Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jmh58

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by jmh58 »

Rolling down the Boker Hiway as of late I see Garry!! NICE!! ::tu::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you John. This one came from Kennedy Knives. With the Bulldog knives I quickly learned I could expect consistently fine quality. With Boker I wans't sure what to expect, but as it has turned out so far (3 pieces) I have been impressed. Either they are maintaining excellent QC or, perhaps, I have been exceptionally fortunate in my selections. Time will invariably tell.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote:Yesterday's mail brought this little beauty from Randy's store (#goldpan). Glad to see Randy conquering the bad stuff and back on the forum. Thanks Randy for the quick exemplary service. It's the first Doc I've bought in a long time. These Queen made Doctor's knives are just spectacular and feel soooo good in the hand. If it had a spear master instead of the clip, it would be perfect.
The entire reason I didn't pull the trigger on that (it's still in my wishlist) is because I remember you were asking after a red bone Case doc I have, and I figured it would probably be unfair not to give you first dibs. ::poke:: :lol: Glad you jumped on it. ::tu::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Yesterday's mail brought this little beauty from Randy's store (#goldpan). Glad to see Randy conquering the bad stuff and back on the forum. Thanks Randy for the quick exemplary service. It's the first Doc I've bought in a long time. These Queen made Doctor's knives are just spectacular and feel soooo good in the hand. If it had a spear master instead of the clip, it would be perfect.
The entire reason I didn't pull the trigger on that (it's still in my wishlist) is because I remember you were asking after a red bone Case doc I have, and I figured it would probably be unfair not to give you first dibs. ::poke:: :lol: Glad you jumped on it. ::tu::
Ahh, the behind the scenes stuff that's going on but is not apparent. Thank you much Tony. I really appreciate you laying back. She's a beauty.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Quick Steel wrote:Thank you John. This one came from Kennedy Knives. With the Bulldog knives I quickly learned I could expect consistently fine quality. With Boker I wans't sure what to expect, but as it has turned out so far (3 pieces) I have been impressed. Either they are maintaining excellent QC or, perhaps, I have been exceptionally fortunate in my selections. Time will invariably tell.

QS, I have never had an issue w/ any Boker that I have owned, even some made in Argentina. I can’t speak for the Chinese Boker Plus knives, I don’t buy those. I think you can count on consistency from the German made Bokers.
Here are a few that I got for Christmas. Both from the custom knives that JKD offered earlier this month. The first one is a white steel Damascus utility knife w/ a premium Desert Ironwood handle. That white steel Damascus is beautiful and man is that one sharp. The other one is a Higonokami from Master Inagaki.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5001.jpeg
IMG_5006.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, that utility knife is superb. The Desert Iornwood is...spectacular. What a wonderful piece of cutlery.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:Mark, that utility knife is superb. The Desert Iornwood is...spectacular. What a wonderful piece of cutlery.
QS, Thank you. This one sold out quickly and is one of my favorites.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Added a couple of Winchesters recently.
First is a 3-3/8" ebony handled sleeveboard pen that I acquired from Gino sometime within the the last couple months, I forget when. I believe the model # stamped on the tang reads 2631. The sleeveboard shape, ebony handles and shield shape give it an authentic vintage look to my eyes. Its a nice watch pocket sized knife that I'm happy to have.
Second is a 3-5/8" yellow handled equal end cigar I acquired on e-bay a few days ago, 1988 black box, model #2991. With the exception of two tight and tiny hairlines at center pins to liners that are hardly visible to the naked eye this knife is perfect. Fit and finish quality is exceptional IMHO. I can run my fingers over the scales and not even feel the pins or transitions at the bolsters. Blade pull is medium with smooth opening and closing, no half stops.
Seller listed handle material as synthetic but I believe it to be bone. Can't find any info on it, if any of you have knowledge of Winchester/Blue Grass Cutlery knives I would welcome your opinion.
Attachments
Winchesters 2 - 1.jpg
Winchester 3 - 1.jpg
Winchesters 4 - 1.jpg
Greg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

sunknife wrote: Seller listed handle material as synthetic but I believe it to be bone. Can't find any info on it, if any of you have knowledge of Winchester/Blue Grass Cutlery knives I would welcome your opinion.
Want to know for sure? Less than $2 on eBay. ---► https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat= ... pe&_sop=15
45x microscope - Labeled.jpg
I have a handful of those late '80s/early '90s Black Box Winchesters that came from Queen (I'm pretty sure) via Blue Grass Cutlery (the general consensus of opinion is that Blue Grass Cutlery never manufactured anything.) They are really nice knives.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

jerryd6818 wrote:
sunknife wrote: Seller listed handle material as synthetic but I believe it to be bone. Can't find any info on it, if any of you have knowledge of Winchester/Blue Grass Cutlery knives I would welcome your opinion.
Want to know for sure? Less than $2 on eBay. ---► https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat= ... pe&_sop=15
45x microscope - Labeled.jpg

