Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Mail Call !-Post your new pick-ups here............

Post by TripleF »

Couple parts knives but this wasn't one of them....
Attachments
IMG_6180.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
ss69

Post by ss69 »

woodwalker wrote:Got this Case Tony Bose Backpocket with Ebony handles recently. Really liking the thin profile and it is quite large. Wonder how long I will have it before I get the "wanting to carry it" moment! :-) These pretty ones are sure hard for me to put in my pocket! :) Thanks for looking.
That's a handsome knife, but then I like anything in ebony. I like a thin knife myself and these do feel slimmer in hand than the bone versions, but I've never measured them to know if that's true or just how it feels.

Tom
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

ss69 wrote:
woodwalker wrote:Got this Case Tony Bose Backpocket with Ebony handles recently. Really liking the thin profile and it is quite large. Wonder how long I will have it before I get the "wanting to carry it" moment! :-) These pretty ones are sure hard for me to put in my pocket! :) Thanks for looking.
That's a handsome knife, but then I like anything in ebony. I like a thin knife myself and these do feel slimmer in hand than the bone versions, but I've never measured them to know if that's true or just how it feels.

Tom
Thank you Tom! It sure feels good in the hand! I imagine it would make a fine hunting knife if I didnt already use my Western 39 fixed blade! I think it would be a little thinner than the bone version. I appreciate your comments. I like Ebony knives too!! :)
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

my new to me camp knife ::tu:: esee Izula ::tu::
20180221_142140_crop_1002x988.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

In contrast to the slim, ebony Case/Tony Bose Back Pocket knife, this Taylor Elk Horn Punkin' Seed LB has some fat stag handles that are great on a small (3") knife like this to give you something to hold onto.
P2210006.JPG
P2210004.JPG
P2210011.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Not a typical week for me. All Remington's
Attachments
20180222_091718.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Wow! That's a haul of Remmys! ::tu::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

espn77 wrote:Not a typical week for me. All Remington's
Sweet scores Keith ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I been looking for a Remington Hawkbill for my Horticultural knives - I think I know where they are going now ::tounge:: ...

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Ivoryman wrote:Picked these two up recently. Wanted to compare and contrast for anyone interested. If not, a more sympathetic ear you will not find, please skip to the last paragraph. Otherwise I picked these two because they're from the same factory, same people made them, same frame, pattern #56, size, weight. But the similarities begin and end right there and they feel like completely different knives and that surprised me.
The Northwoods sure is nice, almost all of their giraffe and camel bone offerings are outstanding. But one thing that dirves me absolutely BATTY about them (and other recent GECs): There is NO EXCUSE for a sunken pin on a $200 smooth bone knife. ::td:: That's one similarity between the mainline GECs and the SFO Northwoods that I do not care for at all. Why not use slightly longer pin stock and just grind it down to flush? It's a night and day difference aesthetically in my view.

I'd write a letter to GEC about this but I suspect they've already gotten some and have decided not to take action on their fabrication processes. Hey, they're selling out regardless, right? ::disgust::
ss69 wrote:It’s been a while since I posted here, the urge to jump into the discuss on a forum comes and goes, today it showed up. Not my newest addition, but one of the newer ones a Case 6292 Texas jack in green bone from 1985. A real nice like new knife and it came from right here in our very own AAPK store!
I love the 92 frame and the 6292 jack. I've got an early 80s brown bone, an early 90s red bone, and a more recent brown bone (all jigged). But that forest green smokes all of 'em. Consider yourself lucky that you spotted that beauty before I did, because I would have snapped it up if I'd seen it scrolling across the top of the page. :mrgreen: ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sunken pins are great, I don't know why it would bother anyone since it's so insignificant? You don't feel a metal rivet, you feel all smooth bone. Six months from now after the bone shrinks and use changes it slightly, that "flush" spring pin will not be flush anymore. You will feel it. I don't like to run my fingers over the spring pin and feel the metal corner of the top of a pin in the transition as I do on my older Northwoods knives. Sunken pins stop that dead. And you can see down in the bone and below the surface slightly which I like. And the pins are rounded so they have that top rounded cap that is flush with the bone so you don't feel a hole. And I like feeling more bone, less metal. And I paid less than $150 for ALL of my Northwoods except the Fayette. The Delta their second to last release too. The only one I ever paid more for was the Fayette and it was $189. And that was a flipping bargain, less than they're worth. You can sell them for MUCH MUCH more, all day, every day. Countersinking has it's place. I like how it feels and what I like in a handle is good feel. This knife has that and so much more and you haven't had mine in your hands. Might like it.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Today's I was delivered this Camillus #51 Barlow with the typical sawcut Delrin. I had been looking for a Barlow for a while and when I saw one that didn't have a broken blade AND it was also a Camillus, I snagged it. :)
IMG_20180222_140336.jpg
IMG_20180222_140359.jpg
IMG_20180222_140405.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Sweet score, TFL ::tu:: ::tu::
Looks in great shape.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Now you get to collect all the variants of those sawcut Camillus 51s. :lol:

Here are a few of mine (old pic):
27312178194_e34c287c4b_k.jpg
Left to right: Camillus 51 (slant stamp - 70s/80s?), Remington 9505 (there are at least 4 color variations which came in square two-piece "Heritage" boxes), Camco 551, Camco sheepsfoot Barlow (552?), Ka-Bar 1013 (70s-80s).

