What's the best?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
BrokenCamillus

What's the best?

Post by BrokenCamillus »

What's the best book about pocket knives that has information on styles, makers, the history of pocket knives, and a short guide of what's collectible and what isn't?

I know this is probably an impossible question to answer, but please don't get lost in the books that just give prices. That's not what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for the history of a specific maker, or of a specific country of origin.

I would like a comprehensive book that starts with Europe (?) and includes as many of the great knife makers of the U.S. as possible to cover up to the 20th century.

It would be a big plus if this book has a section on the basics of pocket knife construction as well. That is, the way they are made at the cutlery, not necessarily "how to" make a pocket knife.

If you decide these topics are only covered by two different books than tell me the best two books on pocket knives you know. Maybe this book hasn't been written, and you can say that as well, but please give it a try.

Thanks
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

books

Post by jonet143 »

levine's guides are very good start for historys and dating. go tp your library and some can be checked out. their are a fair amount of books out there. i want them all.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

I'm with Johnnie, Levine's Guide to Knives #4 is probably the best choice for the information your looking for. This book has been out of print for a few years, and is getting hard to find.
Take Care
Gary
LC

Post by LC »

Well if your looking for the older books that are out of print a good plaace to start is http://www.knifeworld.com give them a try ::tu:: They have a lot of older books you just have to find the ones you want ::tu::
BrokenCamillus

Stumbling seems to work (I hope)

Post by BrokenCamillus »

While looking for a copy of Levine's Guide to Knives I came across another Levine book that sounds like a good bet. Pocket Knives: The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier.

Does anyone have this book? I had to order it directly from the publisher, DIANE Publishing Company. I don't think it will be as detailed in the history department, but the rest of the description sounds good.

Excerpt from DIANE Publishing: This unique guide narrates the history and origins of the most famous and fancy-handled pocket knives. It describes and explains how they were made in the past and are collected and identified today. The guide also features a wealth of color illustrations of the major types of pocket knives -- from folding knives with solid gold fruit blades to whittlers and delicate lobster knives -- and includes key information on identifying and buying, as well as a useful reading list that will be of value to all pocket knife enthusiasts. Also lists museum collections, and how to identify counterfeits.

I think the reading list will be helpful. :)
To understand the history of Man, study the tools he uses.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

If you want a copy of Levine's #4, check out knife shows. I found a copy at the OKCA show in Eugene, OR earlier this year.
Bernard had a table there and was gracious enough to sign the copy for me. I paid $35 for a copy in very good condition. That is an excellent price. I saw another copy at that show for $55. I have heard of them selling for more than $75.

They are getting hard to find, but they are worth it.

Dale
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

I heard the 5th edition is not very good. Anyone have an opinion on recently published Blades guide which I understand to be a 6th ed of sorts. Reviews have been pretty good. :) s-k

Return to “General Knife Discussion”