Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by dlr110 »

cudgee wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:23 am
dlr110 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 am I got two items today.
One was 2 books, I'm quickly building up a nice knife library.
The other was a Stag Bone Laguiole Folder knife kit. This is
a very fine knife, so I'm going to work on a few others first
and improve myself before tackling this one. It's not hard,
but I just want to make sure I do the best I can.
Good books, the Hudson Valley one looks really interesting. You'll be making knives from scratch in no time. :roll: ::tu::
Your right Cudgee, I'm going to do a little reading tomorrow in that book. Also funny you should mention making knives from scratch, Cheryl said something like that the other day and I asked her when she was going to get her stuff out of the shed so I would have a place for my forge to go.
My comment was met with a rather "not a chance buster" type of look. :(
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Just came in today. ::ds:: Been waiting for this one since September 30, 2020. This is the 2020 BCCI (Buck Collector's Club Inc.) annual knife. Long story, short...BCCI was supposed to come out with a special 184 Buckmaster for 2020, but due to extenuating circumstances, that didn't come to fruition. So, last minute, Joe Houser got together all the pieces to make a 'special' Custom Buck 687 Mini Vanguard to take the place of the Buckmaster. He was able to make a total of 109 of these...and, well...Lucky Me! The really special thing about this knife is; Joe Houser put his own "HOUSER" logo on the end of the pommel. That makes it even more kool. Joe did a GREAT job in making these. I've never seen any other Buck knife with Joe's logo on it, but doesn't mean they're not out there. Came with COA, but not serialized and I did NOT have my BCCI member number etched onto the blade.

The model 687 closely resembles a model 192 vanguard and in essence, it is actually a mini-vanguard with a 3 - 3/8 inch blade and an overall length of 7 - 3/8 inches compared to the standard model 192 overall length of 8 1/2 inches. Handled with rosewood dymalux and incorporating a green lucite spacer.

Thanx for l@@king!
Attachments
DSCF3427.JPG
DSCF3430.JPG
DSCF3433.JPG
DSCF3435.JPG
DSCF3437.JPG
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:08 am Just came in today. ::ds:: Been waiting for this one since September 30, 2020. This is the 2020 BCCI (Buck Collector's Club Inc.) annual knife. Long story, short...BCCI was supposed to come out with a special 184 Buckmaster for 2020, but due to extenuating circumstances, that didn't come to fruition. So, last minute, Joe Houser got together all the pieces to make a 'special' Custom Buck 687 Mini Vanguard to take the place of the Buckmaster. He was able to make a total of 109 of these...and, well...Lucky Me! The really special thing about this knife is; Joe Houser put his own "HOUSER" logo on the end of the pommel. That makes it even more kool. Joe did a GREAT job in making these. I've never seen any other Buck knife with Joe's logo on it, but doesn't mean they're not out there. Came with COA, but not serialized and I did NOT have my BCCI member number etched onto the blade.

The model 687 closely resembles a model 192 vanguard and in essence, it is actually a mini-vanguard with a 3 - 3/8 inch blade and an overall length of 7 - 3/8 inches compared to the standard model 192 overall length of 8 1/2 inches. Handled with rosewood dymalux and incorporating a green lucite spacer.

Thanx for l@@king!
Congrats LJ. ::tu:: ::tu:: That is some fine craftsmanship!! Beautiful knife.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:50 am
cudgee wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:23 am
dlr110 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 am I got two items today.
One was 2 books, I'm quickly building up a nice knife library.
The other was a Stag Bone Laguiole Folder knife kit. This is
a very fine knife, so I'm going to work on a few others first
and improve myself before tackling this one. It's not hard,
but I just want to make sure I do the best I can.
Good books, the Hudson Valley one looks really interesting. You'll be making knives from scratch in no time. :roll: ::tu::
Your right Cudgee, I'm going to do a little reading tomorrow in that book. Also funny you should mention making knives from scratch, Cheryl said something like that the other day and I asked her when she was going to get her stuff out of the shed so I would have a place for my forge to go.
My comment was met with a rather "not a chance buster" type of look. :(
" Not a Chance Buster ", type of look. Funny That. :lol: :lol: :lol:
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:08 am Just came in today. ::ds:: Been waiting for this one since September 30, 2020. This is the 2020 BCCI (Buck Collector's Club Inc.) annual knife. Long story, short...BCCI was supposed to come out with a special 184 Buckmaster for 2020, but due to extenuating circumstances, that didn't come to fruition. So, last minute, Joe Houser got together all the pieces to make a 'special' Custom Buck 687 Mini Vanguard to take the place of the Buckmaster. He was able to make a total of 109 of these...and, well...Lucky Me! The really special thing about this knife is; Joe Houser put his own "HOUSER" logo on the end of the pommel. That makes it even more kool. Joe did a GREAT job in making these. I've never seen any other Buck knife with Joe's logo on it, but doesn't mean they're not out there. Came with COA, but not serialized and I did NOT have my BCCI member number etched onto the blade.