Welcome to the wonderful, addicting, and often expensive world of Barlow collecting. :mrgreen: ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Today's I was delivered this Camillus #51 Barlow with the typical sawcut Delrin. I had been looking for a Barlow for a while and when I saw one that didn't have a broken blade AND it was also a Camillus, I snagged it. :)

IMG_20180222_140336.jpg
IMG_20180222_140359.jpg
IMG_20180222_140405.jpg
Nice pickup. Got me one of them CAMCO Barlows with the sheepsfoot blade! Well built barlows. I am sure you will like that one!! :)
TigerWolf_Rosebud

Post by TigerWolf_Rosebud »

20180222_170234.jpg
Mail call! 2018 tribal lock wharncliff, burnt indigo. My first wharncliff and I love these scales,
20180222_170146.jpg
20180222_170252.jpg
Knife collecting Deadhead :mrgreen:
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

TigerWolf_Rosebud wrote:20180222_170234.jpgMail call! 2018 tribal lock wharncliff, burnt indigo. My first wharncliff and I love these scales,20180222_170146.jpg20180222_170252.jpg
Wow TigerWolf that is a beauty for sure! I dont have one but after seeing yours I will keep my eyes peeled for one. I like the scales and the pattern and the warncliff blade! Its got everything going for it! Great pickup! :)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

TigerWolf_Rosebud wrote:20180222_170234.jpgMail call! 2018 tribal lock wharncliff, burnt indigo. My first wharncliff and I love these scales,20180222_170146.jpg20180222_170252.jpg
That is beautiful!
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

TigerWolf_Rosebud wrote:Mail call! 2018 tribal lock wharncliff, burnt indigo. My first wharncliff and I love these scales
Outstanding bone on that beauty, and I like that slick, slopey Wharnie blade. I must have one! ::paranoid:: But isn't that a copperlock, not a tribal lock? Not that I would put it past Case to do a little brand name juggling with some of the new products, but the copperlock has a following of its own.

Better start checking my credit balance at the knife dealers... ::smirk::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
TigerWolf_Rosebud wrote:Mail call! 2018 tribal lock wharncliff, burnt indigo. My first wharncliff and I love these scales
But isn't that a copperlock, not a tribal lock?
You are correct, Tony...it's a Burnt Indigo Bone Copperlock 61549WL. And it is a beautiful knife, indeed.
Good score, TigerWolf.
I sure like mine.
P4130442.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
gino

Post by gino »

Q and Tiger that knife is very cool so cool I just bought one for myself
I’ll post her when she gets here
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Good call, gino...you won't regret it. I'm just surprised this knife is still available from dealers, not to mention for less than $60. But, I guess one of the benefits (to collectors of other brands) of the GEC/Northwoods Beatlemania-like-frenzy taking over the spotlight at center stage is less attention on and more availability of some really great knives like this Case Copperlock for amazingly reasonable retail prices. That totally works for me.

~Q~

~Q~
TigerWolf_Rosebud

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Outstanding bone on that beauty, and I like that slick, slopey Wharnie blade. I must have one! ::paranoid:: But isn't that a copperlock, not a tribal lock? Not that I would put it past Case to do a little brand name juggling with some of the new products, but the copperlock has a following of its own.

Better start checking my credit balance at the knife dealers... ::smirk::

You are exactly right, my mistake. It is most definitely a copperlock.
TigerWolf_Rosebud

Thanks guys, it's a real Beauty. All for less than $60 from Atlantic knife. I was just looking through different knife Distributors and ran across Atlantic knife. They have a huge selection, bigger than most , and had this beautiful copperlock for $57 with free shipping.
Attachments
20180223_043605.jpg
gino

Post by gino »

I got it at Deadwood knives for 54.95 with free shipping
It sure looks like a beauty and beats the cost of Gecs I can’t wait to get her
Ithe last knife I bought was a week ago for 120.00 plus 7.00 shipping and it was a piece of crap I sent it back and am awaiting a refund
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Gino, I just read your signature line and I thought, "There's a difference between a 'cheap' knife and an 'inexpensive' knife." And I have to agree with you...life is too short to carry [or collect] a cheap knife. The Case Copperlock may be inexpensive, but it certainly ain't cheap. In fact, I feel it's comparable to my GEC and Northwoods knives in every way (and even superior in some ways), but a much better deal for the money. That an American company can manufacture a knife of such high quality and sell it for such a low price is truly amazing.

The Wharncliffe Copperlock 549WL is one of my top three collectible Case patterns (Mini Trapper 07W, Copperhead 49W).

Here's my 1549WL collection:
P8090364.JPG
P2080005.JPG
~Q~

~Q~

Return to “General Knife Discussion”