How About a Pal Cutlery Thread?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How About a Pal Cutlery Thread?

Post by treefarmer »

Ivoryman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:26 pm Love these old Pals
That is a real looker, Ivoryman!
Question about the shield in the 1st picture: it appears to be standing rather proud above the bone, is it or is it not?
I have 20 Pals and only 3 of them have shields, 2 are the round shield and one is a federal style on a smooth black handled single blade.
My observation is that there were more Pal pocketknives made without shields, any thoughts on that idea?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

treefarmer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:34 am
Question about the shield in the 1st picture: it appears to be standing rather proud above the bone, is it or is it not?
I have 20 Pals and only 3 of them have shields, 2 are the round shield and one is a federal style on a smooth black handled single blade.
My observation is that there were more Pal pocketknives made without shields, any thoughts on that idea?
Treefarmer
You're right, it's proud and seems to me to be more affixed over the bone instead of inlayed into it. It doesn't bother me or seem like it was done as a mistake since the shield is rounded off and very well done. You would think it would be more obtrusive and in the way or annoying but it's not. I have had other knives like that but it is more rare. I also have another Pal with a shield and it does not protrude as far, well set in the bone. Good eyes to notice that.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Ivoryman wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:06 am
treefarmer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:34 am
Treefarmer
You're right, it's proud and seems to me to be more affixed over the bone instead of inlayed into it. It doesn't bother me or seem like it was done as a mistake since the shield is rounded off and very well done. You would think it would be more obtrusive and in the way or annoying but it's not. I have had other knives like that but it is more rare. I also have another Pal with a shield and it does not protrude as far, well set in the bone. Good eyes to notice that.
I have some old knives where the shield seems to be more atop the bone, rather than inlaid. I think of it as the bone is so nice, they didn't want to risk messing it up or weakening through the inlaying process. Not sure if there is any truth or accuracy to that, its just the way I have always thought of it.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I have some Pals with high shields and one with a missing shield that was obviously "proud" by the condition of the remaining area. They don't seem to be inlaid; the bone is simply filed a bit flat under the shield especially on the thinner patterns with more rounded scales. I've seen the same situation on other brands too. I'll search around for some picture candidates. J.O
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

313 Mike wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:09 am Wow, Ivory...you sure do have a diverse collection of some really impressive knives. You have great taste in cutlery.
Ahh you're too kind, very nice of you to say and thanks a bunch for the compliment. It's all due to the people around here who post all these cool knives and stuff and get me lusting after one for myself and then the hunting down and paying up. Watch out, it's addictive around here, you can get a whole lot lighter in the pocket book and a whole lot heavier knife roll in the never ending quest to find another copy of something you've seen here on the threads. That's why I bought Pals and so many others. Monkey see, monkey do. ::facepalm:: ::teary_eyes::
Attachments
WP_20170504_017.jpg
WP_20170504_020.jpg
WP_20180130_002.jpg
WP_20180130_008.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Another beauty, Iman!
Here’s my one and only...
Attachments
66A03792-1F53-4D9D-A47F-9014B32C2961.jpeg
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Ivoryman wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:13 am
313 Mike wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:09 am Wow, Ivory...you sure do have a diverse collection of some really impressive knives. You have great taste in cutlery.
Ahh your too kind, very nice of you to say and thanks a bunch for the compliment. It's all due to the people around here who post all these cool knives and stuff and get me lusting after one for myself and then the hunting down and paying up. Watch out, it's addictive around here, you can get a whole lot lighter in the pocket book and a whole lot heavier knife roll in the never ending quest to find another copy of something you've seen here on the threads. That's why I bought Pals and so many others. Monkey see, monkey do. ::facepalm:: ::teary_eyes::
Mmmm bones. ::nod:: ::nod::
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

1/2 dozen with composite handles
Attachments
Pal blade co.   Pal cutlery co
Pal blade co. Pal cutlery co
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks tvic and doglegg.
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

A stocking full of bone .
Pal blade co.  PAl cutlery ci
Pal blade co. PAl cutlery ci
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Fine looking knives fellers. 👍 x10
doglegg
Gold Tier