Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:12 pm Eventually, I had to have a knife designed by Ichiro Hattori. No doubt I may have already had some of his work but it would have been done under other brand names. It is a bit of a challenge to find a brand offering a high end production model that was not produced by Hattori: Fallkniven, SOG, Cold Steel, Al Mar, AG Russell, and the list goes on and on.

This 4" bladed knife carries black linen micarta scales with nickel silver guard and steel pins and laynard hole.

The knife is weighted toward the handle which provides maximum control for precision work. I'm thinking of a hunter skinning or preparing game. I can't imagine a better knife for such a task. Offhand I can only think of one other of my knives that has the kind of sharpness provided by this Hattori. That is a knife by Phil Hartsfield who enjoyed an enormous reputation in Japan because his American made swords won so many cutting contests.

Here is one of the finer production knives I have personally handled.

P1040093.JPGP1040094.JPGP1040095.JPGP1040096.JPG
Beautiful knife Garry! ::tu:: I'm a bit confused, do you own this, or have you only handled it? ::shrug:: Thanks! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Sorry for the confusion Marco. I had to double-check to make sure my post was in the Mail Call forum. So, it arrived today from Kennedy Knives which, of course, enabled me to handle it. It feels so good in hand that I keep picking it up again and again.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Wow Gary, WOW! You know my love for the work of the Japanese Masters. Master Hattori makes some of the finest knives ever made, in my opinion. He is slowing down quite a bit so now is the time to pick up his knives.

I got in two Marbles today. One is a Queen made Granddad Barlow with Cocobolo handles. I was uncertain of these Marbles that were made later than 2001, just wasn’t sure the quality would be the same. I can honestly say that the quality is right up there with the other Marbles from that 2001-2003 period of time. This knife is big and heavy. The blade is about as close to Sabre ground as you can get without being Sabre ground. Fit and finish is very good on this.
The second Marbles is from the period of time when Jim Parker owned the Marbles brand. I have not had one made in Germany before. I was dubious about the quality. This felt and seemed so familiar when I looked it over and I couldn’t figure out why? One really great thing about having a knife business is that you get to handle a lot of different knives. Having handled my fair share of Bulldogs, I realized that this might have been made by Bulldog for Marbles. It has the same feel. It’s minus the match strike pulls but everything else about it looks and feels the same. If anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate you letting me know. Parker owned both brands at the time this knife was made, so this make sense.
Attachments
7745A0E2-F6E0-47A2-A899-FB858EF28592.jpeg
4E793B16-D8D9-4386-A72A-FBBBF692114E.jpeg
C5D09696-6136-4DCB-BB98-5FF79137E570.jpeg
E0FFA436-9120-4C3A-ADBC-7E6AE903614D.jpeg
A950C623-537A-445E-8AEC-5709DCCCAEE2.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 pm Sorry for the confusion Marco. I had to double-check to make sure my post was in the Mail Call forum. So, it arrived today from Kennedy Knives which, of course, enabled me to handle it. It feels so good in hand that I keep picking it up again and again.
O.K. I got it Garry, thanks for clearing that up! Congrats on your new treasure, it's absolutely stunning! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:58 pm Wow Gary, WOW! You know my love for the work of the Japanese Masters. Master Hattori makes some of the finest knives ever made, in my opinion. He is slowing down quite a bit so now is the time to pick up his knives.

