defects just the same. Sorry to be nit picky but just not perfect.
DSC00002.JPG
#1, a notch in the liner.
Defect #1.JPG
#2 Liner stands slightly proud of the handle.
Defect #2.JPG
#3 Space between the liner and the back spring.
Defect #3.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Jerry, I too was a bit disappointed in a one that came in the mail yesterday! :( The knife was described as having no crack or chips in the bone handles, pictures looked okay but when it arrived there was a crack in the mark side bone! I went back and blew up the original picture in the ad and sure enough it shows the crack. I took the man at his word and didn't look any further, the etch is still visible, there is no blade wear, a great little Queen #11EO except for the crack. Found my waders had sprung a leak while wading in the shallow end of the Bay. ::facepalm:: Cleaned her up and let a drop of glue stabilize the crack and sent the old boy a note concerning his inaccurate description, nicely worded, I might add. I'll keep the knife and count it a lesson learned. ::tu::
As received, the bottom half of the blade shows very few scratches, apparently spent a lot of time riding in some one's pocket with their key and pocket change.
As received, the bottom half of the blade shows very few scratches, apparently spent a lot of time riding in some one's pocket with their key and pocket change.
After a little spit and polish she looks a bit better for being 60 +/- years old, sure hate the crack.
After a little spit and polish she looks a bit better for being 60 +/- years old, sure hate the crack.
Pile side is perfect!
Pile side is perfect!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Phil, when you said crack I was thinking pin crack. When I blew the picture up and saw it was a full crack across the face, that would bum me out a little more. I hate when I get a old knife I really like and get surprised by something I didn't see coming. Still is a nice old knife and the crack is a knife's battle scar instead of a factory screw-up. I had a 100 plus stag hawkbill split in my hand just after I bought it. The stag was getting old and brittle. I stabilized it with epoxy and oiled the stag and the crack stopped. Jerry, I assume those are made in the rim countries as I'm still thinking most USA companies wouldn't let them out the door with even small defects but the few times I've purchased a knife from somewhere other than USA, England or Germany, I've come to expect small defects. I keep shaking my head when collectors say how wonderful their China made knives are when I get one and it is less that what I see coming out of the better factories. My knife club used to get Queen made knives for years and a few of the members wanted cheaper brands, and when we'd explore one of them, we'd get one to compare, and always went back to Queen. We quit doing club knives a few years ago as our club slowly dies off along with our aging members.____Dave
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Phillip that's a little disappointing that the seller would make that claim on that one.of course he may be like me, old and can't see without mucho magnification. That'll still make a good EDC.
Here's a couple weeks worth from the mail basket. I've been having a hard time getting motor-vated to take pics lately
Attachments
IMG_5116 (2).JPG
IMG_5119 (2).JPG
IMG_5124 (2).JPG
IMG_5125 (2).JPG
IMG_5126 (2).JPG
IMG_5127 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

djknife13 wrote: Jerry, I assume those are made in the rim countries as I'm still thinking most USA companies wouldn't let them out the door with even small defects but the few times I've purchased a knife from somewhere other than USA, England or Germany, I've come to expect small defects. I keep shaking my head when collectors say how wonderful their China made knives are when I get one and it is less that what I see coming out of the better factories. Dave
You are correct. They were made in China. As I said, I think these were seconds and not a general indictment of the entire run.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Phillip that's a little disappointing that the seller would make that claim on that one.of course he may be like me, old and can't see without mucho magnification. That'll still make a good EDC.
Here's a couple weeks worth from the mail basket. I've been having a hard time getting motor-vated to take pics lately
Greg, you got drool all over my keyboard.____Dave
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Thanks Dave! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Greg those are all some kinda wonderful.
Here are three new ones I picked up from Gary Kennedy, Kennedy Knives. A Seki made Bulldog w/ pearl handles. A Bulldog stockman in green bone. And this gorgeous stag Schatt and Morgan Congress. This one is gorgeous.
These are my first pics w/ my new IPhone 10XR. I like how easy this is to use. I would recommend that phone to anyone. It has facial recognition so it unlocks immediately when you pick it up. No more fingerprint or 4 digit code to enter, nice.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0004.jpeg
IMG_0007.jpeg
IMG_0001.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Greg you have a wonderful delivery person! I'm in love with your Northwoods Whittler.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

gsmith7158 wrote:Phillip that's a little disappointing that the seller would make that claim on that one.of course he may be like me, old and can't see without mucho magnification. That'll still make a good EDC.
That's quite a good haul there Greg! ::tu::
David
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Greg, SSK, now lets play knice and leave a little for everyone else. Great knives all. ::tu::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Even more awesome knives guys... ::tu:: ::tu::
Man your phone is putting out some pro looking photos their SSk. The cameras sure have gotten good on em' finally. That's what i need to get next, camera/phone, so i can post pics of all my knives... ::nod:: ::nod::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

This afternoon I received a message from the seller of the Queen with the cracked handle. I thought I would share it with y'all because I feel he is a straight shooter, he is not a knife dealer just a seller of misc. items. Here's his message:

"11EO Queen

Hi Phil,
I am so sorry that you weren't completely happy with the knife. It was my son's knife he wanted me to sell for him. I didn't even realize that it had a crack in the handle. If I had seen it, I would have included it with the description. I would be willing to give you a big discount on another item. If you are interested in the Case Hawkbill, I would sell it you for 50% off and free shipping. Just message me and tell me if you are interested in anything else and I'll give you a discount on it. Hope to work with you again. Have a great day!"

