Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by DM11 »

Brumbydownunder wrote:All the way from Miami with Hurricane Irma for a tail wind in quick time Nice #77 Yankee Jack in light colored Ebony Wood DSCN6392.JPG

Good score! ::tu::
David
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

From eBay to my house, this 3" Powr-Kraft 84-64 Jack, probably made by Schrade. Good condition, smooth action and great snap. What more could you ask for, for cheap? Ain't she cute?
Attachments
DSC08647.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Got a rawhide series rat today.
Attachments
20170929_182002.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats a beauty Homer ::tu:: Nice Jerry ::nod:: Tsar whats the cutouts on the blade for?
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

garddogg56 wrote:Thats a beauty Homer ::tu:: Nice Jerry ::nod:: Tsar whats the cutouts on the blade for?
GD, the secondary "blade" of the Barlow is a roller skate key. Apparently there are two sizes of square bolt that can be adjusted on vintage roller skates and this skate key is made to do so. Being more of a skateboard/motorcycle guy, I can't really speak to that use.

I've found more use for the tool as a screwdriver, prybar, and general "poke stuff I don't want to ruin the blade with" implement. Plus I do believe the dimensions of the larger cutout are close, if not identical, to the old Prest-O-Lite wrenches used on the valves of gas cans and related items, like headlights on antique cars -- and the tool is similar in form to some of the wrenches built into old pocket knives, like this jack I found in a Google search:
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

A scrimshawed ivory Gerber Silver Knight with a little crack in the stern but still seaworthy.
P9290005.JPG
P9290002.JPG
P9290004.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
garddogg56 wrote:Thats a beauty Homer ::tu:: Nice Jerry ::nod:: Tsar whats the cutouts on the blade for?
GD, the secondary "blade" of the Barlow is a roller skate key. Apparently there are two sizes of square bolt that can be adjusted on vintage roller skates and this skate key is made to do so. Being more of a skateboard/motorcycle guy, I can't really speak to that use.

I've found more use for the tool as a screwdriver, prybar, and general "poke stuff I don't want to ruin the blade with" implement. Plus I do believe the dimensions of the larger cutout are close, if not identical, to the old Prest-O-Lite wrenches used on the valves of gas cans and related items, like headlights on antique cars -- and the tool is similar in form to some of the wrenches built into old pocket knives, like this jack I found in a Google search:

s-l225.jpg
I've heard that those cutouts were for adjusting acetylene gas miner's lamplights. Could have just been a story
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I sent Herman a 13 Colony 275 Clasp., The stag was gorgeous but the blade had some rust and pitting. Herman had a blank blade for it if I could live with a weak tang stamp. I reckon I can live with the weak tang stamp.
SCHRADE 275 CLASP-r  (1).jpg
SCHRADE 275 CLASP-r  (2).jpg
SCHRADE 275 CLASP-r  (3).jpg
SCHRADE 275 CLASP-r  (4).jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Dweb, that is flat out gorgeous!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Q: That is a great pickup. Scrimshaw on ivory. Doesn't get much better than that.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thanks edge...Herman sure does some great work...I'm just the ideas man.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

dweb1897 wrote:I've heard that those cutouts were for adjusting acetylene gas miner's lamplights. Could have just been a story
I imagine that is correct. Here's a Prest-O-Lite acetylene welding torch from ebay which no doubt would have used a similar gas source:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prest-O-Lite-Vi ... 2059903090
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Quick Steel wrote:Q: That is a great pickup. Scrimshaw on ivory. Doesn't get much better than that.
Thanks, QS...I must admit I am quite taken with it. Dale (orvet) has kindly agreed to do a little stabilizing work on the crack which will allow me to carry/handle this little beauty without having to worry about the corner of the handle scale breaking off. Honestly, I don't know how I could continue to collect knives without the kind & generous support of the wonderful members of AAPK. Amazing community we got here...I feel both privileged as well as humbled to be counted among such an awesome group of guys.
::super_happy::
~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I had forgotten I ordered this Sanrenmu LAND 910 until it came in today's mail. One of my buddies was here when I opened it and he instantly fell in love with it. I think he's in the process of ordering one for himself. It is a smooth operator.