I got in two Marbles today. One is a Queen made Granddad Barlow with Cocobolo handles. I was uncertain of these Marbles that were made later than 2001, just wasn’t sure the quality would be the same. I can honestly say that the quality is right up there with the other Marbles from that 2001-2003 period of time. This knife is big and heavy. The blade is about as close to Sabre ground as you can get without being Sabre ground. Fit and finish is very good on this.
The second Marbles is from the period of time when Jim Parker owned the Marbles brand. I have not had one made in Germany before. I was dubious about the quality. This felt and seemed so familiar when I looked it over and I couldn’t figure out why? One really great thing about having a knife business is that you get to handle a lot of different knives. Having handled my fair share of Bulldogs, I realized that this might have been made by Bulldog for Marbles. It has the same feel. It’s minus the match strike pulls but everything else about it looks and feels the same. If anyone knows for sure, I would appreciate you letting me know. Parker owned both brands at the time this knife was made, so this make sense.
Both gorgeous knives Mark! Congrats! And you are a lucky guy being able to handle so many different knives without having to buy them first, that way you can get the cream-of-the-crop! Enjoy your new knives! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, that Marbles MOP certainly has the look of the always classy Bulldog MOP.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:12 pm Eventually, I had to have a knife designed by Ichiro Hattori.
That's a beautiful knife, Garry. If I didn't know better I would have guessed it was a Bob Loveless / Al Mar collaboration (with a hint of Bob Dozier thrown in for good measure). I can understand why it's hard to put down once you've got it in hand. GREAT SCORE...congratulations. ::tu::
~Q~
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for your comments Q. Almost makes me want to go hunt something so I can use the blade for skinning some game.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Typical of your knives QS, absolutely fabulous!! ::nod:: ::nod::

SSK, I especially like the German one. ::nod:: ::nod::

I received one that is the answer to the question: "What knife tasted the most G.I. blood in WW2"?

The answer is the Camillus made scalpel. Although not a pocket knife I found it interesting.
DSCN6852.JPG
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Got these two in the mail today. Haven't decided what type of handle material
I'm going to use yet. ::hmm:: I was working with some curly maple the other day and
really botched that one up. ::facepalm:: Thank goodness it was on an old beat up knife
so I really didn't loose anything. I'm learning and I'm slowly getting the right
equipment for doing the work.
Attachments
20210128_095630.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

dlr110 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:06 pm Got these two in the mail today. Haven't decided what type of handle material
I'm going to use yet. ::hmm:: I was working with some curly maple the other day and
really botched that one up. ::facepalm:: Thank goodness it was on an old beat up knife
so I really didn't loose anything. I'm learning and I'm slowly getting the right
equipment for doing the work.
Keep us updated on your progress. :)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Got these two Rough Ryder’s in the mail today. Blame Dan (Old Folder)
he talk me into it. Just joking Dan :D
Very simple construction, Very well made and very sharp.
Attachments
20210129_161240.jpg

Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Just got in, and the mail lady had droppped a box off that came from Roland up in Canada. Got em out and will get them posted thru out the weekend in appropriate places. All are nice clean,tight pieces of Cutlery. The Utility fits in one area of interest,the 4 line& long line fill caps in my Camillus section and the little Schrade Walden, well not a Schrade guy ,but that’s a really nice little main ,and the bones are just awesome. So it’s got a new home for a little while.
Been nice watching you all get mail, helps keep the blood flowing. Hope this finds everyone safe and warm. Take care .
Attachments
F2574F36-2E4C-456A-BAA3-3324E7EBE2A5.jpeg
F773FCA1-E773-4A73-B7E9-CDF52A6307C8.jpeg
EBDB355C-B58E-454F-97DE-54AD188DD262.jpeg
37552258-06C0-4F78-B07C-5028E34DB0A3.jpeg
4E2D25E8-B381-4C62-A3E6-EE00FCD81332.jpeg
JP
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

As a fan of the Camillus 716 I've always wanted to add one of the stag versions to the collection and was finally able to. Usually these are seen in an anniversary release in a wood box and blade etch, this is not one of those so just a regular release. The complexity of the lock release makes the stag version even more interesting at least to me as the inside portion of the stag next to the liner had to be hollowed out to allow the mechanism to function.

Anyway, enough rambling.
Attachments
Camillus 716 stag
Camillus 716 stag
Camillus 716 stag
Camillus 716 stag
Trace
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Rotten wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:14 am As a fan of the Camillus 716 I've always wanted to add one of the stag versions to the collection and was finally able to. Usually these are seen in an anniversary release in a wood box and blade etch, this is not one of those so just a regular release. The complexity of the lock release makes the stag version even more interesting at least to me as the inside portion of the stag next to the liner had to be hollowed out to allow the mechanism to function.