I appreciate his response, not interested in the Case 11011, pretty rough looking and the price is a bit steep even with his proposal, however his attitude is top notch in my book! I'll continue to check his site, maybe he'll find another good one.
Took a picture of the Queens I could find with real Winterbottom handles, the one the top is the one with the problem, it sure goes well with the #19 Trapper that gets some pocket time.
Treefarmer
003.JPG

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

King Philip, that is quiet a harem of Queens you have there. I bet it continues to grow. I hope so. Congrats. ::nod:: ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Treefarmer, The most important thing is that you are satisfied with whatever corrective action the seller takes. Having said that, if a seller specifies that there are no cracks or chips that clearly implies that he has checked for those defects. Either your seller never looked, or he did and chose to ignore the issue hoping that the sale would transpire and the buyer would not raise the matter. Either way, I have difficulty thinking of him as a straight shooter.

You, being a kindly and forgiving man, have judged in a kindly fashion. I, being otherwise, am....well, you catch my drift. ::skeptic::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

treefarmer wrote:This afternoon I received a message from the seller of the Queen with the cracked handle. I thought I would share it with y'all because I feel he is a straight shooter, he is not a knife dealer just a seller of misc. items. Here's his message:

"11EO Queen

Hi Phil,
I am so sorry that you weren't completely happy with the knife. It was my son's knife he wanted me to sell for him. I didn't even realize that it had a crack in the handle. If I had seen it, I would have included it with the description. I would be willing to give you a big discount on another item. If you are interested in the Case Hawkbill, I would sell it you for 50% off and free shipping. Just message me and tell me if you are interested in anything else and I'll give you a discount on it. Hope to work with you again. Have a great day!"

I appreciate his response, not interested in the Case 11011, pretty rough looking and the price is a bit steep even with his proposal, however his attitude is top notch in my book! I'll continue to check his site, maybe he'll find another good one.
Took a picture of the Queens I could find with real Winterbottom handles, the one the top is the one with the problem, it sure goes well with the #19 Trapper that gets some pocket time.
Treefarmer
003.JPG
Treefarmer, I agree w/ QS. If anyone is ever not satisfied w/ any knife I sell, I offer to take it back and give a full refund. Offering a discount on some other knife, while better than nothing, isn’t good enough. You the customer must be satisfied with it. I wouldn’t buy a knife or keep one w/ a crack in it. But I don’t buy and collect older knives, so I am not the best person to speak on the subject. But from a sellers point of view, he didn’t do enough.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Offering a "discount" on another product is a scam. Consider Menards home centers. Big advertisement -- 11% off on everything. Here's the catch. You pay full retail and they give you your 11% off in a store credit that can only be redeemed at Menards (the small print says "no cash value"). So now, in order to get your 11% you have to buy more of their crap.

Same, same with your knife. Seller says, "I'll take care of your complaint by offering to sell you more of my crap (that I marked up 300%) at a 50% discount". So you get the "opportunity" to purchase a knife you don't really want for only 50% more than it's normal selling price. A little convoluted but the bottom line is you're getting hosed again if you take his "deal".
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Fellers, the man isn't a knife dealer, he sells a lot of art (paintings, sculptures, etc.), only 2 knives listed amongst his menagerie. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for your comments and I'll try to be more observant as I wade around in the shallow, muddy end of the bay. :)
Treefarmer

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am a 'knife guy' and i have missed cracks on knives i have sold and then offered full refund for return. It is easy for a non knife person to miss seeing a crack and to not understand the significance of a crack to a collector.
In this case TF is being a bit 'generous' to the seller and i applaud his kind attitude. The only time i get upset is if the seller actually tried to hide some 'issue'. I doubt this seller was trying to hide anything.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

ken98k wrote:
Ivoryman wrote:Old neighbor of mine is regularly showing off his tactical/cigarette lighter type knives to me and asking me what I like to carry. Did some favors for him so he wanted to show me he appreciated it. I showed him my fare. So he dug this out of his old box and sent me home with it. Nice guy. Nice knife. Very solid lock up and if I didn't know better I would say it was some Japanese Seki made piece. But nope, just a plain old Portland, OR Gerber. Nice bolsters embellishment though. Sweeeeeeet, smooth action and bank vault lock up. Good antler.
I think that has to be the best looking Gerber I've ever seen! ::tu::
Well I don't know anything about it. The neighbor said he bought it from the Gerber factory/store or whatever existed way back when at the time Gerber was in Portland. He didn't say it was made in Portland, he said the factory was there and that's where he boughtt it decades ago, so I don't know if they had knives made in Japan or Portland or what, just that Portland was the place he bought it.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Another Ratcliffe for the pile ... really like the appaloosa purple sides on this one - somehow, it feels slimmer in the hand --->
IMG_8556.JPG
IMG_8558.JPG
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “General Knife Discussion”