I have a handful of those late '80s/early '90s Black Box Winchesters that came from Queen (I'm pretty sure) via Blue Grass Cutlery (the general consensus of opinion is that Blue Grass Cutlery never manufactured anything.) They are really nice knives.
Thanks for the suggestion on the loup Jerry. I broke down and ordered one, cheaper than a cup of coffee. :lol:
Thanks also for the info on the Queen/Blue Grass connection, always something for a novice like me to learn here. The knife seems to be very well made
and I've seen some other Winchester patterns from that time frame that got me interested as well. There seems to be no end to this collecting addiction,
always another knife out there calling to me. :)
Greg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

sunknife wrote: There seems to be no end to this collecting addiction,
always another knife out there calling to me. :)
That's God's own truth. Don't feel all on your lonesome.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This should look familiar. It’s an A.G. Russell Pinched Peanut in mammoth ivory. Love the way he designed these blades and the pinch on the front bolster. That backspring/blade meet up is as sweet as any Seki made knife, no gap. The finish is as good as it gets. I know these are made in Seki but finished in A.G.’s shop. Excellent.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5014.jpeg
IMG_5015.jpeg
IMG_5017.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: That backspring/blade meet up is as sweet as any Seki made knife, no gap.
SSk
Am I correct? Isn't one of the names for that, "the run-up"?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:This should look familiar. It’s an A.G. Russell Pinched Peanut in mammoth ivory. Love the way he designed these blades and the pinch on the front bolster. That backspring/blade meet up is as sweet as any Seki made knife, no gap. The finish is as good as it gets. I know these are made in Seki but finished in A.G.’s shop. Excellent.
SSk
Sweet knife, Mark! I've been wanting one of those for years but will probably never get one unless I buy it today. Being an Illinois resident I apparently can't buy Mammoth Ivory after January 1st. Should have bought one long ago.

Very nice knife!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

jerryd6818 wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: That backspring/blade meet up is as sweet as any Seki made knife, no gap.
SSk
Am I correct? Isn't one of the names for that, "the run-up"?
Jerry, Thank you, I knew that had to have a name, but for the life of me I couldn’t recall it. Now I can use the right terminology.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:This should look familiar. It’s an A.G. Russell Pinched Peanut in mammoth ivory. Love the way he designed these blades and the pinch on the front bolster. That backspring/blade meet up is as sweet as any Seki made knife, no gap. The finish is as good as it gets. I know these are made in Seki but finished in A.G.’s shop. Excellent.
SSk
Sweet knife, Mark! I've been wanting one of those for years but will probably never get one unless I buy it today. Being an Illinois resident I apparently can't buy Mammoth Ivory after January 1st. Should have bought one long ago.

Very nice knife!
Rick, I think it’s a shame what legislators do. There is no reason on God’s green earth for that. Hope you get one. A.G. has made these in different handle materials so if nothing else you could get one of those. On the Moki thread someone posted one in Chinese Quince wood, it’s really nice looking.
Mark
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Rick, I think it’s a shame what legislators do. There is no reason on God’s green earth for that. Hope you get one. A.G. has made these in different handle materials so if nothing else you could get one of those. On the Moki thread someone posted one in Chinese Quince wood, it’s really nice looking.
Mark
Good point, Mark and thank you for the reminder. I knew these were offered in a couple of different handle options but I had forgotten about it. Looks like I won't be left out after all If I decide to track one down.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

SSk

Nice score SSK, that peanut has very refined look about it. ::tu::
Greg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Santa Claus was late. But better late than never.
The haul for today:
Camillus 21
Camillus 41
Camillus 76
Camillus 76
Camillus 69
Camillus Stockman
:D :D :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Nice batch of Camillus NW NY, I especially like the stockman but all are good scores. ::tu::
Greg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This very nice Giraffe bone Fremont jack just arrived this afternoon.
Attachments
008.JPG
009.JPG
011.JPG
011.JPG (64.68 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
014.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Greg, very nice knife buddy...
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Thanks Justin! ::handshake::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A Solingen Bulldog with real abalone scales. More photos in Bulldog thread.
P1030026.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ooooh, nice!
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”