Sellers pictures.
Attachments
Sanrenmu LAND 910.jpg
Sanrenmu LAND 910 - half open.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Good scores all over the page. Always like to see the new stuff. Thanks for all the posts everyone. This unique Gunstock pattern Frank Buster F'n Rooster came today. Never seen a rounded off gunstock. Love it. No poky corners. The bone grabbed me, and the blades were cool, the low rider shield is like nothing else I have. Pretty smooth operator and action, bone is red in the right light, and fit and finish as good as any I've seen. Great finishing. Nice knife overall.
Attachments
WP_20170930_005.jpg
WP_20170930_010.jpg
WP_20170930_016.jpg
WP_20170930_023.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I had forgotten I ordered this Sanrenmu LAND 910 until it came in today's mail. One of my buddies was here when I opened it and he instantly fell in love with it. I think he's in the process of ordering one for himself. It is a smooth operator.

Sellers pictures.
Jerry that is a great looking knife! Never heard of that brand, can you give me a little low down on it?
Thanks,
Richard
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bladeguy58 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:I had forgotten I ordered this Sanrenmu LAND 910 until it came in today's mail. One of my buddies was here when I opened it and he instantly fell in love with it. I think he's in the process of ordering one for himself. It is a smooth operator.

Sellers pictures.
Jerry that is a great looking knife! Never heard of that brand, can you give me a little low down on it?
Thanks,
Richard
Smoothest action I've seen on any of these type knives. The thumb stud is easy to use which is a big plus for me because I don't usually do well with them. Came with G-10 handles, it's 4½" closed and very sharp out of the box (not paper slicing sharp). I bought it through GearBest ( https://www.gearbest.com/pocket-knives- ... tml?wid=21 ). It comes in either Army Green or Black for less than $15 shipped. It took three weeks to get it.

My buddy is ordering one. He said "sometimes you get something in your hand that just feels right from the very first instant". His words, not mine. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Iman that's one fine looking rooster ::tu:: . Jerry I really like the two sanrenmu's that I have, may have to get that one too. The one's I have will shave paper or hair out of the box, dangerously sharp. This one showed up in my mail box yestiddy.
Attachments
20171001_074909.jpg
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Pretty canoe Big H.
My first Northwoods knife, ordered Tuesday through KSF and arrived in Friday's mail. Very pleased with this purchase so far, giraffe bone handles.
Attachments
lincoln jack mark side - 1.jpg
lincoln jack pile side - 1.jpg
Greg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That giraffe bone is beautiful. I actually prefer it to stag. I know that is a heretical preference in some quarters. :)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Ivoryman wrote:Good scores all over the page. Always like to see the new stuff. Thanks for all the posts everyone. This unique Gunstock pattern Frank Buster F'n Rooster came today. Never seen a rounded off gunstock. Love it. No poky corners. The bone grabbed me, and the blades were cool, the low rider shield is like nothing else I have. Pretty smooth operator and action, bone is red in the right light, and fit and finish as good as any I've seen. Great finishing. Nice knife overall.
Gorgeous knife Ivoryman!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Thanks Sunknife It's just a el cheapo , but I thought the jigging on it was pretty. It doesn't belong on the same page with your gorgeous knife. Sorry about that. ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Homer, Railsplitter. Appreciate the sentiments. Sunknife, that is one fine looking Giraffe Northwoods. Love that bone. Congrats.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

dweb1897
Herman surely did a cracker of a job on that Clasp. That was a good idea. LOL.
Tony.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I have a dear friend that keeps telling me I'm an ideas man.What usually happens though, is I'll get an idea for a knife and the dirty bugger will have one made while I'm still thinking about.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”