Thanx for l@@king!
Dotto what Smitty said. ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It is a lovely knife.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

After almost a month of sitting in Palatine, it finally showed up yesterday. It was so off the wall, I just had to have it. Rough Rider don'cha know.
Attachments
Rough Rider RR100 Mini-Trapper Trump 2020 - Labeled.JPG
Rough Rider RR100 Mini-Trapper Trump 2020 - Pile Closed.JPG
Rough Rider RR100 Mini-Trapper Trump 2020 - Pattern Etch.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanx for l@@king!
That's a special knife Ken! ::tu:: Congrats! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:53 pm After almost a month of sitting in Palatine, it finally showed up yesterday. It was so off the wall, I just had to have it. Rough Rider don'cha know.
Glad it finally arrived. USPS delivery has been hit and miss as of late. You don't think the carrier xrayed the contents do ya? That might explain some things. ::rotflol::

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

:mrgreen: Maybe.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Added the Redtail 23LL when CollectorKnives got the final drop a few days ago. Found the 54 on the bay for a very reasonable BIN and couldn't pass it up.
20210121_122529~2.jpg
Trace
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I've become increasingly fond of these little (3 3/4" closed length) Japanese made scrimmed knives for Gutmann. Fine walk and talk; good f&f. They arrive with a very fine edge. The scrimshaw is just a decorative bonus.
Attachments
P1040089 (2).JPG
P1040086 (2).JPG
P1040088 (2).JPG
P1040086 (2).JPG
P1040090 (2).JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful Garry! 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thank you, Smitty, Cudgee, Mark & Garry. I was fortunate to be able to grab this one.

Garry...very nice looking Gutmann. Never seen them before, but eye appealing.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Gutmann is an importer. Years ago they hit it big time when they became the sole importer of Puma knives. This was back in the 1950s.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Reality did not meet expectations. I'm not real sure what I expected but what ever it was, it didn't show up in the mailbox.

MTech Bright Blue Rescue A906BL - Ballistic
Attachments
Mtech Closed.jpg
Mtech Open.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 am Reality did not meet expectations. I'm not real sure what I expected but what ever it was, it didn't show up in the mailbox.

I know very little about the MTech Brand. But the ones I've seen are inexpensive. So I guess you could make it a Truck Knife. ::tu::

Smitty
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

This came in the mail today. Another addition to my Camillus 72 Clone family. It is a Imperial Boy Scout Swell Center Whittler, with black handles, metal Boy Scout Shield, and Has the tang stamp IMPERIAL over PROV R.I. which dates this knife in the 1936-1952 year range, but I am sure this one is from the 50's. This is my second Imperial Scout Whittler 72 clone, but the other one is a later tang stamp.

This one was pretty cruddy, and needed some TLC which included cleaning, oiling and some polishing. It has scratches, and had some light rust inside the wells and the blades were not smooth in opening or closure. As you can tell, a couple of the blades were abused. Now, The Master Clip has good snap, the secondary clip and coping blade have great snap, but the coping blade does have a little looseness side to side. But I am pleased the way it turned out.

Here are some before and after photos.
Before
imp kni.jpg
imp blade.jpg
After
Imp Prov RI Scout_a.png
Imp Prov RI Scout_aa.png
Imp Prov RI Scout_bb.png
Imp Prov RI Scout_c.png

Smitty
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Papa Bones wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:23 am This came in the mail today. Another addition to my Camillus 72 Clone family. It is a Imperial Boy Scout Swell Center Whittler, with black handles, metal Boy Scout Shield, and Has the tang stamp IMPERIAL over PROV R.I. which dates this knife in the 1936-1952 year range, but I am sure this one is from the 50's. This is my second Imperial Scout Whittler 72 clone, but the other one is a later tang stamp.

This one was pretty cruddy, and needed some TLC which included cleaning, oiling and some polishing. It has scratches, and had some light rust inside the wells and the blades were not smooth in opening or closure. As you can tell, a couple of the blades were abused. Now, The Master Clip has good snap, the secondary clip and coping blade have great snap, but the coping blade does have a little looseness side to side. But I am pleased the way it turned out.

Here are some before and after photos.
Before
imp kni.jpg
imp blade.jpg

After
Imp Prov RI Scout_a.png
Imp Prov RI Scout_aa.png
Imp Prov RI Scout_bb.png
Imp Prov RI Scout_c.png
Nice save Smitty... ::nod::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

Great job resurrecting that scout there Smitty! ::tu::
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 am Reality did not meet expectations. I'm not real sure what I expected but what ever it was, it didn't show up in the mailbox.

It's beautiful!
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

The 72 group grows. Congrats Papa Bones. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Received this in the mail today, Shoshui Takeda forged san mai, Aogami Super Blue core with stainless sides. Moriya did the handle wrap in tapered aluminum,(which is similar to a frame handle construction) with bark mammoth and micarta. It has good heft to it and I am very pleased. Well made sheath that holds the knife securely. I sharpened it on a 4k Shapton and a handle wipe down with mineral oil, ready for action.

aapkTakedamammoth.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

77CB1D71-E108-45DE-BF26-0F41838E53E1.jpeg
Real Steel Luna. D2 steel modern slip joint, G10 handles. Excellent F&F. 3 5/8. This knife is lite and comfy. 10 stars.
John ✌️
Attachments
FCA2E6BE-A873-46CC-8BDF-526F792413EF.jpeg
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jmh58 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:24 pm
Nice save Smitty... ::nod::
John :D
Thanks John

Gone2Three wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:36 pm Great job resurrecting that scout there Smitty! ::tu::
Appreciate it G23

doglegg wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:56 pm The 72 group grows. Congrats Papa Bones. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Yes it does Floyd. Thanks.

Smitty

Return to “General Knife Discussion”