Anyway, enough rambling.
That’s a beautiful piece of Cutlery there Sir! That stag is gorgeous,on both sides!! And a Camillus 716 , nice.
Thanks for sharing your pics. ::tu::
JP
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:22 am
Rotten wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:14 am As a fan of the Camillus 716 I've always wanted to add one of the stag versions to the collection and was finally able to. Usually these are seen in an anniversary release in a wood box and blade etch, this is not one of those so just a regular release. The complexity of the lock release makes the stag version even more interesting at least to me as the inside portion of the stag next to the liner had to be hollowed out to allow the mechanism to function.

Anyway, enough rambling.
That’s a beautiful piece of Cutlery there Sir! That stag is gorgeous,on both sides!! And a Camillus 716 , nice.
Thanks for sharing your pics. ::tu::
Thank you JP.
Trace
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Anyway, enough rambling.
That's a good looking knife Trace.

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

doglegg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:32 pm Typical of your knives QS, absolutely fabulous!! ::nod:: ::nod::

I received one that is the answer to the question: "What knife tasted the most G.I. blood in WW2"?

The answer is the Camillus made scalpel. Although not a pocket knife I found it interesting. DSCN6852.JPG
Wow! Those must be really rare. I decided to look for one of those after seeing it in a list of military knives. Yours is the first I've seen in "the flesh".
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

dlr110 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:14 am

Anyway, enough rambling.
That's a good looking knife Trace.
Thank you David.
Trace
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:25 am
doglegg wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:32 pm Typical of your knives QS, absolutely fabulous!! ::nod:: ::nod::

The answer is the Camillus made scalpel. Although not a pocket knife I found it interesting. DSCN6852.JPG
Wow! Those must be really rare. I decided to look for one of those after seeing it in a list of military knives. Yours is the first I've seen in "the flesh".
That is the first one I have seen. I sent you a pm. Hope it helps. ::handshake::
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

Good evening all my fellow knife fans. It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. While I prefer a big stockman, the Queen 49 or Case 6375, daily carry dictates something that’s a pleasant compromise. I really have gotten to appreciate the medium sizes, the Case 6347 or the other classic brands equivalent of that size. While I’m stoked to have a Case 6392, it’s a hoss. Saw this Boker and snagged it as a late Christmas gift. The fit and finish are excellent. It’s a shame that from recent reports we’ve all seen that Boker will be discontinuing these patterns made in Solingen. Anyway, I hope everyone has had a great start for 2021. Lord knows last year was a roller coaster. Stay safe everyone, and have a great weekend!!!
Phil
Attachments
AEF2672C-3A85-4773-8130-31AA21791187.jpeg
8B7886B4-4CB1-4634-A429-9D4755ED0355.jpeg
E152487A-3E9F-46E5-9F9D-4067B7EB8DFD.jpeg
75C85A47-755F-43A2-A366-32E9D79AE040.jpeg
AAF90F63-F005-4DD5-B6C4-6DB8B263035D.jpeg
robertj298

Post by robertj298 »

I really like Snakewood
Attachments
IMG_0506.jpg
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Been away from the pc for a bit so just now catching up.
dlr110 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:05 am Got these two Rough Ryder’s in the mail today.
Very Nice David!!

Ripster wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:42 pm Just got in, and the mail lady had droppped a box off that came from Roland up in Canada.
JP, those are gorgeous.Eye and pocket candy for sure. ::tu:: ::tu::

A bunch of nice knives showing up. Congrats guys.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

phil0175 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:23 am Good evening all my fellow knife fans. It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. While I prefer a big stockman, the Queen 49 or Case 6375, daily carry dictates something that’s a pleasant compromise. I really have gotten to appreciate the medium sizes, the Case 6347 or the other classic brands equivalent of that size. While I’m stoked to have a Case 6392, it’s a hoss. Saw this Boker and snagged it as a late Christmas gift. The fit and finish are excellent. It’s a shame that from recent reports we’ve all seen that Boker will be discontinuing these patterns made in Solingen. Anyway, I hope everyone has had a great start for 2021. Lord knows last year was a roller coaster. Stay safe everyone, and have a great weekend!!!
Phil
That is a beauty Philip. ::nod::
robertj298 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:35 pm I really like Snakewood
As well you should. ::tu::
phil0175
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by phil0175 »

That is a beauty Philip. ::nod::

Thank you!!!!!! :D

Return to “General Knife Discussion”